Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Swingswong

It is good to see Federer playing well again and back in the SF of a slam but let's just calm down a bit. Tsonga and Murray are both just back from long term lay offs, which should be kept in mind. Also, even at his best Federer has struggled against Nadal and apart from the frequency of their meetings I wouldn't call it a rivalry.

I would love for Federer to beat Nadal, I really would, but I don't think anything in this tournament so far points to it being anything more than a slight possibility.

Federer's game has changed so much after the off season, it's going to be interesting to see how Nadal reacts. I expect Federer to win in four sets, the conditions are faster this year, Federer is in top form with a healthy back and playing with an improved style and better at the net. Nadal on the other hand is struggling, his tactic of hitting Federer's backhand won't be enough, the courts are too fast and Federer's backhand now is too good. It won't be enough.

Of course that's all speculation, we'll see what actually happens, but I was correct in predicting that Federer would beat Murray and I think I'll be proved correct again with Nadal. People underestimate the benefit of playing with the bigger racquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

So Nadal stays first whatever happens and Djokovic second.
    Right now Delpo is 3rd and he'll stay there if nadal wins the AO.
    If anyone else wins it, he drops to 4th with the winner taking his spot.
    The exact same applies to Ferrer in 4th. He'll stay there if Nadal wins, otherwise, he's dropping to 5th.
    Murray will drop to 6th whatever happens and will go to 7th if Federer beats Nadal.
    Berdych, Wawrinka, Federer all have a chance of going 3rd if they win the AO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

It is good to see Federer playing well again and back in the SF of a slam but let's just calm down a bit. Tsonga and Murray are both just back from long term lay offs, which should be kept in mind. Also, even at his best Federer has struggled against Nadal and apart from the frequency of their meetings I wouldn't call it a rivalry.

I would love for Federer to beat Nadal, I really would, but I don't think anything in this tournament so far points to it being anything more than a slight possibility.

I don't think people are getting too optimistic or expect Federer go on and win another GS but it's just nice to see him diversifying and finding ways of challenging the Top 3 again. He has brought in Edberg who seems to have had a positive effect and I think people would like one more year of majestic tennis from him in which he plays excellent tennis and mounts a serious challenge for the Slams before the inevitable slide down the rankings/ retirement.

I too would love to see Federer in the final but it's definitely unlikely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

smurfs5 wrote: »
    I don't think people are getting too optimistic or expect Federer go on and win another GS but it's just nice to see him diversifying and finding ways of challenging the Top 3 again. He has brought in Edberg who seems to have had a positive effect and I think people would like one more year of majestic tennis from him in which he plays excellent tennis and mounts a serious challenge for the Slams before the inevitable slide down the rankings/ retirement.

I too would love to see Federer in the final but it's definitely unlikely.

I agree it's good to see him playing well, I just don't think his matches so far at this tournament are great indicators of where he's at. He definitely looks to be moving better than last year but, as I said, his two biggest opponents so far have maybe not been at their 100% best. This match against Nadal will definitely be a proper test of where he's at... assuming Rafa doesn't get blisters on his blisters ;)

I agree it's good to see him playing well, I just don't think his matches so far at this tournament are great indicators of where he's at. He definitely looks to be moving better than last year but, as I said, his two biggest opponents so far have maybe not been at their 100% best. This match against Nadal will definitely be a proper test of where he's at... assuming Rafa doesn't get blisters on his blisters ;)

The hard truth is that his best probably isn't good enough anymore which is a shame. There's no chance of him beating a fully fit Rafa at Roland Garros, Murray/Djokovic at Wimbledon or Rafa/Djokovic at Flushing Meadows but hopefully he can show that he has improved since last year and is still able to push the top guys.

• Advertisement

Also, really good to see Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic reviving their doubles partnership. Hopefully they can make the doubles a bit more interesting and challenge the Bryan brothers. They've won their first 4 matches this year (excluding the AO) and have a great record together so I'm hoping they can break up the Bryan monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Federer has a good chance of beating Nadal,its now or never really.

As long as Federer serves well he will always have his chances vs Nadal.

Federer has to play the same tactics that he did in the first two sets today ,aggressive tennis .

Nadal is usually a slow starter so I expect Federer to win the first set.

Federer has pushed Nadal close in his last few matches ,but he just goes awol in vital games.
    He was a set up in Cincinnati in August and playing well but couldnt take his break points and got demoralised.

Federer is definitely moving better and I didnt see many forehand errors today or against Tsonga .
    Nadal has said the blister on his left hand is affecting his service so that could play a part too.
    There is also a good chance of rain Friday night in Melbourne too so the roof will probably be closed ,this will benefit Federer.

Its going to boil down to the break points .
    Federer cant seem to take them against Nadal ,worryingly enough he only took 4/17 today against Murray .

Likely scenario if Federer doesnt take his chances ;
    Federer will win the first set comfortably. Lose a break lead in the second and then lose the set in the TB. Have loads of BP in the 3rd, and fail to convert each of them. 4th set win for Nadal.

If Federer takes his chances he should win the first 2 sets

The outcome of this match will depend on Feds state of mind more than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

As well as federer is playing nadal just owns him in that match up. Can't see federer taking 3 sets off nadal.

Hope wawrinka wins it but the only player who can beat nadal in a slam nowadays is djokovic. Djokovic seems to be the only player to adapt his game to rafa's style and doesn't fear him.

Federer has never figured out a plan B against nadal, tomorrow is his best chance. Same problem with Murray, he doesn't have the belief against rafa hence the 13-5 head to head.

Hope I am wrong as I wouldn't mind seeing a federer vs wawrinka final and wawrinka to win. Such a talented player and it's great to see him finally stepping up

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

1 set apiece now in the semi.

I can not believe Aga just rolled over like that to Cibulkova! I hope Li Na destroys her in the final.

• Advertisement

2-1 to Stan.

To be honest, if berdych is double-faulting on setpoint, best that he's not in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

stan win a close 4th set, think there will be 5th set in this

COME ON STAN!!!!!

Good win from Stan. Seems mentally sound at the moment. Hopefully he'll be able to keep that attitude in the final. Either opponent will be tough and they'll obviously have the benefit of having played and won many Slam finals before.
    The best outcome from the other SF is that it goes for about 6 hours and Stan has more time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I can not believe Aga just rolled over like that to Cibulkova! I hope Li Na destroys her in the final.
    Cibukova has been awesome all week, so no idea why you want her hammered:confused:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Cibukova has been awesome all week, so no idea why you want her hammered:confused:

Because I don't like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think stan will want federer to win, definitely has a better chance against him than nadal.

However can federer beat nadal? I am not so sure, his last slam win against nadal was 2007!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I think stan will want federer to win, definitely has a better chance against him than
    Would love a Stan V Fed all Swiss final. Would be a great one for the neutrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Not gonna happen, it's 6 straight sets for Nadal from here - maybe he'll drop 1 - maybe.

2014,2015 Nadal should pick up at least 6/8 Grand Slams.

We wait .......

we wait ....

2016 is when it dawns .... hope ..

light ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Love to see Fed beat Nadal well here but no chance imo. nadal probably win here in 4 and straight sets against stan and moves another cone closer to Federer, hopefully am very wrong.

• Advertisement

If Nadal wins tomorrow Stan will be Swiss #1 on Monday.

If Nadal wins tomorrow Stan will be Swiss #1 on Monday.

Aye, Fed needs to wins the tournament to stay as no. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Because I don't like her.

Really?

She seems harmless enough and not the worst player to watch.

Nadal goes to 14 slams should he win this one. Great chance at breaking Roger's slam record.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sweet baby jesus, can't believe how awful Aga was, I was really looking forward to a final with Li. Another slam opportunity gone for Aga :( This is obviously good for Li though, she should finally win a long overdue AO title. Rule nothing out though.

So so happy for Stan! Would love to see him win it, but I guess it really depends on whether Roger can pull off the upset against Rafa, which is unlikely.

Oh and get this, is Rafa wins the tournament, Del Potro will move up to #3 in the world :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sweet baby jesus, can't believe how awful Aga was, I was really looking forward to a final with Li. Another slam opportunity gone for Aga :( This is obviously good for Li though, she should finally win a long overdue AO title. Rule nothing out though.

So so happy for Stan! Would love to see him win it, but I guess it really depends on whether Roger can pull off the upset against Rafa, which is unlikely.

Oh and get this, is Rafa wins the tournament, Del Potro will move up to #3 in the world :o

Thought this was going to be Aga's year to make the breakthrough, was shocked to see her crumble like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Swollerer

walshb wrote: »

Interesting stats alright, If Federer maintains his form he will beat Nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Christ they'd want to stop with that awful low crosscourt camera angle from the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Roger making a lot of backhand errors. :(

Advertisement