Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the reply Krusty, I tried all of that but to no avail, even after a hard reset I got the error.
    However when I went into the watch as a solid state drive I noticed the Garmin.fit file had been duplicated something like 10 times but with a size of 0KB, this was on the first screen and not actually in the activities folder. I deleted all of the the new ones and the original assuming that it was corrupted and causing the duplications and hoping it would be recreated when I turned the watch back on and thankfully that worked. Pure luck really on my part!
    That's what I meant by 'files residing on the device', but didn't realize that the FR10 used FIT files (which are not XML). The error message is usually associated with the tree structure of an XML file, so it's likely that the Garmin Connect site was trying to interpret the FIT file and place it in an XML structure. Anyway, glad it's sorted. Would have thought that a master reset would wipe the device, removing any legacy corrupt/incomplete files. Are these the steps you followed:
    To reset the device:

Power off watch (press and hold Light, device will count down and shut off)
    Press and hold Enter (top right) and Down button (bottom right)
    Press and release Light button to power device back on
    Release Enter after first beep
    Release Down button after second beep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

That's what I meant by 'files residing on the device', but didn't realize that the FR10 used FIT files (which are not XML). The error message is usually associated with the tree structure of an XML file, so it's likely that the Garmin Connect site was trying to interpret the FIT file and place it in an XML structure. Anyway, glad it's sorted. Would have thought that a master reset would wipe the device, removing any legacy corrupt/incomplete files. Are these the steps you followed:

Yep that's what I did although I could have the file extension wrong now that I think of it, that was just off the top of my head. All of the runs and records on the watch were reset but there was still that duplication of the original file.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Krusty,
    Quick question before the marathon on the lock bezel function (Forerunner 410). Is it possible to lock the bezel both before you start your run and after? I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that I had to start the run and then click on start and reset simultaneously (enter and quit) to lock the bezel - and nearly every time I did this I ended up stopping the timer, rather than locking the bezel. So my question is - can I lock the bezel independently of the timer being on or not?

Krusty,
    Quick question before the marathon on the lock bezel function (Forerunner 410). Is it possible to lock the bezel both before you start your run and after? I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that I had to start the run and then click on start and reset simultaneously (enter and quit) to lock the bezel - and nearly every time I did this I ended up stopping the timer, rather than locking the bezel. So my question is - can I lock the bezel independently of the timer being on or not?
    Yes, absolutely! Lock the bezel while you're waiting in the corral (remember to make sure that GPS is enabled!), and hit the [Start] button when you cross the start line. Hit the same button when you cross the finish line. Hold the Lap/Reset button after you're finished (just to mark that workout complete) and then you can unlock the bezel at your leisure.

You should try it now, just to make sure you won't have any problems tomorrow. Good luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Krusty,
    I've been trying without success to lock the bezel, it just won't work no matter what I try. Should I be in a specific window to do this? Pain in the ass to be honest. I'm probably just going to have to run with this unlocked.:mad:

• Advertisement

Krusty,
    I've been trying without success to lock the bezel, it just won't work no matter what I try. Should I be in a specific window to do this? Pain in the ass to be honest. I'm probably just going to have to run with this unlocked.:mad:
    I can't quite remember, but I thought you could lock the bezel on any screen. Have you tried to lock the bezel on the Training screen (the screen you get to, by holding the right hand side of the bezel)?

It's no harm if you have to keep the bezel unlocked for the race anyway. You could try disabling all of the other data field screens, so only the one you want will show, Don't get stressed about it. The watch isn't going to run your race for you. It's all you, buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Trampas

Maybe you could help me here Krusty

Have a Garmin Forerunner 405CX. Software release 2.40.0.0

When I upload my runs to connect lately it appears the GPS isn't as good as it use to be.

e.g. from DCM was I was running doing Marlborough Mews and Annamore Parade instead of the NCR.

I understand how GPS works etc

Is there something I could reset or something?

Trampas wrote: »
    Maybe you could help me here Krusty

Have a Garmin Forerunner 405CX. Software release 2.40.0.0

When I upload my runs to connect lately it appears the GPS isn't as good as it use to be.

e.g. from DCM was I was running doing Marlborough Mews and Annamore Parade instead of the NCR.

I understand how GPS works etc

Is there something I could reset or something?
    Hi Trampas, can you provide a GC link to your activity, so we can take a look? The answer is that strictly speaking, there are no configurable options around GPS accuracy. The watch does download and store an almanac, which provides up to date information about the orbital information of the satellites, and if that does somehow become corrupted, then your watch may not be tracking as many satellites as it could. But to be honest, it's a bit of a long shot. It is far more likely that stuck in amongst thousands of other runners and surrounded by tall buildings, your watch didn't have a clear enough view of the sky to lock-on to enough satellites. Emer_911 mentioned to me that it took almost 10-12 minutes for her watch to track enough satellites to get a reliable reading, so it may be that your watch suffered the same kind of issue.

You could try a hard-reset, which will force it to re-download the almanac (and likely provide a much-needed reset), but be aware, that you will lose any existing data on the watch. Generally-speaking, the quality of your GPS signal shouldn't deteriorate over time. It's a case of either 'it works' or 'it doesn't work', but there have been enough posts on the subject on this forum to suggest that there's an argument that the electronics may be failing over time. I'd go with the hard-reset, and if that doesn't work and the GPS accuracy isn't sufficient for your needs, then you could always go down the Garmin Support route (they'll replace your watch with a refurbished watch, for a hefty fee).

Hi Trampas, can you provide a GC link to your activity, so we can take a look? The answer is that strictly speaking, there are no configurable options around GPS accuracy. The watch does download and store an almanac, which provides up to date information about the orbital information of the satellites, and if that does somehow become corrupted, then your watch may not be tracking as many satellites as it could. But to be honest, it's a bit of a long shot. It is far more likely that stuck in amongst thousands of other runners and surrounded by tall buildings, your watch didn't have a clear enough view of the sky to lock-on to enough satellites. Emer_911 mentioned to me that it took almost 10-12 minutes for her watch to track enough satellites to get a reliable reading, so it may be that your watch suffered the same kind of issue.

You could try a hard-reset, which will force it to re-download the almanac (and likely provide a much-needed reset), but be aware, that you will lose any existing data on the watch. Generally-speaking, the quality of your GPS signal shouldn't deteriorate over time. It's a case of either 'it works' or 'it doesn't work', but there have been enough posts on the subject on this forum to suggest that there's an argument that the electronics may be failing over time. I'd go with the hard-reset, and if that doesn't work and the GPS accuracy isn't sufficient for your needs, then you could always go down the Garmin Support route (they'll replace your watch with a refurbished watch, for a hefty fee).

Thanks

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/396960745

Hi Trampas, my run doesn't look dissimilar, particularly over those stretches (where I seem to have stopped off in St Peter's Church for a bit of divine intervention!).

To be honest, it looks like more of a case of poor satellite coverage/signal, than anything specific to your watch. The rest of your race looks like a pretty reasonable reflection of the route. If still in doubt, I'd go with a hard reset, but I wouldn't expect that your accuracy is going to improve. Congrats on the PB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Hi
    Am looking for any advice on a defective HR strap for the 610. It's registering very high figures (>210!! which I hope are not correct). It was always a bit high for first mile but now figures are high for most of run.

I have tried:
    - Replacing battery
    - Using gel on contacts to get better connection
    - Hand washing strap per instructons.

BTW I did check my HR independently just in case it was actually an over active ticker but I'm ok.

Any thoughts.

If I've to replace strap should I go for Garmin strap or maybe other make (Polar?)

Thanks

Ferris B wrote: »
    Hi
    Am looking for any advice on a defective HR strap for the 610. It's registering very high figures (>210!! which I hope are not correct). It was always a bit high for first mile but now figures are high for most of run.

I have tried:
    - Replacing battery
    - Using gel on contacts to get better connection
    - Hand washing strap per instructons.

BTW I did check my HR independently just in case it was actually an over active ticker but I'm ok.

Any thoughts.

If I've to replace strap should I go for Garmin strap or maybe other make (Polar?)

Thanks
    The Polar HRM doesn't work with the Garmin watch. Some folks use the elasticated piece of the polar strap and connect it to a Garmin HR transmitter (perhaps that's what you meant?) but if your results are really that bad, then this may not solve your problem.

There is a new Garmin HR strap which is supposed to be a massive improvement (e.g. no spikes or erroneous data), but it's neither cheap, nor available at the moment.
    It will be released with the Forerunner 620, but will also but backwards compatible with older Forerunner models. However:
    1) It features an accelerometer/running dynamics - but this information will only be available/interpreted on a Forerunner 620.
    2) The battery in the HR strap may not last as long as a traditional HR strap, given that it may transmit additional data, for these running dynamics fields.
    3) It's $99.
    4) It's not available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

The Polar HRM doesn't work with the Garmin watch. Some folks use the elasticated piece of the polar strap and connect it to a Garmin HR transmitter (perhaps that's what you meant?) but if your results are really that bad, then this may not solve your problem.

There is a new Garmin HR strap which is supposed to be a massive improvement (e.g. no spikes or erroneous data), but it's neither cheap, nor available at the moment.
    It will be released with the Forerunner 620, but will also but backwards compatible with older Forerunner models. However:
    1) It features an accelerometer/running dynamics - but this information will only be available/interpreted on a Forerunner 620.
    2) The battery in the HR strap may not last as long as a traditional HR strap, given that it may transmit additional data, for these running dynamics fields.
    3) It's $99.
    4) It's not available yet.
    Thanks for info Krusty.

I had read about that new strap for the 620 but even if it was available it's out of budget range. Mind you if I did get it, I'd be in danger of getting the matching 620 ( bit like the OH getting a full outfit to go with the new bag she bought last week).

Reckon I'll have to lookout for replacement 610 strap.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Thanks for info Krusty.

I had read about that new strap for the 620 but even if it was available it's out of budget range. Mind you if I did get it, I'd be in danger of getting the matching 620 ( bit like the OH getting a full outfit to go with the new bag she bought last week).

Reckon I'll have to lookout for replacement 610 strap.
    Can you try someone else's strap, just to make sure it's not your watch? Or else try your strap on someone else's watch, if you want to avoid personal hygiene issues. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Something strange happening with my 305 again (I think). This time, the Player view on Garmin Connect is not allowing me to click on the second half of the graphs. Minor problem, but is there something else wrong?!

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/397474526

Something strange happening with my 305 again (I think). This time, the Player view on Garmin Connect is not allowing me to click on the second half of the graphs. Minor problem, but is there something else wrong?!

That is nuts! Not only did you break four hours, you also stepped sideways into a new reality, altering the value of 'zero'!
    The problem seemed to happen just as you turned off for Walkinstown.
    Do you remember anything unusual, like stepping into a portal?
    Did you feel anything change at a molecular level?
    Did you notice any bald people wearing black hats?

Krusty me again.

Uploaded a few runs today and seems like I can select any part of the 2nd half of run in the player tab

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/404757662

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/404757687

Any ideas what is causing the problem?

Krusty me again.

Uploaded a few runs today and seems like I can select any part of the 2nd half of run in the player tab

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/404757662

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/404757687

Any ideas what is causing the problem?
    Snap, I have one too! I think that it's safe to assume it's a bug in Garmin Connect, and there isn't much you can do about it. Given that they haven't fixed Micilin Muc's activities, I'd say it'll take a while before you see these fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That is nuts! Not only did you break four hours, you also stepped sideways into a new reality, altering the value of 'zero'!
    The problem seemed to happen just as you turned off for Walkinstown.
    Do you remember anything unusual, like stepping into a portal?
    Did you feel anything change at a molecular level?
    Did you notice any bald people wearing black hats?

Just had a look there and mine went at the same place...
    http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/397227829

Checked a few runs since that date and they're gaga too :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Workouts not sending from GC to watch. Tells me garmin communicator plugin isn't detect.
    Re-installed it. Still says not detected. :mad: Still not sending workouts to watch. :mad:

• Advertisement

Looks like they finally fixed your run Micilin Muc! Fixed mine too, but not Trampas'.

Workouts not sending from GC to watch. Tells me garmin communicator plugin isn't detect.
    Re-installed it. Still says not detected. :mad: Still not sending workouts to watch. :mad:
    Mac, right? This should sort you out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mac, right? This should sort you out.

Can you install Mac OS on that? :P

Can you install Mac OS on that? :P
    Exactly. :)

Looks like they finally fixed your run Micilin Muc! Fixed mine too, but not Trampas'.

Mine seemed ok one or two of the ones I check

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a Garmin or similar for Christmas. I've been getting by using a Timex stopwatch and the mapmyrun app on my phone. However the signal has let me down a few times lately, hence the sudden impulse to upgrade. I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Just something that I can set to record kms, miles, lap times/splits and heart rate.

What would work best for me? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Garmin Forerunner 10 is great entry level watch.

Does all the obvious stuff EXCEPT for heart rate. But depending on your budget, you might be willing to sacrifice that functionality...

crisco10 wrote: »
    Garmin Forerunner 10 is great entry level watch.

Does all the obvious stuff EXCEPT for heart rate. But depending on your budget, you might be willing to sacrifice that functionality...

Thanks. I might do that. Is there a separate recommended heart rate monitor I could get in the near future though, as it's something I'm looking to start being more aware of?

I see the Garmin Forerunner 110 is around the same price and then an extra £20 with a heart monitor included.

Would that be similar/better/worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I might do that. Is there a separate recommended heart rate monitor I could get in the near future though, as it's something I'm looking to start being more aware of?

Being honest, I wouldn't bother with FR10 if heart rate is something you are going to care about. Go for one of the more expensive models with HRM if you think it's more than "nice to have"...That way all the data is in one place and correlated etc.

Advertisement