Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I've always thought Chalky was better at midfield myself but it might be a case of needs must for Kildare. Tommy Moolick has some experience of playing in the half back line and could be another option there. I can see Ryan trying out a few players there over the next few matches and seeing how they get on. Once Peter Kelly and Eoin Doyle recover he will have the option of swapping the backs around a bit more. We could see Kelly back at full back with Foley moving out the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Have to say lads that was a fanstic performance against Mayo. As you can see form my previous post before the game I wasn't too confident but maybe I let the blustery O'Byrne cup final in St. Conleth's Park cloud my judgement too much.

It's great to see the enthusiasm back in Kildare football as there was a very ominous feeling when McGeeney left. I think the croud really needed that performance on Sunday. Well done.

BNMC wrote: »
    White was given numerous chances at centre back for the seniors but he never convinced.

U21 to senior is a huge step up.

Fergal Conway was solid there when he came on yesterday, he's a big strong lad who can play a bit too. He should be given a good chance IMO.

He was a solid number 6 but then he had to go Lebanon with the army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Red Crow wrote: »
    He was a solid number 6 but then he had to go Lebanon with the army.
    Last year? He was midfield..

White has never gotten a run of games at CB, he has just never been convincing in that position for the seniors. He has mainly played wing back and midfield.

I'm hearing reports of White eye gouging O'Shea during the black card incident. Hope they're not true as I'm a big fan of his.

BNMC wrote: »
    Last year? He was midfield..

White has never gotten a run of games at CB, he has just never been convincing in that position for the seniors. He has mainly played wing back and midfield.

I'm hearing reports of White eye gouging O'Shea during the black card incident. Hope they're not true as I'm a big fan of his.

Sorry you're right he did play wing back and midfield mostly. He has played at CB but as you say not very convincingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I have been following kildare for many years now and i cant actually remember White actually playing at no. six for the seniors. He certainly never got a run of games there. Mcgeeney played him at wing back, left corner back and full back mostly as a sub. When you think of the amount of players tried there and we still dont seemed to have found a settled player for that position.
    On a lighter note how were tg4 allowed to park their truck in front of the scoreboard last Sunday. From the first three rows of the terrace the score board wasent visible.

From what I've heard Chalky doesn't want to play in the half backs. Now that could be just the usual bull**** that you hear doing the rounds but I would guess it's probably correct. He had never played as a half back before Glenn picked him there for the under 21s. He has always been a midfielder for the Sash, and was always there for Kildare at underage level until 2008. He was midfield with O'Neill for the minor team in the 2004 Leinster Final. Tomas O'Connor was left half back on the same team with Mikey Conway at corner forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I feel mcgeeny dealt chalky a raw deal. He is a class player but wasnt giving the opportunity to mature into a regulator starting 15. Hes a fierce strong lad, I seen some lads getting broke up going for 50/50 balls with him yet he would more than likely get booked for it. A bit of conditioning and chalky will become a star for kildare. He was playing really well last year too before to had to go to the leb. where he plays will be up to management but he will be a big part of it this year.

anyways what the hell was connolly at with 2 mins left on the clock?? the man clearly cant solo a ball yet he taught he was glen ryan maybe we should give him the no 6 jersey.. hes a good soccer keeper so stay in the box !!!!
    If we didnt win that game because of his stupidity we all would be having a different conversation right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Out of interest, what would you actually deem as a successful season this year?

For me, I'd be a very happy if we:

1) Stay in Div 1, giving the inexperienced lads plenty of game time while slowly bringing the 'auld lads back in. A SF or final would be bonus
    2) Leinster - beat Westmeath/Louth in QF, beat Meath in SF and then Dublin in the final. If we could be losing by say 6 points at half time.....and then for this to happen. That would make me a very happy man indeed.
    3) A/I - QF spot anyway irrespective of performance in Leinster.

Christ, i might just go to sleep now so I can relive 2) in my sleep.

see labour TD jack wall looks to be taking over as chairman of club kildare. plenty of brown envelopes lads :pac:http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=208936

• Advertisement

He will be a popular choice. He was involved in setting up the original supporters club nearly twenty five years ago now.

Club Kildare AGM:

Jack Wall - Chairman

Pasty Power - Vice Chairman

Paddy Kelly - Elected to the Committee

Shane Kavanagh - Vice Treasurer

A sad night really. Pat Mangan has done trojan work over the years all in the name of Kildare GAA with very little thanks from our incompetent County Board members.

Thanks Pat!

Kildare team to face Cork 9 Feb 2014:

1. Mark Donnellan (Maynooth)
    2. Mick O’Grady (Celbridge)
    3. Mick Foley (Athy)
    4. Kevin Murnaghan (Moorefield)
    5. Fergal Conway (Celbridge)
    6. Emmet Bolton (Eadestown)
    7. Paul Cribbin (Johnstownbridge)
    8. Tommy Moolick (Leixlip)
    9. Gary White (Sarsfields)
    10. Cathal McNally (Johnstownbridge)
    11. Eoghan O’Flaherty (Carbury)
    12. Seán Hurley (Johnstownbridge)
    13. Paddy Brophy (Celbridge)
    14. Tomás O’Connor (Clane)
    15. Darroch Mulhall (Athy)

Rotation of goalkeepers continues and Fergal Conway replaces his clubmate Lyons with Murnaghan moving to the corner. I'm surprised Hughie McGrillen isn't starting after how good he played when he came on against Mayo. Kevin Murnaghan was very impressive going forward last week but a good wing back doesn't always make a good corner back. Cork will test him out. Conway reminds me of Brian Flanagan. Not a particularly flash footballer but strong on the breaking ball and in the tackle. Taking on a Cork forward line packed with potential in their own back yard is the perfect environment to be trying these lads out. Kelly and Brophy scored our goals down there last year and went on to have strong seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

IMHO I always think that the Cork are bigger stronger better version of kildare. It will be interesting to see how we do against them give that they looked very comfortable last week.

A good few new names coming through for kildare....

Hopefully the game goes ahead given the terrible forecast for tomorrow/Sunday.

Kildare 0-08 cork 0-07 half time

cork should be a goal or up

Kildare 1-12 cork 0-16.
    Best team won on the day.
    But well done to two mile house up kildare

Disappointing day all round with the footballers and hurlers losing.

By all accounts the footballers were lucky to lose by only a point. Our defence is a huge worry.

Kerry, Westmeath and Mayo losing today is a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Well done to Two Mile House the new All Ireland Junior Club Champions. Took all their chances when they came and really saw the deal through in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Delighted for TMH. An All-Ireland club championship is a great achievement and honour. Let ye enjoy it and remember it. Comhghairdeachas

• Advertisement

Didn't make the Cork match today (had to do chauffeur). Can anybody who was there tell us about any positives we can take from it?

Brilliant for Two Mile House. Delighted for all involved. They have come an awful long way in a short space of time. Looking at their minor team last year, they are a club that will be a force to be reckoned with over the next few years.

Mixed bag from Kildare down in Cork today. Kicked some good scores from distance in the first half with Mulhall, McNally and Hurley to the fore. Cork took over after the break and Kildare really had no answer to them. The scoreline flattered us in the end. Too many players well off the pace in the second half. The three remaining home games will decide whether we stay up this year. We have Tyrone, Kerry and Westmeath to come in Newbridge. If we can manage to win two of those we should be alright. Derry and Dublin away will be very difficult fixtures.

grouchyman wrote: »
    Didn't make the Cork match today (had to do chauffeur). Can anybody who was there tell us about any positives we can take from it?

Mulhall and McNally for me were two positives we can take from it. McNally looks a different player this year and Mulhall definitely has the talent to make it at this level.

Defensive concerns remain but I can't see those being solved until we have a full deck to choose from. Things should improve when Ollie Lyons, Eoin Doyle and Peter Kelly are available.

Mulhall and McNally for me were two positives we can take from it. McNally looks a different player this year and Mulhall definitely has the talent to make it at this level.

Defensive concerns remain but I can't see those being solved until we have a full deck to choose from. Things should improve when Ollie Lyons, Eoin Doyle and Peter Kelly are available.
    Thanks Klairon. Heard young Conway limped off. Was it serious? Saw him in Newbridge against Mayo and I was impressed.

grouchyman wrote: »
    Thanks Klairon. Heard young Conway limped off. Was it serious? Saw him in Newbridge against Mayo and I was impressed.

It didn't looks that serious. A few of the lads who were with Maynooth during the week seemed to run out of steam in very difficult second half conditions and I guess that might be part of the reason why they took Conway off. Hurley got through a lot of ball but faded as did Cribbin. Brophy was a marked man after last week and nothing seemed to run for him but he never let his head drop which is a good sign in a young player. Hyland did quite well when he came on. I get the impression they're trying to mind these younger lads and make sure they're not burned out before the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It didn't looks that serious. A few of the lads who were with Maynooth during the week seemed to run out of steam in very difficult second half conditions and I guess that might be part of the reason why they took Conway off. Hurley got through a lot of ball but faded as did Cribbin. Brophy was a marked man after last week and nothing seemed to run for him but he never let his head drop which is a good sign in a young player. Hyland did quite well when he came on. I get the impression they're trying to mind these younger lads and make sure they're not burned out before the summer.

Was going to ask about Conway as well. He could potentially be the answer to the ongoing centre-back issues Kildare have - is he showing any signs of being a Championship player this year?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Was going to ask about Conway as well. He could potentially be the answer to the ongoing centre-back issues Kildare have - is he showing any signs of being a Championship player this year?

He's involved with the u21s and with Maynooth in the Sigerson so I would say his appearances with the seniors will be carefully managed until those campaigns are over. Same story with Hyland who would be starting otherwise. Brophy is also in the same boat but there was no opportunity to give him a rest with Fogarty out injured.

I'm not certain if Conway is Kildare's answer at 6 but he is worth a try until Eoin Doyle and Peter Kelly come back. He reminds me a lot of Brian Flanagan. Not a particularly flash footballer but strong and brave. I always thought he was a better hurler!

Ollie Lyons and Padraig Fogarty are likely to return for the Tyrone match.

Peter Kelly still a few weeks away despite being brought on for the final moments of Two Mile House's All Ireland triumph.

Big test for the hurlers tomorrow against Carlow.

Paul Dermody - Éire Óg Corrachoill
    Patrick Curtin – Celbridge
    John Doran – Leixlip
    Niall Ó Muineacháin – Celbridge (captain)
    John O’Malley – Naas
    Mark Moloney – Celbridge
    Richie Hoban – Ardclough
    Paul Kennedy - Éire Óg Corrachoill
    Éanna O'Neill – Coill Dubh
    Paul Divilly – Confey
    Martin Fitzgerald – Ardclough
    Willie Greene – Moneygall
    Gerry Keegan – Celbridge
    Peadar Downey – Ballyneale
    Mark Delaney – Coill Dubh

• Advertisement

The hurlers were beaten by nine in the end. A missed goal chance which would have left it level going in at half time proved costly. Improvements needed for a tough trip to Kerry up next.

Advertisement