Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Chemist Difference

The only possibility Wawrinka has of winning the Australian open is if Murray reaches the final, he simply won't beat Nadal or Federer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,123 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The only possibility Wawrinka has of winning the Australian open is if Murray reaches the final, he simply won't beat Nadal or Federer.

I think he has a very good chance at Federer. Very slim with Nadal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

His record v Murray is good but I really can't see Murray losing his 4th Aussie Open final if he makes it to someone who has never even made a slam final before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

the_monkey wrote: »
    ****e tournament now .... rubbish , Nadal winning another slam .

disgusting.

just disgusting.

maybe in 3 years tennis will be good again.

What's with all the negativity ? I can't understand how a proper tennis fan would look at such an amazing match like that. Surely you want some diversity in the semi-final and final line-ups rather than the Top 4 seeds getting there every single time ? Yes, Nadal's the favourite to win but he's beatable and Murray certainly won't roll over if his back holds up and he plays well.

Absolutely delighted for Stan, what a brilliant match - one of my favourite players and his matches are always exciting. I said it after his R1 match but Berdych has impressed me a lot over the last week and could test Stan but I hope this is his true breakthrough year. His record against Rafa is scarily bad though.
    The appointment of Magnus Norman has been a masterstroke in terms of his overall game.

Agree with others that he has no chance of beating Rafa if that's the final. I'd love to see a Murray- Stan final.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I think that's a very stupid thing to say. It definitely opens up the other half of the draw and gives either Berdych or Stan a real chance. Nadal and Murray/Federer isn't going to be a one-sided affair and it will be very close run, and I'm sure the winner of that match will be exhausted after. Stan has already showed he can beat the best in the world as has Berdych so a tired Nadal/Murray/Federer will be there for the taking!

I'm not sure Stan has even taken a set off Rafa before, 1 at most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'd actually make him favourite against Roger. It's a fact that Fed is declining as a player. He lost 17 matches last year which is the most he's lost since he was in his early twenties. He lost to Stakhovsky and Robredo at Grand Slams in 13 and won just a single tournament all year (Halle where the toughest guy he had to beat was Youzhny).

Wawrinka against Roger in his prime wouldn't stand a chance but playing this version of Roger gives him every chance. Anyway can't see Fed beating Murray so it's all academic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just watched a bit of Genie's presser there. I like her a lot. She's got a good head on her shoulders and comes across as very grounded and professional. Compared to the other girls around that age she comes across much more mature.
    She says every time she achieves something she expects it. It doesn't come across as cocky though, just as determined and like she said she's been playing tennis since she was 5, these are the types of matches and events she's been working towards so she's not nervous when she gets there because she feels like she belongs.

Compare that to the likes of Sloane Stephens. Gets a bit of a flukey run last year and starts acting like she's a super star, but forgets to back it up with any good tennis.

I'm not sure how she'll do against Li Na, depends on which Li Na shows up, but either way a SF one year after losing in R2 of qualifiers is a pretty good step up. I hope she can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,178 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Contrast the classlessness of Serena...http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25801095

with the classiness of Novak...http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25827470

a great champion, and a wonderful representative for his sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Kind of strange the way Djokovic appointed Becker in the 1st place,
    nothing was broken - 2013 might have been dissapointing for him , but he ended it quite well and was a class above Nadal in those last 2 meetings - especially in the WTF final in London.

Surely it can't be cos Lendll helped Murray, therefore another ex no.1 GS champ will help Novak ??

He has been in decline since 2012 now , he has only won 2 GS in the last 2 years, I think his explosive 2011 could damage him mentally, it was too much too quickly, could be very hard to get mentally strong again now, cos it will be in his head that his level/performance - end result - Winning Slams - is far lower then 3 years ago.

I'll make a daring prediction and say Australian open 2013 could be his last Slam.

He'll be up there, he'll win plenty more masters, but I think something has clicked in his head with slams - you saw him meekly surrender to Nadal in NYC last September ? - baffling really, at one point he was in a strong position to go ahead, same with the semi final last year in RG ... thats got to be in his head - maybe this is what Becker is for, but doubt it.

Pighead wrote: »
    I'd actually make him favourite against Roger. It's a fact that Fed is declining as a player. He lost 17 matches last year which is the most he's lost since he was in his early twenties. He lost to Stakhovsky and Robredo at Grand Slams in 13 and won just a single tournament all year (Halle where the toughest guy he had to beat was Youzhny).

Wawrinka against Roger in his prime wouldn't stand a chance but playing this version of Roger gives him every chance. Anyway can't see Fed beating Murray so it's all academic.

Federer of 2014 is much better than 2013 imo. Did you see his performance against Tsonga, he can beat Nadal with that level. He seems to be adjusting to his new 98 sq inch racquet. Tsonga couldn't over power him like he has been the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,178 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yup, don't write off Federer.

the only issue he has is Nadal really. i'd be confident he can beat anyone else in the draw. even Wawrinka. i don't know if he can withstand the physicality for Nadal for that long at this stage of his career, no matter how much his adjustments have improved his game.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

SlickRic wrote: »
    Contrast the classlessness of Serena...http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25801095

with the classiness of Novak...http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25827470

a great champion, and a wonderful representative for his sport.

I see nothing wrong with this. She said that she can play "ten times better", which is the truth. She has previously congratulated Ana and praised her performance, she said in her press conference after the loss that the match was "all about Ana". What else do you expect? Your post seems like an excuse to have a dig at Serena tbh.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Kind of strange the way Djokovic appointed Becker in the 1st place,
    nothing was broken - 2013 might have been dissapointing for him , but he ended it quite well and was a class above Nadal in those last 2 meetings - especially in the WTF final in London.

Surely it can't be cos Lendll helped Murray, therefore another ex no.1 GS champ will help Novak ??

Yeah, what does Becker actually bring to the Djokovic camp ? With Lendl, it was mainly to improve the mental side of Murray's game and to show him how to close out a final and win a Slam. Djokovic is mentally sound (for the most part) and I can't see any areas of his game which need drastic improvements. Certainly not the start they were hoping for and I can't see it being a successful partnership TBH...

The only thing I can think of that Becker might be able to teach anyone is how to serve and volley properly. I don't know that that is something someone would look to add to their game really, especially when there's only 1 or 2 players that you might struggle against.
    It could explain why he tried to serve and volley on the last 2 points of this match though?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I'm another person that never got the whole adding Becker to the Djokovic team, it just seemed odd to me. From what I can see, Novak's game is virtually complete, technically he is excellent, physically excellent and mentally more or less excellent with the occasional blip. Imo, the final step to winning more slams needs to come from Novak himself and not from someone else.

And as others have said, it's a very very bad start to the partnership, I will be interested to see what happens from here! It will also be interesting to see Djokvics mentality going into the clay season, he has been brought down to earth with rather a large bang, I wonder if it will make him more motivated to win Rolland Garros or will it really damage his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Federer of 2014 is much better than 2013 imo. Did you see his performance against Tsonga, he can beat Nadal with that level. He seems to be adjusting to his new 98 sq inch racquet. Tsonga couldn't over power him like he has been the last couple of years.
    Fed of 2014 is much better than Fed of 2013? The year is only 20 days old! You seem to be basing your assesment on one match. Fed has been declining slightly each year for a while now. It would be very unusual given his age if he were to suddenly improve again.

Fed of 2014 is much better than Fed of 2013? The year is only 20 days old! You seem to be basing your assesment on one match. Fed has been declining slightly each year for a while now. It would be very unusual given his age if he were to suddenly improve again.

That match was against an absolutely woeful Tsonga too!

From what I've seen so far there is a marked improvement. He said himself he is more prepared now and I heard he put a big effort in the off season to improve his fitness. Then he finally decided to make the change to the bigger racquet. It even looks like his net play has improved, Edberg already making his mark there.

I reckon he'll beat Murray tomorrow.

From what I've seen so far there is a marked improvement. He said himself he is more prepared now and I heard he put a big effort in the off season to improve his fitness. Then he finally decided to make the change to the bigger racquet. It even looks like his net play has improved, Edberg already making his mark there.

I reckon he'll beat Murray tomorrow.

Riiiight he must be so :rolleyes: As opposed to saying he did absolutely f all and spent the winter on the couch?

He lost to Hewitt in 2014 too, so it's not as if he has completely set the world alight

If he beats Murray it's down to Murray's (lack of) fitness IMO, a fully fit Murray is much too good for Federer nowadays

Federer may aswell have been serving to an under 16 WTA player the last day such was the pitiful attempts at returning Tsonga was trying to muster

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

gpat14 wrote: »
    That match was against an absolutely woeful Tsonga too!

Also, let's not forget he lost to Hewitt a couple of weeks back

edit: Beaten to it in post above mine.

• Advertisement

Also, let's not forget he lost to Hewitt a couple of weeks back

Indeed, and that came after he had apparently returned to top form aswell! He just has no consistency nowadays- understandably given his age and the mileage on the clock

Before he played Robredo at USO too he had shown some great signs, while at Wimbledon too he demolished his opponent in round 1. The very same could easily happen tomorrow, I honestly cannot get over how carried away people are getting with one match

I wouldn't have Fed as a favourite v anyone else left in the comp, bar Dimitrov maybe

Tsonga is not long back from injury himself. He missed a similar period that Sharapova missed. Not that that's an excuse as such but should be kept in mind when looking at a loss to a top player like Federer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

gpat14 wrote: »
    If he beats Murray it's down to Murray's (lack of) fitness IMO, a fully fit Murray is much too good for Federer nowadays

Silly thing to say, if Murray can't stay fit that's his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

^ In fairness thats a silly thing to say. Nobody chooses to get injured, he's just back from surgery and hasn't had a lot of match practice so nobody is expecting him to be competing at 100%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The point is that Fed has avoided injury better than anyone. Playing 57 consecutive slams is amazing, the others have had to push themselves close to the physical edge for their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Fed pretty much claimed that his back was injured almost all of last season, on and off. He now says that's fine. So that could be a factor. And then we're not quite sure exactly where Murray is. He's coming off back surgery himself and his draw was quite easy. He hasn't had much of a challenge so far.

I think the match will depend on two things.
    Murray's second serve: It's always been a weakness and he hits it slower than a lot of players. How aggressive will Federer be on it? I expect him to be ultra aggressive and if he sees a lot of them I expect him to pick up a few breaks.

Federer's first serve: How many of them will he get in? Time and again, his first serve has deserted him when he's under pressure. If it goes missing tomorrow he'll struggle to hold every single service game. He's got to hit at least 70% imo.

As usual, a lot depends on Federer. If they both play poorly, Murray wins. If they both play average, Murray wins. But if Fed plays great, he wins - won't matter as much what Murray does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Sheesh. Federer would have to win all 4 grand slams this year for some people to say something good.

I expect Murray to win, but if Federer properly shows up it isn't going to be the cake walk everyone expects.

Halep not with it at all. Domi kicking her a$$

Aza in 3 for me.

• Advertisement

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Aza in 3 for me.

Think I might take that back. BRILLIANT from Radwanska

Advertisement