Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 sells 4.2 million units!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It could simply mean that the Xbox supply chain is better, more capable of responding to demand.
    But I doubt it, the PS4 seems to have captured the hearts of the early adopter.
    But the race is long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And was I trolling?
    I wasn't, certainly didn't want to appear to be doing so.
    Sorry to all.

I didn't think you were trolling, there is a certain element of glee that some are getting from the fact sony have sold more its like a one upmanship with a football team (my team did better than yours) but i suppose that was more from the OP.

There is good and bad from these numbers though, 1. Microsoft will hopefully have been taught a very valuable lesson on communication and not alienating you core customer base, 2. sony if not careful could become as complacent as microsoft.

Fundamentally however this isnt really over, the purchases so far have been early adopters it remains to be seen how both competitors far in the short-medium term depending on the games and exclusives they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The way I see it, both made as many as they possibly could manage. The PS4 is just in higher demand if it's sold out everywhere and the xbox isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Calhoun wrote: »
    I didn't think you were trolling, there is a certain element of glee that some are getting from the fact sony have sold more its like a one upmanship with a football team (my team did better than yours) but i suppose that was more from the OP.

There is good and bad from these numbers though, 1. Microsoft will hopefully have been taught a very valuable lesson on communication and not alienating you core customer base, 2. sony if not careful could become as complacent as microsoft.

Fundamentally however this isnt really over, the purchases so far have been early adopters it remains to be seen how both competitors far in the short-medium term depending on the games and exclusives they have.

Well and some people "think" that those people have a glee that one company did better then other, but in reality those people just like and enjoy talking about numbers, how does the product do, how competition does, what are the factors of one or another shift of sales, what sort of demand and supply situation is and what all this could mean for the future of particular products.

It is really getting really annoying that you cant discuss a single thing in forums any more, because if you dont take a bull**** middle ground and will say good few things about one or another party or bad things about one or another party then you being market as fanboy.
    I have not turned on my PS4 in over week if it will make anyone make feel better. I still play Pc mainly, but I am getting a huge amount of playtime on PS vita due to Persona 4. Even so I still think ( this is my opinion, deal with it ) that PS4 is a better product and it is doing better then competition. Saying that I am still looking forward of owning Xbox one someday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Still don't understand the willy waving that goes on in here.

Surely both consoles doing well is something that everyone should cheers and wish for?

Competition is not just good, it's great. One console dominating sales, and eventually developer market share, would only result in the price of said console and games remaining artificially high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Saying that I am still looking forward of owning Xbox one someday.

Some cheap one coming on Adverts already

€450 with Ghosts and Forza.

http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/xbox-one/4540162

I don't think I'd ever buy one new, too expensive

CatInABox wrote: »

Surely both consoles doing well is something that everyone should cheers and wish for?

Competition is not just good, it's great. One console dominating sales, and eventually developer market share, would only result in the price of said console and games remaining artificially high.

Its not about willy waving ( at least for me ), but about how do the products do.

The reason Xbox One doing worse is clear and in a way is good for consumer. It will mean that MS will have to take finger out and be "good boys" to please consumer. That means Price cut sooner then later, more investment in to games then there would be normally, general "Cop the **** on". Who knows what will happen to Sony now as they know they are "better", maybe they will go 180 in to a Prick mode.
    As you said, competition is great. Talking about how products do is great in my books and I personally dont see it as "willy waving", but I do think that some people miss understand it and see it as fanboism. Now there are Fanboys and there are plenty on all sides. Its just I dont like when everyone are being brushed with one Fanboy colour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly there's been a severe lack of fanboyism in this thread, which is a good thing but also unusual :) Usually launch sales really don't mean much in the grand scheme of things especially in the videogame market but it's always fun to discuss it and speculate on it.

I still think both figures from both companies are shipped rather than sold but Sony is more like 'well we can't keep them in the shops long enough so we can make a pretty good guess' (which it would be) whereas I'm still interested in seeing those retail figures from microsoft or whether they really are sold through figures.

I'd be interested in seeing how the WiiU sold at christmas as well. If it can make 20-25 million sales in 2-3 more years then it could be another Gamecube which I'd be happy with. I'd hate to see it totally fail especially considering it's got some great games on it now. I doubt it will make a comeback like the 3DS at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CatInABox wrote: »

True, I'd say there's a forum for those kinds of perverts elsewhere, possibly in the After Hours dept. ;)

Never a truer word said.

I still have my 3DO, and I still enjoy a blast of Need for Speed and Return Fire on it, but the dream of the creator of that format, Trip Hawkins, was to make the games format.
    Not the best or the worst, but create a standard and that would be it.
    So, imagine the nightmare of there only being one format, or one dominant manufacturer.
    No competition means no one is trying to steal a customer share from anyone else, meaning less innovation.
    You wind up with a stagnant hardware market, or at least one with fewer chances being taken.
    To a certain extent we have suffered this with the emergence of the big developers, EA and Ubisoft, Square/Enix and Capcom, bigger budgets, fewer chances being taken, less innovation as a result.
    The Indie scene is where most of this gens really interesting stuff came from, if not on the consoles themselves but being developed on PC before being released onto the electronic marketplaces of the various machines.

And, to be really really honest, to start cheering for a single format as being the format to own, in anything other than a tongue in cheek manner is juvenile and unsupported by history.
    Consoles really are only as good as the software they host.
    Most big companies develop on middleware, erasing the individual strengths of the host hardware producing games that go for the lowest common denominator in terms of ability.
    This isn't necessarily a bad thing, we got Dark Souls, The Orange Box and GTAV out of this method of game development, and so it will be with the PS4 and Xbox One.

RasTa wrote: »
    Some cheap one coming on Adverts already

€450 with Ghosts and Forza.

http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/xbox-one/4540162

I don't think I'd ever buy one new, too expensive

I did say "some day". ;) Currently when I do own PS4 and Gaming PC there is little point in getting Xbox one. I got my cosnole lazy day fix sorted with ps4 and I got PC as my main gaming platform. Xbox one cannot give me nothing that I cannot get already from my devices. The TV aspect of it is so useless to me as I just dont watch TV at all. I got Netflix and Youtube and internet in general. Game wise I can get everything between Ps4 and PC. for the price it is right now, I wont even get it as a "new shiny tech" thing. I got few quid saved up and Xbox one is not even on the list of stuff I want. Its even sadder when the things on the list are: Wii U, Lego or RC buggy.

• Advertisement

Get a WiiU before the Xbox One, gamers owe to themselves to play Super Mario 3D World

Get a WiiU before the Xbox One, gamers owe to themselves to play Super Mario 3D World

If I will get Wii u, it wont be for some stinky Mario game!!! :pac::D

MONSTER HUNTER 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The reason Xbox One doing worse is clear and in a way is good for consumer. It will mean that MS will have to take finger out and be "good boys" to please consumer. That means Price cut sooner then later, more investment in to games then there would be normally, general "Cop the **** on". Who knows what will happen to Sony now as they know they are "better", maybe they will go 180 in to a Prick mode.

Exactly.

If Sony was not making a PS4, Microsoft would have went through with their original plans of an always on console. The fact that Sony were producing a PS4 meant that consumers had a choice, and even before it was released, it was made clear to Microsoft that such a plan would result in users switching to PS4.

This is one of the many, many benefits of competition, and I expect that the Microsoft that we see over the next two years will be quite different to the Microsoft we saw over the last three years.

As you say, Sony could revert back to being an arrogant company, inconsiderate of their users, and one of the only things that will stop that long term is having a healthy competitive console from Microsoft(or anyone else, for that matter. Still waiting on WiiU ti take off!)
    Its just I dont like when everyone are being brushed with one Fanboy colour

Fair enough, I apologise, I only wanted to tar those who seem to think that the best thing that could happen would be for Microsoft to stop selling consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Seriously, if anyone is waiting for a PS4 and they have to wait several months, just use that time to save a little extra and get yourself a PC, much better in every single way. CHeaper in the long run too as games are at least half the price!

I have a PC, it's in the spare room. I have an X1, it's in the sitting room. I sit in front of the monitor using a keyboard & mouse when playing games on the PC. I lie on the couch using a controller when playing games on the X1. I love gaming both these ways but they are totally different from each other. Consoles belong in the sitting room, PCs belong in the spare room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

I have a PC, it's in the spare room. I have an X1, it's in the sitting room. I sit in front of the monitor using a keyboard & mouse when playing games on the PC. I lie on the couch using a controller when playing games on the X1. I love gaming both these ways but they are totally different from each other. Consoles belong in the sitting room, PCs belong in the spare room.

You can use a controller for pc aswell and plenty of people have pcs hooked up to there main telly.

Well and some people "think" that those people have a glee that one company did better then other, but in reality those people just like and enjoy talking about numbers, how does the product do, how competition does, what are the factors of one or another shift of sales, what sort of demand and supply situation is and what all this could mean for the future of particular products.

It is really getting really annoying that you cant discuss a single thing in forums any more, because if you dont take a bull**** middle ground and will say good few things about one or another party or bad things about one or another party then you being market as fanboy.
    I have not turned on my PS4 in over week if it will make anyone make feel better. I still play Pc mainly, but I am getting a huge amount of playtime on PS vita due to Persona 4. Even so I still think ( this is my opinion, deal with it ) that PS4 is a better product and it is doing better then competition. Saying that I am still looking forward of owning Xbox one someday.

I wasn't targeting my comments at anyone in particular bar the OP, i was just saying i could see the point cider was saying based on some comments by the OP in particular.

I also followed up by pointing out pretty much what you said in your next thread response after this one about Microsoft learning a lessons and Sony possibly becoming complacent.

I also agree with your point on having an opinion on consoles, i have everything from wii to a gaming pc. I went the xbox one route as i saw how sony launched the vita and the pspgo and i am really reluctant to adopt their new platform until i see some decent titles that come out on it.

Especially as this new cloud service they are offering is looking at older games, don't get me wrong its a really cool to offer backwards compatibility but this has been the crutch Sony has fallen back on for its handhelds rather than developing new games.

The xbox one on the other hand is better for my needs as a gaming and media platform it has some really nice features but you really got to wonder if the released it to early or they have branded it all wrong. I personally have a use for the HDMI passthrough as an example but i don't see how others would, why would you want to have multiple things stacked if you didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nolars wrote: »
    You can use a controller for pc aswell and plenty of people have pcs hooked up to there main telly.

I have a controller. A PC works better hooked up to a monitor and I would imagine that about 80% of PC owners have their PC in the spare room.

The reason Xbox One doing worse is clear and in a way is good for consumer. It will mean that MS will have to take finger out and be "good boys" to please consumer. That means Price cut sooner then later, more investment in to games then there would be normally, general "Cop the **** on". r

They need to expand this price cut to their online storefront as well, you can sense a certain level of bravado when you see the price that MS are selling some of the stuff for. Its far cheaper to buy a blu-ray than it is to watch some of the films that seem to be streaming only.

Considering they are trying to convert the masses to a platform that really relies heavily on cloud they really need to price more appropriately.

I don't like the looks of the cloud service at all.
    I have said it elsewhere, I own a considerable PS and PS2 collection so why should I have to buy them it rent them all over again, at the very least allow me to use my game disks as a key to unlock play on the new console.
    But, somehow, I don't think they will :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't like the looks of the cloud service at all.
    I have said it elsewhere, I own a considerable PS and PS2 collection so why should I have to buy them it rent them all over again, at the very least allow me to use my game disks as a key to unlock play on the new console.
    But, somehow, I don't think they will :(

So you want something for nothing, yea that's reasonable.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    So you want something for nothing, yea that's reasonable.

No, I don't want to pay Sony to play something I have already paid for.
    I already bought all the games I want to play on the PS, PS2 and PS3, if I wish to play them again why should I have to give Sony even more money?
    Same argument works with MS and Ninty, in the former case the Backwards compatibility programme ran out of steam quite quickly, on the 360, with the performance getting quite patchy, try playing Panzer Dragoon Orta on a 360 and see how far you get.
    On the latter I get to buy the same games again and again, although at least there there is something to gain, as the games I am buying are otherwise only available in cartridge format, or they add something like 3D, to make it better value.
    With that last point in mind, I don't mind buying Ico/SotC for the PS3 as it's in HD and 3D, so that's decent value, even though I also have them on the PS2.
    But to have to pay Sony for the privilege of playing them on the PS4?
    If you don't already own them, by all means you should pay, but if you've already invested why pay again?
    Like I said, use the game disk as a key to unlock the streaming content, just like on the 360 an installed game looks for the game disk to allow play to start.

I already bought all the games I want to play on the PS, PS2 and PS3, if I wish to play them again why should I have to give Sony even more money?
    Same argument works with MS and Ninty, in the former case the Backwards compatibility programme ran out of steam quite quickly, on the 360, with the performance getting quite patchy, try playing Panzer Dragoon Orta on a 360 and see how far you get.
    On the latter I get to buy the same games again and again, although at least there there is something to gain, as the games I am buying are otherwise only available in cartridge format, or they add something like 3D, to make it better value.
    With that last point in mind, I don't mind buying Ico/SotC for the PS3 as it's in HD and 3D, so that's decent value, even though I also have them on the PS2.
    If you don't already own them, by all means you should pay, but if you've already invested why pay again?
    Like I said, use the game disk as a key to unlock the streaming content, just like on the 360 an installed game looks for the game disk to allow play to start.

This is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Informative post. Would read again.

Pushtrak wrote: »

Same to you, the irony

?
    I'm sorry, what in the post has you thinking that?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Same to you, the irony

39b162fe95be2f724b5c57d708d787fc61fd61f34d615ac30bc60b56f331d2b7.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugh, let's not lower the thread down to this level. Keep it friendly, please.

?
    I'm sorry, what in the post has you thinking that?

Eveything! How can you find fault in this service. To me it's worth paying a fee not to dig out my old PS1 which I'm sure won't even connect to my TV to play some random old game.

I won't be buying many PS3 games on it but the thought of being able to have a quick go of the Last of Us, the first Resident Evil or MGS on my Vita sounds amazing.

As I mentioned I think it will be netflix for PS games and at a similar price point.

Why or how aren't you excited about it?

Tons of reasons.
    The ones described are just a few.
    Our broadband infrastructure is not going to lend itself to this type of thing either.
    To be honest Sony, them all, see us as an exploitable resource stream.
    This service cost them a pretty penny and they, understandably, are going to be looking to make a profit on that investment.
    So they are going to simply not offer possible ways to save money by insisting we pay, again, for games we already own.
    So far just business, I don't like it but it is what it is.
    But think about the tech a little further down the line.
    Think about in terms if what MS were attempting to slip by the consumer.
    Imagine a release on the PS4 that will be, at least partially, reliant on off site processing. Imagine you will slowly find yourself in exactly the model MS were pushing, the signing in to use software, to have the game keyed to your account, and it'll be for all sorts of justifiable reasons because we will have accepted it in the case of playing PS3 games on the PS4.
    And we will have welcomed in the door all that we had been disgusted by when MS tried it.

• Advertisement

Tons of reasons.
    The ones described are just a few.
    Our broadband infrastructure is not going to lend itself to this type of thing either.
    To be honest Sony, them all, see us as an exploitable resource stream.
    This service cost them a pretty penny and they, understandably, are going to be looking to make a profit on that investment.
    So they are going to simply not offer possible ways to save money by insisting we pay, again, for games we already own.
    So far just business, I don't like it but it is what it is.
    But think about the tech a little further down the line.
    Think about in terms if what MS were attempting to slip by the consumer.
    Imagine a release on the PS4 that will be, at least partially, reliant on off site processing. Imagine you will slowly find yourself in exactly the model MS were pushing, the signing in to use software, to have the game keyed to your account, and it'll be for all sorts of justifiable reasons because we will have accepted it in the case of playing PS3 games on the PS4.
    And we will have welcomed in the door all that we had been disgusted by when MS tried it.

My UPC will handle it just fine, the rest of your points are a little wayward to the topic on hand.

This is simply for old games that were never coming out on PS4

Advertisement