Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeWX_f0IcAAQJjW.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/ucc_gaa/status/424913358639595520

From ucc gaa twitter ,ucc team is there,you look through it

Leahane and jack aherne got a goal each

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

Thought as much,too cold for you,great to be the hurler on the dtich,and comment on me ,when I actually at the game.
    Fair play lad,thanks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again man, I've as much right to comment in this forum as u have. I go to as many games as I have time to between playing myself and what I can afford to, no more no less. I have no bad word to say about any person who goes to a lot of games but there are other people on here except yourself with differing opinions than yourself.

Chill the feck out there's a place for humour on this thread as well. Personally I find your posts informative and interesting. I'd agree with about half of what u come out with (on a good day lol).It is the way they are delivered and the overbearing, long winded, repetitive and frankly preachy manner in which they are delivered that I have a problem with. That's just my own opinion, I'm sure others will disagree but I've no problem with that something you seem to have difficulty with.

Once again, I've absolutely no idea what you're on about when u keep referring to me and the weather, are you mixing me up with another poster? Or are we to take from it that your opinion is that anyone who didn't go to mallow today isn't a true died in the wool cork supporter like yourself?

Horse84 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again man, I've as much right to comment in this forum as u have. I go to as many games as I have time to between playing myself and what I can afford to, no more no less. I have no bad word to say about any person who goes to a lot of games but there are other people on here except yourself with differing opinions than yourself.

Chill the feck out there's a place for humour on this thread as well. Personally I find your posts informative and interesting. I'd agree with about half of what u come out with (on a good day lol).It is the way they are delivered and the overbearing, long winded, repetitive and frankly preachy manner in which they are delivered that I have a problem with. That's just my own opinion, I'm sure others will disagree but I've no problem with that something you seem to have difficulty with.

Once again, I've absolutely no idea what you're on about when u keep referring to me and the weather, are you mixing me up with another poster? Or are we to take from it that your opinion is that anyone who didn't go to mallow today isn't a true died in the wool cork supporter like yourself?

None at all,a lot of people couldnt go for good reason,couldnt afford it ,and I geuinely feel for them.

I have no bother with you lad.Im strong and opinated and yes I do say a lot ,so much passion ,i get it all out ,but the reason I go on defence is personal slants,and snipe remarks,and my point is ,whatever my. Opionions ,all I am interested in is cork gaa ,and every man,woman or child that plays I support them.

I criticise players on the field,nothing personal ,as I want the best cork men on the 15,and I dont give a f**k if they east,west city,or north cork ,as long as they are the best ,as I know cork have the talent ,what is frrustrating is to see lads picked ,given chance after chance ,and other better lads are not.
    People hear think I have views against players for the sake of it.No,just when I do ,its normally ,i saw them a lot and I see better out there ,and we want cork to win.

I have nothing against you lad,and ,you seem a geuine rebel.I stand my ground ,with views,but honest to god it is just gaa,the day the soccer menatity comes in that with views or even rival supposters cant mix or it becomes personal,as much I do really love it,i will walk away.

Today was great surrounded by kerry men,wanting to beat them badly,yet at the end shaking hands ,having the banter wishing a happy new year to them.

Geuinely happy new year to you ,and im sure we will have a difference of opinon :|,in the future,it is just gaa:|,nothing more or less on my part.

None at all,a lot of people couldnt go for good reason,couldnt afford it ,and I geuinely feel for them.

I have no bother with you lad.Im strong and opinated and yes I do say a lot ,so much passion ,i get it all out ,but the reason I go on defence is personal slants,and snipe remarks,and my point is ,whatever my. Opionions ,all I am interested in is cork gaa ,and every man,woman or child that plays I support them.

I criticise players on the field,nothing personal ,as I want the best cork men on the 15,and I dont give a f**k if they east,west city,or north cork ,as long as they are the best ,as I know cork have the talent ,what is frrustrating is to see lads picked ,given chance after chance ,and other better lads are not.
    People hear think I have views against players for the sake of it.No,just when I do ,its normally ,i saw them a lot and I see better out there ,and we want cork to win.

I have nothing against you lad,and ,you seem a geuine rebel.I stand my ground ,with views,but honest to god it is just gaa,the day the soccer menatity comes in that with views or even rival supposters cant mix or it becomes personal,as much I do really love it,i will walk away.

Today was great surrounded by kerry men,wanting to beat them badly,yet at the end shaking hands ,having the banter wishing a happy new year to them.

Geuinely happy new year to you ,and im sure we will have a difference of opinon :|,in the future,it is just gaa:|,nothing more or less on my part.

Grand so lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Settle down here.Personally myself i think Thinkstoomuch is a very knowledgeable and passionate Cork GAA man.I find his posts to be very informative and enjoyable.If people have a problem with his posts then no one is holding you at gunpoint to read them!I just think this is just total and utter pettiness on other posters part.Now i would strongly disagree with Thinkstoomuch's views on John Allen and Tom Ryan for example.But so what it's his opinion which he is entitled too and he has never insulted people in his posts.The personal attacks are coming from other peoples end!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

Other people such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Shane O'Donnell playing any hurling with UCC this year?? Heard a story he wasnt, and i saw he wasnt one of the recipients of the gaa scholarships/bursaries, and then not on the panel above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Any chance of a new thread with thinkstoomuchs long reports and leave this to discussion, as in chat with back and forth? I mean his reports are useful. The opinions contained within could be seperated out and for this thread the opinions. I just find it difficult goin through paragraphs upon paragraphs, its a discussion forum not a blog.

That's a great idea in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Connorzee wrote: »
    Shane O'Donnell playing any hurling with UCC this year?? Heard a story he wasnt, and i saw he wasnt one of the recipients of the gaa scholarships/bursaries, and then not on the panel above.
    UL at 4/1 is looking a great price in the fitz if so!

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    UL at 4/1 is looking a great price in the fitz if so!

Ucc will rattle it,id say,and they have a great management,Enright and peter cody and cathal casey .

I wouldnt be suprised if ,Ul won it ,a fine team .
    Mary 1 will be strong with Cregan at the helm.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Any chance of a new thread with thinkstoomuchs long reports and leave this to discussion, as in chat with back and forth? I mean his reports are useful. The opinions contained within could be seperated out and for this thread the opinions. I just find it difficult goin through paragraphs upon paragraphs, its a discussion forum not a blog.
    What did you make of today.?your mad for gaa,chat me two,and as you said its a gaa forum .,keep it gaa.
    A blogger usually doesnt do debate,im happy to debate any point.Im not a blogger,i just think too much about the game ,and like to talk about it as much as I can.

A huge loss if so,thought he was playing this year,he was a fresher last year?

What did you make of today.?your mad for gaa,chat me two,and as you said its a gaa forum .,keep it gaa.
    A blogger usually doesnt do debate,im happy to debate any point.Im not a blogger,i just think too much about the game ,and like to talk about it as much as I can.

Ignore that talk and keep on driving on as you are.If people want short and snappy posts then Twitter is the place for them.

Ignore that talk and keep on driving on as you are.If people want short and snappy posts then Twitter is the place for them.

Are you all set for Saturday?i hear youghal are flying in training .Id love to be in the gaelic grounds supporting ye ,but prob go to Galway instead with ,Clyda ,they have a bigger ask ,i think ye could win

Id love to see desmond and cooper on the cork panel.ollie dempsey has a great chance with the minors

Wasnt at it. Had a game on beforehand and wouldnt make it. Thats why I looked forward to your report. Then you went on so long about parking the car and praising those parking the cars that I gave up. Keep up the good work.

Are you all set for Saturday?i hear youghal are flying in training .Id love to be in the gaelic grounds supporting ye ,but prob go to Galway instead with ,Clyda ,they have a bigger ask ,i think ye could win

Id love to see desmond and cooper on the cork panel.ollie dempsey has a great chance with the minors

Well i think the Cork selectors could do worse than have a look at Alan Frahill O'Connor.Were in bonus territory really.The pressure was off after the Ardmore game but there's an all ireland there so let's drive on and go for it.We have a good management set up.Christy Cooney look's after the administrative side of things and Peter Coady does the hurling training.I also think that Youghal will show that they will be well able to manage at senior level.Speaking of Clyda Rovers i'd love to see a great and astute Cork football man like Ned English involved with a Cork intercounty team.

Wasnt at it. Had a game on beforehand and wouldnt make it. Thats why I looked forward to your report. Then you went on so long about parking the car and praising those parking the cars that I gave up. Keep up the good work.
    oh god sorry to hear that.Im gutted,i was full sure you were at it ,by you views on the game regards hayes and mclouglin.

Fair play,you give a great view from a man that didnt even see the game.When I become as good as you ,to judge players that played well without even seeing the game,i think I wont need to go any games in the future and will have shorter posts as,I wont have much to say as I will judge a player on one moment in a game,despite he playing a half hour .Please bear with me.

And thank you,your compliment means the world to me,i will keep up the work.

Im only good as my last post ,like a player is only as good as he's last game,so I dont expect a lot of praise.

Hope you won your game lad,

oh god sorry to hear that.Im gutted,i was full sure you were at it ,by you views on the game regards hayes and mclouglin.

Fair play,you give a great view from a man that didnt even see the game.When I become as good as you ,to judge players that played well without even seeing the game,i think I wont need to go any games in the future and will have shorter posts as,I wont have much to say as I will judge a player on one moment in a game,despite he playing a half hour .Please bear with me.

And thank you,your compliment means the world to me,i will keep up the work.

Im only good as my last post ,like a player is only as good as he's last game,so I dont expect a lot of praise.

Hope you won your game lad,

sarcasm, I know it well. Who cares if we won. Its january.
    Peace out

Well i think the Cork selectors could do worse than have a look at Alan Frahill O'Connor.Were in bonus territory really.The pressure was off after the Ardmore game but there's an all ireland there so let's drive on and go for it.We have a good management set up.Christy Cooney look's after the administrative side of things and Peter Coady does the hurling training.I also think that Youghal will show that they will be well able to manage at senior level.Speaking of Clyda Rovers i'd love to see a great and astute Cork football man like Ned English involved with a Cork intercounty team.

Hes record is superb,but it wont happen.An excellcent article in todays paper ,with david power,tipp said hes management team ,gerry macgill great record in all football,ladies with dublin and laois,pat flangan kerry,alan o connor with them,and tipp minor hurlers has a super record at club in tipp ,all hes team must be proven coaches and no one coach should be a faciltator at intercounty in that,if every man can coach,it avoids a staleness and all drills are different etc.

He is spot on.I saw clare hurlers in ul train for 2 hours last tuesday and oh my god,i have seen a lot of teams train,the set up was amazing,truly amazing,and you got to see davy in action to realise he is a terffic coach,and this myth he is a dicator and micromanges is false,he lets each coach,mulqueen,kinnerk etc do their role ,and he knows when to step in,step back ,and is a superb coach,and hes team mean the world to him.He is good guy ,and geuine,yes he is passionate with clare,but he is a winner.Hurling is lucky and clare are to have him.Anyone thinks clare are going anywhere think again.

Frahill o connor is good but lawton,cahalane,walsh ,harnedy are the same type of player but more hurling in them.

• Advertisement

sarcasm, I know it well. Who cares if we won. Its january.
    Peace out

Ah lad,i meant everything in the post ,like you did in yours to me.
    I dont do sarcasm.
    Fair play for playing today its a long season.Fair point it is only january ,i hope the game was everything ye wanted it to be,and best of luck in the championship.
    I admire any team ,that plays any game this early.Its a long hard season ,for any team.

I hope the club fixtures strike a good balance with intercounty ,this year ,as last year club games went on too long.I do symphatise with the board,it is very hard to solve,and its hard to know what is the best answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Hey Thinkstoomuch

Aside from your comments on the individual players, you didn't say much on Cork's overall style of play. I'm curious to know if a clear style of play is emerging under Cuthbert. What's your view?

I know Cuthbert has said in the past that he wants Cork to play faster ball into the forwards, but he also said that he'd have to implement a style of play that suited his players, so I'm sure the league will probably give a clearer picture of his overall plans for Cork.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Hey Thinkstoomuch

Aside from your comments on the individual players, you didn't say much on Cork's overall style of play. I'm curious to know if a clear style of play is emerging under Cuthbert. What's your view?

I know Cuthbert has said in the past that he wants Cork to play faster ball into the forwards, but he also said that he'd have to implement a style of play that suited his players, so I'm sure the league will probably give a clearer picture of his overall plans for Cork.
    Credit due to him,he is talking the the talk but walking the walking,in the team are playing much faster football, and laying it in to space and there is a real intent to move it at pace.The handpassing is there to get themselves out of a hole and they do that in defence,but there is an intent to kick it fast .

When they get in the second half middle 3rd ,whats noticeable is where cork would hand pass,they are now short passing,with short kicks instead.Its great to see.
    The execution is still off and players do handpass at times but that is expected,its a learning curve.When I reflect of Goulding bearing down on goal ,he had kerrigan to hes right.In Times of past games,he would have handpassed,and it looked is if he would,but then he didnt.Nobody seemed upset with him he didnt,it was like fair play the goal was on ,and you took a chance,they seem to wanted to get away from like LIT and UL,walking the ball in which is great to see.

Compare it to Kerry,they had a weak forward line yet they do the basics so so well even,like kick fast diagnoal ball,low or head height ,and ideal for forwards.
    Corks intent was there,but some of the ball was too high,like a garroyowen in rubgy,where you give it welly,time to attack it and protect the 1st reciever .
    It was so high,at times it would gather snow.
    I think when Cork pick stronger teams it should improve,the problem at midfield.
    It looks like Andrew Sullivan is going to partner Walsh.I cant emphasise strongly,you cant fault hes work rate,attuide,and bravery ,he is terrific ,but he struggles badly with kicking direct ball,and that has always been hes diffculty ,with previous Cork teams.

If Cork had to play a powerful old type of game ,like a few year ago ,he would be ideal,Pearse O Neill prototype.He is asked to play a game he simply cannot.
    Hes attuide and workrate,other more talented lads would do well to replicate.
    On other teams with a different style he would be fine.
    It is like picking the Leinster backline in rubgy the last few years ,at its best,but having dan parks at out half as the conductor.For all flair,pace,and potency,they are negated as Parks a good outhalf in hes own right,is asked play a game he doesnt have the skills to do,he is a kicker at the end of the day.

It is similar with Cork .I would loved to seen Laoire get a half yesterday ,done all that was asked of against lit as sub,and ul then,and he is a great passer.Is he the answer ?

He deserves a chance super at u21 and junior for Cork.Interestingly kerry Mikey Sheehey said Kerry were way of Dublin in strength and conditioning.
    They didnt look anyway light on the ball .They like cork need to work on tackling in to contact ,though.Donie Buckley with kerry has worked wonders with Mayo in that regard,bringing in ideas from american football.
    Ed Coughlan ,a St Finbarrs man,and a degree in science,very young,has worked on kick passing but oversees the strength and conditioning with Mayo.

Our man ,the antrim lad,has great expierence from Australian rules so it is good for us,we use techniques and princples from other sports to help us,and add a new impetus and add innovation.
    Paul Kinnerks football methods have helped Clare in the hurling.David matthews,and gary ryan have used their athletic background to bring in new ideas and speed to hurling with Cork and Tippereary.

Armagh have done the same,ex Cavan,Kildare and the 1st woman as strength and conditiong coach at intercounty level a few years ago ,Julie Davis,who is highely rated ,is with Armagh now.
    She was a 400m hurlder and represented Great britain at athletics .Armagh ,traditonally a strong robust team,are going for speed too it would seem .The game is changing as we know.
    She is Eoin cadogans girlfriend.

I mentioned here before Michael Deasy ,kilbrittain hurler,the strength and conditioning guy and main man with western samoa rubgy,had said he will go back to gaelic in time,it is hes true love.
    I have no doubt he will be head hunted by an intercounty team.And he works on core strength ,but never takes away from there natural speed,hence there props and backrows are lightening fast.

Would kerry swoop for him ,and let the superb Cian O Neill deal with more football drills.Whether it is kerry or not ,someone will go for Deasy in the future.

It won't be the 1st time rubgy is coordinated with hurling or GAA.Sean O Brien is helping with Carlow in gaelic football,Denis Coughlan,munster done the strength work with Glen rovers last year in the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭corkrobinhood

I cant be arsed giving a report because thinkstoomuch to be fair gave a good account of how things went in the game,well said. :)

(Apart from you views of the traffic plan,which was non existent,and a shambles. Spend thousands lanscaping a venue and then park cars on soft green areas? Good luck fixing that damage! )

I would go with the sam 15 you picked bar Galvin,cant see him having a hope in hells chance of staying with any of the Kerry forwards come Championship time.

On a final note,when Hayes scored that goal yesterday I was very tempted to take the microphone from the public address lad and ask could Thinkstoomuch please make himself known to the nearest steward so I could celebrate the goal with you :P

The Cork football league panel is to be announced next week,a good statement of intent will hopefully be made.
    Cuthbhert said he will be ruthless to make hard calls,and some wont make the cut.Great to hear ,if he does that and credit due ,if that happens.No room for sentiment.

It is a welcome tone to hear,unlike John Allen interview last tuesday where he said he wasnt ruthless and doesnt believe in this win all mentality ,and wouldnt manage again at intercounty.
    This is intercounty ,you must be ruthless,and have a win all mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

A huge loss if so,thought he was playing this year,he was a fresher last year?

Yeah fresher last year, and was in the stand at the Clare/Limerick game at the weekend while UCC were playing Mary I.

Who's the Cork lad playing full back with UL, Sheehan? Any good?

Yeah fresher last year, and was in the stand at the Clare/Limerick game at the weekend while UCC were playing Mary I.

Who's the Cork lad playing full back with UL, Sheehan? Any good?

If is the lad I am thinking of its jack sheehan of eirns own,normally a centre forward,good under aerial ball and strong.

I havent seen a lot of him the last 6 months as a full back,but while not reading too much in to it,at a time when cork needs a full back,he has came on the radar to watch and see what he has,as Brian lohan one of the greatest of full backs in modern times ,knows what a full back must have and must see some attrubites say he converts him there,and he held maurice shanahan to a point from play,and it is with interest to see will he get a sustained run in the fitzgibbon.If he starts,they have faith in him,and it will be good to see how the lad does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭zetecescort

for those of you not getting season tickets you can puchase individual league tickets now for €10, entry will be €15 on the day

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2001141640-allianz-league-release/

• Advertisement

I heard,naughton ,cussen and Michael Sullivan are meant to be among those gone of the cork panel.

It will be interesting to see if true.I would like Sullivan to get a chance,never got a run like others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement