Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 sells 4.2 million units!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Seriously, if anyone is waiting for a PS4 and they have to wait several months, just use that time to save a little extra and get yourself a PC, much better in every single way. CHeaper in the long run too as games are at least half the price!
    For the foreseeable, what with console not having good exclusives, the PC is better yes. At some point, the consoles will have exclusives to make them worth owning. Take a person who only gets one console, and isn't going to get the other. They aren't realistically going to get a good PC and a console.

They know they want the console, so they'll not get the PC. This thing where a person has to suggest a PC is kinda sad, honestly. It isn't as if anyone here is unaware of the arguments. They are either convincing to a person and they'll go with it, or they aren't. It isn't new information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Pushtrak wrote: »
    For the foreseeable, what with console not having good exclusives, the PC is better yes. At some point, the consoles will have exclusives to make them worth owning. Take a person who only gets one console, and isn't going to get the other. They aren't realistically going to get a good PC and a console.

They know they want the console, so they'll not get the PC. This thing where a person has to suggest a PC is kinda sad, honestly. It isn't as if anyone here is unaware of the arguments. They are either convincing to a person and they'll go with it, or they aren't. It isn't new information.

Hey, you're right! Let's not talk about anything ever again as it's probably already been discussed elsewhere! :rolleyes:

Hey, you're right! Let's not talk about anything ever again as it's probably already been discussed elsewhere! :rolleyes:
    Talk about it sure, but it isn't going to make anyone think "Wow I never thought about that" for instance. I didn't say not to talk about it. I suggested a reason why doing so might not have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't believe the 'sales' figures from both Sony and Microsoft. Sony and MS pull this stunt everytime they release something.

Sony and Microsoft quote shipped figures as sales figures. They are sales for Sony and MS but they aren't retail sales.

TIME article
    Today, House said the number of systems sold-through — that is, purchased by consumers, not just shipped to stores — has doubled, surpassing 4.2 million units worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Don't forget tho guys that the PS4 is in nearly double the markets the Xbox One is in.

Also, there are currently 5+ PS4's in Argos Blanchardstown for anyone interested.
    http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=122%2F2540

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

DaLad wrote: »
    Don't forget tho guys that the PS4 is in nearly double the markets the Xbox One is in.

Means nothing tbh, xbox wouldn't sell in those markets anyway.

Both consoles have great numbers, Sony with 40% more sales seems right down to price.

Very surprised it's still sold out on amazon.com and co.uk

Those PS4's in Blanch are now sold out btw, just took 10mins.

RasTa wrote: »
    Means nothing tbh, xbox wouldn't sell in those markets anyway.

I doubt you can really say that.

The Xbox 360 sold 80 million Worldwide including even 1.5million in Japan as of 2011.

Just stating the facts that PS4 is now sold in 48 markets (more than I even thought) whilst Xbox One is sold in just 13.

Thought I read somewhere its 32 for the PS4.

Thought I read somewhere its 32 for the PS4.

It was at launch but they quickly added 16 more markets in December:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-13-ps4-launches-in-16-new-markets

Scenes similar to Black Friday in the U.S ensued:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The type of gamer that gets a woody from this kind of news is not the type of gamer I'd be interested in spending time with.
    Who bloody cares ?
    Both machines sold millions.
    Great.
    Both consoles had a very successful launch.
    Wonderful.
    Does this mean our lives, even our gaming hobby is going to transformed in some way?
    No, no it won't.
    Until the revolutionary games turn up its just an elaborate paper weight.
    Just like nearly every console that came before.

• Advertisement

I doubt you can really say that.

The Xbox 360 sold 80 million Worldwide including even 1.5million in Japan as of 2011.

Just stating the facts that PS4 is now sold in 48 markets (more than I even thought) whilst Xbox One is sold in just 13.

It's a weak point though(which you brought up btw), it's still sold out almost everywhere in Europe and the US. Where as the xbox is available everywhere

PS4 hasn't even released in Japan yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Japan seems to be more interested in the Vita TV than the PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The type of gamer that gets a woody from this kind of news is not the type of gamer I'd be interested in spending time with.
    Who bloody cares ?
    Both machines sold millions.
    Great.
    Both consoles had a very successful launch.
    Wonderful.
    Does this mean our lives, even our gaming hobby is going to transformed in some way?
    No, no it won't.
    Until the revolutionary games turn up its just an elaborate paper weight.
    Just like nearly every console that came before.

M8, will you stop with this stuff already.

M8, will you stop with this stuff already.

With what?
    Honestly what is the problem?
    This isn't the first time I've been around spurious launch sales figures.
    And I'm not the only person to point this out.
    I have no issue with anyone who has one of either recently launched machine.
    Browned off with the suggestion I've an agenda.
    So, tell me, what is my agenda then, seeing as you are so quick to point out I have one.

With what?
    Honestly what is the problem?
    This isn't the first time I've been around spurious launch sales figures.
    And I'm not the only person to point this out.
    I have no issue with anyone who has one of either recently launched machine.
    Browned off with the suggestion I've an agenda.
    So, tell me, what is my agenda then, seeing as you are so quick to point out I have one.

This. Just stop it.

Who bloody cares ?
    They're both doing fine, and people should care to that point. If a system isn't doing so well, developers aren't going to want to develop games for it. That isn't an issue here, so it's moot. I want to see the consoles sell well, but that'd be about it.

Is there a major difference in the online experience between the two machines, as there was in the previous gen, will this be a factor in Destiny I wonder?
    Sorry to be of topic there.
    Also, any idea when the two will finally launch in China, I imagine it'll be fascinating to see how a market hitherto living on counterfeit software respond to devices that, for now, demand expensive original software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I spoke to staff in two different gamestops and both reckoned ps4's were outselling xbox ones 3 to 1. Both shops had plenty of xbox one stock. One girl told me she reckoned the ps4 shortages could be really bad for a few months due to 22nd Feb release in Japan.

Definitely advantage Sony at this stage. I'm sure both will be a success in the end. Sony will take the crown though. My only sore point is that I'll likely have to buy both to avoid missing out on really good exclusives for the next 5 years.

Is there a major difference in the online experience between the two machines, as there was in the previous gen, will this be a factor in Destiny I wonder?
    Sorry to be of topic there.
    Also, any idea when the two will finally launch in China, I imagine it'll be fascinating to see how a market hitherto living on counterfeit software respond to devices that, for now, demand expensive original software.

I dont think we will see PS4 and Xbox in China legally any time soon. The "new Law" on console ban lift is not really clear and strong.

http://kotaku.com/hold-your-horses-dont-get-excited-about-consoles-in-c-1496933245

They're both doing fine, and people should care to that point. If a system isn't doing so well, developers aren't going to want to develop games for it. That isn't an issue here, so it's moot. I want to see the consoles sell well, but that'd be about it.

Certainly the lack of decent third party content did for the DC and contributed to the unpopularity of the GC. Hoping the WiiU picks up this year.
    But I don't think there's any chance the PS4 and Xbox One will be undersupported at all.
    That said, given that MS developed the Indie dev scene on consoles they seem to be going out of their way to crap on that success while Sony have learned from the 360 and have cemented good relations with the Indie scene to their benefit.

• Advertisement

I dont think we will see PS4 and Xbox in China legally any time soon. The "new Law" on console ban lift is not really clear and strong.

http://kotaku.com/hold-your-horses-dont-get-excited-about-consoles-in-c-1496933245

The grey market will prevail so, I presume the HK marketplace isn't covered by the ban.
    I got my Dreamcast and PSP from there, days after their respective japanese launches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Praetorian wrote: »
    Definitely advantage Sony at this stage. I'm sure both will be a success in the end. Sony will take the crown though. My only sore point is that I'll likely have to buy both to avoid missing out on really good exclusives for the next 5 years.

I never get this console war thing at all, PS fans seem to think its a sprint while MS know its a marathon.

For the troll though, if you were to extrapolate MS sales figures into the same territories as PS4 are currently selling in guess what happens to the MS sales figures yep 5.1 mill give or take :P:P:P:P

I'm fairly certain MS aren't worried in any way shape or form.

And was I trolling?
    I wasn't, certainly didn't want to appear to be doing so.
    Sorry to all.

RasTa wrote: »
    It's a weak point though(which you brought up btw), it's still sold out almost everywhere in Europe and the US. Where as the xbox is available everywhere

PS4 hasn't even released in Japan yet.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe that's WHY the Xbox One is more readily available?

Btw, it's no secret that the PS4 is definitely more dominant in Ireland. Playstation have always had a strong hold here so stating 3:1 in Ireland isn't saying anything about Global figures. (Which is the topic)

The grey market will prevail so, I presume the HK marketplace isn't covered by the ban.
    I got my Dreamcast and PSP from there, days after their respective japanese launches.

There was a good article on Kotoku where they showed how Video game industry works in China. Its such a grey area, that it is almost unbelievable until you see the pictures/videos.
    There is no such thing as a Legal versions on consoles and games. You pretty much buy your PS3 for example and then go make a deal what sort of games will be on its HDD.

Its a very unique video game area. I dont know if any of those sales would be counted in at all as most likely all those consoles gone in to country from other countries or "borrowed" from some of the China Factories.

Edit: Was ages since I read it. A huge part of it is pure imports actually too. Still a good read.

http://kotaku.com/how-to-buy-games-in-china-1238551167

http://kotaku.com/5883693/boy-is-chinas-illegal-gray-market-blatant/

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe that's WHY the Xbox One is more readily available?

Btw, it's no secret that the PS4 is definitely more dominant in Ireland. Playstation have always had a strong hold here so stating 3:1 in Ireland isn't saying anything about Global figures. (Which is the topic)

Do you want to have a €100 bet on sales figures by the end of 2014? I think it will be out everywhere by then

We are kinda tripping over Xbox One consoles at the most while PS4s are like hens teeth.
    But, in the long haul, this may not matter.
    The Wii was the hottest thing for a couple of Christmases but this did not continue indefinitely or ultimately make a difference to the massive game attachment rate to the PS3 and 360, while a lot if folk with the precious Wii only ever played Wii Sports on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

You think MS want Ones sitting on shelves?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Otacon wrote: »

Interesting. I guess it shows how confident Sony are in their sales if they are actually quoting actual retail sales because Sony never do that. The fact that they got that many machines manufactured and sold is amazing. Microsoft however I'd say are still quoting shipped figures.

At least Time did some actual journalism there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Just had a quick look at amazon.co.uk for both consoles. At the moment the PS4 has '1 in stock' whereas the Xbox1 is 'in stock'. While its not a definitive, it does at least indicate to me that the PS4 is a scarcer. This could be because it is selling more units or it could be because there is simply fewer PS4's available.

Advertisement