Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

lanomist wrote: »
    I believe the Kerry boys are living and working in Naas and looked to play with Raheens but were not impressed with the setup there. According to a Kerry friend of mine they are average club players but one of them did play with the Kerry minors. Also Cian O Neill was a factor in them going to the Moors. As regards the Moorfield Manager,he does not cost the Club anything as his EXPENSES are sponsored by the proprietor of a well known Moorfield pub. I am reliably told between €15000 to €20,000. Nice money if you can get it.

Any young forward who can get a game for a Kerry underage team is probably a bit better than what Moorefield have in attack. Roli has probably been the best club footballer in Kildare over the last decade but he is not a prolific scorer. Paddy Murray's injury woes stopped him from ever becoming the player he promised to be as a young county player back in 2002-2003. If Moorefield had a Johnny Doyle or even a Tadhg Fennin for the last ten years they would have won an awful lot more than just one Leinster title.

BNMC wrote: »
    KfmSport ‏@KfmSport
    Hearing some tough decisions were made by Jason Ryan & his management team tonight #panel

Anyone know more?

The following is a list of the players now training with the Kildare Senior Football team in preparation for the opening round of the league in 2 weeks time:

Athy:
    Mick Foley, David Hyland, Darroch Mulhall

Ballyteague:
    Seamus Hanafin

Carbury:
    Willie Groome, Eoghan O'Flaherty

Celbridge:
    Paddy Brophy, Fergal Conway, Ollie Lyons, Hugh McGrillen, Mick O’Grady

Clane:
    Robbie Dunne, Tomás O'Connor

Confey:
    James Gately, Hugh Lynch

Eadestown:
    Emmet Bolton

Johnstownbridge:
    Paul Cribbin, Seán Hurley, Cathal McNally

Kilcock:
    Ciarán Fitzpatrick

Leixlip:
    Tommy Moolick

Maynooth:
    Conor Canning, Mark Donnellan

Moorefield:
    Daryl Flynn, Kevin Murnaghan, Adam Tyrrell, David Whyte

Naas:
    Conor Mellett

Nurney:
    Mikey Conway

Sarsfields:
    Seán Campbell, Conor Tiernan, Gary White

St Laurence’s:
    Shane Connolly, Pádraig Fogarty, Paudie O'Neill

Suncroft:
    Fionn Dowling

The following players will be out injured for varying lengths of time, but all are considered to be long term injuries and will be unavailable for at least the early stages of the league and others for longer time periods:

Johnny Byrne (Allenwood), Éamonn Callaghan (Naas), Keith Cribbin (Johnstownbridge), Eoin Doyle (Naas), Brian Flanagan (Johnstownbridge), Niall Kelly (Athy), Peter Kelly (Two Mile House), Alan Smith (Sarsfields).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Has JD been dropped?

iDave wrote: »
    Has JD been dropped?

Ryan told him to take a few months off. His wife had twins there recently. He'll be back for the latter stages of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Bit of a surprise to see Rob Kelly has been dropped. I'd have him over Fionn Dowling any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There is at least 10 names to come off that panel you'd have to feel.

Also is Ray Cahill not on that injured list? Wasn't he meant to be involved this year? I know he was injured.

Red Crow wrote: »

Also is Ray Cahill not on that injured list? Wasn't he meant to be involved this year? I know he was injured.
    I think he's going overseas with the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Red Crow wrote: »

I say ray may wait till next year before he gets his chance.
    there is still 36 in training 8 out injured and JD to come back into it so thats 45 still to pick from at this moment id say there will be another few gone by the start of the league as the bus would be fairly packed heading down to cork..

The two Doyles, the two Kellys and Smith will definitely be back before the end of the league. Flanagan won't be back this year. I wouldn't be sure about Callaghan. That condition he has is supposed to be quite debilitating. Byrne and Keith Cribbin will do well to force their way in. They will probably have to show well for their clubs first.

They will always carry 30+ on the training panel so they can have 15-a-side in-house games even when there are a few lads out injured. I understand that the players not selected for NFL games will be made available to their clubs for the county league which wasn't always the case in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

The Liffey Champion's Team of the Club Championship 2013

1.Mark Donnellan (Maynooth)
    2.Conor Duffy (Sarsfields)
    3.David Hyland (Athy)
    4.Paul Mooney (JTB)
    5.Conor Tiernan (Sarsfields)
    6.Kevin Murnaghan (Moorefield)
    7.Paul Cribbin (JTB
    8.Sean Hurley (JTB)
    9.Tommy Moolick (Leixlip)
    10.Keith Cribbin (JTB)
    11.Ronan Sweeney (Moorefield)
    12.Paddy Brophy (Celbridge)
    13.Chris Healy (TMH)
    14.Niall Vaughan(JTB)
    15.Shane O Rourke (Kilcock)

Admittedly I had not seen many games last year but were Johnstownbridge really that dominant in the Championship? If so could they be a dark horse for the Senior this year? Surprised that Confey didn't get any additions after the progress they made throughout the year.

• Advertisement

The Liffey Champion's Team of the Club Championship 2013

1.Mark Donnellan (Maynooth)
    2.Conor Duffy (Sarsfields)
    3.David Hyland (Athy)
    4.Paul Mooney (JTB)
    5.Conor Tiernan (Sarsfields)
    6.Kevin Murnaghan (Moorefield)
    7.Paul Cribbin (JTB
    8.Sean Hurley (JTB)
    9.Tommy Moolick (Leixlip)
    10.Keith Cribbin (JTB)
    11.Ronan Sweeney (Moorefield)
    12.Paddy Brophy (Celbridge)
    13.Chris Healy (TMH)
    14.Niall Vaughan(JTB)
    15.Shane O Rourke (Kilcock)

Admittedly I had not seen many games last year but were Johnstownbridge really that dominant in the Championship? If so could they be a dark horse for the Senior this year? Surprised that Confey didn't get any additions after the progress they made throughout the year.
    James Gately should definitely be in there, he was immense for Confey all year.

The Liffey Champion is a North Kildare paper so no surprise to see 10 of their team are northies.

Only 4 players from county finalists Sarsfields and Moorefield. Says it all really.

It's all dependent on what games the journalist attends I suppose. Nobody can get to them all. As impressive as JTB were, I wouldn't have that many of them in there. It was only the IFC they won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

5-17 to 2-11, good to see plenty of goals scored again. Meath in the final should be a very good warm up game for the league as they will be near full strength and are in good form.

Great scoring for the time of year:
    Fogarty (4-3), O’Flaherty (0-5, 3fs), Mulhall (0-4, 3fs), McNally (1-0), Brophy (0-1), Hurley (0-1), White (0-1), Cribbin (0-1), Gately (0-1).

UCD had a decent team out and caused the backs all sorts of trouble in the first half. They were a lot tighter in the second half only conceding 4 points. Meath will be another step up. It will be good preparation for Mayo the following Sunday.

The hurlers also had a big win in the Kehoe Cup. 3-26 to 0-6 against Roscommon at Hawkfield.

Fogarty seems to be thriving under Jasosn Ryan. 4-3 is impressive no matter who the opposition.

Meath had a big win today too so it should make for an exciting game next Sunday in Newbridge.

Fogarty seems to be thriving under Jasosn Ryan. 4-3 is impressive no matter who the opposition.

Meath had a big win today too so it should make for an exciting game next Sunday in Newbridge.

The last Kildare player to score a hat trick was Declan Kerrigan in a league match in Athy against Carlow way back in 1990 according to Ger McNally.

The match next weekend will clash with TMH's All Ireland semi final which is a shame.

I wouldn't have much time for that club so it doesn't bother me but I get what you're saying.

This will be our 4th O'Byrne Cup final in a row, the soft ground seem to suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

How come the game is in Newbridge? Would it not be at a neutral venue?

Lemlin wrote: »
    How come the game is in Newbridge? Would it not be at a neutral venue?

Home and Away games have always been the case it the O'Byrne cup which is a good thing.

Hasn't always been a neutral venue, we played a final in Portlaoise in 2011 against UCD. I agree with Frankie though, there would be no atmosphere at a neutral venue.

O'Byrne Cup Roll of Honour:

Kildare: 10
    Meath: 8
    Dublin: 7
    Offaly: 6
    Laois:5
    Louth: 4
    Wicklow: 4
    Westmeath: 3
    Longford: 2

If only we could convert all these O'Byrne Cups into meaningful silverware.

• Advertisement

Hasn't always been a neutral venue, we played a final in Portlaoise in 2011 against UCD.

That match was supposed to be in Newbridge on a Sunday afternoon but it was postponed due to the weather. It had to be played midweek then so it had to be at a floodlight venue.

It has been home and away for as long as I can remember. We were away to Longford in 2003, home to Louth in 2011 and away to Dublin last year.

That match was supposed to be in Newbridge on a Sunday afternoon but it was postponed due to the weather. It had to be played midweek then so it had to be at a floodlight venue.

It has been home and away for as long as I can remember. We were away to Longford in 2003, home to Louth in 2011 and away to Dublin last year.
    Yes, I remember that. If my memory serves me, our Junior team played that night as the Seniors had a league game the following weekend.

A late goal won it for UCD.

Yes, I remember that. If my memory serves me, our Junior team played that night as the Seniors had a league game the following weekend.

A late goal won it for UCD.

That was it. I think it was DCU and McMahon got the late goal to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Home and Away games have always been the case it the O'Byrne cup which is a good thing.

So how is it decided who plays home in the final?

Lemlin wrote: »
    So how is it decided who plays home in the final?
    It goes by the draw. Kildare were technically the away team today as colleges are not allowed to host games.

UCD v Kildare was SF A.
    Meath v DCU was SF B.

Final: A v B

It's just the way the draw works out really.

Gents looking forward to the next chapter in our rivalry on Sunday.
    A question on Newbridge, where would you recommend parking? I think there's a small car park next to the grounds but I'd say that will fill quick enough.

iDave wrote: »
    Gents looking forward to the next chapter in our rivalry on Sunday.
    A question on Newbridge, where would you recommend parking? I think there's a small car park next to the grounds but I'd say that will fill quick enough.

Station Road is where I usually park and is handy for getting in and out of. Whitewater Shopping Centre might be handy enough too as there won't be a massive crowd but it obviously costs money.

The health and safety brigade close the car park in front of the ground when there's a match nowadays and they recently put up bollards on Station Road to stop people parking up on the grass. Whitewater is the best bet for anyone unfamiliar with the town. Take a left after the crossing the bridge on the way into the town and follow the signs. They will refund the cost of your parking ticket if you produce a match programme at the customer service desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

The best place to park is the Church grounds on the way into the town from the Dublin direction, less than five minutes walk to St. Conleths park.Traffic can be heavy enough going into the Whitewater

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help lads.

now enough of the niceties UP MEATH :D

Advertisement