Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 sells 4.2 million units!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The payment method is entirely speculative at the moment.
    Subscription and pay to play models have both been mentioned.
    If I wind up subscribing to the whole enchilada the issue of paying/not paying will be moot, as I will have access to the full library.
    If the deal here winds up being pay to play, then the argument is more pertinent.
    I'm not the only one to feel somewhat disappointed here
    http://www.businessinsider.com/you-can-play-old-playstation-games-on-the-ps4-2014-1

So, in an ideal world I should not have to pay to stream games as I have already payed that company for the privilege to play their games, if those games are delivered in an unaltered form.
    But this isn't an ideal world so I do have to pay.
    Personally, should the subscription model be the one introduced, I will more than likely be paying it.
    I'm interested to see if it's tiered, if it will cost more to stream later titles, will there be a individualised payment scheme for each generation, will games only be available for a limited time etc.
    There are lots more questions than the issue I initially raised.

And, no, I won't be correcting anyone, it only seems to lead to a heightening of tension and unpleasantness. We are all gamers together after all, plenty of casual players of EA games out there to abuse instead! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The payment method is entirely speculative at the moment.
    Subscription and pay to play models have both been mentioned.
    If I wind up subscribing to the whole enchilada the issue of paying/not paying will be moot, as I will have access to the full library.
    If the deal here winds up being pay to play, then the argument is more pertinent.
    I'm not the only one to feel somewhat disappointed here
    http://www.businessinsider.com/you-can-play-old-playstation-games-on-the-ps4-2014-1

So, in an ideal world I should not have to pay to stream games as I have already payed that company for the privilege to play their games, if those games are delivered in an unaltered form.
    But this isn't an ideal world so I do have to pay.
    Personally, should the subscription model be the one introduced, I will more than likely be paying it.
    I'm interested to see if it's tiered, if it will cost more to stream later titles, will there be a individualised payment scheme for each generation, will games only be available for a limited time etc.
    There are lots more questions than the issue I initially raised.

And, no, I won't be correcting anyone, it only seems to lead to a heightening of tension and unpleasantness. We are all gamers together after all, plenty of casual players of EA games out there to abuse instead! :)

My assumption right now RE: payment plans is that it will probably be genre based or publisher based. I.E. pay to stream all the cod games or pay to stream all the EA games.

That's just an assumption though. I am looking forward to hearing the full story. Either way I have no problem paying a significant amount of money if it unlocks an equally significant backlog of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

aN.Droid wrote: »
    Can I make a friendly suggestion before I make my reply to the above post. Please format your posts better. It is very hard to read a long post in your posting style.

As for your post contents itself. You say it is not like wanting a dvd when you have a vhs but it is exactly like that.

Your last statement lets us know that this is a business making new profit streams. That is exactly what it is. They have paid millions in R&D and equipment to make a profit eventually. They will not give you something for free when it costs them just by you opening the game in bandwidth.

Again, nothing is stopping you play on your older consoles.

Well, thanks for the friendly suggestion.
    The only reason the posts wind up lengthy is that people seem to be asking the same question, again and again, I have answered it, again and again, but people ask again anyway.
    This is probably my fault, I don't know :(

I assume the games for streaming won't be HD, 3D, upscaled, format altered in anyway. So, should you pay Netflix for a service on one device and then ask for more money from you to watch on another improved device, but the media lacks any use of the players improvement, I'm sure you'd be aggrieved to spend any more.
    Look, it's a moot point really, seeing as it's not going to happen, Sony have said so, end of.

Yup, they've spent a lot to buy the hard work of Gakai and the tech, and they were always doing so as an investment, I'm not sure streaming old games is going to make it for them, I have a feeling they have something else in mind, like streaming Indie titles and later full games, meaning you'll be buying a licence to play content rather than owning a game outright, but this is simple speculation on my part and may never happen.

And lastly, yes, I can play them on my old consoles for free and will continue to do so.
    60 consoles and counting!

Can we move on now?
    I fully understand what you are saying, and the others who disagree, I'd rather not have to respond to this again, but when I'm asked something I feel compelled to start typing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually think disc verification may cause a few hurdles of its own. Most obviously, it's impossible for Vita or TVs :) Also would be curious to see if the PS4 even has the capability of identifying PS1 and PS2 discs as unique games rather than just generic CD and DVDs, and whether it has all the same copy protection built in. I'm sure that these are engineerable features if needed, but again these discs were never made for this purpose and Id say at the very least there'd be some notable workarounds required to implement the features. Indeed, I'm pretty sure the PS3 was the first PS console to actually identify games from the home screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I actually think disc verification may cause a few hurdles of its own. Most obviously, it's impossible for Vita or TVs :) Also would be curious to see if the PS4 even has the capability of identifying PS1 and PS2 discs as unique games rather than just generic CD and DVDs, and whether it has all the same copy protection built in. I'm sure that these are engineerable features if needed, but again these discs were never made for this purpose.

It's a moot point anyway, server running costs and bandwidth costs are involved in you playing a game being streamed to your PS4. Owning the original or not doesn't make any difference in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    {...}

I assume the games for streaming won't be HD, 3D, upscaled, format altered in anyway. So, should you pay Netflix for a service on one device and then ask for more money from you to watch on another improved device, but the media lacks any use of the players improvement, I'm sure you'd be aggrieved to spend any more.
    Look, it's a moot point really, seeing as it's not going to happen, Sony have said so, end of.

{...}

I think it boils down to the fact that you are paying for the service of streaming your game (available from any PS4, wont be damaged, etc) rather than re-buying the game itself.
    As for why I keep replying to your posts, it's largely because I don't fully understand your position, hence why I tried to clarify it in my last post.

And with that hugs all round!

I actually think disc verification may cause a few hurdles of its own. Most obviously, it's impossible for Vita or TVs :) Also would be curious to see if the PS4 even has the capability of identifying PS1 and PS2 discs as unique games rather than just generic CD and DVDs, and whether it has all the same copy protection built in. I'm sure that these are engineerable features if needed, but again these discs were never made for this purpose and Id say at the very least there'd be some notable workarounds required to implement the features. Indeed, I'm pretty sure the PS3 was the first PS console to actually identify games from the home screen?

Ah, I never thought of that.... if I had brains I'd be dangerous.
    No way to authenticate the individual games, only to know it's a genuine PS game, but it could be any game.
    Bugger.
    Well that's my argument out the window.
    Fewer hugs this time and more manly pats on the back I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,866 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

From my time, eh, modifying games... each game on the PS1 and PS2 has a uniquw identifier that shows what game it is and what region it's from and in some cases what version of the game it is. It's definitely read by the PS2 because hacking that was the first way people found to do the hard disk mod. However that's all it does, there's nothig to differentiate one disc of the same game and region from the other.

Advertisement