Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I see the Garmin Forerunner 110 is around the same price and then an extra £20 with a heart monitor included.

Would that be similar/better/worse?
    Lots of people have reported problems with the Forerunner 110. The Forerunner 210 might be a more suitable offering for you? It has the added advantage that it can do intervals. Given that the Forerunner 220 should be generally available soon, I'd imagine that the price of the 210 may drop. It's currently £139.99 including HRM (probably a pound or two higher based on Irish VAT rates). But if you don't need HRM, then the Forerunner 10 is probably the best entry level watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Lots of people have reported problems with the Forerunner 110. The Forerunner 210 might be a more suitable offering for you? It has the added advantage that it can do intervals. Given that the Forerunner 220 should be generally available soon, I'd imagine that the price of the 210 may drop. It's currently £139.99 including HRM (probably a pound or two higher based on Irish VAT rates). But if you don't need HRM, then the Forerunner 10 is probably the best entry level watch.

I'd prefer to have the HRM to be honest. I've gone ahead and ordered the 210. Looking forward to getting it now in the next few days :).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

30% off at Garmin UK today with the discount code Garmin30 at the uk website.

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RunDMC wrote: »
    30% off at Garmin UK today with the discount code Garmin30 at the uk website.

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB

R

Wow!!! Thanks a million; just saved £75 on a new FR 220:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The GARMIN30 code is valid again for today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sub3wannabe

Hi guys. Recently purchased by first gps watch. The Garmin F10. Was just wondering, is there a mode on this to help me when I run my interval sessions? Thanks.

Hi guys. Recently purchased by first gps watch. The Garmin F10. Was just wondering, is there a mode on this to help me when I run my interval sessions? Thanks.
    As an entry-level watch, I don't believe it has that functionality, but you could potentially fudge something together, but adjusting the auto-lap distance downwards to the length of your planned intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sub3wannabe

As an entry-level watch, I don't believe it has that functionality, but you could potentially fudge something together, but adjusting the auto-lap distance downwards to the length of your planned intervals.

Good idea. Cheers Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hi Folks, (aka Krusty)

I've been having major problems with the FR305 but I manage to charge it and get it running most days! Trouble now is, on Gar Connect I don't get a map or Player option when I view a workout. Anyone know a solution? Thanks in advance.

I.

Itziger wrote: »
    Hi Folks, (aka Krusty)

I've been having major problems with the FR305 but I manage to charge it and get it running most days! Trouble now is, on Gar Connect I don't get a map or Player option when I view a workout. Anyone know a solution? Thanks in advance.

I.
    Sounds like your watch is no longer recording track-points. Are you sure that your memory isn't full? Have you cleared it recently?

• Advertisement

Sounds like your watch is no longer recording track-points. Are you sure that your memory isn't full? Have you cleared it recently?

Thanks man. Not sure that was the problem, but I'll find out soon enough. You got the fancy new Garmin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thanks man. Not sure that was the problem, but I'll find out soon enough. You got the fancy new Garmin yet?

You referring to the 620 Itzy?
    My mate Vader_MLK has one coming for xmas. Looks like it's a great toy but not sure how much better than a 310 it actually is...we wait and see!

If you have a link to GC, send it on. Typically, if the watch is still recording distance and average pace (and sometimes laps), but not uploading a map/graphs, this is for one of the following reasons:
    1) Memory is full and is discarding track-points (usually in oldest activities first).
    2) Problem with Garmin Connect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Hey guys. Finally in a financial position to purchase me a garmin. Think I'll go with the 310. Just want to ask from experience is there any reason I should wait until after christmas (e.g Jan sales) to make my purchase?

Hey guys. Finally in a financial position to purchase me a garmin. Think I'll go with the 310. Just want to ask from experience is there any reason I should wait until after christmas (e.g Jan sales) to make my purchase?
    To be honest, your guess is as good as anyone else's. Electronics don't really feature in January sales though (if you ignore the obligatory flat screen TVs). If you're not in any hurry, find someone going to the US, and order from Amazon.com. It's currently $184, including HRM. That's like €135.

belcarra wrote: »
    You referring to the 620 Itzy?
    My mate Vader_MLK has one coming for xmas. Looks like it's a great toy but not sure how much better than a 310 it actually is...we wait and see!

Hi Belcarra, Yeah I was thinking of those new sleek looking yokes, the 620 and such. I wouldn't buy one if the old watch was still going strong but it ain't. Been acting up major for a while now. Tell ya the truth, I'd nearly go without if I could. I'm looking to do some track sessions in the coming months for a crack at a decent 10k but reckon a bloody stopwatch might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

To be honest, your guess is as good as anyone else's. Electronics don't really feature in January sales though (if you ignore the obligatory flat screen TVs). If you're not in any hurry, find someone going to the US, and order from Amazon.com. It's currently $184, including HRM. That's like €135.

That is great value unfortunately I'm not in luck with knowing anyone going over there. Cool, I'm happy to order now then, had my eyes set on this for some months so can't wait any longer if there's no valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi, if you view the thread on discounts and vouchers you will see garmin had a 30 % off deal 3 times this month, Im waiting to see if it come s up once more before 24th! Worth a try.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi, if you view the thread on discounts and vouchers you will see garmin had a 30 % off deal 3 times this month, Im waiting to see if it come s up once more before 24th! Worth a try.
    That works out great for the new generation of Garmin watches, but if you look at the Garmin website prices for some of their older generations watches (like the 310), they're not competitive with the likes of Amazon. Even with a 30% discount, it would still cost you £5 more than Amazon for a 310 with HRM strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

That works out great for the new generation of Garmin watches, but if you look at the Garmin website prices for some of their older generations watches (like the 310), they're not competitive with the likes of Amazon. Even with a 30% discount, it would still cost you £5 more than Amazon for a 310 with HRM strap.

Thanks for that, will compare both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have discovered what seems to be a weird bug in the Garmin 410. Has anyone else seen this.
    It has happened three times over the last year, in exactly the same way.

I have the autolap set for 1km, so after each km, the watch beeps and shows the lap time for a few seconds.
    During my run today, I stopped and hit the stop/start button exactly on 6.00km before the watch beeped or the lap time was shown
    I restarted and the lap timing was not working. The watch beeped every few seconds and the message "lap error" was displayed on screen. After 500m, I started a new lap and everything went fine after that.

I ran a total of 10km, and that is what was on the watch when I completed the run.
    I downloaded the run to Garmin Connect and it says that I ran 9.51km, and the history on the watch also says the run was 9.51km.

Lap 6 took 10.11mins, so it looks like it only ended lap 6 when I manually finished it at 6.51km but it thinks that the lap was 1km.

huskerdu wrote: »
    I have discovered what seems to be a weird bug in the Garmin 410. Has anyone else seen this.

I have the autolap set for 1km, so after each km, the watch beeps and shows the lap time for a few seconds.
    During my run today, I stopped and hit the stop/start button exactly on 6.00km before the watch beeped or the lap time was shown
    I restarted and the lap timing was not working. The watch beeped every few seconds and the message "lap error" was displayed on screen. After 500m, I started a new lap and everything went fine after that.

I ran a total of 10km, and that is what was on the watch when I completed the run.
    I downloaded the run to Garmin Connect and it says that I ran 9.51km, and the history on the watch also says the run was 9.51km.

Lap 6 took 10.11mins, so it looks like it only ended lap 6 when I manually finished it at 6.51km but it thinks that the lap was 1km.
    It's the watches way of punishing you for trying to find bugs (you find a bug, it steals some of your mileage!). Maybe raise it on the Garmin 410 forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

It's the watches way of punishing you for trying to find bugs (you find a bug, it steals some of your mileage!). Maybe raise it on the Garmin 410 forum?

No good deed goes unpunished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

huskerdu wrote: »

Yes, I have had this happen on a 405. Simple solution: manually press the lap button and a new laps starts. It starts measuring 1km (or whatever your lap is set up for) again from that point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Anywhere know somewhere that will replace the buttons (rubber) on a Forerunner 305. Watch itself is still working perfectly 4 years later but I just lost the rubber from the power button and the others aren't far behind due to use?

(Reluctant to change as I am not a fan of the bezels in the newer models)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

30% off on garmin site today again garmin30 code

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Rang garmin yesterday. I had to return my 610 for the 4th time. 1st would not pick up satellites and rust the next 3 times. They replaced the watch each time. Last replacement was like mid Sept. I rude guy on the phone said have I been charging it in water and it was all down to user error. Its a flaw in the watch as it rusts on the same part every time. Very unhappy with garmin right now as the watch was sitting on someone's desk for 2 weeks an no one looked at it. The guy looks like he has only been hired for the holidays as he was first trying to tell me that I had no warranty but as it all was replaced under 90 days ago I did. Not much fun having to send back a watch and being without it for 3 weeks each time. Bad garmin. Have only had good experiences with them up until yesterday.

ecoli wrote: »
    Anywhere know somewhere that will replace the buttons (rubber) on a Forerunner 305. Watch itself is still working perfectly 4 years later but I just lost the rubber from the power button and the others aren't far behind due to use?

Your only real option is to send it back to Garmin, who'll swap it out for a refurb (and charge you more than the watch is worth for the privilege). Forerunner 220 could be an option? No bezel (just real buttons like the 305) and it's 30% off, direct from Garmin's website today (brings it to around €182). Alternatively, as above, find someone going to the US and pick up a 310xt (€135 inc HRM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

ecoli wrote: »

I've just gone through 2 out of warranty exchanges with Garmin. Have to say an absolute joy to deal with.
    I sent back a 3yr old 310xt that was powering off for no reason and got a refurbished unit for 90.
    I also sent off the most violated 305 on the planet (over 4yrs old) , power button missing, stop/start button not working properly and I had already taken it apart to solder a broken connection, so it looked a state. They sent me a refurb 305, all in (including reg. post sending it over) for 80 euro. Garmin charge £58.8stg for a refurb 305. Their turnaround is fast enough. Courier via tnt with tracking details etc emailed as soon as the parcel is dispatched. Very pleased with them. Not sure how much value you place on the 305 but a refurb for a reasonable price is better than a new watch you may not be happy with.

• Advertisement

If you have a link to GC, send it on. Typically, if the watch is still recording distance and average pace (and sometimes laps), but not uploading a map/graphs, this is for one of the following reasons:
    1) Memory is full and is discarding track-points (usually in oldest activities first).
    2) Problem with Garmin Connect

KC, here's a recent run I did. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/424263800

I've looked at deleting but that ain't helped. The whole 305 problem and Gconnect has been going on for a good few months now.

Different question: Is the measurement particularly bad on tracks? I did a 1500m time trial on New Year's Day, for a laugh, and the watch came in at 1.58 k.

Advertisement