Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The match isn't even over, quit the antics!

Stans level has sunk to an extremely poor level. Novak should take this set and stroll to the 5th unless Stan finds anything.

There you go. Stan will most unlikely be able to put up resistance to Novak now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Five setter.
    Usual story. A player like Stan comes out swinging and gets a lead. Once in the lead he starts thinking that he better not lose it and starts playing conservative and invites Djokovic back in. Doesn't continue playing the way that got him a lead.

Djoko in full backboard mode and he has the break.
    Maybe Stan will go back to ultra aggression now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stan serving to go 5-4 up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Down to the wire this one, Come on Stan hold the nerve. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Easiest service game in a while for Novak. Not feeling the pressure.

Rain?

What a time to have to stop!

Get the mops out. :)

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Get the mops out. :)

The ball kids are drying the court with Tomas Berdych's shirt :D

Fair play to Stan to come out after that delay and server an ace. :)

Unbelievable :D

Nadal's title to lose now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

****e tournament now .... rubbish , Nadal winning another slam .

disgusting.

just disgusting.

maybe in 3 years tennis will be good again.

Allez Stanley!

At least now there'll be someone I like in the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wasn't expectng that :) so much for Boris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

Unless Murray rediscovers form, they can hand trophy to Rafa now

Still nice to see an upset though. Djok was way off colour for most of the match but he still has to be beaten. Berdych will be a happy(er) man too

Stan always had the game to beat Djoker. Fair play to him for finally making the breakthrough. Norman is proving to be some coach.

Such an epic flop from Djokovic on those last 2 points though. He was hanging in so well for that entire last set and then just hits two of the worst shots I've ever seen him play. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

gpat14 wrote: »
    Unless Murray rediscovers form, they can hand trophy to Rafa now

Still nice to see an upset though. Djok was way off colour for most of the match but he still has to be beaten. Berdych will be a happy(er) man too

I wouldnt rule out Federer yet,he could beat Nadal if he can get past Murray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

I wouldnt rule out Federer yet,he could beat Nadal if he can get past Murray.

Seriously doubt it, he hasn't beaten him in about 15 years :p

I would be really surprised if Federer beat Nadal. I would much rather see Murray meet him. That could be tasty. Neutral surface.

Lads .... stop even debating this, Nadal has it won ... pure and simple ..

the_monkey wrote: »

Okay, I'll just close the thread then.

You may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

SO happy for Stan!! I would kill to see him win it and personally I think he has a really good chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

the_monkey wrote: »
    I think that's a very stupid thing to say. It definitely opens up the other half of the draw and gives either Berdych or Stan a real chance. Nadal and Murray/Federer isn't going to be a one-sided affair and it will be very close run, and I'm sure the winner of that match will be exhausted after. Stan has already showed he can beat the best in the world as has Berdych so a tired Nadal/Murray/Federer will be there for the taking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

great win for stan, this could his breakthrough year, who knows

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I think that's a very stupid thing to say. It definitely opens up the other half of the draw and gives either Berdych or Stan a real chance. Nadal and Murray/Federer isn't going to be a one-sided affair and it will be very close run, and I'm sure the winner of that match will be exhausted after. Stan has already showed he can beat the best in the world as has Berdych so a tired Nadal/Murray/Federer will be there for the taking!

To be honest, it's all about matchups. He's been knocking on the door of beating Djokovic for some time now. Taken sets off him, ran him close, and not forgetting actually beating him early on in their careers. But he's never beaten Nadal. He's never looked close to beating him. He's never even taken a set off him. There's just no way he's beating Nadal in the final if they get there. He just doesn't have the game for it.
    Berdych would be very marginally more likely to beat Nadal as Nadal is more vulnerable to big hitters like him. But it's been a long time since Berdych troubled him too much.

I think it's quite realistic to surmise that Murray is the only real candidate left in the draw who could conceivably beat Nadal and a lot depends on his fitness after the surgery.

Advertisement