Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Offaly will be the under 21s opponents in the Leinster quarter final tonight fortnight in Athy.

Big win for them down in Wexford tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Why's it in Athy?

BNMC wrote: »
    Why's it in Athy?

I'd guess it's one of the few venues in the county with both floodlights and an adequate capacity.

Fair bit of Kildare interest in the NUIM/UCC semi-final in the Sigerson tomorrow.

Maynooth have five Kildare seniors in their team: Paddy Brophy, Paul Cribbin, David Hyland, Fergal Conway and Mark Donnellan.

David Duke (Kilcock) who is on the u21 panel and Colin O'Shea (Milltown) who was on last year's junior team also started in their quarter final.

Maynooth were beaten by 5 points in the end.

Brophy kicked 2 with Cribbin getting 1.

• Advertisement

Another heavy defeat for the hurlers. Derry's big win in Westmeath does us no favours either in the relegation scrap.

Tyrone on Sunday in Newbridge.

Will be a tough game, we usually struggle against them for some reason. It will be interesting to see what team Jason Ryan puts out. The U21s are in action the following Wednesday so maybe he'll rest those lads.

Win and we put ourselves in a great position for a semi final but losing will probably mean a relegation scrap.

1. Shane Connolly St. Laurences
    2. Mick O’Grady Celbridge
    3. Mick Foley Athy
    4. Hugh McGrillen Celbridge
    5. Kevin Murnaghan Moorefield
    6. Fergal Conway Celbridge
    7. Paul Cribbin Johnstownbridge
    8. Tommy Moolick Leixlip
    9. Gary White Sarsfields
    10. Cathal McNally Johnstownbridge
    11. Eoghan O’Flaherty Carbury
    12. Seán Hurley Johnstownbridge
    13. Paddy Brophy Celbridge
    14. Tomás O’Connor Clane
    15. Darroch Mulhall Athy

Surprised Fogarty hasn't been included. Tyrone's swarm defence has snuffed out O'Connor in the past. Big game for Kildare which will set the tone for the rest of the league campaign but you get the sense we will be really up against it on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Does anyone know if this is being televised

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is being televised

Deferred coverage on TG4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Ah okay thanks

2013 Awards:

Club of the year: Two Mile House

Hurler of the year: Gerry Keegan

Footballer of the year: Paul Cribbin

Awful decision making at the end cost us yet again. Lost our shape completely and there's no better team that Tyrone to take advantage.

Who'd be a Kildare fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Full-Time: Kildare 1-21 Tyrone 3-16
    Incredible finish to the game in Newbridge. Kildare lead by five points in injury time, but Tyrone hit two goals at the very end to snatch a remarkable victory.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Poor loss. Lord have mercy.

Sick as a parrot after that. I can only imagine how the players feel. If we end up getting relegated we only have ourselves to blame.

Here's hoping the u21 team can lift the spirits on Wednesday night in Athy. Fantastic news that Daniel Flynn is back from Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

Feel for ye's lads.....horrible way to get beat. However there's no point in me saying the same old tripe like "if you play like that next week ye will win." Tyrone had many defeats like that over the years and we were patronised with the same old sayings and pat on the back for a good 69 minutes. Kildare were 5 up with 1min to play-the players have to look at themselves and be critical of there own performance in the last minute. They scored 1-21 and still got beat.

Plenty of positives but it's two points thrown away and if they get relegated it will be that 1 minute that will have cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

sickening to be beaten like that. I felt that Tyrone had resigned to be beaten - hmmm...

There are positives though in that in the past 3 games only a point between the teams against strong opposition without some of our best players. Interestingly we also have the highest amount of scores..... both for and against....

Id take relegation if we could just beat dublin next week and league form says we should be close.

kencoo wrote: »
    sickening to be beaten like that. I felt that Tyrone had resigned to be beaten - hmmm...

There are positives though in that in the past 3 games only a point between the teams against strong opposition without some of our best players. Interestingly we also have the highest amount of scores..... both for and against....

Id take relegation if we could just beat dublin next week and league form says we should be close.
    I'd rather Dublin beat us by 35 points and we stay up.

That's an outrageous statement to be honest.

Division 1 football is vital to this inexperienced team's progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

disgraceful refereeing for the goal at the end. Mattie Donnelly took at least 8 steps in the build up.

Horrible way for the game to finish.

• Advertisement

jimd2 wrote: »
    disgraceful refereeing for the goal at the end. Mattie Donnelly took at least 8 steps in the build up.

Horrible way for the game to finish.
    Clutching at straws. Donnelly was being fouled and the ref was playing advantage which he is entitled to do under the new rule.

I'd rather Dublin beat us by 35 points and we stay up.

That's an outrageous statement to be honest.

Division 1 football is vital to this inexperienced team's progression.

Very true-doesn't matter who you beat or how you beat them as long as you don't get relegated.

Clutching at straws. Donnelly was being fouled and the ref was playing advantage which he is entitled to do under the new rule.

Don't think you can blame the ref-no players objected and he was been fouled. Hard to blame anyone but maybe the keeper(who was solid all game) should of done slightly better-even punched it out.

Some harsh lessons to be learned but that's Division 1 football. Silly mistakes and loose play will be punished. That's why it's so important that we do stay up. There is no better place to blood young players.

No point in blaming the ref. Hurley was superb for seventy minutes today but he will be kicking himself over that line ball in injury time.

Some harsh lessons to be learned but that's Division 1 football. Silly mistakes and loose play will be punished. That's why it's so important that we do stay up. There is no better place to blood young players.

No point in blaming the ref. Hurley was superb for seventy minutes today but he will be kicking himself over that line ball in injury time.

Hurley impressed me the most of the Kildare players. I seen him play before but he really impressed me today. Tyrone tried a few different players on him.....he is very skilful for such a big guy. I remember hearing reports of a lack of disaplain.....something about him going to oxygen before a match. Kildare fans will be hoping he kicks on now and puts in more performances like today.

Ahoy Ahoy wrote: »
    Hurley impressed me the most of the Kildare players. I seen him play before but he really impressed me today. Tyrone tried a few different players on him.....he is very skilful for such a big guy. I remember hearing reports of a lack of disaplain.....something about him going to oxygen before a match. Kildare fans will be hoping he kicks on now and puts in more performances like today.

He could be our new Dermot Earley as long as he keeps his head down and works hard at it. He's still quite young so he has a bit of maturing to do yet but the talent is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He could be our new Dermot Earley as long as he keeps his head down and works hard at it. He's still quite young so he has a bit of maturing to do yet but the talent is there.

Reminds me a bit of Martin Lynch so he does. With the younger players showing signs of development and Daniel Flynn returning there is reason to be optimistic about the future of Kildare football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

kencoo wrote: »
    <snip>
    not sure if thats meant sarchastically, but Tyrone and other teams that have a winning mentality never feel bet.
    They know the game isnt over till the final whistle, and conversely they wouldnt be triumphially giving each other high fives like the Kildare players were aparantly doing going into the final stages of the game (according to RTE radio who was reporting on the dying stages)

The only positive is that they should learn from this and not let it happen in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

not sure if thats meant sarchastically, but Tyrone and other teams that have a winning mentality never feel bet.
    They know the game isnt over till the final whistle, and conversely they wouldnt be triumphially giving each other high fives like the Kildare players were aparantly doing going into the final stages of the game (according to RTE radio who was reporting on the dying stages)

The only positive is that they should learn from this and not let it happen in the championship.

Triumphally givng high fives? Really. By any chance would Banty have been a bit colourful with the truth. It looked to me as if the subs were just high fiving after being subbed. Every team does that but Banty makes a big deal of it.

• Advertisement

I certainly didn't see any triumphant high fiving going on. I wouldn't pay any attention to Banty at all.

Advertisement