Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe and Keith breakfast show

• 07-10-2012 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Eh is that Spin's Joe and Keith from a few years back????

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Eh is that Spin's Joe and Keith from a few years back????

Yep and they're less funny now than they were then. There's a particularly cringeworthy video in the other thread on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chianti

Got to 715 with these two clowns (sorry clowns are funny), gob****es, and could take no more. For someone to make Pat Courtney seem less irritating in the morning takes some doing. So long Phantom, it was good while it lasted but you've made a mess of a once great radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

I've been listening for the last 40 mins and I think they are grand to be honest. First time in years I've listened to phantom on a weekday morning and I haven't considered punching the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

only caught about 15mins. thought it was **** tbh. not even annoying, just bleeeeehh. had a bit where they read out Facebook updates from other people over the weekend. not even funny or particularly stupid ones, just mundane BS.
    at least when Richie/Michelle/Charlotte did similar type of segments, there was a bit of fun involved, the 2 lads were just a chore to listen to.
    probably tune in a few more times over the next couple of weeks to see if they've gotten into the hang of things, but I doubt I'll be too impressed.

if they just played music all the time and STFU i'd tune in all morning, but no danger of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Kinda agree with the above, not particularly bad or good, just middle of the road. But at least I can listen to it, unlike that inane gob****e that kept going on about GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Yeah I was expecting it to be unbearable but it wasn't. I'll give it a chance. Tend to listen mainly between between 7 and 8 and all I want is a bit of decent music, the news headlines, maybe a bit from the papers without trying to be hilarious about it. That's all.

I think it was a good ploy letting the other 2 fill in for the 3 weeks before this started.

One thing that did annoy me was all their talk about the old team being back together. I have never listened to spin and had no idea(before reading on this forum) about the Keith and Joe show and I'm guessing most listeners would be in the same boat so it seemed a bit pointless..and annoying.

So it's on trial for me for now. Any mention of prank calls though and that's it for me and phantom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Terrible stuff really but what else is there in the morning? One person text in this morning saying that they were like the Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews of radio. Had to laugh at that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mixed reception it seems. I know this because the Phantom FM twitter account has taken it upon itself to retweet every god damn mention of it into my time line. I followed 98fm for a few days the other week because I wanted to win a Leinster jersey and they were terrible, always tweeting inane nonsense and RTing praise. I quickly unfollowed, to hell with the Leinster jersey. I've noticed that Phantom is becoming a lot more like that this past few weeks. I know they need to widen their audience or whatever but it just seems like it's changed completely almost over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I gave it a chance but it's unlistenable.

As noted above, it's just like the 98FM morning show (or is it FM104, probably doesn't matter), the objective is to be wacky at all costs and hope one or two of the gags land.

Just had a look at the Phantom twitter feed and to their credit, they're re-tweeting the criticism too. No such thing as bad publicity maybe but there is such a thing as bad radio. I'll come back in a few weeks and maybe they won't be trying quite so hard to be side-splittingly hilarious.

I never felt like Richie and Michelle were setting out with the intention of being funny. They just got on well and sort of bounced off each other, which is usually how the best partnerships work. I feel like this lot are going in with the sole aim of being wacky and hilarious and that's just not my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I am so happy they're back! I loved them on spin! Listened in this morning, they're a bit more subdued than they were on spin, but I guess that's to play to the phantom crowd. Not sure half their old antics would go down well in their new home but who cares....they're baaaaaccck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Moghead wrote: »
    I've been listening for the last 40 mins and I think they are grand to be honest. First time in years I've listened to phantom on a weekday morning and I haven't considered punching the radio.

Glad you've found something to listen to.
    But, for the rest of us who did like old shows it was mostly because it wasn't the usual wacky/chirpy breakfast radio being pumped out by the rest of the stations.
    Personally, I'm not a morning person, and find 'funny banter' being forced on me irritating. Although I can't really take it at any point in the day (feckin Foley n the likes). Maybe i'm just a moany bollox, but that's not the point
    :pac:

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Glad you've found something to listen to.
    But, for the rest of us who did like old shows it was mostly because it wasn't the usual wacky/chirpy breakfast radio being pumped out by the rest of the stations.
    Personally, I'm not a morning person, and find 'funny banter' being forced on me irritating. Although I can't really take it at any point in the day (feckin Foley n the likes). Maybe i'm just a moany bollox, but that's not the point
    :pac:

Thanks, I'm glad I found something bearable in the mornings to listen to too.

I'm not a morning person myself but I thought the old morning show on phantom was one of the worst culprits for 'funny banter' and forced whackiness. Only reason I kept coming back was that the music was more bearable than the other stations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Man, Moghead has had so many pops at me I'm starting to think I took his mother out for a steak dinner and never called her afterwards.

I'm starting to think you pooped in his refrigerator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Why bother with a "breakfast show" at all - like a poster said above I'd quite happily listen to music with a little bit of news or something - as it now stands I don't turn on the radio until John Caddell comes on. But I can't be critical of Joe & Keith as I have never heard them but if the show is anything like that BLOODY AWFUL ADVERT that was all over Phantom last week with one of their Mammy's talking about Nursing Homes I'm never going to listen EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

On the bus in this morning (listening to Radio 1), just flicked onto Facebook on my phone; Phantom had posted "Today's big question, what did you have for your dinner?"

So now not only am I not listening to the station, I've 'unliked' them on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

These two are awful morons!
    I went on holidays and i've come back to find the last morning radio refuge gone, what happened to Richie and Michelle?

P.S.
    Joe and Keith if your reading this - You suck!

I think the fact they're embracing the criticism is making the show even more unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Joe & Keith investigate 'White Boards' this morning, do you have one in your gaff?

Who put these morons on the radio?? :O

• Advertisement

The more I listen to them the more annoying they get. Especially that Joe muppet. He doesn't seem to be able to utter a single sentence without trying to sound funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Have stopped listening to Phantom since Richie and Michelle and most importantly Pearl's Sunday show are gone. Waste of time, this thread has only made me more glad to have done so. Sadly there's no-one else worth listening to so just listen to my own music now.

I didn't tune in since monday. Reading the above I'm really glad. Have been tuning into Dublin City instead for the drive in. The music is pretty good for the most part.

RichieMc wrote: »
    Man, Moghead has had so many pops at me I'm starting to think I took his mother out for a steak dinner and never called her afterwards.

Wow. You should quit radio and start writing jokes for Brendan O'Connor on The Saturday Show.

I wasn't criticising you, I don't know you. I was criticising the show you were on. I'm sure you recall you weren't the only person on the show. I didn't like the tone and humour of the show. I felt that when you and your colleagues spoke about a subject it was quite often bitchy, condescending and unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

I actually like the new breakfast show. Nothing against Richie and Michelle but I think conversation between Joe and Keith is less forced. I'd prefer if they played more music though. It's why people listen to Phantom in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Wow. You should quit radio and start writing jokes for Brendan O'Connor on The Saturday Show.

I wasn't criticising you, I don't know you. I was criticising the show you were on. I'm sure you recall you weren't the only person on the show. I didn't like the tone and humour of the show. I felt that when you and your colleagues spoke about a subject it was quite often bitchy, condescending and unfunny.

Thanks for the compliment on my joke-making ability, but I don't think even Brendan O'Connor would settle for a gag that's been lifted almost word-for-word from the movie Anchorman. I'm merely speculating.

And thank you for the (repeated) feedback on the show. I just felt I needed to respond to you personally, as the overwhelming majority of your posts seem to be about said show, which has now been off air for a month. Quite why you have such an axe to grind about it still is beyond me, but sure, each to their own.

All the best, Moghead

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

I moved away to England and have been missing Phantom so much, now that I can't listen to it while driving. I was really looking forward to moving home next year and getting back into the swing of my usual (Pure!) morning routine. I didn't listen every day (sometimes a lady likes her serious news shows of a morning!), but I loved tuning in for the craic they had.

Personally, I was disappointed when Charlotte moved to producer role (only because I loved her on air with Richie, and preferred their banter), but that's a moot point now; the fact that they're all gone is a downer. (I liked Michelle too, for the record.)

I always loved Joe and Keith on Spin back in college (no point in denying it), and was excited when I heard they were going to be presenting together again. However, I had thought there was simply a change in schedule; I'd no idea so many were being let go from/leaving Phantom. It's not good news, and is yet another example of trying to fix things that aren't broken.

Richie, so sorry to hear the news. I hope it becomes a positive step for you, and that brilliant radio things come your way. The same to Charlotte and Michelle.

I include this slightly alternative, cool emoticon as a homage to your good selves; look at him there, wearing shades and all! Best of luck, Pure Morning crew! You'll be missed.x

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I didn't tune in since monday. Reading the above I'm really glad. Have been tuning into Dublin City instead for the drive in. The music is pretty good for the most part.

The music on the evening show is way better. John Neary is exactly what a radio dj should be. Gives traffic reports (that's the main focus of his show), has a bit of craic and plays better music than phantom has done for years.

lordgoat wrote: »
    The music on the evening show is way better. John Neary is exactly what a radio dj should be. Gives traffic reports (that's the main focus of his show), has a bit of craic and plays better music than phantom has done for years.

I know :) Been listening on and off for a few years. I agree John Neary is very good(surprised he hasn't been head-hunted tbh) and plays some great music. Also love the friday quiz!!

The morning not as good but not too bad either and better than phantom and nova imo. You just tune out the traffic reports - traffic's always building at M1 J4 Donabate in the mornings and at the ball at Naas on the way home :D So it's Dub City/ipod for the drive to and from work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Unfortunately I cant abide the guy on nova breakfast, 5 minutes of him and i'm in a bad mood for the day, the tunes on nova are generally good but i just cant take that guy!
    Newstalk can be very informative but it makes me feel old!

F**k the radio people anyway, ruining it for the rest of us!

@ RichieMc - Please let us know when you find a new radio home and bring Charlotte with ya, you guys are gas - Good luck in the future!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

strife wrote: »
    Unfortunately I cant abide the guy on nova breakfast, 5 minutes of him and i'm in a bad mood for the day, the tunes on nova are generally good but i just cant take that guy!
    Newstalk can be very informative but it makes me feel old!

F**k the radio people anyway, ruining it for the rest of us!

@ RichieMc - Please let us know when you find a new radio home and bring Charlotte with ya, you guys are gas - Good luck in the future!!

Hear, hear! Mornings just aren't the same any more... I had newstalk on this morning for a few minutes and thought to myself.... "You're not 50... change that dial".... and I did... back to Phantom. The new breakfast show is ok. Just ok. Not a patch on Richie, Michelle and Charlotte. It's forced and clumsy. Hopefully it will get better over time...

he's on the sportsdesk at 98FM since he left Phantom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Been listening to Joe & Keith the last couple of weeks now. We're all very quick to judge and say anything is sh1te in comparison to what we knew and loved. To be fair I think the lads are doing a fairly good job. Ok, I don't have those laugh-out-loud moments in the car in the mornings where I turn around and someone is staring strangely at me but it's not a bad show, certainly better than all the other alternatives.

Best of luck to them.

i disagree, gave them a bit of time last week, listened again yesterday morning, and it was just dreadful. i don't know what it's like compared to the others, but the 2 lads aren't funny, and the some of the segments they have are mind-numbingly boring.
    if the music was actually any good i could probably handle it, but half of it is the same pop-indie rubbish that TodayFM etc play.

tuned the bedroom radio to Newstalk last night so I don't have to wake up listening to them, and rooted for a few more cds for the car journey to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

Didn't Keith pick Kung-Fu as one of his top 5 Irish songs ever last year, but he didnt know what album it was on? One of his 5 favourite irish songs EVER and he didnt know what album it was on. If that is the level of local music knowledge the DJs have now it's time to shut up shop.

To echo the other voices, the only breakfast show in town is Live Drive on Dublin City FM. If anyone hasnt given it a go, i'd say it's aimed at the 25+ age group. They play a good mix of old and new songs (mostly older on the morning show) and talk to each other and the audience like adults. I cycle to work so the traffic reports mean very little to me, but between the reports there is some chat, and Sarah and her producer/traffic report people have an easy going style and seem 100% sound. John in the evenings is excellent, but i never get to listen to him now dont drive.

On the positive side of phantom, i still think John Caddel is very good for a mainstream daytime slot, muck playlist aside. Richie McCormack's new slot on his show is also good and what seems like a genuine friendship between the two shows up well. It feels like a little oasis of "real" phantom still left on the station.

Sadly for Caddel, he is on at the same time as Dan Hegarty on 2xm, who played 8 minutes of Marquee Moon the other day FFS. Class. While im currently in an office where i get to control the radio, it gets changed between these two between 10:00-13:00 most days.

The demise of phantom really is an awful shame. I cannot understand why irish radio, even mainstream irish radio, do not play a majority of irish acts. new or old.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Listened to it a few times thought it was very ok and but certainly not in impressed in anyway. Humour wise they are too hit & miss. Due to the small listenership they seem to have no choice but to read out any old crap that gets sent to them. Don't see how this show will build and keep an audience or bond with listeners like Pure Morning did.

I know I defended them the other day but please God stop the 'song-about-whatever-happened-last-night' sh1te right fvckin' now! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm not gone on Joe & Keith. Joe was better when he would just have the odd thing to say on the Tom Dunne show - him on mic all the time is too much and the two lads are too similar to each other. Ideally each person should bring different things to the table

Although having said that they're a damn way better than that young lad that was filling in after Richie and Michelle left. He was dreadful.

Still though Richie and Michelle had a great way about them - a likeable duo I thought. Plus one of them was smoking hot (and Michelle wasn't too bad either!)

Hey Richie - has Michelle gone into acting now?

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Although having said that they're a damn way better than that young lad that was filling in after Richie and Michelle left. He was dreadful.

They mentioned the other morning that he was up for some radio award! Most annoying c**t presumably, can't think what else it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

chris_d wrote: »
    Sadly for Caddel, he is on at the same time as Dan Hegarty on 2xm, who played 8 minutes of Marquee Moon the other day FFS. Class.

8 mins? Sure that's only 4/5s of the song!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jellybeano

I know me mam said if you don't have anything nice to say ra ra ra...

BUT... as an extremely tolerant person, i find these guys highly annoying. I ended up shouting at the radio the other morning, when they went on and on about Tom Petty's Free-falling. seriously not funny! and to make matters worse, they were still on about it today. C'mon! had to change over to newstalk, but then flicked back to phantom cos i don't want to feel like an aul wan. their playlists are bland and they remind me of ray foley. sorting out me own tunes to listen to in the car cos they put me in too bad a mood to start the day.

they sound too alike, as someone above said. and i cant work out who is more annoying. love charlotte tho! glad she does the traffic!

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Still though Richie and Michelle had a great way about them - a likeable duo I thought. Plus one of them was smoking hot (and Michelle wasn't too bad either!)

Hey Richie - has Michelle gone into acting now?

I vaguely remember somebody saying something about her being in "What Richard Did." Not sure if it was just a brief one off cameo type thing or what?

To echo the other voices, the only breakfast show in town is Live Drive on Dublin City FM. If anyone hasnt given it a go, i'd say it's aimed at the 25+ age group. They play a good mix of old and new songs (mostly older on the morning show) and talk to each other and the audience like adults. I cycle to work so the traffic reports mean very little to me, but between the reports there is some chat, and Sarah and her producer/traffic report people have an easy going style and seem 100% sound. John in the evenings is excellent, but i never get to listen to him now dont drive.
    yeah, some good music played on there, and a good mix compared to Phantom's bland and over-played playlist.
    my drive to/from work doesn't involve Dublin City, so all the traffic talk between each song can be a bit annoying, but it's better than listening to the 2 clowns trying to be funny in the morning.
    which says it all really, I've chosen to listen to traffic reports that don't affect me over them...

I vaguely remember somebody saying something about her being in "What Richard Did." Not sure if it was just a brief one off cameo type thing or what?
    she's one of the main characters in a recent film called "The Hit Producer" anyway, and from what I can gather, is hoping to get more roles in the futures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Newstalk can be very informative but it makes me feel old!!
    I had newstalk on this morning for a few minutes and thought to myself.... "You're not 50... change that dial"
    jellybeano wrote: »
    C'mon! had to change over to newstalk, but then flicked back to phantom cos i don't want to feel like an aul wan.

I think it's time to face the reality that we are old people!!!!:D

Ye I've moved to a combo of either Newstalk or live drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

She was in a scene in that alright and in that Trivia show last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

which says it all really, I've chosen to listen to traffic reports that don't affect me over them...

haha. to take this even further off topic, sorry mods, but i like to google map the roads they mention. not sure where the merrion gates are yet.

haha. to take this even further off topic, sorry mods, but i like to google map the roads they mention. not sure where the merrion gates are yet.

As it happens the only mod on here is (ex-Phantom) Simon Maher.

I always thought this was Merrion Gates but Google Map says here.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I know I defended them the other day but please God stop the 'song-about-whatever-happened-last-night' sh1te right fvckin' now! :mad:

I check my twitter at lunchtime and it's polluted with retweets of these things. Every single morning! I might just have to unfollow them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Jaysus Joe and Keith are getting an awful bashing here! i've not listening to the breakfast show but i thought they were very funny back in the old phantom days, find it hard to believe that they changed that much.

Although i had not listened to Richie and Charlotte/Michelle in months i'm sad to hear it's finished it was a good show, Richie has always been a very good dj and i hope wherever he goes he will be playing music for the peoples.

And lets face it Michelle does not belong on radio, not because she is a bad dj but because she is a bleeding roide! and she should be on the tv or in the movies.

good luck to them both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement