Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 sells 4.2 million units!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think that number would be bigger and Xbox one. 3 million number would be smaller if there would more ps4 stock around. I bet there were a lot of Xbox one sold because they could not secure ps4 when wanted.
    I know for sure if I could not get ps4 when . Wanted I would get Xbox one myself.

*awaits to be thrown to a cage with hungry pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Hopefully I get a ps4 by the end of the month ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 323gtr

and i still cant get it. thanks sony for looking after ireland........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever you do don't believe the 'sales' figures from both Sony and Microsoft. Sony and MS pull this stunt everytime they release something.

Sony and Microsoft quote shipped figures as sales figures. They are sales for Sony and MS but they aren't retail sales. Shipped sales are consoles shipped from the manufacturer to retailer warehouses. I very much doubt Sony sold 4+ million PS4's so far. I'd say it's closer to 2.5 million (a very good number) and they are quoting that figure after they shipped the latest batch of consoles to retailers before they are sold at retail. Similarly Microsoft's quote probably isn't taking into account units that are sitting unsold in retail, those would be counted as sold for them.

Sony pulled a similar stunt with the PS3 when it was clogging up game store storerooms and trying to pretend it was selling well.

TL;DR These are shipped and not sold figures so take them with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well considering shops can't keep the PS4 in stock and are selling out as fast as they come in yet you can get an X1 with little trouble I'd believe the Sony figures are far more accurate than MS's in actual sales. I'd say 4 mil PS4s are out there but less than 3 mil X1s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Well considering shops can't keep the PS4 in stock yet and are selling out as fast as they come in yet you can get an X1 with little trouble I'd believe the Sony figures are far more accurate than MS's in actual sales.

this! - there are loads of X1 all over the shop now, you can walk in....the ps4 is still like gold dust. if they could make more every one would sell i am sure.

4.2m is amazing and sony is well on the way to sell 5-6 million by march, they may even exceed 6 million.

But even if the units arent sold it is still a sale for sony!...they ship units per orde requests that are paid for. it dosent matter if newegg order and pay for 10,000 units but only end up sell 10.....its still 10k worth of money.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't believe the 'sales' figures from both Sony and Microsoft. Sony and MS pull this stunt everytime they release something.

Sony and Microsoft quote shipped figures as sales figures. They are sales for Sony and MS but they aren't retail sales. Shipped sales are consoles shipped from the manufacturer to retailer warehouses. I very much doubt Sony sold 4+ million PS4's so far. I'd say it's closer to 2.5 million (a very good number) and they are quoting that figure after they shipped the latest batch of consoles to retailers before they are sold at retail. Similarly Microsoft's quote probably isn't taking into account units that are sitting unsold in retail, those would be counted as sold for them.

Sony pulled a similar stunt with the PS3 when it was clogging up game store storerooms and trying to pretend it was selling well.

Well considering shops can't keep the PS4 in stock yet and are selling out as fast as they come in yet you can get an X1 with little trouble I'd believe the Sony figures are far more accurate than MS's in actual sales. I'd say 4 mil PS4s are out there but less than 3 mil X1s.

Indeed, shiped figures or not in Ps4 case are irrelevant as stock flies out of shops as soon as it lands.
    Week after I Got my ps4 I walked in To gamestop and was offered Xbox one. It was not a second batch, it was a left over stock after people who preordered did not picked it up and they had backlog sorted too. Last time I was in Gamestop they were still trying to sort out ps4 Que and Xbox one on sale for walkings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say both are lying through their teeth here as usual. I mean this isn't even a conspiracy theory, it's basically their modus operandi and they will admit it but games 'journalists' just spout out any old PR piece they receive and take it as gospel. I'd say the PS4 sold more but no way did it reach 4+ million, I'd say that's a big after XMas batch that have just shipped to retailers which also includes some of the Japanese release day batch more than likely. I say this because getting 4+ million units made in the time frame between launch and xmas is way too hard to believe considering 2.5 million would be a phenomenal number. I'd say about 1 million of those are sitting in warehouses for the japanese launch and only shipped after xmas.

Microsoft I'd say are doing the same, I heard tales of retailers saying the WiiU outsold the One before Xmas. They are probably seriously trying to inflate figures, as I said Sony did the same when the PS3 was tanking at launch.

I'd be more interested in retail figures, it's obvious the PS4 did very well but I'm not so sure about the One and the WiiU (Nintendo are weird in that they differentiate between shipped and sold and only usually release retail sales figures).

Indeed, shiped figures or not in Ps4 case are irrelevant as stock flies out of shops as soon as it lands.
    Week after I Got my ps4 I walked in To gamestop and was offered Xbox one. It was not a second batch, it was a left over stock after people who preordered did not picked it up and they had backlog sorted too. Last time I was in Gamestop they were still trying to sort out ps4 Que and Xbox one on sale for walkings.

i am sure sony did lose sales to the X1 due to the fact there was no ps4. as you said a guy walks into gamestop to buy a ps4 and has money in hand....no ps4 so decides to buy the xbox one.

i am sure this scenario has been repeated many times and sony lost sales, so you could say sony could have sold alot more and the xbox one even less then 3 million.

its well known the xbox one is the second choice system......;)

• Advertisement

I heard tales of retailers saying the WiiU outsold the One before Xmas.

oh snap! :p ....LOL, that is the highest insult you could get, major burn! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Even if the numbers were sold, anyhow, you'd have to factor in that the PS4 is out in a lot more areas than the One is. I'd have expected the One to not be doing nearly that well due to the price of the console alone. The more expensive console tends not to have a great start.

I'd say both are lying through their teeth here as usual. I mean this isn't even a conspiracy theory, it's basically their modus operandi and they will admit it but games 'journalists' just spout out any old PR piece they receive and take it as gospel. I'd say the PS4 sold more but no way did it reach 4+ million, I'd say that's a big after XMas batch that have just shipped to retailers which also includes some of the Japanese release day batch more than likely. I say this because getting 4+ million units made in the time frame between launch and xmas is way too hard to believe considering 2.5 million would be a phenomenal number. I'd say about 1 million of those are sitting in warehouses for the japanese launch and only shipped after xmas.

Microsoft I'd say are doing the same, I heard tales of retailers saying the WiiU outsold the One before Xmas. They are probably seriously trying to inflate figures, as I said Sony did the same when the PS3 was tanking at launch.

I'd be more interested in retail figures, it's obvious the PS4 did very well but I'm not so sure about the One and the WiiU (Nintendo are weird in that they differentiate between shipped and sold and only usually release retail sales figures).

Big corporation LIE?! NO WAY!!! Those are the most trustable people in ther world! they would never do that to make themselves look better and more competitive then they actually are. Its very unfair tactic and those people are fair and decent folk! :pac:
    Sorry, but what you said is a hard known truth. They always lie. Even lied now too, but it is still a number. A base of what reality is. Knowing the current state of demand and supply between all 3 consoles we can put our own estimates. So all in all we know that this number is not 100% true ( and in fairness it would be impossible to give a 100% accurate number ) and we know what is on the selves now. Sony is doing good and doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jenjenten wrote: »
    :eek: http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/97-million-playstation-4-games-sold-so-far

It well beat the xbox one with 3 million units sold!....read the article as it has more numbers and info.

And still s%^t all games out for it.

Hopefully I get a ps4 by the end of the month ;D

Went into my local Gamestop and due to there waiting list could be a couple of months

Went into my local Gamestop and due to there waiting list could be a couple of months

my gawd D: .

my gawd D: .

ya was surprised in a way. Say the guy misquoted himself but seeing the amount of game out for the PS4 I be waiting for a few months anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Didn't apple sell 9 million iPhones last launch over a weekend?

Tbh 4 million in 2 months is extremely doable and nothing shocking. I'd believe it, they're nowhere to be found.

ya was surprised in a way. Say the guy misquoted himself but seeing the amount of game out for the PS4 I be waiting for a few months anyway

hopefully it wont be by march till I is available again since mgs ground zero is out very soon and I refuse to play it on ps3

hopefully it wont be by march till I is available again since mgs ground zero is out very soon and I refuse to play it on ps3
    That could be very short. Kojima has talked about how Phantom Pain is a hundred times bigger. Thing is, that works the other way too with Ground Zeroes a hundred times smaller. Personally, I don't plan on playing it till closer to release of Phantom Pain.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That could be very short. Kojima has talked about how Phantom Pain is a hundred times bigger. Thing is, that works the other way too with Ground Zeroes a hundred times smaller. Personally, I don't plan on playing it till closer to release of Phantom Pain.

yeah I have been reading up on it ever since it got announced. Im a Metal Gear Nut with the series been my favourite of all time.

whether the game be 3 hours to 7 hour game I dont care , I get my money worth out of it :L

yeah I have been reading up on it ever since it got announced. Im a Metal Gear Nut with the series been my favourite of all time.

whether the game be 3 hours to 7 hour game I dont care , I get my money worth out of it :L
    My worry isn't the money so much as the waiting. Play it, and then waiting for Phantom Pain will be a lot worse. You know that's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Announcing shipping numbers is very normal in many industries where tracking retail sales is time consuming and any retail data is going to lag the shipping numbers by quite a bit. You might see a drop in shipping numbers before retail numbers not because a drop in retail sales hasn't happened yet but that the retail tracking system hasn't captured that data yet.

Sony/Microsoft could proxy retail sales through tracking registrations to their online service and they undoubtedly use these numbers internally and probably will start announcing them at some point, but really, announcing shipping numbers is totally normal. No conspiracy, just poor journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

due to amazon messing up my pre order and me complaining, I got the PS4 on the 13th of December instead of the 2nd of December, but only had to pay the tax on it as a sign of goodwill and also a €50 voucher for amazon.

they sent me an email saying the order was lost and i was been refunded, so i sent an angry email saying that i did not want the money, i wanted the PS4. an hour later a nice girl rang up telling me the good news. Initially I thought I was getting the Camera bundle for the price of the basic bundle, but what she meant was all I had to pay was the tax, around €26 I think it was !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so you got a free PS4 and only had to pay the tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Even if those sales figures are true (which they are most likely not) the fact that the X1 has sold over 3 million units is pretty amazing after the disaster that was E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Seriously, if anyone is waiting for a PS4 and they have to wait several months, just use that time to save a little extra and get yourself a PC, much better in every single way. CHeaper in the long run too as games are at least half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Seriously, if anyone is waiting for a PS4 and they have to wait several months, just use that time to save a little extra and get yourself a PC, much better in every single way. CHeaper in the long run too as games are at least half the price!

The thought has crossed my mind a few times but I think I'll just stick with consoles in the long run.

Most of my friends have consoles, none play PC.

I have my room set up around consoles with a big screen tv. I know you can connect a PC to the tv but it just seems awkward, I'd have no where to put a monitor.

More intriguing exclusives on consoles. I know PC has a calvacade of indie titles but to be honest I get enough of an indie fix from what the consoles offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Like a desktop? ewwwww

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

RasTa wrote: »
    Like a desktop? ewwwww
    Like a Steambox PC :P

Advertisement