Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

2fm is the grave yard of many a good DJ, I liked Joe & Keith,I'm probably not a 'hardcore' Phantom person but I'm sorry to see him go.

Given the 2fm breakfast track record I'd expect Keith back at Phantom before too long. Joe & Charlotte will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Would be class if Ritchie & Ritchie moved to the morning slot. Usually miss most of their show in the evenings with other things going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Devia wrote: »
    Would be class if Ritchie & Ritchie moved to the morning slot. Usually miss most of their show in the evenings with other things going on.

+1

Would do a huge amount for their ratings IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Devia wrote: »

I'm a big fan of Ritchie and Ritchie, and think the evening slot gives them more freedom for chat, music discussions etc...
    A morning slot really needs to me music heavy IMO and keep the banter to a minimum... and if you have it, it gotta be good!

If you miss their show, catch up on podcasts. They include the playlist too, so you can hear what choons were played.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Looks like keith is gone. Phantom website lists a new breakfast show with Joe and Charlotte. This is more like a step sideways than an improvement. I guess there's a chance that Joe will be less annoying without keith, but I doubt it!

He's gone to 2fm I'm lead to believe, good luck to him.
    Joe is/ was the more evil of the two lessers IMHO so I won't be tuning in.
    His gob****e faux-angryman/ uber sarcasm schtick routine and flat accent combined with the other ones Coventry brogue would surely cause me to crash the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I feel the pain room149. Or want to bang my head more than twice and start roaring incoherently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I don't mind Charlotte and her accent, I kind of like her. But Joe......

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

(Rant Warning!!!)
    While I'm vexed and staring at a spreadsheet in the office here, have any of you ever read Joe Donnelly's pieces in the Weekend part of the Saturday Independent?

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/you-just-cant-beat-a-white-sliced-pan-26816887.html

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/joe-donnelly-i-dont-do-fashion-but-dads-dressing-like-mountain-climbers-to-buy-the-paper-is-the-height-of-vanity-29777277.html

This one is my probably my most 'favourite'- him giving out about the aesthetics & the attire worn by the young staff of a well known Alt eatery-
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/i-dont-want-my-drink-in-a-jam-jar-or-my-tea-in-a-tin-mug-and-dont-call-me-mate-29817317.html

Utter, utter drivel.
    These things read like the scribbled down thoughts of a semi awake and flatulent Ian O' Doherty or Jeremy Clarkson. Probably after chomping down one Toblerone too many whilst listening to his Deep Purple cassettes in the front room.
    A middle aged DJ complaining about his free meal? This is worthy of newsprint?

Didn't hear him complain about 'hipsters' that much whenever he gets free to gigs and festivals..most peculiar that.
    Pisses me off when I think of all the talented young Journos & Media Professionals who have had to emigrate due to a lack of jobs here, yet the likes of this fella keeps getting gigs thanks to the cozy little cohert of buddies he has in the Irish 'Meeja'

Rant over (apologies)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭donaghb

Joe And Charlotte are great together, Kieth was good too.
    dry humor and funny sometimes.
    Fennel is a tool.
    richie and richie are annoying.

I happen to like Joes outlook and comments, and as said before on here i enjoyed him on the tom dunne show.
    Phantom is the only radio station worth listening to, especially in the mornings...i do flick between them and newstalk but mainly phantom.
    you cannot compare them to bloody foley or that other gob****e phil something.
    good luck to j & C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Richie, Richie and Caddell are the only things propping Phantom up at this stage.

Keef and his moronic output have decimated all the good dj's, Claire Beck may #LoveHerJob but she'll always have that bang of Spin's generic cast of soundalike female dj's, and there's no reason to touch the stations for large parts of the day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Not a Clare Beck fan. She's ok, but I feel sorry for her and her show. She has to play the Feckin Playlist that has been played all day before she came on. At the moment, a lot of the songs are quite dreary and lifeless. She then, has to play all the songs again...... Yawn. God! I'd nearly half think about listening to Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

P Feckin S
    What about less "kodaline" and "Two DoorHowzyerfathers" and more ""So I Watch You From A Far" etc., during the day? Yeh know.... The sort of bands Phantom would have played during the day... In the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

When is Keith starting on 2fm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Richie, Richie and Caddell are the only things propping Phantom up at this stage.

Keef and his moronic output have decimated all the good dj's, Claire Beck may #LoveHerJob but she'll always have that bang of Spin's generic cast of soundalike female dj's, and there's no reason to touch the stations for large parts of the day now.

I quite like Nadine O'Regan on a Saturday morning, only complaint it the way she over emphasises Nadine.

The breakfast show has improved slightly since Keith left, get rid of Joe and their on a winner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

The breakfast show has improved slightly since Keith left, get rid of Joe and their on a winner there.

Agree 100% there. You can practically hear charlotte cringe at some of the tripe that cretin Joe comes out with.
    For example, commenting on new Pixies track tool Joe says something along the lines of "uh I don't know about you but for me that sounds a lot like ACDC... and like for me that's a big thumbs up"

Piss off you turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

And get Sinister Pete and his Weather bike back! :D

I think there's always a little bit of elitism when Phantom is discussed, if you can't say you practically live in the Academy or you listened in the pirate days and it hasn't been the same since Sinister Pete did this that or the other then you're scarcely worthy of opinion.

Joe Donnelly has been called 'middle aged' twice in this thread, I thinks he's like 39 / 40, Black Francis is 48 for Christ sake so shall we discount The Pixies on the basis of music from a middled aged band. I think he's decent DJ and a funny bloke in his own way, might not be for everyone but of the two he is stronger that Keith. His Indo articles are as good as Roisin Ingle in the Times and people fawn over her like she's Germaine Greer!

I'm 41 and I have listened to Phantom from day 1 and I don't think the station is shi*t in any way at all, if people want to revert to them playing 1950's sci-fi radio shows on a Friday night then good luck to them because that's the kind of stuff that went in 10 years ago. Then again that's probably the middle age talking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The two Richies and John Caddell are definitely the strongest DJs on the station, but I wouldn't discount Claire Beck.

I suppose she suffers because she sounds like every other female DJ in the country, but she seems to have a good knowledge base for music. Not a standout performer, but I certainly couldn't fault her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Yeah I like her, good voice and doesn't sound too 'professional, as in she sounds like she actually enjoys the job

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I didn't like her at all initially, sounded like she would be happier back on Spin but she has improved immensely IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

her Sunday show is great.
    pity she can't play whatever she wants during the week. new ones from Kodaline and U2 in the 15mins tonight that i listened before switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Rosser wrote: »
    Joe Donnelly has been called 'middle aged' twice in this thread, I thinks he's like 39 / 40, Black Francis is 48 for Christ sake so shall we discount The Pixies on the basis of music from a middled aged band.

I think it's more his personality people were referring to. I'd imagine John Cadell, Richie Ryan and Jack Hyland are probably in the same age bracket, yet they're amongst the most popular DJs.

Personally I'd like to see Jack doing the morning show. He did a good job when he filled in for a few days a couple of months ago. I like his music taste and sense of humour. Even if you don't like his sense of humour he doesn't over do it on the talk, just gets on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I think it's more his personality people were referring to. I'd imagine John Cadell, Richie Ryan and Jack Hyland are probably in the same age bracket, yet they're amongst the most popular DJs.

Personally I'd like to see Jack doing the morning show. He did a good job when he filled in for a few days a couple of months ago. I like his music taste and sense of humour. Even if you don't like his sense of humour he doesn't over do it on the talk, just gets on with it.

Personally I think J&K seemed to be trying to be twenty somethings having totes wacky bantz lol and it just made them stick out like a sore thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Personally I think J&K seemed to be trying to be twenty somethings having totes wacky bantz lol and it just made them stick out like a sore thumb

They had the Smashie and Nicey vibe going strong all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PaddockMonkey

On another note,
    does anyone know what the answer was to the competition from last year were they played the two second music clip? :confused:

It was The Pixies - can't remember exactly which song.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler78

Richie Mc I personally find annoying. When he was hosting the breakfast show with Michelle Doherty (wonder how her acting career is going?) I found him very smug/conceited esp if someone texted in with an opinion different from his own. Not nearly as funny as he thinks he is either, but he's a big guy so I'll say no more in case he tracks me down.

Re another post made above - Kodaline make me sad. I'm not sure what it says for music these days that they can 'make it'. Good luck to them and all but Christ the music is so dull. Waiting for a brand new day was on radio earlier & I just can't figure out what people see in them. With all that has gone on in the world/Ireland in recent years, is there no band out there who can bring some edge/wit/social commentary to the table?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Royaler78 wrote: »
    Richie Mc I personally find annoying. When he was hosting the breakfast show with Michelle Doherty (wonder how her acting career is going?) I found him very smug/conceited esp if someone texted in with an opinion different from his own. Not nearly as funny as he thinks he is either, but he's a big guy so I'll say no more in case he tracks me down.

Re another post made above - Kodaline make me sad. I'm not sure what it says for music these days that they can 'make it'. Good luck to them and all but Christ the music is so dull. Waiting for a brand new day was on radio earlier & I just can't figure out what people see in them. With all that has gone on in the world/Ireland in recent years, is there no band out there who can bring some edge/wit/social commentary to the table?

I can assure you, i never thought i was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

RichieMc wrote: »
    I can assure you, i never thought i was funny

I though you were funny Richie. Actually thought you suited the mornings well

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

I though you were funny Richie. Actually thought you suited the mornings well

Cheers, but i wasn't. I knew well enough to step aside.

Advertisement