Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lordgoat wrote: »
    Delighted she's gone tbh. Way too much talk, just tell me the traffic first and then waffle on. She wrecked my head with her cringey singing etc.
    I do agree Pam's taste in music is terrible and will lose them alot of listeners.
    seems it's only temporary as they're looking for a new morning host:
    http://www.dublincityfm.ie/node/247

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Stockholm syndrome has taken hold, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Delighted she's gone tbh. Way too much talk, just tell me the traffic first and then waffle on. She wrecked my head with her cringey singing etc.
    I do agree Pam's taste in music is terrible and will lose them alot of listeners.

I was never a fan before either but enjoyed the morning show for the last few weeks - some decent music. Never heard the cringey singing before - happy about that. Even when SF went on holidays for a week the playlist was still fairly decent but yesterday and again today really not good.

Good that they are looking for someone new and hopefully the music will improve because I couldn't take much more mor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Had knocked phantom off my presets after listening to the new show for a few mornings but, due to car battery issues, had to do a re-tune this morn and listened in again for 2 minutes before I had to switch it off. Fucking inane.

Bring back Richie, Michelle and Charlotte! Great chemistry genuine craic.

Richie, hope you get a similar slot somewhere else and if/when you do, I'll be tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I really enjoyed Richie in the mornings and was annoyed at the change, but now I like this pair too. They were just on about boards again, what's the story with that?! Because of this thread im guessing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I really enjoyed Richie in the mornings and was annoyed at the change, but now I like this pair too. They were just on about boards again, what's the story with that?! Because of this thread im guessing?

Same as normal, they have nothing to talk about so they talk about us giving out about them.

Absolute drivel of the highest order.

How are the ratings there Joe and Keith? What's that - lowest phantom numbers since the station launched. Jeez i wonder why? (cos ye're awful at your jobs and sacked people that were good at theirs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Same as normal, they have nothing to talk about so they talk about us giving out about them.

How are the ratings there Joe and Keith? What's that - lowest phantom numbers since the station launched. Jeez i wonder why? (cos ye're awful at your jobs and sacked people that were good at theirs)

Harsh but fair

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Who did they sack?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

+1, phantom listener for a long time, but Ive given up on both wake up alarm clock and in car. They are mind numbingly inane, even if they shut up totally and just played music I'd have stuck to it. Replace them with a playlist loop and figures will go back up.

It's like listening to a couple of drunks who think they are hilarious but only they get the jokes, 'we are so zany, we're mad we are, we are so funny'. We're sober lads, it's not entertaining and it's the same shtick that the other channels are doing at that time...

• Advertisement

Thanks, didn't realise they were the management too.

I actually don't mind their show, not brilliant but better in my opinion than the previous morning show. If the ratings are plummeting they need to sort it out though.

I think the music during the morning and evening commute hours is a bit better than it was earlier this year, little bit more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Really? What did they say?

I remember hearing Richie McCormack slagging off this forum a couple of years ago too. So, is there anything original about what Joe and Keith do on their show??

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

They were talking about people who make comments online. Saying boards.ie and the like should be shut down. These are the lads who encourage listeners to post a load of hashtag nonsense to twitter every morning.

Yep. They could actually just strip the "inane banter" bits from their Spin days, and re-run it with a Phantom-lite playlist. It's awful, inane, tedious tripe.

Their hashtag nonsense is awful too. Still not down to the depths of Eamon and Orla's "wussiest county" GAA ****, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I tried to give it a chance but just can't listen to it anymore. It must be bad when I find them more cringe worthy than Pat Courtney on Nova. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I noticed they put Eamon and Orla back on this morning, presumably just to remind us that things actually could be worse.

There are people on the facebook page who are actually glad to see the airheaded reality tv fameheads instead of Joe and Keith. Admittedly, the same people, over and over.

Rather like offering people a choice between lime juice in the left eye, and lemon juice in the right eye, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noideaforaname

Once I'm not listening to Claire Beck & Eamon Fennell on Phantom, I couldn't give a rats. Dopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

At least they didn't bring back Jason Byrne... I don't know what's worse though...

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm very much in the minority here, but I quite like the morning show. It does say a lot though, that I was a loyal Strawberry Alarm Clock listener for about 16/17 years :o (Well I followed the two lads to 2fm for those couple of years). I started flicking through stations a few months ago during the many cringy sketches and features that they did on FM104, as well as during the crap songs. I recognised Joe and Keith from Spin (I actually did a quiz with them on-air when I was in college) and have been listening ever since. I enjoy banter and silliness in the morning, I can't just listen to music when I'm getting ready for work, I feel more awake when I'm concentrating on listening to people talking. Pretty good music too, although I do agree with the sentiment that Phantom as a whole seems to recycle the same few songs way too many times.

• Advertisement

I'm very much in the minority here, but I quite like the morning show. It does say a lot though, that I was a loyal Strawberry Alarm Clock listener for about 16/17 years :o (Well I followed the two lads to 2fm for those couple of years). I started flicking through stations a few months ago during the many cringy sketches and features that they did on FM104, as well as during the crap songs. I recognised Joe and Keith from Spin (I actually did a quiz with them on-air when I was in college) and have been listening ever since. I enjoy banter and silliness in the morning, I can't just listen to music when I'm getting ready for work, I feel more awake when I'm concentrating on listening to people talking. Pretty good music too, although I do agree with the sentiment that Phantom as a whole seems to recycle the same few songs way too many times.

See, that's the thing. Joe and Keith and this breakfast show no doubt have a following. There's nothing wrong with liking it ... but there is something wrong about this sort of "jaysus wacky banter" being on Phantom. That's not why the station was set up. That's not what it was all about.

So, I'm not going to tell you to shove your opinion up your hole, but I will say:

Dear god I wish it wasn't on Phantom.

Nothing makes me turn the radio off quicker than these 2. Just absolute lowest common denominator drivel.

Newstalk plays better music at the same time. Granted it's generally on an ad for Harvey Norman or some other such bollocks but you get the point.

We patiently await the inevitable reshuffle.

Bake em away toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I am so happy they're back! I loved them on spin! Listened in this morning, they're a bit more subdued than they were on spin, but I guess that's to play to the phantom crowd. Not sure half their old antics would go down well in their new home but who cares....they're baaaaaccck! :D
    jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Why on earth are Bewitched going to be on the show next week??? Hardly an alternative band if you could call them even a band! A regurgitated girl group... I am starting to despair of this morning show. I used to get annoyed at Michelle's sqealing and pretend excitedness but it wasnt constant and Richie balanced her out....

However now its lowest common denominator filler fluff. I now will only switch on at 10 for John Caddell...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

seriously? :pac:

caught about 10mins there last week for the first time this year (CD player in the car broke). changed over to Newstalk soon after to a lady describing her time in the Magdalene Laundries, which was remarkably more enjoyable than listening to Charlotte and the 2 clowns on Phantom.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 padimus2

Can't stand them either. They're just not funny. Say what you like about Michelle and Richie but often they came out with some genuinely funny stuff. Joe and Keith haven't made me laugh, just mildly irritated me out of the leaba

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Why on earth are Bewitched going to be on the show next week??? Hardly an alternative band if you could call them even a band! A regurgitated girl group... I am starting to despair of this morning show. I used to get annoyed at Michelle's sqealing and pretend excitedness but it wasnt constant and Richie balanced her out....

However now its lowest common denominator filler fluff. I now will only switch on at 10 for John Caddell...

It's 11 now. As if things weren't bad enough they decided to make their show an hour longer a couple of months back.

The Bwitched thing must have been a nostalgia thing for the 16 to 20 year olds who probably loved them when they were in their tweens.

Have listened to the breakfast show a lot over the past 6 months, find their humour to be hit and miss, they can really flog a joke or skit to death, ie the Chris Martin and Danny Healy Rae skits.

I can tolerate them though, not much more I can ask for in the mornings really.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Nostalgia for 20-30yr olds maybe, but put them on Spin or FM104, on pop based channels... Not on Phantom. No place for that nonsense on a supposed rock channel.
    I dont mind either presenter but I am really starting to get irritated that the channel is consistently dumbing itself down and at this rate, irs hard to discern who their target market is....
    Moghead wrote: »
    The Bwitched thing must have been a nostalgia thing for the 16 to 20 year olds who probably loved them when they were in their tweens.

Have listened to the breakfast show a lot over the past 6 months, find their humour to be hit and miss, they can really flog a joke or skit to death, ie the Chris Martin and Danny Healy Rae skits.

I can tolerate them though, not much more I can ask for in the mornings really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Listened for a week at the start. Rubbish show.

Don't listen to Phantom really at all now except for John Caddell.

Advertisement