Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

Bottle of Hobgoblin for tonight! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

In Spain, sipping on some Izaguirre red vermouth at the moment. A morning drink for most but I'll have it any time.

In recent days I've had N'ice Chouffe, a nice Belgian Christmas ale that really hides its 10.5% ABV well. A good deal at €3.50 a pint in a fantastic Irish bar in Valladolid. I was amused to see that the barkeep had Porterhouse Celebration on tap too. I also had a Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter, which really packed a punch - not as dry as expected though, which was pleasing.

I've also had some Cruzcampo Gran Reserva, which is entirely drinkable, and some tins of Pilsner Urquell.

Off to the local purveyor of bottled ales to buy some local brews tomorrow, then to Toledo, home of my favourite Spanish beer, Domus Aurea - an outrageously hoppy pale ale - on Wedesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

O'Hara's DIPA. I can see why people were let down by this if they were expecting an American hop-bomb of a thing, and I can also see how that would be reasonable considering its name. Still though, it's a very tasty beer, and to have an Irish beer of this quality readily available in bottles is a very good thing. Of Foam and Fury it isn't, but good it is.
    All the same, I think I preferred it on keg, but that was a long time ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bush de Noel in The Abbot's, cork.

It's very nice but what is most entertaining is watching people get a bit caught out by its 12% whack. A lot of people are "Bushed" after about 3 half pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 323gtr

700ml bottle of smirnoff and 2 litres of coke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 323gtr

that reminds me better log out before i get banned lol

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ever since this post, I remembered a beer I had in a hotel in Los Angeles. Rasputin's Imperial Russian Stout. It was right as the news came on saying Jeff Henneman from Slayer had died, so I'm pretty sure I blocked out the whole memory, including the beer, but it was fantastic from what I recall. So now I want a Russian Imperial Stout and from what I remember Courage's one is lovely, so I think I'll pick one up tomorrow.
    Old Rasputin by North Coast brewing? That's like the gold standard of Russian Imperial Stouts for me. Or would be if it would be available here....

Not to be confused with Rasputin by De Molen, also a RIS. And which might have been even better when I tried it, after aging it 3 or so years...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah, it was the North Coast one, but I'm almost positive the guy gave me a pint of it cause I was nursing it for the best part of an hour. The hotel had a lot of craft beers and the guy had to check the prices and stuff and seem to think I wouldn't like that it was 7 dollars or something.

All I can really remember was that I had it and it was really great.

I had a 0.355 bottle in Turku, Finland for 10€ last summer so that's not too bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 matthew dcu student 2013

My name is Matthew i am currently a student in DCU studying digital marketing i am doing work on online communities. I have been conducting my research over the past six and a half weeks. One of the reasons i chose your community was that i am a major fan of craft beer, i have had experiences in america working in craft beer bars and enjoyed getting to sample many different kinds.

Before conducting my research i felt i knew a lot about craft beer, little did i know that actually i was a complete novice. Over the last six weeks i have really enjoyed getting to follow some of your recommendations on new beers. I have found your community very helpful and very interesting.
    i would like to extend my back dated thanks to all of you and i hope you do not mind that i have been lurking in the shadows :)

i am currently enjoying a sierra neveda indian pale ale in celebration
    "cheers" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Kona Pipeline Porter, nice and very drinkable but it could do with a bit more punch. One review I read described it as wimpy, probably a bit harsh but not too far off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Beasty.

Ipso wrote: »
    Kona Pipeline Porter, nice and very drinkable but it could do with a bit more punch. One review I read described it as wimpy, probably a bit harsh but not too far off the mark.

white Gypo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I finally got around to opening the big bottle of White Gypsy Russian Imperial Stout. It's a lovely, lovely drink. :)

From what I've tried of these great dark drinks so far, I'd rank it:
    behind the Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and Sierra Nevada's Narwhal,
    but ahead of To Øl Black Ball Porter, O'Hara's Barrel Aged Leann Folláin, Porterhouse's Celebration Stout and even the Alaskan Smoked Porter.

I'm still saving the Fran Well Jameson Stout and the Bourbon County in reserve for special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I finally got around to opening the big bottle of White Gypsy Russian Imperial Stout. It's a lovely, lovely drink. :)

From what I've tried of these great dark drinks so far, I'd rank it:
    behind the Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and Sierra Nevada's Narwhal,
    but ahead of To Øl Black Ball Porter, O'Hara's Barrel Aged Leann Folláin, Porterhouse's Celebration Stout and even the Alaskan Smoked Porter.

I'm still saving the Fran Well Jameson Stout and the Bourbon County in reserve for special occasions.

I never got around to drinking my Fran Well Jameson Stout over Christmas so, like yourself, I'll just have to keep it for a special occasion.

As an aside, this thread has been very quiet this week. Everyone must be recovering after Christmas. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Heroditas wrote: »
    As an aside, this thread has been very quiet this week. Everyone must be recovering after Christmas. :D

Ha, I was thinking the same thing!

No beers for me this weekend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Ha, I was thinking the same thing!

No beers for me this weekend either.

The beers I had I already reviewed.

Being drinking Dead Pony and Porterhouse Pale ale over the last 10 days or so.

Looking forward to Of Foam and Fury in bottles.
    Going to criticize it to wind up Seaneh.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Im going to complain its too expensive, regardless of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm gonna make excuses for the high cost and claim that in spite of the cost it's good value.

I actually don't like it, so when I buy it and post that I've poured it down the sink that will be legitimate.

:pac:

My holiday top beers:
    1. Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
    2. Goose Island Madame Rose 2010
    3. Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus
    4. Founders Backwoods Bastard
    5. Westvleteren XII
    6. 8 Wired Saison Sauvin
    7. Porterhouse Devils Halfacre
    8. Galway Bay Of Foam & Fury

Topped by two InBev beers, kinda uncomfortable with that but whatever.

Anyone else tried the Cuvee Rene Kriek? The Cuvee Rene Gueuze is excellent and suits my palate well, but I found the Kriek aggressively tart to the extent of being very vinegary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm going to do a blind taste against a bottle of Hoptimum, and find that Hoptimum is a better balanced beer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I aim to seek out some coffee and Oatmeal stout. It's well into winter at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Modus Hoperandi on tap in Farringtons today !

Wish I was in town now!

Farringtons has a really good lineup of beers it seems. Too bad every time I'm about to check it out they have a busker playing Oasis (or similar) in there. That's why I've never had a pint in there.

snowblind wrote: »
    Farringtons has a really good lineup of beers it seems. Too bad every time I'm about to check it out they have a busker playing Oasis (or similar) in there. That's why I've never had a pint in there.

That's their MO, they have live music 7 days a week, from about 5ish on Fridays afaik. Stags and Hens all weekend too.

But.

It's a decent pub, set yourself up at the bar around the far side, or even in the small stools on the raised area near the jacks and you'll be grand, music isn't very loud around there.

There are also some amazingly friendly and knowledgeable bar staff working there.

Go in the next time. :)

Myself and my wife "discovered" it one day about a year ago or so, and love the place.

That's their MO, they have live music 7 days a week, from about 5ish on Fridays afaik. Stags and Hens all weekend too.

But.

It's a decent pub, set yourself up at the bar around the far side, or even in the small stools on the raised area near the jacks and you'll be grand, music isn't very loud around there.

There are also some amazingly friendly and knowledgeable bar staff working there.

Myself and my wife "discovered" it one day about a year ago or so, and love the place.
    It looks too small to be able to escape the noise, if there's crap music I'll continue to avoid but I'll try to pop in earlier some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

But.

I always thought Farringtons to be one of the better bars in Templebar. I know it's like being called the tallest dwarf but I never found it to be as ridiculous as other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was in there (farringtons) for the first time in ages the Friday after Christmas (27th) the busker was there but I thought he was alright, played some non-mainstream songs (Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show) and by sitting the far side he wasn't too loud at all.

Was delighted trying a few of the beers I hadn't got around too - mostly the Kinnegar beers and the Otterbrew Farami and found it wasn't as pricy as I'd feared (most pints €5.40).

I'll definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've always liked Farringtons. Used to drink their a bit before I (and they) were into craft beers. I would've described it as slightly better than the best of a bad bunch for the area.

I was in there over the Christmas for a couple of pints and some grub and enjoyed it as always. Funnily enough we left once the music started, although I can remember if that was the reason we left.

• Advertisement

Opened my Blacks BIPA minikeg. I really like the beer on draught, but the hop notes are almost totally missing on this one. Well that was a waste of money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement