Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Well not a waste entirely, it's not a bad beer now. Just missing that bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

snowblind wrote: »
    Opened my Blacks BIPA minikeg. I really like the beer on draught, but the hop notes are almost totally missing on this one. Well that was a waste of money.

From all the comments so far I'm glad I didn't get one now. But tbh, I got such a big Christmas stash (that I've barely touched) I don't know when I would've gotten a chance to get through it. Or mores to the point, it's probably something that works best sharing between a few people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    it's probably something that works best sharing between a few people.

Definitely, it needs to be had in one sitting, and there's 10 pints in it. It loses carbonation pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Brewdog Hoppy Christmas. Saw a bottle in the off licence at lunch so picked it up.

Very nice. Might go back get the last 2 tomorrow!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I saw some less than favourable reviews for the 8 Degrees Russian Imperial Stout, but I couldn't resist picking up a bottle anyway. I love it! :) Not as good as the Kindred Spirit last year, but still worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Brewdog Hoppy Christmas. Saw a bottle in the off licence at lunch so picked it up.

Very nice. Might go back get the last 2 tomorrow!

I loved both of the Brew Dog Christmas offerings. Ordered 12 of each from their website at a really big discounted price but the courier damaged the delivery so I never got them. They'd sold out by the time it was returned. Only managed to get 1 bottle of each from Drinkstore and thought they were both gorgeous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    From all the comments so far I'm glad I didn't get one now. But tbh, I got such a big Christmas stash (that I've barely touched) I don't know when I would've gotten a chance to get through it. Or mores to the point, it's probably something that works best sharing between a few people.

I still haven't opened mine. Must find an excuse. There's no way I can drink it on my own though and, like you, I had a rather large Christmas stash that rolled over into the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Sitting in the goose island pub in Chicago ATM having a barrel aged red saison. God Bless America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Modus Hoperandi on tap in Farringtons today !

Wish I was in town now!

9 quid a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

drumswan wrote: »
    9 quid a pint
    :eek: 'tis a nice brew to be sure, but not €9 a pint nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

MonstaMash wrote: »
    :eek: 'tis a nice brew to be sure, but not €9 a pint nice!

It's an import that is around 7% so is probably normally sold as 2/3 of a pint at around €6. The couple of times I've been in Farringtons I've found it an expensive enough bar but it's not a huge amount above what I'd expect for Modus Hoperandi in a bar

Picked up 2 Buried at Sea and two Odell's 90 Shilling for this evening. Simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Finishing off my Porterhouse hopheads.
    It's a very good beer actually. Not overpowering and just right.
    It's easy to forget it exists as do many beers out there now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had another Of Foam and Fury this evening - punchy but there are still other beers I'd take ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Drinking an Otterbank Farami at the mo from an L Mulligan Grocer growler. Delicious stuff, gorgeous smokey aroma, loaded with dark malts. Looking forward to what these guys do next.
    Growlers rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

slayerking wrote: »
    Drinking an Otterbank Farami at the mo from an L Mulligan Grocer growler. Delicious stuff, gorgeous smokey aroma, loaded with dark malts. Looking forward to what these guys do next.
    Growlers rule!

How much are and how much in a growler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Hey lads, where's the best place for good value micro brews (off license) eg. 4 or 5 for €10 or whatever. Full price can be fairly steep. Any places good for weekly specials?

Depends where you get it.

The L Mulligan Grocer one is 2 pints, the JW Sweetman one is 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hey lads, where's the best place for good value micro brews (off license) eg. 4 or 5 for €10 or whatever. Full price can be fairly steep. Any places good for weekly specials?

Drinkstore in Stoneybatter have a bargain bin where anything in it is €1 a bottle.
    I got some stuff there in the bin recently that was well out of date but it was still fine and tasted great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the JW Sweetman one is 4
    3.7. I checked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've no idea what you're talking about, I am presuming it's not the Urban Dictionary or Bo'Selecta definition :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Moving swiftly on...

Founders Porter is finally available in at least one Limerick offie, and it's lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Moving swiftly on...

so what does it mean then?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    so what does it mean then?

It's a large bottle/jug for taking home draught beer.

Founders Porter is finally available in at least one Limerick offie, and it's lovely!

I agree - great beer, as is their All Day IPA.

I have some Breakfast Stout and Dirty Bastard in my stash at home. I will slowly but surely make my way to them over the next few months.

DB is as good a representation of the "Scotch Ale" genre as I've tasted (Williams Brother's 80 Shilling, Odell's 90 Shilling are the others I'd compare it to, both are awesome, and DB is up there - it's quite a bit stronger though).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Depends where you get it.

The L Mulligan Grocer one is 2 pints, the JW Sweetman one is 4

I picked up a growler on a recent trip to Australia and wondering if anyone has asked for a fill in any other bars besides Mulligans & Sweetmans? The one i have is 2L - Anyone have an opinion on the price of a fill for it?

Thanks!
    :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

sarahn11 wrote: »
    I picked up a growler on a recent trip to Australia and wondering if anyone has asked for a fill in any other bars besides Mulligans & Sweetmans? The one i have is 2L - Anyone have an opinion on the price of a fill for it?

Thanks!
    :cool:

A lot of bars probably won't do it because they won't have a button on their tills for it so it would mess up their stock take (unless you're willing to pay full price).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

irish_goat wrote: »
    A lot of bars probably won't do it because they won't have a button on their tills for it so it would mess up their stock take (unless you're willing to pay full price).

I thought it required a special license or vaguely remember Mulligans mentioning something like that when they first set it up.

I think some of the Galway Bay (Brew Dock, Black Sheep etc) pubs will fill Growlers but I don't know if they do a discount on the price

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

matrim wrote: »
    I thought it required a special license or vaguely remember Mulligans mentioning something like that when they first set it up.

I think some of the Galway Bay (Brew Dock, Black Sheep etc) pubs will fill Growlers but I don't know if they do a discount on the price

Well as far as I know an on license automatically includes an off license i.e. every pub in the country can sell take away beers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement