Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Jerrica wrote: »
    sciencebod and ShaSha your Colleges/ Uni should have provisions for you as student mothers, and there should be someone you can talk to about all the support services available (from the practical - creche services, to the legal -aternigy leave entitlements). I work in that area in a University so feel free to send me a PM and I can find out more about what you may I've available to you - totally in confidence of course :)

Absolutely no provisions for me, they got rid of the creche and the only support service they have in place is that all my labs are risk assessed to save me having to do it myself :D
    Legally there isn't a whole lot for me to worry about - planned pregnancy with my partner, and I'll be graduated before I give birth :o

Went for my 12 week checkup today. Blood pressure is perfect, urine is still testing positive, about 7lbs on (give or take a few because I was last weighed a few weeks before pregnancy) in the 12 weeks and he reckons my uterus is sitting exactly where it should be for 12 weeks. He didn't have a doppler, but assured me that my uterus wouldn't have moved up if I had a missed miscarriage earlier on, and that he's confident enough that, for now at least, everything is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sciencebod

sciencebod and ShaSha your Colleges/ Uni should have provisions for you as student mothers, and there should be someone you can talk to about all the support services available (from the practical - creche services, to the legal -aternigy leave entitlements). I work in that area in a University so feel free to send me a PM and I can find out more about what you may I've available to you - totally in confidence of course :)
    Thank you so much for that Jerrica - I may PM you later if I get stuck on anything. There really isn't much support at my college for this kind of thing. To be honest the college is still getting to grips with its increasing mature student population let alone advising 'pregnant' mature students. So again thanks :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 R.P.McMurphy

Hi all, girlfriend has the 12 week appointment in the Coombe coming up. Is this a scan or an ultrasound? Was hoping to see the baby when we go in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Went to Babyscan.ie today for an early pregnancy scan. Thought I was 11w5d but it seems I am actually 12w4d so nearly a week ahead.......woohoo! All was fine thankfully, very active baby so saw loads of movement and different views. Got 6 pics to take home which are very clear. All we need to do now is tell people (immediate family know already) which I am actually nervous about...........I HATE fuss and being the centre of attention. Silly ungrateful complaint I know :(

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    All we need to do now is tell people (immediate family know already) which I am actually nervous about...........I HATE fuss and being the centre of attention. Silly ungrateful complaint I know :(
    Not silly at all Ocean, I hate fuss too and more than anything I hope people aren't gunna just talk to me about pregnancy and babies non stop because I still have other things going on in my life :rolleyes:. We plan to tell close family this week - I'm 14 weeks, and extended family at 20 weeks but to be honest I don't intend to tell anyone else until it's born. Prob just stick a quick announcement up on facebook letting people know I've had a kid one day - lol. Other thing is we've decided to not find out baby's gender till it's born - shock, horror - lol

sciencebod wrote: »
    Not silly at all Ocean, I hate fuss too and more than anything I hope people aren't gunna just talk to me about pregnancy and babies non stop because I still have other things going on in my life :rolleyes:. We plan to tell close family this week - I'm 14 weeks, and extended family at 20 weeks but to be honest I don't intend to tell anyone else until it's born. Prob just stick a quick announcement up on facebook letting people know I've had a kid one day - lol. Other thing is we've decided to not find out baby's gender till it's born - shock, horror - lol

You're a patient woman. I need to know the gender. Like now. Immediately. :rolleyes:

Everyone I know knows. My mother decided that as part of the immediate family, we had to go out and tell my grandmother (who I do not get on with for personal reasons that are nothing to do with age). She was sworn to secrecy by my mother, who will never learn, and by the time we got home (it's a 4 minute drive) EVERYONE knew. I mean everyone. Like I was getting added on Facebook by old friends and even old not-friends from secondary school to congratulate me!
    I was only 4 weeks at that stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Hi all, girlfriend has the 12 week appointment in the Coombe coming up. Is this a scan or an ultrasound? Was hoping to see the baby when we go in!

This will most likely be a check-up. The scan will come later (20 weeks I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Yes the coombe do give you a scan and some pictures at 12 week appointment, Then you will have your "big"scan between 20-22 weeks,
    They spend a lot longer scanning at this one as they have to check all baby's organs etc!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taytor

lainycool wrote: »
    Yes the coombe do give you a scan and some pictures at 12 week appointment, Then you will have your "big"scan between 20-22 weeks,
    They spend a lot longer scanning at this one as they have to check all baby's organs etc!

Good luck!

Do you know if holles st give you a scan at 12 weeks also. Have my 12 week app in couple of weeks haven't had a scan yet. First pregnancy so i havent a clue what to expect

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    You're a patient woman. I need to know the gender. Like now. Immediately. :rolleyes:

Everyone I know knows. My mother decided that as part of the immediate family, we had to go out and tell my grandmother (who I do not get on with for personal reasons that are nothing to do with age). She was sworn to secrecy by my mother, who will never learn, and by the time we got home (it's a 4 minute drive) EVERYONE knew. I mean everyone. Like I was getting added on Facebook by old friends and even old not-friends from secondary school to congratulate me!
    I was only 4 weeks at that stage :(
    Oh nightmare - and you were only 4 weeks. See that's exactly the kinda thing I wanted to avoid. Anyways - happy days we're past the dreaded 12 week mark now :).

sciencebod wrote: »
    Oh nightmare - and you were only 4 weeks. See that's exactly the kinda thing I wanted to avoid. Anyways - happy days we're past the dreaded 12 week mark now :).

13 weeks tomorrow, and still terrified :D
    But today I feel pregnant. When I sit or move, I can feel my uterus moving about. I can feel the constant pressure of it. Not uncomfortable or sore, just "there". Very reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

taytor wrote: »
    Do you know if holles st give you a scan at 12 weeks also. Have my 12 week app in couple of weeks haven't had a scan yet. First pregnancy so i havent a clue what to expect

Hi

I went to the coombe myself but do know women who have went to holles street and I think they do give you a mini scan, I think it might depend on doctor that you get on the day and maybe the fact it's your 1st baby they will be more inclined to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Anyone's bodies changed much yet? My body is playing tricks on me..........no weigh gain yet (still down the 2lbs I lost at the start) but my boobs and stomach are definitely bigger and I feel huge. Must have lost weight elsewhere to balance it out maybe?

No bump yet but my existing belly is firmer and more prominent - no sucking or pushing it in anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My boobs have been growing since conception! I've gone up three full cup sizes and my boobs are now absolutely humungous. Am only 12 weeks this coming Thursday! I also feel like I'm starting to show a little to be honest and I definitely "feel" pregnant! Am looking forward to getting past the twelve week mark please God as it has been an eventful pregnancy so far! (Bleeds at 6 weeks and 9 weeks)

Took a most hilarious bloated bump picture last night, my stomach is huge all the time now, even on waking it protrudes! Gonna pretend its a baby bump!

First scan in T-4 hours. Sick with nerves and excitement, didnt sleep a wink last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

We had our 12 week check up and ultrasound this morning (opted for the First Trimester Screening). Mind. Blown. It was without doubt the most magical experience I've ever had in my life getting to see our baby right up there on the screen, clear as day. Strong heartbeat (hearing it kept making me cry :o), two perfect little legs tucked neatly underneath him or herself and a hand on either side of his or her head. Nuchal translucency only measured 1mm so that's another worry out of the way. I'm absolutely floating on cloud nine now, we're even further along than we'd calculated, 12+4 so the world can find out as far as I'm concerned :D

Awww congratulations Jerrica, that sounds like a lovely experience, how amazing to hear its little heart beating! I have mine on Thursday! xx

Merkin wrote: »
    Awww congratulations Jerrica, that sounds like a lovely experience, how amazing to hear its little heart beating! I have mine on Thursday! xx

I'm actually a little envious, I would relive that moment over and over again if I could!!! Take all of it in, it's just wonderful. You'll fall madly in love in a heartbeat :)

Agreed Jerrica, cried through most of the scan! Baby measurements put me at almost 14 weeks instead of just 13 so even less time to wait for the next one! Got to see lots of kicking and swimming! No length of time would have been long enough for that scan!

• Advertisement

Agreed Jerrica, cried through most of the scan! Baby measurements put me at almost 14 weeks instead of just 13 so even less time to wait for the next one! Got to see lots of kicking and swimming! No length of time would have been long enough for that scan!

Oh fantastic!! So you're only just July now? That's only six months away :eek: I know this probably sounds stupid but I think it's really only dawned on me today that we're having a B-A-B-Y. Jaysis :o

Oh fantastic!! So you're only just July now? That's only six months away :eek: I know this probably sounds stupid but I think it's really only dawned on me today that we're having a B-A-B-Y. Jaysis :o

10th of July now, not that long at all!!

15 weeks today and I think the sickness that I've had since week 6 is starting to lift a bit. Only feel it early morning and late night now which means yeay I can move away from all the crappy food I've been eating for the last 3 months and start doing some light exercise again :). Unfortunately noticed I can't get my wedding ring on any more - never mind I'll aim for thin fingers again after the birth - lol. Oh and I think I might be starting to feel the baby. Kept telling myself it's food or gas but no this feels different. It started happening 3 nights ago at the same time every night and its around my belly button area and it's only when I lie on my side and my belly's pressed into the matress. I start to get like fluttery, pokey movements def not imagining it. I am slim in build and many sites are saying slim women can feel it early but only time will tell if its the real deal. Anyways hope your all getting on fine and looking forward to our next scans - sciencebod :)

@sciencebod that must be such an amazing feeling! I'm so looking forward to that happening.

My appetite is starting to get back to normal too :) Still can't even face the thought of beef :pac: but otherwise I'm eating well during the day. I haven't put any major weight on yet but that's sure to change if my recent reintroduction of chocolate into my diet has anything to do with it :o

Went back to the gym for the first time in nearly four months (I broke my tibia and fibula a month before I got pregnant) and it was SUCH a lovely feeling!!

Weighed myself in my mum's and I've put on nearly a stone since I got pregnant!!! :( Nobody's fault but my own and I totally know I ate every lb of it! My only excuse is I have had nothing but savoury cravings, sometimes so strong that, if I ignore them, I start to feel extremely nauseous and will get sick. So there was a lot of nibbling on crisps, Doritos with dip, crackers with cheese or Philly and quite a few stir-in pasta dishes!

Cravings are more manageable now (it seems) so I suppose it is the time to get my act together and start eating better. I'd really hope I wouldn't put on a whole pile more than another stone in the rest of the pregnancy, that would be me at my biggest ever, and I didn't exactly start out small :(

I had my twelve week scan this morning and our little bubba actually looks like it is smiling in the picture! It looks all toasty and snug, was doing quite a bit of ballet and the consultant said that I had an exceptionally clear umbilical cord in the scan so I reckon bubba probably loves its grub already (both hubby and I are foodies! :))

We didn't hear a heartbeat, I'm not even sure the sound was on (saw the little heart beating away happily though) and only thought of that afterwards. We're now going to tell people (although I've told a bunch of nearest and dearest already :o) and it's just a lovely day overall! I'm so in love with bubba already!

Weighed myself in my mum's and I've put on nearly a stone since I got pregnant!!! :( Nobody's fault but my own and I totally know I ate every lb of it! My only excuse is I have had nothing but savoury cravings, sometimes so strong that, if I ignore them, I start to feel extremely nauseous and will get sick. So there was a lot of nibbling on crisps, Doritos with dip, crackers with cheese or Philly and quite a few stir-in pasta dishes!

Cravings are more manageable now (it seems) so I suppose it is the time to get my act together and start eating better. I'd really hope I wouldn't put on a whole pile more than another stone in the rest of the pregnancy, that would be me at my biggest ever, and I didn't exactly start out small :(

I think weight during pregnancy is such a horrible psychological issue. If you lose it through vomiting or nausea there's a worry that you're not able to provide bump with enough nutrition, and if you gain it you're worried that you'll end up mahoossive and it's not like you can start dieting while you're duffed up :D

Try not to be too hard on yourself, easier said that done I know, but hopefully now that the cravings are starting to weaken it'll make life a little smoother. Are you walking around much at the moment?
    I had my twelve week scan this morning and our little bubba actually looks like it is smiling in the picture! It looks all toasty and snug, was doing quite a bit of ballet and the consultant said that I had an exceptionally clear umbilical cord in the scan so I reckon bubba probably loves its grub already (both hubby and I are foodies! :))

We didn't hear a heartbeat, I'm not even sure the sound was on (saw the little heart beating away happily though) and only thought of that afterwards. We're now going to tell people (although I've told a bunch of nearest and dearest already :o) and it's just a lovely day overall! I'm so in love with bubba already!

I was all :D reading that!!!!! So delighted for you Merkin!!

I was all :D reading that!!!!! So delighted for you Merkin!!

Thanks so much my dear! I know you went through a lovely experience too recently! It's a lovely feeling to get to 12 weeks isn't it? :)

I think weight during pregnancy is such a horrible psychological issue. If you lose it through vomiting or nausea there's a worry that you're not able to provide bump with enough nutrition, and if you gain it you're worried that you'll end up mahoossive and it's not like you can start dieting while you're duffed up :D

Try not to be too hard on yourself, easier said that done I know, but hopefully now that the cravings are starting to weaken it'll make life a little smoother. Are you walking around much at the moment?

Not walking as much right now as I was a few weeks ago before the college semester ended to be honest. Was hoping to find a good pregnancy yoga DVD and start doing some of that in the house for the next few weeks until college starts back up. I'd do a lot of walking there, obviously 15 mins uphill to and from the bus stop daily, and then walking to and from classes all day as well! Slimming world worked wonders for me before, so I plan to go straight back there once my weight settles after having the baby.

We didn't hear a heartbeat either, she scanned it and the little lines came up on the screen, and she said it was strong and regular. We could see it though, thrumming away, and I didn't stop crying through the whole thing. My partner managed to man his way through it with just a grin, but he confessed to me last night, in tears, that when I gasped at the scan (when she stopped looking in my empty tubes and SHOWED ME THE BLOODY BABY!!!! :mad: ) he completely welled up :D

• Advertisement

Not walking as much right now as I was a few weeks ago before the college semester ended to be honest. Was hoping to find a good pregnancy yoga DVD and start doing some of that in the house for the next few weeks until college starts back up. I'd do a lot of walking there, obviously 15 mins uphill to and from the bus stop daily, and then walking to and from classes all day as well! Slimming world worked wonders for me before, so I plan to go straight back there once my weight settles after having the baby.
    Every little helps, and activity is so good for bump too. That's how I've started to think about exercise, it's going make it easier on me and Lulu when the time comes for him or her to come into the world, and having that motivation makes it a little easier. I'm dying to start yoga pregnancy classes too!
    Thanks so much my dear! I know you went through a lovely experience too recently! It's a lovely feeling to get to 12 weeks isn't it? :)
    Isn't it just?? I fell like I can properly relax and just enjoy it all. Pure bliss :) Yay for all of us \o/

Advertisement