Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

Dutch Gold this week. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the rich aftertaste and subtle favouring of this fine brew. Best had under a bridge with mates straight out of the can at room temp. 9/10 would recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just seen this video posted on the Sierra Nevada FB page and thought it was pretty cool.

Basically it's a timelapse video of the 2014 Bigfoot fermenting. Actually surprised to see them using open fermenters, but then again if you're brewing something with such a high ABV maybe it's not a problem.

Can anyone explain the rollercoaster nature of the krausen produced in the beer in this video, as a home brewer this confuses me. Afaik it is add yeast, wait a day or so and see a big krasen then watch it dissapear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like Rochefort 10, but it really is 2 too many :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Seaneh wrote: »
    Had a bottle of the Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter 2012. Essentially a really nice stout possible made worse with the smoked malt. Long bitter finish (like dark chocolate) along with the smokiness. I'm guessing the style just isn't for me, even if this does seem to be a good example.

I'm not a fan of smoked beers in general but I thought the Alaskan was amazing myself.

Having mine now. Loving it. :)

Not really worth €13.99, but at least now I can say I've tried it. :pac:

BMJD wrote: »
    White Gypsy Russian Imperial Stout

outstanding :)

Ever since this post, I remembered a beer I had in a hotel in Los Angeles. Rasputin's Imperial Russian Stout. It was right as the news came on saying Jeff Henneman from Slayer had died, so I'm pretty sure I blocked out the whole memory, including the beer, but it was fantastic from what I recall. So now I want a Russian Imperial Stout and from what I remember Courage's one is lovely, so I think I'll pick one up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

On the subject of Russian Imperial Stouts, do Russians have an affinity towards the style given it's history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ever since this post, I remembered a beer I had in a hotel in Los Angeles. Rasputin's Imperial Russian Stout. It was right as the news came on saying Jeff Henneman from Slayer had died, so I'm pretty sure I blocked out the whole memory, including the beer, but it was fantastic from what I recall. So now I want a Russian Imperial Stout and from what I remember Courage's one is lovely, so I think I'll pick one up tomorrow.

I've seen that in my local Safeway, I must check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Dutch Gold this week. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the rich aftertaste and subtle favouring of this fine brew. Best had under a bridge with mates straight out of the can at room temp. 9/10 would recommend!

It's got a taste that demands attention, possibly medical!

Ipso wrote: »
    I've seen that in my local Safeway, I must check it out.

I liked it. I remember it being a little liquoricey, which was fine by me.
    On the subject of Russian Imperial Stouts, do Russians have an affinity towards the style given it's history?

I've always wondered that. There's something on the Courage bottle about it being made in England for a Russian royal, or something. I'd have to read up about it, though, which I probably won't do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've always wondered that. There's something on the Courage bottle about it being made in England for a Russian royal, or something. I'd have to read up about it, though, which I probably won't do :pac:

Apparently it was a style first concocted for the Russian royal family. Although, apart from reading the back of bottles that I've had, I've never read up on it.

The Russians are not renowned for the beer making but I've always wondered about the history of the style in Russia especially in modern times.

• Advertisement

Seems to have been made by the brewery that Courage bought. I wonder how close to the original it is. But yeah, before reading that, I just presumed that back in the day, Russians made some strong-ass stout. As a ladies drink.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have an hour to kill in Dublin. Is there anywhere in the city centre with Amber Ella on draught?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I have an hour to kill in Dublin. Is there anywhere in the city centre with Amber Ella on draught?

Not in months...

Balls. :o

Edit: went to Sweetmans instead for a porter. This stuff is gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I had a bottle of fullers IPA last night which I picked up in centra of all places.
    I thought it was really good.
    Wife is forcing me to go clothes shopping in town today so I'm aiming to go for lunch in yamamori and they normally have hitachino nest white ale. It's great stuff

Reckon I've broken my taste-buds. The "massively hopped" Big Job double IPA, while delicious, doesn't have as much of a kick as I was expecting!

Nah, it's definitely lighter, but still great alright.

My B.A O'Haras LF had gone off after maybe 2 months. Opened it to a strong vinegar smell last night. Stored beside the FW Jamesson which had no problems at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nah, it's definitely lighter, but still great alright.

My B.A O'Haras LF had gone off after maybe 2 months. Opened it to a strong vinegar smell last night. Stored beside the FW Jamesson which had no problems at all.

sounds like the cap failed. Bad luck really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Last night in l.Mulligans I had :

Trouble Galaxy : nice beer maybe a bit too sweet for me.

Fynes Jarl : love the citrus bite and hoppiness.

Bru Rua: very nice beer and nice little hop bite too.

Girlfriend found another bottle from the a Christmas lot she had gotten me but forgot to give me. Goose Island Pepe Nero.

The bottling date was 2011. Large weird flakes in it and it tasted a bit weird so down the sink it went. Ah well.

• Advertisement

Cracked open my second barrel aged Leann Folláin. Enjoying it much more than the first a few months back, but I think I had the temperature wrong with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had Joe Elliot's Louder from the Porterhouse last night, at 11% i was expecting it to be a bit rough but i was pleasantly surprised with it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Opened the 'My Antonio' last night. Imperial Pilsner, wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.

That's it from me for a while now, I need to take a break from drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Finally having the devils half acre. Wow what a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Scortho wrote: »
    Finally having the devils half acre. Wow what a beer.

I wasn't that impressed. Thought the whiskey / alcohol was too strong to really enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 323gtr

4 bottles of Paulaner limited edition pack comes with very nice pint glass.

matrim wrote: »
    I wasn't that impressed. Thought the whiskey / alcohol was too strong to really enjoy it

I can't taste the alcohol! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In Wetherspoons this weekend and they were getting rid of their Christmas casks so I was paying 99p for the Celt Experience Divine Yule saison (5.3%). :D

$_12.JPG

Scortho wrote: »
    I can't taste the alcohol! :eek:

I mightn't have been able to taste the alcohol in it but feck I can feel it now. :p

Irish goat that's a great feckin deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

750ml bottle of Bellerose de Noel.
    2 sips in and I immediately regret this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement