Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

RichieMc wrote: »
    Cheers, but i wasn't. I knew well enough to step aside.

Girl in work reckoned you were pushed outta that slot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Girl in work reckoned you were pushed outta that slot!

You can put her mind at ease, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I had a chuckle at Richie mentioning a band (Jezabels, was it?) being interviewed by Joe and NAME REDACTED

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/dublin-radio-stations-split-on-gender-1.1680500
    Jeez, I see Phantom's daytime listenership figures are on the slide again. Half of what they were four years ago when Communicorp took over.
    Meanwhile, Joe Donnelley (acting under the guise of Phantom's account) just had a snide pop at Jim Carroll over on Twitter for pointing this out.
    Petty & unprofessional stuff lashing out like that IMHO.

The decline in listeners is sad news. I almost feel a bit guilty for tuning out of the morning show last year.

Surely time for a revamp now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

room_149 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/dublin-radio-stations-split-on-gender-1.1680500
    Jeez, I see Phantom's daytime listenership figures are on the slide again. Half of what they were four years ago when Communicorp took over.
    Meanwhile, Joe Donnelley (acting under the guise of Phantom's account) just had a snide pop at Jim Carroll over on Twitter for pointing this out.
    Petty & unprofessional stuff lashing out like that IMHO.

The decline in listeners is sad news. I almost feel a bit guilty for tuning out of the morning show last year.

Surely time for a revamp now?

Are you sure it was Joe? Pretty big accusation there.
    The tone of it smacks of someone else.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Are you sure it was Joe? Pretty big accusation there.
    The tone of it smacks of someone else.
    Sounded just like something he'd say I reckon..
    Also I recall he used to look after the twitter account in the mornings while Keith would man Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

It's had revamp after revamp already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Most of the 'revamps' seemed more like an attempt to reduce salary costs to me.

Most of the 'revamps' seemed more like an attempt to reduce salary costs to me.

Or a reshuffle of existing staff between Communicorp's portfolio of stations

A revamp for me would comprise of a morning show along the lines of what BBC Radio 6 or XFM do, perhaps? Something slightly nuanced and different to your 98fms, 2FMs or Today FMs morning output.
    There's a market out there for this...but Phantom are surely doomed to failure if they keep persisting with a policy of placing round pegs in square holes for their morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

according to the jnlr thread on the radio forum, the daily listeners actually increased year-on-year which is astonishing. Mind you it was a base of 5k so either listeners were going to increase or the station would close... and it doesn't break down by morning/evening

Phantom have done an awful lot more promotion away from the obvious indie rock hotspots in the last year though.

• Advertisement

I really thought getting rid of Cinerama was a major mistake. I like the two Richies but I think 4 nights a week is too much. There's too few staff at the station, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

That tweet by Phantom is very snide and is probably defamatory if Carroll wanted to pursue a legal route. It's the official Phantom station Twitter account and looks like it's been used to settle scores by someone in the station. Very silly. A sackable offence in many places

Link to the tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Link to the tweet?

I think it's been deleted, I can't find. it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

What did it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It said something like "grind your axe elsewhere, you're not going to get your old show back".

Theoretically could have been a joke, but...

Eamon & Orla's show is good, could do with a bit more of them. Not in the morning though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Eamon & Orla's show is good, could do with a bit more of them.
    Pretty sure you're on your own there.

It said something like "grind your axe elsewhere, you're not going to get your old show back".

Theoretically could have been a joke, but...

Was looking back thru' the station's Twitter timeline and that tweet has now been deleted. Reckon Carroll put them to rights. Pretty stupid behaviour by Phantom, but sure, what's new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Pretty sure you're on your own there.

I like Eamon's enthusiasm, truth be told. He mightn't know a whole lot but he's inoffensive at worst.
    I think Eamon and Orla would be a great weekend breakfast show, and it would mean I could actually put on the radio before 11am

• Advertisement

I like Eamon's enthusiasm, truth be told. He mightn't know a whole lot but he's inoffensive at worst.
    I think Eamon and Orla would be a great weekend breakfast show, and it would mean I could actually put on the radio before 11am

There are other stations on before 11am.

Nadine O' Regin pontificating doesn't work for you either?

Nadine O' Regin pontificating doesn't work for you either?

I think she has one of the better shows on phantom. each to their own i suppose though.

I think she has one of the better shows on phantom. each to their own i suppose though.

I don't think it's right for Saturday mornings. Probably the only time of the week I don't have phantom on in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

She must be one of the most pleasant people to listen to on Irish radio, my only gripe would be the amount of time she reminds her listeners that she is Nadine O'Regan. But overall her show is excellent and she is a very good interviewer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

She must be one of the most pleasant people to listen to on Irish radio, my only gripe would be the amount of time she reminds her listeners that she is Nadine O'Regan. But overall her show is excellent and she is a very good interviewer too.

Have to disagree here. I find her interviewing technique hard to listen to. She doesn't engage with the interviewee at all and just rolls out the next question.

For me the absolute deal-breaker is the repeated irritating pronunciation of her name. Goes through me, and I just have to change the station.
    Same but v different to Michael McMullen

LEAVE NADINE ALONE! Or she'll play more le galaxie

More bad news for Phantom today it would seem..
    http://www.thejournal.ie/phantom-restructuring-jobs-laid-off-1316678-Feb2014/
    Rumour has it that Joe Donnelly will be spared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

They don't have enough DJ's as it is. Suppose it won't be too bad, 16 hours of Cadell and the Richies!

Looks like the outgoing staff might pick up some work from Simon Maher

• Advertisement

infacteh wrote: »
    They don't have enough DJ's as it is. Suppose it won't be too bad, 16 hours of Cadell and the Richies!

Looks like the outgoing staff might pick up some work from Simon Maher

I'm hearing the two Richies will be no more also :(
    John Cadell will remain. Along with Claire Beck and Joe Donnelly.

I do hope you're correct and Radio 8 pick up a few ex Phantom DJs from this latest cull.
    By the by, that Journal link is a year old now. It only went on FM radio for a limited run there last year. It's still avaialble through the internet, I stream it through my car speakers via my phone in the mornings/ evenings!
    Highly reccomend it.

Advertisement