Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Heard an ad promoting their show there earlier. It consisted of them arguing over whether something was or wasn't an omelette.

Seriously, how are these asshats still on air? I know Keith basically gave himself the job but surely there must be someone higher up capable of pulling the plug :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Heard an ad promoting their show there earlier. It consisted of them arguing over whether something was or wasn't an omelette.

I heard an ad a few weeks ago for it where they were talking about how one of them writes down things he thinks of that he needs during the week so he has them all in a list when he goes shopping. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

if someone could post in here next time they're on holiday and someone (hopefully Orlagh D after the excellent stint last time) replaces them, that would be great.
    first thing i do when i get into the car in the morning is change it off Phantom, so might miss the rare week when their "wacky banter" has been replaced by something good.

e: unless it's EAMONN BLEEDIN FENNELL WHATS THE STORY LADS?!?! in which case i might throw the radio out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I like Eamon and Orlas show :o

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I was passing through the dial on my car radio and heard Joe or Keith mocking 'Nova' this morning- something about them (Nova that is) being on 'life support' and badly needing listeners?
    Any truth in this?
    Also Does anyone have current listener ratings for the Morning Show?
    Last time I checked Phantom's figures as a whole were on the slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Phantom's figures are in the toilet. See the jnlr thread in the radio forum. They lost their entire weekend audience after the bloodletting last September but nobody had figures for the breakfast show. I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar.

Heard an ad earlier stating that Jack Hyland is fill in in for j&k this week. Happy days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Is it all week? Thought it was just Friday & tomorrow. Jackpot if so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Great to hear music on the radio this morning instead of the usual woeful 'banter'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Is it all week? Thought it was just Friday & tomorrow. Jackpot if so :)
    not quite. Phantom is blighted again from Wednesday. Well, savour today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

gugleguy wrote: »
    not quite. Phantom is blighted again from Wednesday. Well, savour today and tomorrow.
    They should take a permanent holiday break...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

I used to refer to them as dumb and dumber, not it's just dull & duller.
    Like so many others, I change the radio in the morning off Phantom because of them.

If there is a demographic out there that they are suited to, I fear for humanity in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

According to the currant bun, keef is being touted as a replacement for hector on 2fm. Could the madcap duo be on their way out of phantom?

Hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    According to the currant bun, keef is being touted as a replacement for hector on 2fm. Could the madcap duo be on their way out of phantom?

The speculation at the moment is Keith and his former iRadio co-host Bernard O'Shea along with Jennifer Maguire (Bernard's workmate from The Republic of Telly). Maybe Joe will stay put or could he come in as a producer (he did a stint as producer for Tom Dunne on Newstalk)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Anyone know if i can get the playlist for 10-12 last night?

I don't like slating people anonymously on the internet but who ever thought a breakfast show headed by two middle-aged men with thick country accents would draw in a teenage/college-age audience in a Dublin area only channel?

Everyone who came after them on Spin has been young and has a Dublin or neutral accent, and the only other 'country' accent I can think of on mainstream Dublin radio is Dermot Whelan.

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    According to the currant bun, keef is being touted as a replacement for hector on 2fm

If only it was some other paper saying that. Then maybe there'd be a glimmer of hope....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't like slating people anonymously on the internet but who ever thought a breakfast show headed by two middle-aged men with thick country accents would draw in a teenage/college-age audience in a Dublin area only channel?

Everyone who came after them on Spin has been young and has a Dublin or neutral accent, and the only other 'country' accent I can think of on mainstream Dublin radio is Dermot Whelan.

Their accents are the least of their issues.

Personally I can't stand Eamon Fennell or his Dublin accent, but if he played decent music I'd still listen. He doesn't, so it's not an issue.

Plus, a rather large percentage of college students in Dublin are from outside of Dublin, so I can't see how non Dublin or "neutral" accents would be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

rwg wrote: »
    Anyone know if i can get the playlist for 10-12 last night?

http://www.phantom.ie/shows/190.191.196.251/1055/1/The_Lounge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

nice one catch - this was the badboy I was lookin for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Why would they be looking to draw in a teenage/college age audience? :confused: I would have thought teenagers/college students would be the least desirable audience age bracket.

And as mentioned above, I'd much prefer their accents to Eamonn Fennel's.

Let alone his constant hey lads I'm so cool Dublin GAA malarkey...

Why would they be looking to draw in a teenage/college age audience? :confused: I would have thought teenagers/college students would be the least desirable audience age bracket.

Irreverant 'banter', playlist filled with Vampire Weekend and Kodaline on repeat, I really can't see what audience they're aiming at aside from young students

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Everytime I see this thread on the front page my heart jumps as I think they might have been dumped and every time I'm disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Everytime I see this thread on the front page my heart jumps as I think they might have been dumped and every time I'm disappointed.

You forget my friend you are in Ireland. So it does matter how downright brutal one (or two) are at their jobs in some circles. Plus ¢a change. This is across a spectrum of professions here not confined to media.

Looks like keith is gone. Phantom website lists a new breakfast show with Joe and Charlotte. This is more like a step sideways than an improvement. I guess there's a chance that Joe will be less annoying without keith, but I doubt it!

Looks like keith is gone. Phantom website lists a new breakfast show with Joe and Charlotte. This is more like a step sideways than an improvement. I guess there's a chance that Joe will be less annoying without keith, but I doubt it!

It's a start!! Happy new year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

He is off to 2fm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good - got lots of time for Charlotte.

Advertisement