Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

��Tree and esb pole down at Grange Road, Waterford city; crews working to clear it pic.twitter.com/NEAdqlNcB4

Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Speak Now

63knts at Waterford airport (117kph), I think 65knts was the winter high here on Dec 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

zerks wrote: »
    The warning came very late,today I've talked to several people who seem to think the weather alert is for snow,already in Wexford the winds are stronger & more sustained than what we've had previously & the worst is yet to come.

Sorry anyone who misread wind warnings for snow warnings are to blame themselves. Pretty dopey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Is this going to hit Limerick?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Latest ME updates mentions "extreme gusts likely in many areas". Very rare to see that kind of wording. I think we'll see updated warnings after the reports from the southwest come in.

I think I will upgrade our warnings ,

On a side note , nipped back to bed for a power nap ( I blame the baby ) and a gust just hit the house and the walls just shook as did the bed ,

Never felt anything like this from the wind before .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sorry anyone who misread wind warnings for snow warnings are to blame themselves. Pretty dopey

People hear the word snow & their brains go into overdrive.

In work the other evening & at times it seemed as if the roof was going to come off,it's gonna be even worse later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Vanolder wrote: »

Yes, in the next 1-2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

yes, avoid doing outside stuff during the afternoon... like Gerry said, stay indoors

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

I suspect 2pm onwards we will have our strongest winds. Atm we are near the centre of the low

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jamescolm

Couple hundred wheelie bins blown over in Ballyphehane area of Cork city.
    Rubbish blowing everywhere !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Unreal gusts here in south west kerry. Lots of debris on the road. Power gone. Driving rain. The gusts sound like they are going to rip the roof off. Some change from yesterday when we arrived down here to sunny spells and snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

This is really frightening - slates flying off a neighbours roof, two trees down in the garden - I walked to the end of our house to check on a shed and was nearly blown over -- and I'm not a small guy! Can't see power lasting much longer here. The whole thing is terrifying -- a real monster.

edit -- and the power has gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

bloody hell, this thing has an eye.....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Should be an interesting set of 1200 hr met eireann reports, don't even want to think of the gusts that will show on the 1300 and 1400 reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Gone very dark and rain becoming torrential now..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like it really is coming ashore.

Good luck guys and really do stay indoors.

Sky News beginning to hype this up now, so I am sure we will get good coverage.

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

jamescolm wrote: »
    Couple hundred wheelie bins blown over in Ballyphehane area of Cork city.
    Rubbish blowing everywhere !

Glad to hear things are still the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SeaFields wrote: »
    Unreal gusts here in south west kerry. Lots of debris on the road. Power gone. Driving rain. The gusts sound like they are going to rip the roof off. Some change from yesterday when we arrived down here to sunny spells and snow!

Eeek! And it's all headed our way! :eek: Stay safe down there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

lottpaul wrote: »
    This is really frightening - slates flying off a neighbours roof, two trees down in the garden - I walked to the end of our house to check on a shed and was nearly blown over -- and I'm not a small guy! Can't see power lasting much longer here. The whole thing is terrifying -- a real monster.

edit -- and the power has gone :(

sounds scary... will it get as bad here i wonder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Not enough lines in the title to fit in all I want / need to say ,

It will have to do for now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

power gone in Dunmanway West Cork. It's brutal out there. The schools should have closed. It's going to be a struggle getting the children home safe and sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

hoodwinked wrote: »
    what time is due to end in cork? its all quiet at the moment and blue sky and sun?
    Im in Cork City and its very bad are you saying its going to get worse more trees down here with 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

You can see part of the tail of the low on the rainfall radar on met.ie. Just passing over the Dingle peninsula

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tornadoes in Roscommon according to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

@countykerry: Severe weather warning for anybody travelling in the Dingle Peninsula. Extremely strong winds. Be v careful of flying debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Athleague tornado and damage to Roscommon hospital outside the town just heard on RTE R1.

A car damaged also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

weisses wrote: »
    Structural damage here ... Just saw the wind take down a big barn ... Unreal hope everyone is okay

Seen nothing like it in my life

Saw that happen to my own place and a neighbour's place in 1997, it just looks like a piece of paper in the wind except it is metal.

I hate that this is heading this way.

Staying safe is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Just got very dark and very calm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Severe windstorm is about to hit your area, within an hour, you are currently pretty much in the eye of the storm (actually it's just to your northwest but anyway expect a sharp increase in wind speed there very soon). When it hits, it will last most of the afternoon.

but the eye of the storm is the calmest part? isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Incredibly dark with torrential rain just started last 5 mins or so in limerick city.

Advertisement