Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I saw a few players tweeting during the Sharapova/Knapp match about how ridiculous it was that they still had to play. People aren't happy. Sharapova got a time violation in the middle of it too, how ridiculous is that?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This heat thing is ridiculous. They know in advance it's going to be hitting 40, they should just have the roof closed on all the stadiums from the start of the day.
    I know some people might still have to play on the outside courts but it's crazy that Sharapova and Knapp had to keep going in that heat for as long as they did.

The scheduling there is madness and has been for a number of years .
    They start matches at 11am or noon ,the hottest part of the day .
    Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in that.

They shouldnt be starting play until at least 2pm ,that gives then 6-7 hours of daylight .

Its been mentioned a number of times but the tournament should be moved to March for numerous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

About the Sharapova incident, are you kidding me?! That's ridiculous!! The problem with March is that you then have Australia, Paris and Wimbledon all within a very short space of time... But this right now is insane.

The scheduling there is madness and has been for a number of years .
    They start matches at 11am or noon ,the hottest part of the day .
    Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in that.

They shouldnt be starting play until at least 2pm ,that gives then 6-7 hours of daylight .

Its been mentioned a number of times but the tournament should be moved to March for numerous reasons.

Actually, it's been pointed out a few times this week that temperatures get to their highest around 4pm in Melbourne at this time of year. I think the way to do it would be to start even earlier then have a break in the middle of the day. They have a day and night session anyway, don't they? So it would just mean the night session starts a bit earlier and there's more matches during it. I suppose this doesn't suit the TV people though.

The past few years it's been getting hotter and hotter. This year is obviously the worst but I'm sure last year they had the heat rule in effect a few times during the women's matches. So it's not the first time it's been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

The AO medic seems to think they're all a bunch of wusses.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25755065

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mousewar wrote: »
    The AO medic seems to think they're all a bunch of wusses.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25755065

I think the heat has gone to his head .
    We know that man is well adapted to exercising in the heat.
    We evolved on the high plains of Africa chasing antelope for eight hours under these conditions,he said.

The guy sounds like an imbecile.

Not impressed with Delpo at all in this match. He's taken very long breaks several times, just arrived back from a nearly 10 min toilet break in which he took a shower (?!) and after 2 points sits down to re-tie his shoes! And not one apology to his opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Not impressed with Delpo at all in this match. He's taken very long breaks several times, just arrived back from a nearly 10 min toilet break in which he took a shower (?!) and after 2 points sits down to re-tie his shoes! And not one apology to his opponent.
    Otherwise known as the Nadal approach. Another one of his legacies in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,759 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have the officials not reprimanded him? I wonder is what he is doing allowed?

Delpo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

And now he's gone. I'm a huge Delpo fan, but not a fan of those tactics, not too sorry to see him gone.

Delpo going out early is also an example of why top players should not play a tournament the week before a slam. Nobody who's genuinely trying to win a slam plays a tournament the week before, imo.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I saw a few players tweeting during the Sharapova/Knapp match about how ridiculous it was that they still had to play. People aren't happy. Sharapova got a time violation in the middle of it too, how ridiculous is that?!?!
    About the Sharapova incident, are you kidding me?! That's ridiculous!! The problem with March is that you then have Australia, Paris and Wimbledon all within a very short space of time... But this right now is insane.

Even worse was the fact that Knapp actually took far longer to serve throughout than Sharapova did, she abandoned her serve numerous times throughout the match.

Kyrgios barely able to walk at this point. Making a real effort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Delpo :(

Jaysus if this guy could get some consistancy into his game he would be a big threat to Nadal and Djokovic.

^ His slam results other than Wimbledon have been appalling recently. For someone who says his goal is to break the top three, he is terribly inconsistent and doesnt seem to be improving in that department at all.

Also the commentatora on eurosport, i think it was Mats Wilander that said it; said that he isnt very popular in the locker room and there are bad rumours floating about concerning him. I dont know how true that is but I cant see why Mats would make it up. I found it odd though because in interviews he comes across as such a nice person!

I am almost glad he didnt win today, imo he didnt deserve to after all those stunts he pulled. Almost though.. still annoyed he is out!

Also the commentatora on eurosport, i think it was Mats Wilander that said it; said that he isnt very popular in the locker room and there are bad rumours floating about concerning him. I dont know how true that is but I cant see why Mats would make it up. I found it odd though because in interviews he comes across as such a nice person!

Unless something has happened very recently I think Mats is talking out of his arse, again. He comes out with some awful rubbish on his show. The only time I enjoyed him was two years ago when he fell in the shower in Australia and was clearly high as a kite on painkillers when commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think the heat has gone to his head .

The guy sounds like an imbecile.

Clearly is.

The organisers need to remember as well that apart from endangering a lot of people's health, it is near imposible to produce good tenni matches in such oppressive weather. Sharapova v Knapp was awful but you can't get annoyed with the girls in such conditions.

Also a little late, but wow Gulbis what a waster. Couldn't give a **** against Querry.

Is their a bigger bottler in ladies tennis than Lucy Safarova?

Li was poor tonight but Lucy as usual failed. Horrible type of tennis match to watch because you know she can't get the job done when it matters.

Bouchard played very well though, so props to her.

And also well done Mona Barthel 45 unforced errors, DAT potential.

^ I feel bad for Lucie, having had a match point and then serving for it. Tough, but this does at least save that quarter from title irrelevancy. And I've officially given up on Mona Barthel. If she's not willing to professionalise her approach to the game then she will make no progress. Brainless ball bashing in the extreme.

Hopefully we'll get to see a Serena-Bouchard QF. You never know, Genie might 'do a Sloane'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Commentator on Eurosport driving me mad in the Federer match. Acting like he's never seen him play, I'm fairly sure coming to the net isn't a new concept to him. In fact I've seen him do it far more times in a set and a half than today.

Also, Monfils vs. Nadal could be great and very interesting. Monfils can take him to 5 if he shows up.

• Advertisement

I'm generally very happy with the commentary on Eurosport, but you can get the occasional odd comment. They mentioned a couple of nights ago that Azarenka "isn't very comfortable coming to the net", the woman is a multiple grand slam champion in mixed doubles!

Ugh lord just retire Pavlyuchenko I had a bet on you at 4/1 pre match I want my money back!:mad:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Ugh lord just retire Pavlyuchenko I had a bet on you at 4/1 pre match I want my money back!:mad:

She played until the death! Boo. Good game to be fair, lots of talent in Pavly to be excited.

Sharapova was patchy not sure she can play like that against Cibulkova who has been immense this week. Halep also played quite well, her opponent stepped it up towards the end so we got a good contest. Fancy her to beat Jelena next round. Really tricky quarter to call though.

Anyways MEN:mad:

Dimitrov was very good, pleased to see him through good fun to watch. Raonic is still to crude to properly break through sadly.

Slow start for Murray but on the verge of a 2-0 lead, played better as it went on.

Well done Muguruza played quite well, should be fun against Aggy next round.

Caroline go away and watch Rory.:mad:

Ha! Bet the crowd feel bad for booing him now.

Great stuff from Flavia. Who's have predicted this kind of a career renaissance after coming back from injury.

Feels like a long time now since we last saw Kerber in the business end of a slam.

Hope Ana can give Serena a match!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ivanovic throwing away break points in the very first game after a slow start from Serena. Could be a rout. Needed the break imo.

Ana playing well! And up a break!! How long before it all goes wrong :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Loved that Kerber- Pennetta match. Haven't seen Pennetta play in ages- really gutsy play from both of them. Such a high quality match.

Nice to see Ivanovic back to playing some of the tennis she's capable of after her downward spiral following her No.1 status.

Advertisement