Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ana needs to start doing better, Serena isn't on at all today.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I know Serena was off big time, but you must hand it to Ana, she played superbly. Quite simply, this is her biggest win since beating Safina at RG '08. What with the mental aspect of her game lacking the most, who knows what kind of an effect this could have on her career. What a time for her to notch her first win over Serena!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I know Serena was off big time, but you must hand it to Ana, she played superbly. Quite simply, this is her biggest win since beating Safina at RG '08. What with the mental aspect of her game lacking the most, who knows what kind of an effect this could have on her career. What a time for her to notch her first win over Serena!

Yep superb performance, on the other side, Fognini decided he could be arsed in a last 16 match against Novak Djokovic. The best and worst of tennis their. :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How come Serena is never injured when she has to play Maria :(

Good win for Ivanovic though and it makes that QF much more interesting now. Genie beat Ana at Wimbledon last year. She should have made the QF here anyway but she can't have been thinking beyond that when it was supposed to be Serena she faced. Great opportunity for her to make her first SF, all the pressure will surely be on Ana.

Serena being out should remove the possibility of a one sided final now too.

How come Serena is never injured when she has to play Maria :(

Good win for Ivanovic though and it makes that QF much more interesting now. Genie beat Ana at Wimbledon last year. She should have made the QF here anyway but she can't have been thinking beyond that when it was supposed to be Serena she faced. Great opportunity for her to make her first SF, all the pressure will surely be on Ana.

Serena being out should remove the possibility of a one sided final now too.

It could be a really fun final week, all the girls bar Pennetta have a chance or at least should think they have at winning it. :)

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    It could be a really fun final week, all the girls bar Pennetta have a chance or at least should think they have at winning it. :)

The women's, once again, is far more interesting than the men's. As you say pretty much any one of them has some shot at winning it, but with the men's all the rounds are almost irrelevant until the SF.

The women's, once again, is far more interesting than the men's. As you say pretty much any one of them has some shot at winning it, but with the men's all the rounds are almost irrelevant until the SF.

Agreed. I know its a golden era for tennis with so many legends playing but it makes for boring tennis for so many games.

Just checked Nishikoris head to head v Nadal.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N552&oId=N409

Another cracking match to look forward to.:(

Fingers crossed Dimi v The Animal Batista and Federer v Tsonga are good to make up for it:o

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Totally agree. I love when Serena gets knocked out early, nothing against her personally but it leaves the entire field wide open and anyone could win it. Can't wait for the women's matches next week :)

Id really like to see Dimitrov get through though, I hope I this year is the one he really breaks through.

To be fair though I don't think it's completely wide open. Azarenka or Sharapova tend to be the ones to mop up when Serena gets knocked out early and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final again but.... at least there is the possibility of something exciting happening and it's not quite as much of a foregone conclusion as it is when Serena is there in week 2.

I feel exactly the same, although I'm pretty sure if I said that to a fellow tennis fan (outside of a forum) I'd be scoffed at. I remember once telling someone that Serena was my favourite player, and the response was "Really?!"

Really excited for tonight! Sharapova should have an extremely tough time against Cibulkova, although Dominika could just as easily flop. Sloane-Azarenka should be good too, if Sloane can find her game there's potential for an upset there. And of course Jo and Fed should be excellent as well.

• Advertisement

Um small chance that Cibby could blow a 5-0 lead in the second set against Maria.

Um small chance that Cibby could blow a 5-0 lead in the second set against Maria.

Never in doubt!

Love watching Cibulkova so much fun and oh so sexy:D

Good match, tune in nightowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thankfully Cibulkova banished the banshee !

Sharapova is a completely one dimensional player and she has a serious issue with nerves, seems to make alot of double faults in big games.
    Glad she is gone,my ears can rest now.

Thankfully Cibulkova banished the banshee !

Sharapova is a completely one dimensional player and she has a serious issue with nerves, seems to make alot of double faults in big games.
    Glad she is gone,my ears can rest now.

She has been gutsy recently its her lack of plan b which has hurt her and of course running into Serena!

Cibulkova was awesome in the 2nd and 3rd set, but yeah she benefitted from Maria getting quite messy.

Topsy turvy game between Jankovic and Halep, 3rd set, impossible to call.

Azarenka a break up against Sloan but a good match so far.

Azarenka though really is an unlikable cow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hoping Roger makes it through to meet Andy. Two sets up at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Pretty decent match from Federer. Unfortunately, the serve went walkabouts as soon as the slightest pressure was put on it which doesn't bode well for him against Murray and Nadal. But still, good signs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Chemist Difference

The new racquet seems to be giving Fed the power he needs to compete against the big hitters. He should have changed that antiquated raquet years ago.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the serve went walkabouts as soon as the slightest pressure was put on it which doesn't bode well for him against Murray and Nadal.

Yes that's the worrying aspect .
    Its all in his mind I'm afraid .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,140 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

she just comes across as so utterly classless.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25801095

It was nice to see Nadal being reprimanded for slow play and coaching last night,he is repeatedly violating the 20 second rule.
    He was incensed to be warned for coaching by his uncle and mentor, Toni, in the first set and he was equally angered by time violations in the second and third sets.

His left hand looks in bad shape ,alot of nasty looking blisters.

• Advertisement

It was nice to see Nadal being reprimanded for slow play and coaching last night,he is repeatedly violating the 20 second rule.
    He was incensed to be warned for coaching by his uncle and mentor, Toni, in the first set and he was equally angered by time violations in the second and third sets.

Incensed to be once again let off with no tangible consequences whatsoever. I presume they did absolutely nothing more than just warning him? No points deductions I take it? Despite his deliberate slowing of play whenever he has a breakpoint against him?

Mousewar wrote: »
    Incensed to be once again let off with no tangible consequences whatsoever. I presume they did absolutely nothing more than just warning him? No points deductions I take it? Despite his deliberate slowing of play whenever he has a breakpoint against him?

He got a warning for coaching, and then a time violation. Eva Asderacki knows her job and if he'd warranted a point deduction he'd have gotten it. As someone pointed out though it was well into the 3rd set before the time warnings came. He pushes the limits from the very start, he should get the warnings from the very start.

He got a warning for coaching, and then a time violation. Eva Asderacki knows her job and if he'd warranted a point deduction he'd have gotten it. As someone pointed out though it was well into the 3rd set before the time warnings came. He pushes the limits from the very start, he should get the warnings from the very start.

I didn't watch that match (why would I inflict that on myself) but if it was like every other match he's ever played then he definitely warranted it. All the umpires will ever do is give him a warning or a meaningless 'violation' so it looks like they're doing something when in fact they're all terrified of him and happy for him to ignore the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Watching the highlights from last years Novak vs. Stan in anticipation of tomorrows QF. It got some criticism on here for being boring at times, but in the 22 minutes of highlights it had points from pretty much every game. I thought it was spectacular back then and those highlights reaffirm it for me. One of the greatest matches of all time in my opinion.

Stans game, when it clicks, is easily the game of a top three player. Hopefully he can bring it tomorrow morning. That backhand is absolutely stunning.

Glad Berdych beat Ferrer. I think Delpo will move up in the rankings now too. Not 100% sure on that.

DavidFerrerPushesLinesmanAussie14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

Djokovic having an absolute mare here, surely Wawrinka 3rd time lucky?

Smart money still on the Serb though

Glad Berdych beat Ferrer. I think Delpo will move up in the rankings now too. Not 100% sure on that.

DavidFerrerPushesLinesmanAussie14.gif
    Yeah he's up to 3rd at the moment but could change depending on how those left get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Djokovic OUT

Well done Stan, but he's handing it to Nadal here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

the_monkey wrote: »
    Djokovic OUT

Well done Stan, but he's handing it to Nadal here ...

May aswell have trophy presentation on court tonight to the Spaniard if Stan wins here

That's unless Murray suddenly finds his best form I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

gpat14 wrote: »
    May aswell have trophy presentation on court tonight to the Spaniard if Stan wins here

That's unless Murray suddenly finds his best form I guess

I won't bother watching from now .... I'll glance at the paper next week to see the Federer Murray QF result , but it will be a glance at a discarded
    paper in a bin maybe ... as I throw my chips away.

Advertisement