Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

TOTALLY agree! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i herad moart is ment to be fantastic, my boss was there last year and said it was amazing, im being whisked away in feb for a weekend minus our 17mth old which i am so looking forward to coz im so tired, between looking after her (which i love dont get me wrong) and work and study and im helping my boss with a practical part of her thesis at the moment too so the weekend away is just exactly what i need x

hope all the lovely july ladies are doing well xx

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sciencebod

Jerrica wrote: »
    I had... something?!?! the other day and I don't know if it was gas or movement :D

How is everyone? I'm developing a proper bump now, just loving it. Betsie_xr3i don't be hard on yourself with the moods, it's largely out of control at the moment and it's not like you're doing it on purpose.

I ate a WHOLE LOAF of soda raisin bread last night. If heroine was a food I imagine that's what it would taste like. So delicious. I was craving savoury stuff in the first trimester and now I've gotten a huge sweet tooth.

sciencebod how was the antenatal class? You're some woman for one woman for doing exams in the thick of all this!!

It's started that way for me - flutters and not being sure - but yes it def is movement because it's getting a lot more obvious now and and always seems to start at about 11pm every night. Hubby can't wait to feel it too and he keep's saying, 'hello, hello, hello,' to my tummy - lol. My latest craving is baked potato and with lashings of peanut butter on top :D. The first antenatal appointment was just getting me booked in on the system. Good first impressions of hospital and meet a lot of the staff on the maternity ward. Lots of support for first time mums and they're very big on things like 'skin to skin' contact, Rooming-in' and lots of help with breast feeding etc. They were very happy with my weight, blood pressure, iron levels, vit D levels etc. Consultant quickly did a scan to look for heartbeat and found that no problem. I was given numbers to get booked for local classes and on breastfeeding and antenatal classes which will start in May. I have my official scan booked for next Thursday on the 25th. Let me know how you get on with your first appointment Jerrica. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

It's official.........I have turned into Pramzilla.........I'm obsessed :(

Spending far more time than is healthy on the Internet researching buggies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Booked our gender scan for Saturday 22nd after my 20 week booking appointment.
    Don't know why I am so nervous about the scan, baby kicks now and even though I don't always feel it, I can watch him/her move when I take a shower by directing the water, and my partner has felt odd little protrusions that suddenly disappear and reappear elsewhere if they feel the warm water move :D
    But all the same, my nerves are shot, suppose it's because I've only had one scan and it was almost 5 weeks ago! I've been terribly geared up for a boy. I don't feel I would be disappointed with a girl, but a boy was the first thing that came to me when I found out, my partner is also convinced it's a boy (and he says he would equally love to have a girl, but a private chat I wish I hadn't seen suggests subtly otherwise :( ). I'm worried that if I get told its a girl, I will feel disappointed - or worse - my partner will. I only want a boy first because I've always loved the idea of a big brother for my girl(s).
    I let my partner pick a girls name (quite pleased with what he came up with) in the hopes that it would help, and I asked him to pick the first baby outfit when we know if they are an Elliot or a Lori - all going well I'm making a mountain out of a molehill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

The thing is though, once you catch first sight of that baby the chances are you aren't going to care if it's a boy or a girl - if it's healthy you'll be happy :) I think it's quite normal to have preferences for one gender or another, but from speaking to other new mums the only thing we'll really feel when we meet the new arrival for the first time is overwhelming love and happiness.

The movements of your bump sound amazing :)

The thing is though, once you catch first sight of that baby the chances are you aren't going to care if it's a boy or a girl - if it's healthy you'll be happy :) I think it's quite normal to have preferences for one gender or another, but from speaking to other new mums the only thing we'll really feel when we meet the new arrival for the first time is overwhelming love and happiness.

The movements of your bump sound amazing :)

Youre most likely right. Watching the movements, feeling them, buying babygros all make me cry with excitement. Guess im glad I can find out all the same so I can adjust my way of thinking if it is a little girl. Her name is Lori Alexis, which I think sounds really sophisticated for a man who would prefer a boy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I thought my 1st was a boy until my gender scan and I still didnt believe it was a girl until I held her in my arms x I think this one is a boy though, everything about this pregnancy is so different

Just had two short and very obvious kicks in a row, with another equally obvious one about a minute later.

So right Jerrica, I'm sitting here blubbering like an idiot and singing to the baby that I love them and I can't wait to hold them. My heart feels like it's about to explode. I really don't care if it's a boy or a girl any more, I just feel so utterly overwhelmed. It's finally sunk in that I made a tiny person, and my son or daughter is just after getting my attention with a prod :D

Wonderful news ShaSha, delighted for you - enjoy every second of it!! :D

• Advertisement

Wonderful news ShaSha, delighted for you - enjoy every second of it!! :D

Until tomorrow, of course, when I haven't felt another kick and am convinced the child's legs have fallen off :o

17 + 3 today and zero weight gain yet. Still down the same 2lbs I lost at the start while I wasn't eating much.

I'm not a skinnie minnie at the best of times so I know that might be why I'm not gaining much but I expected something by this stage. I'm slightly worried that my dates are wrong even though my 12 week scan showed very consistent measurements. If they put back my dates at my big scan in 2 weeks ill be so disappointed.........im so selfish!!

I do have a slightly bloated bump type appearance in the evening but nothing during the day, just my regular pot belly & my clothes all fit exactly the same as before when I get dressed in the morning.

Never thought I'd be hoping to put on weight! !

Isn't pregnancy just the most worrying time of your life!??! :D Baby is only about 5 ounces in weight now so if you're not showing any major gain on the scales I don't think it's anything to worry about. Weight gain is so, so individual for each person, if you're feeling well otherwise and all was looking good at the 12 weeks scan I think (and I'm including myself here!!) we have to trust our bodies and our babies to do what they're meant to do :)

Isn't pregnancy just the most worrying time of your life!??! :D Baby is only about 5 ounces in weight now so if you're not showing any major gain on the scales I don't think it's anything to worry about. Weight gain is so, so individual for each person, if you're feeling well otherwise and all was looking good at the 12 weeks scan I think (and I'm including myself here!!) we have to trust our bodies and our babies to do what they're meant to do :)

I'm not worried about baby at all. I'm happy it's doing what it's meant to be!!
    Just find my lack of weight gain frustrating more than anything cos of so many people's comments :)

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I'm not worried about baby at all. I'm happy it's doing what it's meant to be!!
    Just find my lack of weight gain frustrating more than anything cos of so many people's comments :)

I'll take your delightful lack of weight gain and raise you a frightening 17lbs gain in 18 weeks :(

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'll take your delightful lack of weight gain and raise you a frightening 17lbs gain in 18 weeks :(

I'm sure it will balance out for both of us.......mine will speed up, yours should slow down. Do you look properly pregnant yet? That must be very exciting!!!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I'm sure it will balance out for both of us.......mine will speed up, yours should slow down. Do you look properly pregnant yet? That must be very exciting!!!

I've a massive bump! :p
    Was a bit self conscious of it because of the weight gain and didn't want people thinking I was proudly showing off a beer gut, but apparently it's quite obviously a pregnancy bump!

ShaSha my bump is starting to explode in size now too so you're not the only hugemongous one in here, and my bump is only 17 weeks old as of yesterday :)

Went to visit friends of ours yesterday evening who had their fourth baby last Saturday, she is gorgeous and both Mum and Dad are two of the kindest, most level-headed warm and open people who could wish to meet. Had a lovely cuddle with the new arrival and had lovely chats about the birth and pregnancy in general and it did me the world of good. Talking to other mums is so, so cathartic.

Mind you Lulu does love to make his/ her presence known - I woke at 3am with the most awful period-like cramps that lasted for about two hours. I was on tenterhooks waiting to see if a bleed would accompany it, but thankfully it all settled down and I can only assume it was round ligament pain. I'll call the midwife this morning to confirm. Oh and prune juice has stopped working its magic. I am crucified on the loo every three days. Ugh.

But despite my endless moaning, I'm feeling good - I trust my body and I trust my baby and everything is going to be fine :) (Guess who's been listening to their GentleBirth affirmations :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Such a healthy attitude, Jerrica! You'll both be just fine. :) You really will!

Hi ladies, glad you're all well! I'm 16+2 and have also developed a proper little bump almost overnight! I can't stop rubbing it! :)

Jerrica, I am glad you're in good form and feeling positive. Have you tried Fybogel for your bunged-upness?! It is very good and should be able to help things along. Just have glass of it at night before bed - the orange one actually tastes good! I eat a lot of pineapple and it's not something I'm suffering from thank goodness so maybe you could try some pineapple as well? It's rich in fiber and its absolutely delicious!

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    Hi ladies, glad you're all well! I'm 16+2 and have also developed a proper little bump almost overnight! I can't stop rubbing it! :)
    Isn't it an absolutely wonderful feeling??
    Merkin wrote:
    Jerrica, I am glad you're in good form and feeling positive. Have you tried Fybogel for your bunged-upness?! It is very good and should be able to help things along. Just have glass of it at night before bed - the orange one actually tastes good! I eat a lot of pineapple and it's not something I'm suffering from thank goodness so maybe you could try some pineapple as well? It's rich in fiber and its absolutely delicious!

Oh I am a connoisseur of constipation treatments :D Even before pregnancy if my bowels got so much of a hint of a change in diet or situation they would clam up like a bear trap. Fybogel, psyllium husk, fibrous greens, warm water, lemon, pears, prunes, fybogel - you name it, my bowels have been given it. One of these days I'm going to write a Big Fat Poo Guide based on my experiences :D

I eat well and I exercise, there's no major gaps in my behaviour that have caused it, it's just down to progesterone from what I can make out. Unfortunately fybogel doesn't tend to be strong enough for me, but I just had a lovely chat with a midwife and she suggested getting Duphalac to try and soften the stools (pretty much what the problem is right now). It's more than a little embarrassing to say, but I have to inspect what I pass fairly regularly to see how I fare against the Bristol Stool Chart :pac:

Anyhoo, I also chatted to the midwife about my pains and she said that in the absence of fever, diarrhoea, vomiting or bleeding it's nothing to get too worried about, but keep an eye and call A&E if it happens again and gets worse. So it was most likely Lulu stretching his or her legs and having a little midnight party in there!!

Oh God, you're on poo watch! :P Hopefully the Duphalac will help things along!

I read that twinges, stabby pains, slight cramping, stretching.....all part and parcel of this stage of pregnancy. I definitely have a little bit of round ligament pain, especially when I turn in bed or cough and get stretchy pains along my pelvis. Like you say, I think it's just bubba stretching out for a little yawn or having a little wiggle!

Merkin wrote: »
    Oh God, you're on poo watch! :P

No-one warned me what a sexy experience pregnancy was :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jane85

Hi Ladies,
    I think this is where belong! This is my first pregnancy and I'm due on the 18th July..it's great to be able to read all the posts here, I feel a lot more at ease now I know I'm not the only one who's ridiculously worrying about things that I don't need to! :-)

Welcome Jane! I'm due on the 24th so just a few days after you, also my first pregnancy! Hope it's going well for you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I might just check in here too. I'm due on 23rd with my first too.

But I'm afraid I'm on opposite camp than all you are... Yes, you guessed it right. It wasn't planned. Myself and my OH aren't mad about kids at all. We're opposite to that really. We seriously don't like kids, especially me. And the smaller they're the more I don't like them. My maternal instinct is nonexistent. We talked before about having one, maybe in two years time or so but honestly it probably would never have happened at all. Anyways, we're stuck with this one now and there's no way out. So lets looks at the brighter side of things...

I always had long menstrual periods of 30+days and they weren't very regular either. It allowed some "room for error" and there we have it. I wasn't aware I was pregnant for about two months. I had my last period when I was pregnant already. I went to see my GP in beginning of January, told him I was about two months along but he insisted I was far more ahead. I went for a private scan and his suspicions were confirmed, 14 weeks, that was over two weeks ago.
    So now I'm at around 16-17weeks, nearly half way through and what can I say... I've been very lucky so far. I have no major symptoms like feeling weak, nauseous, very sore or sick in any other way. I feel as normal, ok say "as usual" apart the bump... I don't crave any particular foods, I might be eating a little bit normal - I've gained 3-3.5kg (7lbs) to this day - right on target here. Here's my baby bump:

Babybump09-02-1419wks_zps6f639347.jpg

Of course, there're few annoying things because of the pregnancy, you know it: peeing very often, too often! and getting tired quicker than usual. I feel knackered now, and it's only 10pm and I got up at 10 this morning - short day! My low blood pressure doesn't help here either. me too get an odd cramp or nagging period like pain sometimes but I have that under control now due to taking extra magnesium supplement. Or I just got used to and don't notice it anymore :cool: One more moan: my close-fit style wardrobe is turning obsolete at a mad pace, I have almost nothing left to wear!

I can't wait for the weather to pick up that I can be a little more active. I go to the gym 2-4 times a week and do some weight lifting. Nothing mad, I can't do certain things, I know, it just moving around makes me feel less miserable and less depressed. and I have a lot of free time to be depressed. I don't work at the moment. I quit my job I went back to college two years ago in a bald bid to change my career (in recession times, mad!). I'm doing my final exams this may and I should be looking for work to gain that vital experience to become qualified in my chosen field but... now it's all out the window. I'm feeling very down because of this :(

I have an appointment in Holles street this wednesday and I'm absolutely dreading it. First thing is getting there for 8am! in the morning. It's a long long ride on the bus from wicklow - I'm too terrified to drive in. I've read their instruction they've sent me - they sound a lot of like Ryanair: go there, do this, sit here, queue in the the q marked X, go back, sign this and that, it's mad! Going to the hospital itself makes me feel sick, seeing a person in white lab-coat sends my blood pressure soaring. it's terrible terrible terribly terrible!!!!

Hi jane and j@utis :) Jane you'll find plenty of other pregnant worriers here - it's the one thing theyd ont really warn you about!! Congratulations on your pregnancy and enjoy the journey.

j@utis being pregnant is stressful enough as it is, but if this was unplanned and not an ideal situation then it's extra distress for you that makes it a bit harder. But like you say, here you are, and whatever about your conscious mind, your subconscious is doing a damn good job of preparing you for motherhood - your symptoms so far seem as normal as anything :)

There are quite a few stories around the forum of women who had unplanned and reluctanct pregnancies. Every story has a happy ending but that doesn't diminish from the confusion that you might have now. And don't be afraid to voice any fears or doubts, even the most planned pregnancy comes attached with a lifetime of worry.

Oh and I hear you on the form fitting clothes :D At 17 weeks I've "graduated" to an almost exclusive maternity wardrobe. ASOS are a godsend - New Look do a good range of Jersey maternity fitted tees and sweaters, and the ASOS Maternity brand does a range of skinny maternity jeans called Elgins - I'm a big fan.

Great to have you here on the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Hey folks, just wondering if there was someone who was an expert in getting comfortable in bed at night time? :-/ I was reading somewhere that you should try and sleep on your left hand side and not sleep on your back as this can reduce the oxygen supply to the baby. I have always slept on my front so it's proving difficult retraining my body into this new position, so much so I don't think I'm going into a deep sleep at all as I feel 'aware' the whole night through. Last night I was surround by 4 pillows and I was as stiff as a poker when I got up. Does it really matter what way you lie??

J@utis, I think a lot of people aren't fond of babies/children but when it's your very own wee girl or boy looking back at you, you may feel very different (especially when the hormones kick in!) I like kids but when I saw my sister's two girls as babies I felt so overwhelmed with love for them...this doesn't happen to me with other peoples' babies. I gave up my job a few years ago to do a masters and 6 months in I had to give it up as I was suffering from Fibromyagia (chronic fatigue etc). It was a year before I realised that life doesn't always go to plan and I had to accept the way my life is and move on. Thankfully my hubby works and I can just enjoy living (simple living!) but I know this wee baby will be a new lease of live for me. For someone who has lots of energy and drive, being a mother shouldn't impact too much on your career. Focus on your exams in May and get them out of the way, keep up the exercising...maybe nothing too strenuous but definately something like walking. Best of luck with the scan...see if you can drag someone along with you to keep you company :-) xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Hey folks, just wondering if there was someone who was an expert in getting comfortable in bed at night time? :-/ I was reading somewhere that you should try and sleep on your left hand side and not sleep on your back as this can reduce the oxygen supply to the baby. I have always slept on my front so it's proving difficult retraining my body into this new position, so much so I don't think I'm going into a deep sleep at all as I feel 'aware' the whole night through. Last night I was surround by 4 pillows and I was as stiff as a poker when I got up. Does it really matter what way you lie??

I agonised over this the whole time I was pregnant! :o No matter what way I went to sleep, I'd often wake up flat on my back. Which was funny, since I never used to sleep that way before I got pregnant.

Every doctor and midwife I asked about this assured me it was fine to sleep any way I wanted to.

I could never get comfy on my left side anyways, so I used to go to sleep on my right and often wake up on my back. I did this right up until I gave birth, and it doesn't seem to have done the baby any harm!

From what I've read online about it, it usually gets to a stage where it's too uncomfortable to lie on your back. But if it doesn't, it's because the baby isn't in a position where it's interfering with blood flow etc. I know mine was always well over to one side, so maybe that's why I wasn't affected.

Maybe mention it to a doctor or midwife, and they can reassure you. But I wouldn't worry about it!

• Advertisement

One of my best mates is also pregnant, with her second, and is a few weeks ahead of me. As soon as I did the test she sent me a link for one of these and said it was an absolute God-send for when baby starts to grow and sleeping becomes uncomfortable. I tend to sleep on my left side anyway (although often wake up on my back and I'm not unduly worried) but I have it on good authority that these are the business! :) Hope this helps.

http://www.mothercare.com/Dreamgenii-Pregnancy-And-Feeding-Support-Pillow/933928,default,pd.html

Edit: Just had a look at the reviews and they recommend it for people who like to normally sleep on their tummy!

Advertisement