Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Thanks :-) That gives me peace of mind. I'm having my second scan in two weeks so I'll ask then. Tonight I'm going to swap sides with my hubby and see if that helps!

Geez that looks great...they're pricey enough but I suppose, worth it if you get a good night's sleep. I'll have to see if my nearest shop has one :-) Thanks so much for the advice guys :-) xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I was given that pillow as a gift at Christmas, it's my most favourite thing in the world right now!! I'm another tummy sleeper but had to stop as soon as I got pregnant because of my sore boobs. I started using the pillow on a whim last week and even though my bump is still small enough, I really feel a difference to the way my hips are positioned when I sleep. So so comfy and cuddly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I know Woolly, it is a bit on the pricey side but then, a decent night's sleep is priceless in my opinion! Really hope it works for you, there is nothing worse than not sleeping well. Just as a little relaxant before bed, I find a cup of hot milk really lovely and soothing so maybe try that until the pillow arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Been quite the last while, havw been sick, noting to do with pregnancy, have a severe throat infection and chest infection, on a bucket load of tablets, sleeping Is a nightmare, I go to bed enery night sleeoing on all the spare pillowsnin the house, but I end up down in the recliner every night and I dont sleep properly in it :( im not eating great at the moment and I have lost 6lb I was worried but asked my gp and he said not to worry, I habe a biy of extra weight so that will keep baby going, im just to worry aabout looking after me

• Advertisement

So I'm now the proad owner of a Dreamgenii maternity pillow :-) just had a lovely mug of hot chocolate and I'm ready for bed. I'll let ye know how I get on!

Betsie you poor thing. I hope you feel better soon xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

So, I had my first anti-natal visit at holles st earlier today. I booked for public care initially but after seeing and experiencing the mayhem today I switched to semi-private. The waiting room was jam packed with pregnant ladies and their support teams, most of them first time there like myself, not knowing where to go and what to do, loads of misunderstanding, wrong names called at the times, some names called at the wrong times etc... My urine and blood samples were taken in very rushed manner, chat with midwife was brief too and to top it all off: I saw my consultant for about 5 mins maximum and that was after 1.5hr wait because he was an hour late to arrive to work. He took my blood pressure and did a quick 15 seconds scan - fetus heartbeat present, expected delivery date correct; that's it - bye and see you in 6 weeks time(no thanks). I'm so glad I don't have to go back there again, I'll be seeing a consultant in a satellite clinic closer to where I live. I'm wondering how visits in semi-private care are like?
    Also while waiting for consultant to see me, the lady broke into uncontrollable cry in the room (well it's more cubicle than a room) beside me. I'm afraid it wasn't good news she was given. Staff tried their best to comfort her but she went on and on, for about ten mins or more, very chilling experience :(

Few things I forgot to moan about in my previous post: breast size and sex drive. My sex drive took a complete nose dive the moment when I saw "+" on my pregnancy test. I'm amazed how my whole desire and enjoyment of sex is more psychological than physiological. It just doesn't feel like anything before, it's not pleasant anymore, I can't relax, my mind isn't on sex anymore, it's on the baby. So sex is a no no since last xmas. My OH says he understands, oh god bless him, it's gonna be a long period of abstinence.
    My chest size went up by one cup size, now I'm a generous B and almost spilling out of it. I used to be an A, sometimes B, depending on the bra brand. What I have to say: I absolutely hate my big boobs. I will never ever understand ladies going for a boob job and aiming for a size D or more! it's crazy, my Bs are so in the way all the time, they're so awkward and ugly, I want my small boobies back!!!

I'm wondering if you crave any foods? I'm having this weird craving for I don't know what for a about two weeks now and I can't figure it out! I eat a nice, healthy meal and after it I'm still not satisfied. I think my body is looking for something in my food and it isn't there, so it sends me raiding the kitchen but it just isn't there. I don't crave sweets, treats, deserts or any of that kind of stuff, I don't eat any junk food, so I don't crave that too...
    Couple months ago I was so "attracted" to dark leafy greens, like spinach and rocket salad leaves, I could take a pack of these and eat them straight! and I felt great afterwards. I googled it then and it said folic acid in the green stuffs - and that was right - folic acid was in great demand in first semester. I'm wondering what is it now :rolleyes:
    J@utis, I think a lot of people aren't fond of babies/children but when it's your very own wee girl or boy looking back at you, you may feel very different (especially when the hormones kick in!)
    I bid on those hormones to kick in at the right time! otherwise... I don't know... when I see crying child on the street I feel like picking him up and giving him a good shake and keep shaking him until he stops. Btw, I've never done this, I just feel this way!

I'm private in the Rotunda and the appointments system is pretty well run. We've never waited more than a few minutes in a comfy room with tv and newspapers, and the midwife had lots of time to spend with us on our 12 week visit. Although I see the same consultant every time, I still only get 15 minutes with her, but I imagine if there was something wrong that would be extended. If everything looks good we're shepherded out pretty fast :) I have to admit that for me personally going private is worth it for the comfort of my prenatal visits alone.

How was the pillow Woolly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Don't worry j@utis, I love kids and still feel like throttling screaming, bratty children when I come across them. It's a really annoying sound (especially when its obviously a whinge or a tantrum and not a child in pain) but I've learned to throw the mothers really dirty looks instead. I get that sometimes its not their fault, but you do not drag a whinging brat through a supermarket at 9 on a Saturday morning to scream, cry, throw glass jars and spit at you for a whole hour and a half - you leave that fecker at home!!!!!!
    Rant over :P

• Advertisement

Well I can totally recommend the pillow! I didn't sleep all that well last night as my mind was racing for some reason but by God was I comfortable! For someone who sleeps on their tummy it was a really nice support. Looking forward to it tonight :-)

Re cravings - I got up during the night and had a coleslaw sandwich...maybe I need the cabbage :-/

Re cravings - I got up during the night and had a coleslaw sandwich...maybe I need the cabbage :-/

I have permanent coleslaw cravings too :D I feel less weird now!!

I'm delighted it worked for you. I think I will probably need the pillow myself soon as I find my hips a little sore when I get up in the morning as are my comedy boobs which just seem to keep growing so the support and extra cushioning might help :o

Lolers at the coleslaw, I'm the same! Can't get enough of the Deli-Style coleslaw from M & S which is nearly good enough to eat on its own!

Any of you ladies know where I might get myself a cheap doppler of some description? Saw one going second hand for a tenner weeks ago and am ripping I didn't pick it up now!

I bought one a couple of weeks ago on Amazon Shasha and it's great insofar as it does the job and picks up the little heartbeat quite easily. Mr. Merkin and I have had a lovely time listening to baby Merkin together and it is reassuring to be able to have a little listen. It is not of *great* quality but then what can one expect for something so cheap? It serves its purpose. It's on offer at the moment so only £20 here in the UK, not sure how much it will be in €€.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angelsounds-Doppler-Monitor-Detector-RECORDING/dp/B008GSGE0I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392308398&sr=8-2&keywords=angel+doppler

Merkin wrote: »
    I bought one a couple of weeks ago on Amazon Shasha and it's great insofar as it does the job and picks up the little heartbeat quite easily. Mr. Merkin and I have had a lovely time listening to baby Merkin together and it is reassuring to be able to have a little listen. It is not of *great* quality but then what can one expect for something so cheap? It serves its purpose. It's on offer at the moment so only £20 here in the UK, not sure how much it will be in €€.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angelsounds-Doppler-Monitor-Detector-RECORDING/dp/B008GSGE0I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392308398&sr=8-2&keywords=angel+doppler

Be about 35 euros, but last time I tried to order off Amazon it wouldn't ship to Ireland :(

There's a few on Adverts for €15...they look better than the prehistoric thing my GP used a few weeks ago :-)

Could you try Parcel Motel?

Merkin wrote: »
    Could you try Parcel Motel?

Couldn't get to one, I don't drive :(
    Lady on my FB birth club is swearing by an iPhone app, I'd be dubious but then I don't have an iPhone to test it out in desperation :D
    All the apps on Google seem to be for attaching to a Doppler.
    Might have a look on Adverts now!

Hello ladies, I got an email from this crowd (see link) the other day about them having a 10% discount on everything until tomorrow. I didn't think to look for my pillow on their site but I see they have it and it's cheaper than Mothercare with free delivery. Discount code: love14 - use this to get the 10% off. FYI :-)

http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Dreamgenii-Pregnancy-Pillow--plus--Free-Shipping__4007.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I have that angelsounds baby doppler too! Very happy with it. Initially when I bought it at 14 weeks, I'd be able to hear his heart beat every couple of days, now at nearly 19 weeks, it's very easy to find.

Rua1 wrote: »
    I have that angelsounds baby doppler too! Very happy with it. Initially when I bought it at 14 weeks, I'd be able to hear his heart beat every couple of days, now at nearly 19 weeks, it's very easy to find.

I actually sustained a pretty serious shock yesterday morning (a car with joyriders smashed into a wall at high speed less than 20feet away from me!) and I was in pretty serious shock and had abdominal pain for hours afterwards and I cannot tell you the relief of being able to hear the baby this morning, I'd definitely recommend it, it's very comforting if you're a little worried isn't it?

How are all the July Mummy's? :) I'm 17 +4 today and bump has appeared in earnest! Feeling quite well and still managing to sleep a good 7 hours every night (with usually 2 pee breaks) so happy about that. Baby wriggling around lots, apparently the little things really begin to hear what's going on at this stage so we're talking to it lots and playing it some great music. How is everyone?

Hope you are feeling better after what happened to you, Merkin. Is incredibly unnerving when things like that happen. I was close to be being taken out by a learner driver while walking on the path a few years ago too....pretty freaky.

I'm still suffering from tiredness, although not quite as bad as at the beginning. Guess it will be much worse when he finally arrives. We had a gender scan last thursday, as we were dying to know what we were having, so we know it's a little boy. He must have just been starting to settle down for a sleep in the scan, and wouldn't budge so his head could be measured and examined properly. After trying all the tricks in the book to get him to move, I was sent out and told to walk around while they served the next lady. Thankfully me walking up and down the stairs several times got him to move, and all looks fine.

Think he's awake again now. I get flurries of little popcorn like sensations in my abdomen every couple of hours.

I'm 19 weeks tomorrow, nearly half way there.

Fine now Rua, very shaken at the time and found it a very unsettling experience but more or less forgotten now, thanks.

Congratulations on your little boy!! :) How lovely, did you have an inkling at all or was it a surprise? Little monkey hiding when it came to his little photoshoot, they are so bold like that! I tried for AGES to find bubba at the weekend with the Doppler and had no success and as soon as Mr. Merkin tried, he'd found it in less than five seconds!

I'm getting the bubbly movements too, it's lovely isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I haven't felt any movements yet or I just can't recognize them from errrr other functions of my bowels. Anterior placenta and inch of belly fat don't help that either...

I can't wait to find out sex of our baby but my next scan is not until April (25wks). I'd love a girl, my OH says he doesn't care, he just want baby to be healthy but for some reason all names he picks are boys' names :D

Did you have any preference Rua before finding out?

I feel sickly today. I woke up with this weird headache and I still have it. My belly is massive, much larger than it was yesterday, I can't say "bloated" it's more like water retention or smth, no pain though. I am bit worried that something isn't quite right. I checked my blood pressure and body temperature - these were normal. It's probably nothing serious and I'm just over-reacting, will see tomorrow.

I love my sleep and get plenty of it, 10hrs+, while I still can. I've noticed I'm no more comfortable laying on my back or my belly - pressure in lower abdomen says it's not right, turn around. I sleep on my either side, I tuck some of the blanket in between my legs or throw one leg over my partner to make myself comfortable and go ballistic if he dares to move and upset my set-up :D

I didn't have any preference either way really. A boy or a girl would be equally as delightful. I had no idea what he was, and my husband thought he was a little girl, so a bit off the mark.

I absolutely couldn't wait until my 'big' scan, so spent 95euro and went to Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock. Guess it depends how desperate you are to find out, and if you can/want to spend that amount on it.

My big scan is on the 13th of March, apparently. I'm one of the Mount Carmel refugees, so am going to the Coombe now, but haven't got a confirmed time for my scan. What I mess. I'm regretting being talked into going to Mt Carmel now, but that's with the benefit of hindsight.

I have funny headaches from time to time, and was absolutely exhausted last night. Even moving over to the other side of the couch to get the TV remote was too much for me. So I went to bed at 7pm......

Hi Rua, congratulations and welcome to the July club!

A tough week has had a really awesome end - Lulu is 19 weeks today and celebrated by giving me two firm kicks to my belly as I was on my way home on the train :D They were unmistakable, like someone flicking the inside of my belly, and looking back I've had one or two isolated ones over the last couple weeks but they were weaker and I put them down to gas!! I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat this evening.

I've had pretty nasty headaches the last couple of days too, hate taking paracetamol but these are too strong to ignore. Oh and Duphalac is a godsend for blocked up bowels :o

Aw Jerrica Im thrilled for you. I'm 18 weeks today and bubba is also very busy, even hubby felt the little thing jiggling about this morning. It's such a lovely sensation isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Had my anatomy scan today in Wexford at 18+6. My previous scan had me at 19+4 but consultant was insistent he was changing my dates...... total bummer :(

Anyway, more importantly, everything looked fine! Delighted with the public clinic down there, very efficient. In and out in 1.5 hours and that was for three appointments (scan/midwife/consultant). Next job is to book ante-natal classes. When we do them is likely to be dictated by availability but I have a choice when is the optimal time to do them?? Forgot to ask today. .....

Advertisement