Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Teams today 2 all
    Patrick curran is playing he started ,had a hand injury.

what a point from cahalane from a sideline ball breathtaking like ben o connor in the day

Up 6 to 4.

8 points to 4 hammies had the wind h time but its swirling ,coming and going

Cahalane is majestic daly is super for dungarvan at full

Great chance long way to go though

Great game
    O leary kennealky,meade ,murray,o callahan good games

Cahalane bt 5 points a joy tto watch

Superb hammiton I knew they would win I said last wk

14 to 11 report I do later

15 heroes but cahalane superb lost for words.
    Repeat 1st match ard scoil again likely to be in mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Saturday week feb 1st in mallow I think it's confirmed

• Advertisement

Horse84 wrote: »
    Saturday week feb 1st in mallow I think it's confirmed

Will the rochestown game go ahead the same day?
    Mallow can take two games after sunday it held up well cork minors football playing challenge tngt.I expect a big crowd to go to that.Teddy maccarthy was there today.

Hurlers a second string team beat rochestown last night in hurling

Cahalane was superb ,ten out of 13 points.Like I said the swagger,confidence from the senior set up would shine on him,he was a star .A star wasnt born today,as he has been superb all year ,and will get better.

A superb,super game ,two excellent teams and congrualtion tnd Hammies.
    Wonderful,truly wonderful .

Cork minors meant to be playing a city team tngt in football unconfirmed yet in mallow at6.30 tralee It v cork u21 football also same venue.

I may not make this but if I do or hear the result I post it.

From today,it shows the excellent condition of the ptich,and the two great teams in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Superb hammiton I knew they would win I said last wk

14 to 11 report I do later

15 heroes but cahalane superb lost for words.
    Repeat 1st match ard scoil again likely to be in mallow

Sitting here at work welling up - never thought I'd see the day when the Hammies were in a Harty Semi final...

Sitting here at work welling up - never thought I'd see the day when the Hammies were in a Harty Semi final...

Delighted for ye the so called small fish in hurling.
    A credit and a role model ,to every schondl or club in Cork,beat all the odds ,and thats why I believed ye would win,the belief and heart,resoute and total Team ethic,combined with the diamond Cahalane ,i knew ye would win .

Nothing is impossible as munster say to the brave an faithful.

Ard scoil,i would give a super chance,there is more in them ,but I will discuss that game another. Day ,todays shougkd be enjoyed and celbrated,second year only in it since 95 and. Semifinal ,Wow.

Ill will do a proper report later and try an do the game justice,it was such a wonderful,unigue game,with two brillant sides it deserves that.

I had a lump in my throat at the end of the game,and im nt a hammies man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Delighted for ye the so called small fish in hurling.
    A credit and a role model ,to every schondl or club in Cork,beat all the odds ,and thats why I believed ye would win,the belief and heart,resoute and total Team ethic,combined with the diamond Cahalane ,i knew ye would win .

Nothing is impossible as munster say to the brave an faithful.

Ard scoil,i would give a super chance,there is more in them ,but I will discuss that game another. Day ,todays shougkd be enjoyed and celbrated,second year only in it since 95 and. Semifinal ,Wow.

Ill will do a proper report later and try an do the game justice,it was such a wonderful,unigue game,with two brillant sides it deserves that.

I had a lump in my throat at the end of the game,and im nt a hammies man.

They are a serious squad - I was out with a good mate (teaching at the school now) on the Sunday before Christmas and they had been out in Clonakilty that day on the all weather training - every single squad player there. Couple of other training sessions over the X-mas break, as I said earlier they had tried to have a training session out in Castlemarytr so they are putting in serious preparation. Plus it does help to have an ace like Cahalane...

Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is that Mallows main pitch ya?

Cork minor hurlers challege match thursday 6.30 against ard scoil mallow (a lot of there harty cup team be involved)as there preparing for the semifinal,be a good workout for cork

Luke meade etc,bandon lads wont be there as they play a munster b football game friday.

Cork minors play douglas u21 and cork u21 team play tralee it same venue two separte ptiches at 7.30 tonight Mallow ,for anyone interested.

What a unique ,occasion in the splendid,North Cork venue of Mallow,the first time since 1928 aprox,the reigning harty cup champions ,couldnt defend there throne ,as dungarvan had to go it alone.and no almagation with st augstines,and on todays evidence with 5 of last year team,they can more than stand on there own two feet,who were up against the West cork hammilton lads in there 1st ever harty cup quater final and there second year after a gap of 16 years.

The game ended Hamilton high soared to new heights and won an epic,13 to 11.A great game,played in a dry day,but damp conitions but with a swirling wind.Fergal horgan of tipp was the ref,and for the 2nd week at harty cup level,i saw poor refeering and also by linesmen,some woeful decisonts at crucial times that could have cost hamilton.They lead 8 to 4 at h time and won the 1st half ,but lost the second half 7 to 5.

Robbie o connell was super,under high ball,and marashelled the defence superbly,and had short and long puckouts and varied it superbly.
    Andrew o connell and jack o connor were immense,tenacious,like wolves,super on the breaks.

Michael macsweeney ,at full back,cometh the man,cometh the lad was on the majestic,curran,waterford minor,fair play he played superb,got 7 points but he was majestic with frees.Sweeney though held him superbly,won clean ball,powerful surges,and hurled left and right.Never allowed curran any time.
    Kenneally had a super game ,and o leary and murray who was truly heroic ,were immense at the back.O leary when hammies were hanging on by a point with 5 min to go,he made a vital arms length hook on I think morrisey.

Meade was unreal,easily covered 5 miles,with running up and down,a lovely point but he chased cormac curran,like a dog after a rabbit,never let up and with jonathan mulchay held o grady.

I had said in my preview ,that jerry O neill courcey would be half forWard,i can see why,a big man,strength from hes farming background ,showed and will be with luke meade  very serious players and shake the starting 15 minor for cork.Curran was more around midfield ,and won a lot of breaking ball.
    Kevin o donovan ahanan gaels ,was everywhere,as a corner forward,was at times back at cnrner back,and he got a great goal in the cork colleges final,that showed with ball he can score.Today was a defensive display and he was super .
    Trevor horgan ,hampered by a hamstring injury ,had a huge battle with Kevin daly,jesus he is some full back and is senior in every way.
    Horgan was good ,in that he only got a point but at vital times won hard ball and made two scores.
    Has another huge challenge in clare u21 barry fitzpatrick but well up to it.Eoghan o reilly did super when he came on,he chased every ball and in the end played in a two man full forward line but he has some pace,on a dry day ,hard ground he will be lethal.

The best man til last,Cahalane superb,some sideline ball,forty yards out with a swirling breeze,as good as cathal casey,joe canning ben o connor.He stood over it,two feet evenly balanced apart,rose the ball fast but smoothly,it genty lifed,perfect distance from the caman in which he stood to get as much power in it,once it became airborne ,it was like watching the concorde in its day,majestic at cruising speed,destined to complete its journey,it did ,bang centre between the posts.He was at centreforward but moved to midfield also won at least 6 clean balls in the air,at one stage on hes knees he picked a ball with two men on him,like hes hurley was a magnet.He is rum talent,athletic,strong,fast,great delivery,super touch,and can he score,as I said the senior confidence gave him that bit of swagger and confidence on top of what he had.

The coaches crowley and donughe deserve great credit as they were superbly trained,played fast,short hurling when they had to,always find a man in space,yet with the wind went long and direct and have a plan a and b.

Ardscoil are a huge test in mallow,repeat of the ist game 3 months ago ,in feb 1st ,but they have improved immensly since then,are just a shadow of that team,and are well capable of beating that great team,thats for another day,i will preview that game in due course.
    Today is hamiltons day.I said and knew they would win today,as I saw a belief,courage,a drive and coeshive spirit in them ,and I think there is more in them.

Today they done west cork and cork gaa proud,and huge credit and grattiude for that to them.
    It was some game,i am not a a hamilton man,but I had a lump in my throat at the end,it was such a great game.Credit dungarvan,a great team,daly and curran stars of the future and they done waterford proud.
    A great and legend of cork gaa as a player teddy maccarthy was at it ,but today we had stars on both teams that could in time be legends for cork and waterford.
    Good news is michael cahalane opted out of the u21football team this year as with the leaving cert and u21 and senior hurling he has more than enough.As talented footballer he is such is the talent up front on the cork u21 team,we can survive without him.

Cork u21 beat tralee it,rory deane went of injured with tralee ,2-13 to 6 in two 30 min halves,minor beat douglas u21 1-17 to 1-7 aprox.I will say more on that later.They will be very strong,and are well coached.

The u21 team have had a good challenge tonight,next up in lit at 2 saturday against reigning all ireland champs galway.Kerry u21 team beat kildare sunday in a challenge.

Today belongs to the west cork men,and like clyda have done north cork proud,youghal east cork proud with midelton,rochestown the city proud,it show every corner of cork gaa has and can bring greatness and pride to our wonderful county of cork.

The full list of subs on both teams is in my previous posts with the attachment of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

Jez you are one passionate Cork GAA supporter thinkstoomuch. Great read, tidy up the grammer and syntax and theres a career in it for you, but maybe your not all about that. Thanks

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Will the rochestown game go ahead the same day?
    Mallow can take two games after sunday it held up well cork minors football playing challenge tngt.I expect a big crowd to go to that.Teddy maccarthy was there today.

Very different to looking at a pitch like that and actually going out on it - they need to mind it a bit better, because speaking to a few people last summer it was very very poor because of the overuse of it in the winter/early spring

Very different to looking at a pitch like that and actually going out on it - they need to mind it a bit better, because speaking to a few people last summer it was very very poor because of the overuse of it in the winter/early spring

I agree,last sunday they will by the week with challenges,munster b football,harty cup etc have around 8 games in a week.

Happy new year to you by the way:|good to see you back.

webels wrote: »
    Jez you are one passionate Cork GAA supporter thinkstoomuch. Great read, tidy up the grammer and syntax and theres a career in it for you, but maybe your not all about that. Thanks

I do it for it the love of the game.thanks man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Fergal Ryan has hung up his boots.
    http://www.blackrockhurlingclub.com/content/ryano-retires

Class player. Some nice words from Wayne Sherlock in there

Cork u21s had a good work out tonight,Tralee it were poor ,bar there number 5 who was padraig o se,and the no 12,they were excellent ,the rest were not great.Rory deane was lording it up against sean kiely and ian maguire.But he went of injured.I wouldnt be suprised to see him with the senior set ,talking to two ex players the last week and a very well known lad with tralee,and he told me he was the best midfielder by a country mile in the mcgrath cup,beating moran and maher,and they had to put 3 on him .Every one I talks to cant fathom how he is not
    A on it
    B the lads ahead of him

Cork 15 was martin(hegarty then) conor dorman, kevin fulgnatti, jamie  davis, tj brosnan,sean white,?not sure who 7 was

Midfield ian maguire and sean kiely

Cadogan ,superb all night,vaughan likewise,sugrue great goal ,brian o driscoll,dan mac eoin 5 great points and ,kevin harrington great goal were the forwards .

We have more to join ,but some potential up front.A lot of talent there ,the key is to get such talents to gel as a cohesive unit.

A lot of various things were tried,i wont say here,very good workout ,subs used,killan o connor ryan harkin,Darragh murphy made a real impact at midfield ,a talented soccer player ,trials in uk I think,and mcylntyre all good.
    Sam oakes,a fine season at senior for bishoptown,niall kelleher all played,and they have a strong panel.
    Stephen cronin is to come in also.
    Peter kelliher wont be there with cahalane or trevor horgan but they would find it hard to start such is the depth of talent.
    John corkery to come in.

The panel is far from set in stone ,but it is taking shape for tralee in  weeks.

A good win,considering dublin beat them last week,dublin had a strong team with senior jack mccaffery,john small,eric lowndes ,paul mannion etc ,so they will learn from that.Dublin were strong and are the team to beat with dessie farell.
    Dublin were doing video anaylis last week of that game and do it at every game,they mean buisness,were beaten by longford last year,they are unlikely to be caught in leinster again.

Galway is a great test Saturday .Around this time last year cork played galway in lit at that grade,and won 14 to 9 but got a great game from them.

Ian burke is with the tribseman again this year,be great if he played the weekend ,a good test for the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Any U21 team from tonight TTM??

Connorzee wrote: »
    Any U21 team from tonight TTM??

That no 5 who was great for tralee paudie o se(rip)son I believe.

I heard,naughton ,cussen and Michael Sullivan are meant to be among those gone of the cork panel.

It will be interesting to see if true.I would like Sullivan to get a chance,never got a run like others.

Cussen and naughton dropped from the cork squad,like I heard .Jbm said in the paper ,the door is still open.That is just kind words,naughton and cussen days in a cork shirt at senior are over.

I geuinely wish them the best in there careers but this had to happen as you cant do sentiment at intercounty and they had plenty of time .I have no doubt both will light up the club scence at newtown and sarsfields.

Michael sullivan may have made it ,great if true.

Colm spillane made the cut ,i think.

Patrick o mahony did not.He is a fine player ,but was never going to be an option at 3.
    He would make most teams ,as a corner back ,he is that good.I feel for the lad ,there is talk he is travelling in the summer,so it may hare been hes own choice

Cork have an abundance of corner backs though,each as good as each other.
    He is a top top hurler.

Anyone going to the Corn u Mhuiri,can'j make them,be great if some one was there and updated us.

Best of luck to macroom,facthtnas and chriost ri against the kerry teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Heading to the Macroom game myself.

Not sure will mobile data be great in Rathmore but I presume the Munster GAA twitter page will have updates.

Indie. wrote: »

Not sure will mobile data be great in Rathmore but I presume the Munster GAA twitter page will have updates.

Great lad to hear ,if you do would u post the teams via picture please.
    Enjoy the match.Rathmore is a lovely ptich and theres a fine petrol station that do savage food.
    Twitter can be hot and cold,some days it could be miles behind the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Indie. wrote: »

mobile data should be fine in Rathmore!

• Advertisement

Anyone know when and where rochestown v doon in the harty semifinal is set for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement