Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 sells 4.2 million units!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I think having to pay for games again is a bit much. But that's not the choice, I can hook up my PS3/2/1 and play any of my old games any time I like. If I didn't own them, or want the convenience of playing them on a new console I have the choice to buy them again, grand.
    For the record, I am a little bummed out Sony didn't offer backwards compatibility, but I understand it would have been a nightmare as the architecture is so different. That and they got seriously stung last time they offered full compatibility. I think it would be a good move if they released a plugin or downloadable emulator for a fee to run disks, because I'd probably buy that, but I don't think they're obligated to offer support for older games. More annoyed at MS tbh, their architecture is very similar, it's probably just a software thing. But again, don't mind all that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RasTa wrote: »
    My UPC will handle it just fine, the rest of your points are a little wayward to the topic on hand.

This is simply for old games that were never coming out on PS4

Your connection might be fine but the typical connection is unlikely to do it.
    It'll depend on the final specs but reports from the CES suggest that even with their custom setup Sony still showed the streaming tech exhibit dropped frames and other artifacts.
    And I'm not picking on Sony, I'm sure MS will try something similar, especially of it makes Sony money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

On a brighter note, the new Dualshock is pretty nice. I like it better than the new Xbox controller.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    On a brighter note, the new Dualshock is pretty nice. I like it better than the new Xbox controller.

I agree 100%. I hated what they did with the Dualshock 3, those triggers were awful.

I agree 100%. I hated what they did with the Dualshock 3, those triggers were awful.

I found racing games in particular ruined by them.
    Hopefully Drive Club is going to kick ass and the new controller will work well.
    Once they don't jam some sixaxis nomsense in there for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The playstation controller was a joke at release as was the dualshock, it's only stockholm syndrome from using it so long that we got used to it. It's a horrible design so thank god they changed it. From what I've played on it it's a massive improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

The last figures I heard was 2.5 million for PS4 and 2.1 million Xbox One which to me looks like a win for Microsoft considering it launched in just 13 markets compares to Sony launching the PS4 in 32.

I'd say the Xbox One sales will spike around the release of Titanfall, which won more awards (6) than any other game in the history of E3. The previous game to hold that title was the PS3's The Last Of Us (5).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The last figures I heard was 2.5 million for PS4 and 2.1 million Xbox One which to me looks like a win for Microsoft considering it launched in just 13 markets compares to Sony launching the PS4 in 32.

I'd say the Xbox One sales will spike around the release of Titanfall, which won more awards (6) than any other game in the history of E3. The previous game to hold that title was the PS3's The Last Of Us (5).

Hype train for this going to go away very soon and grim reality will kick in.
    So far we know: 6vs6 max in multiplayer only game... Revolutionary.

I really really hope MS has more to show then a Titanfall. If they put all their eggs in to titanfall, then there will be a ****storm on horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

When was that? It's 4.2 million PS4's in 48 markets now & 3 million Xbox One's in 13 markets.

Surely some markets are more equal than others, be interesting to see what sort of populations have been exposed to opportunities to buy each machine, after all a market like UAE is not quite equal to, say, Germany.
    Still, it's a good showing by Sony in the end, I'm still hoping for an experience like that of the PS and PS2 rather than the PS3, early on it seemed like they didn't give a rats ass about the consumer when it came to the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

DaLad wrote: »
    When was that? It's 4.2 million PS4's in 48 markets now & 3 million Xbox One's in 13 markets.

This again, you're almost dismissing Sony's numbers due to the amount of markets. It's actually 53 btw

Why haven't MS launched in more countries anyway? They seem to have the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Your connection might be fine but the typical connection is unlikely to do it.
    It'll depend on the final specs but reports from the CES suggest that even with their custom setup Sony still showed the streaming tech exhibit dropped frames and other artifacts.
    And I'm not picking on Sony, I'm sure MS will try something similar, especially of it makes Sony money.

If Sony drops a server* into Inex** it would work for most broadband enabled customers in ireland***. granted the cost would be a bit mental :eek:

But it would work, i tested one of them last year on Eircom 24mb5mb and it was playable, could see its flaws as i was connecting to a US server but the possibility was there.

*badass ****ing server.
    ** directly onto our IP exchange.
    *** handy living in a small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I really really hope MS has more to show then a Titanfall. If they put all their eggs in to titanfall, then there will be a ****storm on horizon.

I spent a couple of hours playing that clicking bad game today, so I don't think 6v6 and multiplayer only is going to bother me if the gameplay which is most important, is as good as people I know who have played it say it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

No, I don't want to pay Sony to play something I have already paid for.
    I already bought all the games I want to play on the PS, PS2 and PS3, if I wish to play them again why should I have to give Sony even more money?
    Same argument works with MS and Ninty, in the former case the Backwards compatibility programme ran out of steam quite quickly, on the 360, with the performance getting quite patchy, try playing Panzer Dragoon Orta on a 360 and see how far you get.
    On the latter I get to buy the same games again and again, although at least there there is something to gain, as the games I am buying are otherwise only available in cartridge format, or they add something like 3D, to make it better value.
    With that last point in mind, I don't mind buying Ico/SotC for the PS3 as it's in HD and 3D, so that's decent value, even though I also have them on the PS2.
    But to have to pay Sony for the privilege of playing them on the PS4?
    If you don't already own them, by all means you should pay, but if you've already invested why pay again?
    Like I said, use the game disk as a key to unlock the streaming content, just like on the 360 an installed game looks for the game disk to allow play to start.

You sort of already answered your own question... why would you buy them again ? You already have them, so why do you care if others have to pay to play them ? Lol Just go play them on your PS1/2/3... Its like saying "Oh... I already own that DVD.. why should i pay netflix to watch it again !"

You really expect them to let you stream games off of their network for free because you bought the game 10 years ago ? Like has been announced, you'll beable to rent individual titles or subscribe to the subscription and get everything... so i don't actually get where you're coming from, you have it don't rent it or and if you have the subscription then whooptie doo ! Like complaining because you have 2 of the games in a humble bundle.

Anyway, seems like a good service to me. Most of my PS1/PS2 games are old ****ty chipped versions that probably don't even work anymore so it'll be cool to beable to play some of those, even more so for games like TLOU and others that i've missed out on that i just cba buying. Depending on the pricetag for the subscription service, it might be excellent when combined with PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No, I don't want to pay Sony to play something I have already paid for.
    I already bought all the games I want to play on the PS, PS2 and PS3, if I wish to play them again why should I have to give Sony even more money?

If you already own them then go play them on the console they're for, Sony arn't coming around to your house and snapping disc you own a game not the right to it in all forms regardless of home much work needs to be done.
    Same argument works with MS and Ninty, in the former case the Backwards compatibility programme ran out of steam quite quickly, on the 360, with the performance getting quite patchy, try playing Panzer Dragoon Orta on a 360 and see how far you get. On the latter I get to buy the same games again and again, although at least there there is something to gain, as the games I am buying are otherwise only available in cartridge format, or they add something like 3D, to make it better value.
    With that last point in mind, I don't mind buying Ico/SotC for the PS3 as it's in HD and 3D, so that's decent value, even though I also have them on the PS2.
    But to have to pay Sony for the privilege of playing them on the PS4?
    If you don't already own them, by all means you should pay, but if you've already invested why pay again?

The physical medium is about the least important aspect of cross platform compatibility.
    Like I said, use the game disk as a key to unlock the streaming content, just like on the 360 an installed game looks for the game disk to allow play to start.

Why would anyone do that, they worked on a game in the past that's what you bought not all their future offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I've no interest in getting a multiplayer only game, but this isn't exactly a fair assessment. In other games, you have the number of people playing and that's it. This has a lot more than that. It has a lot of AI stuff going on in the games too. The games will have more in there than just the 6 v 6. It'll just be that with human players.

http://www.destructoid.com/titanfall-multiplayer-limited-to-12-players-268622.phtml
    Remember, the maps are filled with AI allies and opponents as you're playing, so multiplayer matches do feel like a large scale endeavor.

It's a bit disappointing at first hearing the low player count, but based on my hands-on time with the game this may work out in the best interest for players. The maps are very open, and too many players could potentially make things too frustrating as enemies can literally come at you from any direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Revolution in design isn't simply about upping numbers. It's about new experiences, honing existing ones, deciding what's right for the game in question. After all, one of the most revolutionary and inspired 'multiplayer' games of the last generation - Journey - supported a grand total of two players at a time. That was fundamental to its success. Ditto something like Spy Party.

If anything, it's encouraging Titanfall's designers aren't just piling on the numbers. 64 players works for Battlefield (and it's anarchic, sometimes to a fault), hundreds for some MMOFPS, but each shooter has its own unique style, speed and size. And while I'm not convinced it will be a killer app just yet, all footage I've seen suggests Titanfall at least offers unique twists on those three categories. And really one can imagine the chaos of dozens and dozens of players piloting mechs and parkouring around a map.

Varik wrote: »
    If you already own them then go play them on the console they're for, Sony arn't coming around to your house and snapping disc you own a game not the right to it in all forms regardless of home much work needs to be done.

No, but they are trumpeting a service that offers me nothing.
    Could be just what you're looking for but, for me, its not.

The physical medium is about the least important aspect of cross platform compatibility.

Nope.
    If a device is incapable of reading the media then its kind of important.
    The reason why I am happy to spend money on a NES game for the VC on the Wii is partly because there is no other way to play it.
    No cartridge slot, after all.

Why would anyone do that, they worked on a game in the past that's what you bought not all their future offerings.
    Well, its a short ride from that position to accepting the E3 position of MS, why assume you have perpetual rights to a game just because you bought it?
    You are into the territory that you only ever "own" the licence to use it in limited circumstances.
    Sell it on? Nope.
    If you enter the deal and are happy to subscribe, paying Sony to use their library of games then grand, but it if you've already paid them and there's no real reason why you shouldn't be allowed have free access to the streaming of those games you already own, there's a problem.
    This is the original Xbox One games model by the backdoor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Nope.
    If a device is incapable of reading the media then its kind of important.
    The reason why I am happy to spend money on a NES game for the VC on the Wii is partly because there is no other way to play it.
    No cartridge slot, after all.

Just because the game is on the same media (which it is not in the case of ps2 and ps1) does not mean that the console can easily play those games.

There is no other way to play those games on the ps4 exactly how you can't play cartridges on on the wii.

The ps4 is built on wildly different architecture than previous consoles.

aN.Droid wrote: »
    Just because the game is on the same media (which it is not in the case of ps2 and ps1) does not mean that the console can easily play those games.

There is no other way to play those games on the ps4 exactly how you can't play cartridges on on the wii.

The ps4 is built on wildly different architecture than previous consoles.

Honestly. Regarding the first line, I know this.
    The purpose of the streaming tech is that the processing occurs off site.
    The bluray drive is capable of reading data from both CD and DVD formats
    Therefore it's more than capable of authenticating such games.
    Look, apologies to the OP, not trawling over this unless a dedicated threat is formed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Look, apologies to the OP, not trawling over this unless a dedicated threat is formed.

An xbox one can read blu ray, cd and dvd also should you automatically get a license to play on that system also?

It would be fair to say it should be free if it was the actual console doing all the work as it costs sony nothing and it is the same console manufacturer but someone has to pay for all that servertime, electricity and bandwidth. Not to mention R&D and what they paid when they bought out gaikai.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They'd have to emulate the hardware. This is far, far from an easy painless process (just try and play games in DOSbox, it's a very hit or miss experience) and you can guarantee a lot of unhappy customers with obscure game Y complaining about glitch or another.

There are two ways to guarantee comparability, putting in the necessary chips into the box so you can actually match the expected hardware (expensive and all consumers pay regardless of whether they want to play PS1 games or not) or port the games to the platform individually and get those who want to play them to pay the cost of it.

Sure it's profit grabbing but it's far from unreasonable for them to charge. The architecture of the previous generation alone made ports to PC very awkward, you're looking at essentially PC hardware in the new gen so again you'll not have an easy time porting games over or emulating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the gap in sales will only widen, most of those who want an Xbone will have it at this stage, there's still massie demand for the ps4, especially those who are waiting for Watchdogs & DriveClub

nesf wrote: »
    They'd have to emulate the hardware. This is far, far from an easy painless process (just try and play games in DOSbox, it's a very hit or miss experience) and you can guarantee a lot of unhappy customers with obscure game Y complaining about glitch or another.

There are two ways to guarantee comparability, putting in the necessary chips into the box so you can actually match the expected hardware (expensive and all consumers pay regardless of whether they want to play PS1 games or not).

Once again...
    The processing is happening off site.
    Where did the fantasy that the PS4 should be handling emulation come from.
    Never said that.
    I reckon the PS4 can read a PS, PS2 or PS3 disk enough to authenticate that its the genuine article and so allow access to the streamed version of the game.
    Where this talk of extra chips and such came from I don't know.

If they are streaming games as sophisticated as PS3 titles, why bother with a console at home at all?
    Why not do all the processing off site for all games, with an interface at home and your PSN account keeping track of your permissions and licences.
    Or maybe that's the idea, down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If they are streaming games as sophisticated as PS3 titles, why bother with a console at home at all?
    Why not do all the processing off site for all games, with an interface at home and your PSN account keeping track of your permissions and licences.

Huh?

They obviously need a console for PS4 games as they can't be streamed. For example the new Bravia TV's can sync up with the PS4 pad. So you can play direct on your TV etc. Genius from Sony

I still don't get what you don't like about this. It's not affecting next gen in any way possible, just making their whole catalogue backwards compatible on multiple systems.

How exactly could the PS4 read a PS1 game too, it's not a CD player. That sounds like trying to play blue-ray's on a DVD player and are scamming you because you bought the movie on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Once again...
    Never said that.
    I reckon the PS4 can read a PS, PS2 or PS3 disk enough to authenticate that its the genuine article and so allow access to the streamed version of the game.

Again, I don't understand your objection. There is absolutely no precedent for free streaming of games to be provided, or anything remotely resembling this. They're not deactivating PS1s, 2s and 3s and you can hook one up to a TV and play your games. What you're asking for is to have your cake and eat it (i.e. not pay for server or bandwidth for the service you want), sure you can ask for that but you don't really get to call Sony unreasonable for not giving it to you.

If they made it the only way to play old titles (impossible but there have been analogies to this with software on PC and forced migration to new purchases) then yeah I could understand your point but right now, no.

RasTa wrote: »

How exactly could the PS4 read a PS1 game too, it's not a CD player. That sounds like trying to play blue-ray's on a DVD player and are scamming you because you bought the movie on DVD.

The Bluray drive on the PS4 can read both CDs and DVDs.
    That's the only prerequisite for reading the line of data of them.
    Both PS and PS2 games have a small amount of code that authenticates the game.
    This does not require emulation or anything else.

And just to clear things up.
    Yes,
    I can see lots of things about the streaming service that is very positive.
    I can see a lot of people experiencing game they've never owned or played before.
    I was simply pointing out a particular facet of the plan that I had a problem with.
    Overall the idea of a Sony run Netflix for games is a great idea and while i might not use it I can see beyond my own requirements and see the innovation for others.
    So please, don't assume I have anything like an anti Sony agenda.
    I have had more good times playing Sony hardware than anyone else's, and Nintendo and Sega will have to forgive for that.

The Last Guardian FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

the gap in sales will only widen, most of those who want an Xbone will have it at this stage, there's still massie demand for the ps4, especially those who are waiting for Watchdogs & DriveClub

Well there's plenty in stock now for most people who want it at the moment:

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=122%2F2540

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=144%2F7947

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A tiny fraction of the people who intend on getting the PS4 or One has one right now. That's kind of the nature of it being only a few months after release.

• Advertisement

Once again...
    Never said that.

So what you are saying is that because you bought a game for a previous console, Sony should now have to pay to stream that game to you on your new console? I disagree, I think that's an entirely unreasonable request on your part.

Advertisement