Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

RayCun wrote: »

Thanks man... Bookmarked it and will look at this over the next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

7 gold, 10 silver, and 5 bronze indoor medals - in just the field events :)

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3

low energy, dead legs... usual pre-race stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck tomorrow Ray, use the first 5k to settle in then treat it like a ten mile race if you're feeling good.

1.23.07 (21.2k @ 3.55) :)

This was my last race before injury last year. Well, not before injury - it was becoming more and more of a problem through February, this is the race that convinced me I had to stop running and sort it out. This year I'm not as fit as I was a year ago, but I'm not limping everywhere either. Going into this race I was hoping I wasn't too far back on last year, but knew that whatever the result, I'd be able to build on it instead of crashing to a stop. A lot of the motivation for running this race was to just put it behind me and move on.
    Didn't have my chauffeurs today so had an interesting tour of the sites of Meath and Cavan before the race, luckily I had left in plenty of time ;) so got to meet some of the club gang before heading out for a short warmup. Start line was switched around this year so we were away only a minute late, just as well given the weather. Spent the first few k settling into a pace and group, eventually lined up behind a guy from St Finbars, with a couple of guys from Donore and a guy all in black who turned out to be from Mullingar Harriers (he came up to me afterwards and said he though we were going for the same category prize. Cheeky fecker is an M60!!:pac::rolleyes::o) A couple of miles in and there's a guy ahead stopped to tie his lace - it's the same Clonliffe guy who tailed me around last year, he joined in the group too.
    First lap was fairly steady, and I think bang on 3.55 pace, until we hit the second hill. Group pace dropped on the way up, and didn't recover on the downhill. I started a gel on the downhill - practice for Limerick, and sure it couldn't hurt - and grabbed some water from the station, then it was time to try pushing on to the next group. There was a gap of about 20m, and it stayed about 20m for ages. They guy in front was wearing a singlet I didn't recognise with a name and symbol on the back, so I sent the next few miles trying not to look at my watch but instead focus on catching him and finding out what it said :)
    That was it for the next few miles, trying to go faster-but-not-too fast, and most of the time that gap didn't seem to be closing. Got to the last water station and grabbed a bottle - disaster! the lid was still on it and I couldn't open it :pac: - and then we got to the bridges again. On the first bridge some guy flew past, Dunboyne?, but I finally caught the guy in front - Sydney Harriers! I was into a loose group now and slowly passing some more guys, winding it up for the finish. The last hill was not so bad and I was looking forward to the other side, downhill to the finish, but the wind, which seemed to be blowing every direction during the race, was definitely in our faces now. The last mile then was a struggle, trying to accelerate without much success. Finally got in sight of the final corner, and a big group of cheerers from the club :), was very happy to finish.
    Time last year was 1.22.16, so 50 seconds slower than last year - there were times in the last few miles when I thought I might be faster, but my calculations were obviously way off. I'm happy enough though overall - I had a target pace that I stuck to (slowest ks were 4.00, 4.01, 4.02 approaching halfway, 13 ks were within 2 seconds of 3.55) and finished strong, and I think this leaves me in good shape for Limerick.

• Advertisement

At a meeting this week, and someone was telling me how much xxx GAA club would like to work with us, cooperate with us on this and that "... and you can send your fastest runners over to them for their teams"
    :rolleyes:

(this wasn't a member of the GAA club speaking, but it was someone repeating what was said to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

At a meeting this week, and someone was telling me how much xxx GAA club would like to work with us, cooperate with us on this and that "... and you can send your fastest runners over to them for their teams"
    :rolleyes:

(this wasn't a member of the GAA club speaking, but it was someone repeating what was said to them)

Fast runners dont always make great players, especially if they have 2 left feet:eek:

You should send a memo asking them to send ye a transfer fee per player!!

I should send them a memo telling them to **** off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done at the weekend. :)

83.87 k for the week, 5.10 average

Just easy runmutes most days, with a 6am run Wednesday because I wasn't tired enough :rolleyes:
    Long run today, up to PP, two laps of Military/S-bends/Furry Glen/Ordinance Survey/North Road/Wellington and home, 2.26 total at 4.53 (only checked pace at the end). Bumped into Quirky on the way home, luckily neither of us were wearing colours so we didn't have to fight :pac:

• Advertisement

100.19k for the week, 4.54 average

Did most of a session Thursday. A lot less mental tiredness doing the session on the way home from work, but I do have a deadline of about 6pm to be home (eat, shower, and get to 7pm training). So only 6 x 5 minute tempo runs, not 8. These felt easy enough, pace up and down between 3.50 and 3.55 per lap, getting harder towards the end but not slipping-away-from-me harder.

Yesterday did some strides at the end of the run, for the first time in ages.

This morning was a killer- warm-up, 3k tempo, 2 minute recovery, 3k tempo, 80 minutes easy, 4k tempo, cooldown. Two starting tempos were fine, 3.52 and 3.53, then that easy run section seemed to go on forever, before getting back to Tymon for the final tempo. Started that last section a lot faster than I thought I'd be able to, but couldn't quite hold on enough on the drag or recover enough on the final section - 3.56 in the end. Good session though, I'm happy with it (happy its over anyway!)
    Legs pretty tired, back pretty stiff now.

not a great week
    Wednesday session on my way into work, 4 x 10 minute tempo, all of them a few seconds off - 3.57-4.00 pace instead of 3.55
    PMP session this morning, 15 miles or 100 minutes @ PMP (but for me, 15 miles @ PMP is 100 minutes, almost exactly. Out of habit I turned off auto-lap on the watch, which was pretty stupid. Even more stupidly, I realised after a few minutes that I should have kept auto-lap on but thought "oh well, I can't turn it back on when I'm running, I'll just have to do without" ... because pushing the lap button with my finger when I passed a km marker was too ****ing crazy an idea to even occur to me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Pace was off here too. I did 6 laps of Tymon, average pace at the end of each lap :rolleyes: was 4.11, 4.10, 4.12, 4.12, 4.13, 4.13
    various excuses occur - it was windy, I was tired, my back is sore, I'm so stupid I was probably running backwards at some point without noticing it, blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hahaha good post. none of us are the sharpest on the run. Very cold and windy today, and tymon isnt flat right? So 4:11 is probably around 3:55 effort.

Ha, you might be able to convince me of that when I'm running, but not now! But I was only three seconds off planned pace, 4.13 instead of 4.10, so I won't take it so hard. And I ran 4.10 last month so I know it isn't out of reach. But I'm in the last hard few weeks before taper, when I'm tired and achy all the time, I just want to get through the remaining sessions intact...

recovery run this morning
    89.27 for the week, @4.55

annoying...
    midweek session this week is 2 x (35-40 easy, 15-20 tempo), 2 mile cooldown
    I knew I wouldn't do it this evening, too many failures, and didn't have time to do it on the way home tomorrow. So at five past six I was out the door and running... and at 6.06 I was walking back to the house.
    The top of my foot has been tender for the last few days, and running in the Sayonaras this morning was actually painful. They're the problem - I noticed when I first wore them that there was a pronounced crease point in the uppers that pressed against the top of my foot. Okay most of the time, but I wore them on Saturday for the long PMP run - that caused the soreness, and that was getting me again today. Nothing major, but I'll stay out of them for another week or two.
    Changed into a pair of Brooks and tried again, still a bit sore but okay for running. I knocked the session on the head though, as well as the foot my hips were very stiff, I might take the next couple of days off completely to let everything settle down again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

annoying...
    midweek session this week is 2 x (35-40 easy, 15-20 tempo), 2 mile cooldown
    I knew I wouldn't do it this evening, too many failures, and didn't have time to do it on the way home tomorrow. So at five past six I was out the door and running... and at 6.06 I was walking back to the house.
    The top of my foot has been tender for the last few days, and running in the Sayonaras this morning was actually painful. They're the problem - I noticed when I first wore them that there was a pronounced crease point in the uppers that pressed against the top of my foot. Okay most of the time, but I wore them on Saturday for the long PMP run - that caused the soreness, and that was getting me again today. Nothing major, but I'll stay out of them for another week or two.
    Changed into a pair of Brooks and tried again, still a bit sore but okay for running. I knocked the session on the head though, as well as the foot my hips were very stiff, I might take the next couple of days off completely to let everything settle down again...

I had similar with the Saucony Guide a number of weeks back.
    Took more than a couple of weeks to heal though.

Leaving the bottom 2 rows unlaced helped.
    Also bought a cushioning pad from boots that allowed me to run while I sourced new runners.

top of my foot is fine, hips still stiff - busy morning tomorrow so I'll take the day off anyway, go for the long run on Sunday
    Something that occurred to me on the way into work - what I remember of this stage of marathon training in '10 and '11 is being tired. This time I'm not so tired but full of aches and niggles. But those times I was on a steady uphill ramp of miles, and this year most weeks are in the 80-100k range and the progression is all in the workouts.
    Not exactly earth-shattering, but something to remember when I start planning the next one...

84.17k at 5.01
    Long run today, up and around Phoenix Park (Military, s-bends, furry glen, back down upper glen road and s-bends, Kyber and around down Wellington, then back through the loop again and home) Hips stiff from the start and it was really slowing me down towards the end, my strides were getting very short :( Just under 30k in 2.5 hours, but the last 6-7k were 5.10 to over 5.30 pace, not because I was tired, but I was sore...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jeez...not even a mention?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Same with us RQ! At least we can put that down to his fear of the mighty Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

very short

Ahem ;):D

You were with triathletes, I thought you might be embarrassed to have it made public
    drquirky wrote: »
    Same with us RQ! At least we can put that down to his fear of the mighty Tallaght.

Some of my clubmates read this log, I didn't want to give the impression that I'd been consorting with you guys

Some of my clubmates read this log, I didn't want to give the impression that I'd been consorting with you guys

Now, if you'd been with a bunch of Operation Transformers then the Sisters would have been all over you like a rash ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Now, if you'd been with a bunch of Operation Transformers

I thought she was!

I thought she was!

:D Ouch!!

drquirky wrote: »

Ray was just relieved after seeing you that when he got back to his car that it wasnt up on blocks smile.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ray was just relieved after seeing you that when he got back to his car that it wasnt up on blocks smile.png

Nah we like Ray, but we know where YOU live :D

ecoli wrote: »

hahaha I should point out that I didnt grow up on the mean streets of knocklyon, I grew up somewhere a lot less leafy, with a lot more cars on blocks.

so come on over :)

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »

So do I, I'm looking through his kitchen window at the moment :D

Advertisement