Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bin collecting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

But do we have to put them out every 2nd week - or is it only outside town?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

loki7777 wrote: »
    But do we have to put them out every 2nd week - or is it only outside town?

Looks to me like they must be put out every 2nd week, no matter where you live, see here. In particular, Question 6, which reads:

Why has the 3rd bin (Food Waste/Bio-degradable Waste) to be collected fortnightly? It may not be full, therefore why can I not wait until it is full?
    This is a requirement under the Waste Management (Food Waste) Regulations 2009 and also the European Union (Household Food Waste & Bio-waste) Regulations 2013. Apart from its requirement in legislation, the rationale behind collection of this waste type on a fortnightly basis is to ensure the waste undergoes the best possible treatment at a composting facility. It is more difficult to compost this waste type if it is left too long before collection. It becomes a rancid product and also increases odour and nuisance issues for the customer.

I signed up today, in Barnas unit in Wine Street car park, went with their option 3.Paid €20 and they wanted another €30 to keep the account in credit.They will 'chip' your existing bin if you dont want to have another one around the house ( if your bin is falling to bits then avail of their new one). Place was packed with people signing up to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I signed up today, in Barnas unit in Wine Street car park, went with their option 3.Paid €20 and they wanted another €30 to keep the account in credit.They will 'chip' your existing bin if you dont want to have another one around the house ( if your bin is falling to bits then avail of their new one). Place was packed with people signing up to them!
    The state of the Irish public. Complain about every new tax and price hike for about two days then go and queue to sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

I think people are perhaps panicking a little if there was a queue to sign up.

The old system is being phased out from this weekend but you can still use them up until the end of March. I'll be getting enough bags this week to last until then and then choose my provider.

Sligo Co Co have said all collectors must offer a pay per weight /lift system but Mcgrath have said they are not so I'm hoping by March they might be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

New to area.....cairns hill/Woodtown lodge.
    What company collects bins in this area?
    Many thanks

TheQ47 wrote: »
    loki, Here's the map for the Sligo Town area. Anywhere inside the shaded area must have the 3 bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Brian.D

What date will the shops stop selling the bags? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

3rd of February. Allow for them running out before that. They won't want to get caught with bags they're not allowed sell and you can be sure Barna won't take the hit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Could you still put food waste in the general waste bin?

I can't figure out how to use the food waste bin hygienically. I don't want to have the bin in the kitchen for 2 weeks. I don't even want food waste in the kitchen for a day. Do I need to use a slop bucket?! Obviously you couldn't use bin liners in a small food waste bin in the kitchen. Would it be handier to get a pig?

How will you lot be doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

They had no Barna bags yesterday evening in centra Collooney, had plenty of mcgraths.

You can get biodegradable bin liners for the brown bin but don't know about cost. Def won't be having the bin in the kitchen for 2 weeks.. It'd be rank esp in the summer!
    Not exactly sure how we'll work it

• Advertisement

Supervalu in Ballisodare had Barna wheelie bin bags this morning,got one to tide me over until the new bins arrive in a couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

How long after sign up will Barna deliver the new bins?

prodsc wrote: »
    How long after sign up will Barna deliver the new bins?

I signed up on Monday and they said the bins will be delivered within 2 to 3 weeks and a prepay card should arrive next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

SF local election hopeful Thomas Healy is holding a meeting tomorrow (Fri 31st Jan) in the Teeling cantre, Collooney about the new bin charges. Apparently representatives from Barna, Greenstar and Sligo Co.Co will be there to answer questions. Could just be another session of hot air and vote grabbing either, might be worth the trip if anyone wants questions answered. Unfortunatly I'm away tomorrow, would be there for sure to get closure on this 'food bin' bulls**t.

rizzodun wrote: »
    SF local election hopeful Thomas Healy is holding a meeting tomorrow (Fri 31st Jan) in the Teeling cantre, Collooney about the new bin charges. Apparently representatives from Barna, Greenstar and Sligo Co.Co will be there to answer questions. Could just be another session of hot air and vote grabbing either, might be worth the trip if anyone wants questions answered. Unfortunatly I'm away tomorrow, would be there for sure to get closure on this 'food bin' bulls**t.

Won't make a difference,he done something similar when the AIB closed in Collooney,just jawing and looking for votes!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Wont make a difference,he done something similar when the AIB closed in Collooney,just jawing and looking for votes!

I agree regarding most councillors but if he gets Barna and Greenstar and Sligo CoCo reps in the same room at least you get to ask them some proper questions, just ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

So...

....How did that go ? Any news ?

I'm guessing nobody (from here at least) went.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

rizzodun wrote: »
    I'm guessing nobody (from here at least) went.

I'd say you are right.Better things to do than listen to a load of spin from the shiny reps of each Org.Enough S""t in the bins without them clogging our heads with more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I know people who produce a lot of waste who reckon that the new price structure will save them money.

However, I produce very little waste. Last year it cost me around €60 to have my waste collected.

If I produce the same amount of waste this year it is going to cost me €140+.

So, those who produce very little waste are being punished, while those producing lots of waste will be rewarded.

That's the opposite of what waste management is supposed to be about.

It's a fúking joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I signed up with McGrath's yesterday. My recycling bin was delivered today. I already have a normal bin from them. They don't have the brown bins yet. It's costing €27 a month, no standing charge, no overweight charge. It's saving me a few euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Hopefully an alternative to Barna and Greenstar takes a chance to move into the Sligo Town area. They could clean up if they undercut the other two. McGrath's aren't currently in the Sligo area.

Does anyone know what happens if you don't actually put out the compost bin every fortnight? I think you can be fined by the council? But realistically I don't know how they'd enforce a fine for the potentially many people who won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

How long is a contract valid?
    3 month or 12 month or lifetime?
    Lets say I will pay 3 month fee to Barna ( 20 euro ) and they deliver bins (green,blue,brown) to my house but later on better deal comes up and I want to change service provider or service package...? New bins? Old bins? Termination fees? Penalty points? What if I do not pay (lets say forget to pay) for next 3 month 20 euro fee - would they force me to pay fee or fine me or what will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

thebuzz wrote: »
    Hopefully an alternative to Barna and Greenstar takes a chance to move into the Sligo Town area. They could clean up if they undercut the other two. McGrath's aren't currently in the Sligo area.

Does anyone know what happens if you don't actually put out the compost bin every fortnight? I think you can be fined by the council? But realistically I don't know how they'd enforce a fine for the potentially many people who won't.

Hopefully an alternative to Barna and Greenstar takes a chance to move into the Sligo Town area.
    Agreed. There should be an alternative in ALL areas but the Council have created monopolies in most area eg Grange residents must use Greenstar yet Donegal Waste Disposal Ltd operate just North of the village. Why cannot they move into the area too?

Dubliners get a choice of refuse collector - why not Sligonians?

Any one know of any shops who still have a few bags left? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Brian.D wrote: »
    Any one know of any shops who still have a few bags left? Cheers

Today is the last day they can be bought, the Texeco at the top of the Pearse Rd had 4 left on Thursday/Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭glaswegian

does anyone know what would happen if you don't register with any waste company.i compost/feed the hens with most of my waste
    (not that there's much of it)and i don't fancy being steamrollered into signing up to a contract i neither want or need through fear of prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Today is the last day they can be bought, the Texeco at the top of the Pearse Rd had 4 left on Thursday/Friday.
    I went in to my local shop to buy a couple today and was told that they'll still be sold for a few weeks yet.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I went in to my local shop to buy a couple today and was told that they'll still be sold for a few weeks yet.
    What shop was it? The ones I went to were sold out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Brian.D wrote: »
    What shop was it? The ones I went to were sold out!
    Out here in West Sligo.

Advertisement