Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

75.64km @ 5.04 average
    MLR home from work on Monday, lap around UCD before heading home, then a few days of just runmuting. Inlaws visited Thursday so no club session, and no run on Friday - it would be an easy day anyway, and a 40 minute easy run through the dark always fails to lure me out of bed. Saturday was back to the hill session in Tymon, to make up for the missed session Thursday. This morning was a 20k run around Tymon. This was pretty slow - tired from yesterday, or because it was an early unfuelled start, I don't know, but I had to be done, home, and back out by 9am to go to the XC league race.
    Scheduling is a bit of a problem at the moment, I'm coaching Tuesday evening and early Wednesday evening, so I can't do the club session Tuesday or the MLR Wednesday, everything is happening Thursday to Monday

84.51k @5.04 average
    MLR on Monday, around UCD then home, easy runs Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning. Thursday evening, club session, 12x400 with a minute recovery (about 85 seconds on average), and Friday off. Saturday it was back to Tymon for the hill session, and this morning Tymon again for a longer run, 20k. 80 minutes after I finished I was back in Tymon for the kids training. After an extremely slow and creaky warmup I joined in on their hill session :)
    I've really felt the increased distance in my knees this week. Plenty of foam rolling seems to have helped, massage yesterday, and a light week coming up - no running Monday or Tuesday because of platelet donation, no club session Thursday because of the table quiz.

very easy week - 48.37 @ 5.08
    No running Monday, Tuesday, or Friday, and just the home/work pair on Wednesday and Thursday. Hill session in Tymon again yesterday, and this morning's long run had to be cut short so I could get into the Phoenix Park for the last cross country league race. Another lovely day for running, those kids are getting spoiled this year! Bumped into Marthastew and Ministew (or should that be Maxistew?), both making cross country debuts today - if she runs as well as he did then Fionnuala Britton will be looking over her shoulder:) Kid A did great too, finished just behind in 5th, racing really well, and wrapping up third overall in the league :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

RayCun wrote: »
    ) Kid A did great too, finished just behind in 5th, racing really well, and wrapping up third overall in the league :cool:

Go on my son!! :D

84.53km @ 4.52 average
    Usual out/in Monday/Tuesday, Wednesday/Thursday, with a loop of UCD to start on Monday.
    Thursday I was going to take it easy, but our 400m champion had been assigned a 3 mile time trial so a few of us decided to keep her company. I went out fast so she'd chase me rather than run easy with jcsmum and PVincent, they ended up chasing her down.
    Saturday, OH and I went up to Marlay for a parkrun. I was getting bored of my hill intervals and need to start racing more regularly, she is doing the Remembrance run next month and wanted some race practice, so it suited us both. Claralara and Digger were volunteering, and Marthastew was out for a shorter jog before the long one tomorrow, but given the weekend, none of the fast runners were around. I guess I blew my best chance at a race win (except it's a timed run, not a race :) ) Anyway, there was a group of 7 at the front after the first lap, and apart from 1 teenager dropping off and a lad from Kilcoole moving up, it was the same 7 at the finish line. The race run went well enough - knees were sore in the warmup but fine during the run. Its not the fastest of courses but a nice one for a low-key run. Finished in 18.26, reasonable enough, and (I heard later) ahead of another 400m runner, David Gillick.
    Today I took advantage of the extra time to do my longest run in a while, 25k in just over 2 hours, around the mud and wind of Tymon.

• Advertisement

Getting my retaliation in first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Staying ahead?
    Who said you were ahead?? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

menoscemo wrote: »
    Staying ahead?
    must be taking about age ;)

Staying ahead?

:)
    Find a distance I've raced in the last two years where she has a better PB :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Haha brilliant!

• Advertisement

89.2k @ 4.53 pace

I thought base-building was supposed to be easy:rolleyes:
    This week was very simple - run for an hour every day at an easy pace. Unfortunately that hour on Monday came after stewarding, a couple of pints and a late dinner, and on Thursday it was after trick-or-treating and OH's gym class, so both evenings I did 11 laps of the local park in the dark. Off work on Friday so the last few days I could do morning laps of Tymon, much easier. Still feel pretty knackered at the end of the week, but next week should be a bit easier.

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87
    December|83|166.58|285
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604

92.05km @ 4.54 average
    Enjoyed this week much more
    Wednesday summed it up - I felt tired and stiff-legged all day, work was manic, it was cold, dark and spitting rain outside, and when I went to put on my running gear I discovered I'd packed my son's extra-small top from last year's Rathfarnham 5k rather than my own :rolleyes: But once I got out, the run felt fast and easy :) a really nice run
    Not all runs this week were as good, but I feel stronger, not as tired, more like a runner again...

56.31 @ 5.00 average

Off-plan this week... Platelet donation on Monday, so 3 days of no running. Thursdays run around UCD and home was the complete opposite of last week - stiff, sore,and slow all the way around. Saturday we had a club run from Marlay Park up Kilmashogue and to the pylons on Ticknock (?), then back to Marlay park for tea and a lot of cake (three birthdays, we had a good excuse :) ) About 16k round trip, might do the same again on Stephens' Day. Just an hour around Tymon this morning, but then I was up again a couple of hours later for a juvenile/adults training session. Should have worn the Garmin because I put in at least another 30 minutes of running...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Any races planned Ray? JB 5k?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Any races planned Ray? JB 5k?

Yeah, I'll try not to let you out of sight :-)

Yeah, I'll try not to let you out of sight :-)

I love a showdown! :)

79.25k @ 4.54 pace

Annoying... it's been a tiring week, but training was on target, until after 3/4 days of being coughed and sneezed on by the younger disease factory I've finally succumbed :( I don't feel too bad, but my chest is tight and breathing restricted. Okay for a bit of training with the kids, but a 2 hour run was definitely out.

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34
    December|83|166.58|285
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604

Finally back over the 200

88.98 @ 4.52/km

Missed Monday's run as well, getting over that mild bug. Tuesday's run was sore and stiff, as it always seems to be after a couple of days off. I just don't cope well with rest days. The rest of the week went to plan and the strides are feeling good. After being told about half a dozen times by the juvenile coaches that I need to lift my knees more, I had the bright idea last week of ... trying to lift my knees more. The difference is probably invisible to the naked eye, but it's something else to think about as I run.
    The only problem since Monday was trying to do my run this morning. Got up too late for the whole 2 hours, but managed to fit in 90 minutes before eating, showering, changing, and getting back to Tymon for the juvenile unevens. Alex was on a revenge run this morning - last year at the Dublin champs he finished 13th, the first finisher not to get a medal. So he was left standing in the chute while all the kids in front of him were taken into the pen and cheered :( Last night and this morning he was a bundle of nerves, he's done well this year but this was the race he was worried about. But he smashed it :) 8th place overall and first home from the club, he's delighted with himself. Off to Waterford in two weeks, and it looks like I'll have to run too...

a real OMGWTF run last night - got out at 8pm for a 2 hour run, went to the local park and ran a lap, and another, and another... 24 :eek: x 1k laps
    Knackered and frozen by the time I finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

a real OMGWTF run last night - got out at 8pm for a 2 hour run, went to the local park and ran a lap, and another, and another... 24 :eek: x 1k laps
    Knackered and frozen by the time I finished

:eek:
    Maybe it was a 'clear your head' run after LA? :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    :eek:
    Maybe it was a 'clear your head' run after LA? :)

:) I have to remember to buy and bring a whistle to those sessions. I can't shout loud enough, so I had to use an angry shouting voice to be heard at one point. It worked - boy did it work! - but I might be the scary coach now :pac:

24k run 4 days before a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

:) I have to remember to buy and bring a whistle to those sessions. I can't shout loud enough, so I had to use an angry shouting voice to be heard at one point. It worked - boy did it work! - but I might be the scary coach now :pac:

I'm the scary coach for the smallies. :mad:

25.75k!
    The race is just for fun, I'm marathon training :)
    This weekend we're going to a training session in Athlone, so yesterday was my only chance for a long run. I had to cut it short last week because of XC, and I didn't want to miss two in a row.

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm the scary coach for the smallies. :mad:

Every group needs at least one scary coach :pac:

25.75k!
    The race is just for fun, I'm marathon training :)
    This weekend we're going to a training session in Athlone, so yesterday was my only chance for a long run. I had to cut it short last week because of XC, and I didn't want to miss two in a row.

Plus it adds to your continuing sand-bagging! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

24k run 4 days before a race?

Maybe it would be an issue if he was a track fairy ;)
    I intend doing a 14 miler tonight; problem? :pac:

Maybe it would be an issue if he was a track fairy ;)
    I intend doing a 14 miler tonight; problem? :pac:

Ah I see, you're probably only doing the race as an MP run anyway?! Or maybe you're pacing someone!? ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ah I see, you're probably only doing the race as an MP run anyway?! Or maybe you're pacing someone!? ;) :pac:

ha ha love it pconn, there's a lot of fight talk from you lately! keep it up :)

Advertisement