Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Lemlin wrote: »
    Are yas worth chancing in an accumulator for the weekend lads?

I do think so. I think their fitness and the fact we had 5 games so far will pay off and get them over the line for the 2 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I wouldn't.

Mayo have named a strong enough team including 8 that started last year's All Ireland Final.

We have a pretty inexperienced team at the moment mainly due to the huge injury list. Darroch Mulhall, Podge Fogarty, Cathal McNally, Kevin Murnaghan, Tommy Moolick and Mick O'Grady are all untested at this level.

I think it'll be a tight game but very hard to call who will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No way that is a very weak Kildare side who will struggle to put points on the board and the full back line is very suspect IMO

That mayo team need a good game to get themselfs going. I dont think they are going to be any where near match fit on sunday thats why we could beat them.
    I wouldnt fancy meeting them in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The county hurlers' Kehoe Cup semi final against Down will be played on pitch 4 in Hawkfield tomorrow!

It's a disgrace how these lads are treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

i was looking at all the great footballers you have , but i can't see anyone saying anything about the GREAT SEANY

flossy1 wrote: »
    i was looking at all the great footballers you have , but i can't see anyone saying anything about the GREAT SEANY

now now dont mention the war.

Sean Hurley? Good player but I wouldn't call him a great just yet.

Bord Na Mona Kehoe Cup Semi Final

Kildare 1-9 Down 1-8

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Great comeback by the hurlers today.

• Advertisement

Great result for the hurlers. They were 0-7 to 0-1 down at one stage.

Hopefully they can finish the job next weekend.

Interestingly the Kehoe Cup final, the footballers game against Cork and TMH's All Ireland final are all at the same time next Sunday.

Great day for football in newbridge. Not a cloud in the sky or breeze to be found.
    its important that we get the 2 points Today and keep the Ball rolling. If we lose I say the panel could get another chop after the game..
    kildare to win by 2

Gary White and Padraig Fogarty are doubtful starters today according to @KfmSport.

Great start to the league today for us. Nearly blew it at the end with our loose hand passing in the full back line.

I feared the worst when Cribbin was black carded bit to be fair, David Hyland was solid. Cribbin can't have any complaints.

Brophy was outstanding throughout and held his nerve to kick the winner with the last kick of the game. Tomás O'Connor really put a marker down today, he wasn't far behind Brophy in the MOTM stakes.

Ryan is assembling a very strong panel with the likes of JD, Callaghan, Fogarty, Flynn, Peter Kelly and Alan Smith yet to come back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

BNMC wrote: »
    Great start to the league today for us. Nearly blew it at the end with our loose hand passing in the full back line.

I feared the worst when Cribbin was black carded bit to be fair, David Hyland was solid. Cribbin can't have any complaints.

Brophy was outstanding throughout and held his nerve to kick the winner with the last kick of the game. Tomás O'Connor really put a marker down today, he wasn't far behind Brophy in the MOTM stakes.

Ryan is assembling a very strong panel with the likes of JD, Callaghan, Fogarty, Flynn, Peter Kelly and Alan Smith yet to come back in.

It was a Johnny Doylesque performance at times from Brophy hopefully he can reproduce it regularly. His attitude and work-rate on the pitch is brilliant.
    The defence looked porous again but the attacking play is very promising.

Cork beat Westmeath by 8 points today but it is a good time to be playing them as I'd imagine they will be playing an experimental enough team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Great start today.. . Tough and tight game

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Great advert for football today. Not too often that games played in February are worth remembering. Well done to Kildare for having the mental strength to get over the gift of an equaliser to us and get down the field for a great winner. It looks like the fear of black cards affected both defences but I think that there will be many controversies because of them this year. I don't think Hurley (I think it was) or Keegan could have had too many complaints if they saw one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Red Crow wrote: »
    No way that is a very weak Kildare side who will struggle to put points on the board and the full back line is very suspect IMO

Hmmm...

Fair play lads, fully deserved win today. Ropey as fcuk Mayo were in the backs and ye punished them well. Long range point taking was great on decent conditions for football even with that slight cross field wind. Hopefully we'll meet again come championship

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Fair play lads, fully deserved win today. Ropey as fcuk Mayo were in the backs and ye punished them well. Long range point taking was great on decent conditions for football even with that slight cross field wind. Hopefully we'll meet again come championship

Im hoping we avoid ye in championship ;) purely going on i know how good mayo are....

Mayo made a good account of themselves on and off the pitch today... your fans were in fine form and chatty and all which is always nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Im hoping we avoid ye in championship ;) purely going on i know how good mayo are....

Mayo made a good account of themselves on and off the pitch today... your fans were in fine form and chatty and all which is always nice to see

Best thing to happen to Kildare is that ego McGeeney is gone. Ryan has alot more going for him and you could see that today in Kildares performance. Good young players coming through and with no pressure on ye now, could surprise a few this year. AI Quarters, semi final, ya never know..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done today boys, ye must be drinking Miracle Grow up there based on the giants ye had on the pitch!!!!
    Ye look a much better outfit under Ryan and Brophy (a Mayo Mammy!!) was immense.
    Good luck with the rest of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hmmm...

Why didn't you pick me up on it at the time rather than after the game? :rolleyes:

Best thing to happen to Kildare is that ego McGeeney is gone. Ryan has alot more going for him and you could see that today in Kildares performance. Good young players coming through and with no pressure on ye now, could surprise a few this year. AI Quarters, semi final, ya never know..
    What a stupid comment. This time last year we were fawning over a win against the All Ireland champions in Croke Park and Mcgeeney was the second coming of Christ according to some neutrals. Kildare fans know all to well not to get our hopes up after years of heartbreak in the Championship.

Ryan is a totally different manger to McGeeney.

It's a good start to the year but there's still a lot to work on. You could drive a double-decker bus through the middle of our defence, sideways.

If we can put a good season in ill be happy no expectations this year i just wanna enjoy watching kildare again.. all the drama geezer had in media was bollix and embarrassing well the seanie drama was anyways...

Hope ryan gets to grip with football basics again rather than bulking players up...

Love the mayo jersey........

yop wrote: »
    Well done today boys, ye must be drinking Miracle Grow up there based on the giants ye had on the pitch!!!!
    Ye look a much better outfit under Ryan and Brophy (a Mayo Mammy!!) was immense.
    Good luck with the rest of the season.

Its the flat pastures in the curragh...

Agree though that was a huge kildare panel at 5 foot 8 i was looking up in air a lot lol

A lot of positives to take from today. If we can sort the centre of our defence out then we will be a difficult proposition for any team.

A lot of positives to take from today. If we can sort the centre of our defence out then we will be a difficult proposition for any team.

So do ya now think that bolton shouldn't be wearing the 6 jersey

So do ya now think that bolton shouldn't be wearing the 6 jersey

I think it's more of a collective thing rather than there being a single solution to who fills the 6 shirt. The goals seemed to come when Kildare coughed up possession very easily as they where breaking out with the ball. A bit more precision and care on the ball and that doesn't happen. You'd hope that the return of Kelly, McGrillen and Doyle will tighten things up a bit.

It must be remembered that it's quite a young and inexperienced Kildare defence. O'Grady, Hyland, Conway and Murnaghan are rookies at this level. Foley and Bolton might be looking over their shoulders now which is no bad thing. If Kildare can find a way to block up that middle channel against the better teams then we definitely won't be beaten as easily as we have been in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I cant understand why Chalkie is not been given a chance in the no. 6 shirt.He was immense in that position at u/21 level when we got to the all Ireland final.With him at center back and Darell Flynn in midfield i think we would be much tighter.

• Advertisement

lanomist wrote: »
    I cant understand why Chalkie is not been given a chance in the no. 6 shirt.He was immense in that position at u/21 level when we got to the all Ireland final.With him at center back and Darell Flynn in midfield i think we would be much tighter.
    White was given numerous chances at centre back for the seniors but he never convinced.

U21 to senior is a huge step up.

Fergal Conway was solid there when he came on yesterday, he's a big strong lad who can play a bit too. He should be given a good chance IMO.

Advertisement