Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spear wrote: »
    I found the P90 to be a much better alternative than the MX4 when starting out as an engineer.

And to overstate this point:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/417020645682965376/173294284/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Sparks wrote: »
    The M249. Only LMG I use anymore. The MG4 is comparable, with a slightly different reload pattern, but the 249 is just so damn handy out of the box that none of the others has ever stacked up against it for me.
    I'll persevere with the campaign so :)
    Also, while I like the idea of the scout elite because I've used the real-world version, it's about the worst sniper rifle in the game:

I don't snipe much myself, but I can't fault what he's saying about it, I much prefered the basic starting rifles to this one.

Watched the video and he is spot on. I changed to the m40a5 and played a few rounds and it is so much better. No longer have to hit people three times and headshots are one shot kills now. I had assumed that the guns get progressively better as you unlock them (am new to these games) but obviously not.

I'm finding it very hard to actually see enemies unless I'm using the PLD and I spot them, then switch back to the gun, anyone else have this problem or is it just cause I'm a noob? Are you able to get thermal sights for sniper rifles?

Sorry for the silly questions, years ago all of this would have been in the game manual... (if you could recommend a website which has all of this on it that would be cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

No longer have to hit people three times and headshots are one shot kills now.
    Headshots are one-hit-kills with all the bolt action rifles.
    I'm finding it very hard to actually see enemies unless I'm using the PLD and I spot them, then switch back to the gun, anyone else have this problem or is it just cause I'm a noob?
    You should be constantly pressing your Q button when looking around. Sometimes you won't get visual confirmation but your soldier will say something like "enemy player spotted".

BTW...and I really don't like saying this, but please don't spend entire games sitting on a roof or a bush somewhere just looking for kills. It does nothing but infuriates your team members. Fair enough if you're lasing vehicles or placing spawn beacons in good spots, but playing for yourself only is not how Battlefield is meant to be played.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'll persevere with the campaign so :)

Watched the video and he is spot on. I changed to the m40a5 and played a few rounds and it is so much better. No longer have to hit people three times and headshots are one shot kills now. I had assumed that the guns get progressively better as you unlock them (am new to these games) but obviously not.

I'm finding it very hard to actually see enemies unless I'm using the PLD and I spot them, then switch back to the gun, anyone else have this problem or is it just cause I'm a noob? Are you able to get thermal sights for sniper rifles?

Sorry for the silly questions, years ago all of this would have been in the game manual... (if you could recommend a website which has all of this on it that would be cool)

Battlelog lists all the unlocks, so you can see that IR and IRNV sights are available for the sniper rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I had assumed that the guns get progressively better as you unlock them (am new to these games) but obviously not.
    Nope. A lot of the guns in the progression are just worse than those you start out with. Sometimes it'll be balanced out - the later gun will be worse in one respect (say, rate of fire) but better in another (say, higher damage per shot) and then you have an actual choice, where the later gun might suit one playstyle or map more than another. In those cases it's grand. In other cases - like the scout elite, or the CBJ-MS for examples - there just doesn't seem to be any redeeming features and they're just not worth the unlock and are probably in there for padding more than anything else.
    (Which makes it doubly aggravating that other, more interesting weapons aren't in there, like the classic AK47, G3 and MP5 or something like the more modern Vector).
    You can get thermal sights, you don't need them. Your brain just hasn't learnt to sort out target from background yet. Keep at it, it'll learn, it just takes time and happens more or less automatically. Try watching youtube videos (in HD) if you find it too demoralising to get shot by people you never see, it won't do it on its own, but it can help a little.
    (if you could recommend a website which has all of this on it that would be cool)
    Try watching some of the youtube channels that talk about gameplay. Levelcap and Matimio's come to mind (particularly Levelcap's older stuff which still works in BF4, and Matimio's Mind Games bit). They sound a bit... up themselves to Irish ears, but I guess for Americans, they're just normal :pac: )

• Advertisement

You'd think so, but the Scout (and the FJ-YS) drops off to 36.6 damage beyond 110m and with only a 2x headshot multiplier...

You'd think so, but the Scout (and the FJ-YS) drops off to 36.6 damage beyond 110m and with only a 2x headshot multiplier...

Well that's a bit....silly. Point taken. This is why I never use sniper rifles.

Well that's a bit....silly. Point taken. This is why I never use sniper rifles.
    Yeah, I'm no great fan of them myself (but then, I'm pretty useless with them too so I'm biased :) ). But the Scout just seems to be in a class of its own. It's like a bolt-action DMR...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

The Scout & the 338-Recon have the best hipfire which is useful if you're playing a hardcore bolt action only tdm server (which is the only time I play sniper bar the special sniper pickups).

I'm sure DICE will have the more cliched fps weapons like the AK47, G3 and MP5 in one of the future DLC. Maybe even the BF3 noob favourite, the M16A3 :D

Hipfire... sniper bolt-action rifle. No, that way lies madness...
    /shakes head and backs away slowly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

This is a very good look at the issues that BF4 is suffering. Nice and short too.

This is a very good look at the issues that BF4 is suffering. Nice and short too.

Thanks, someone who knows what's they're talking about at last :D

Hipfire... sniper bolt-action rifle. No, that way lies madness...
    /shakes head and backs away slowly

It's a great feeling though when someone runs around a corner on top of you and you blast them away with hipfire :)

You should be constantly pressing your Q button when looking around. Sometimes you won't get visual confirmation but your soldier will say something like "enemy player spotted".

BTW...and I really don't like saying this, but please don't spend entire games sitting on a roof or a bush somewhere just looking for kills. It does nothing but infuriates your team members. Fair enough if you're lasing vehicles or placing spawn beacons in good spots, but playing for yourself only is not how Battlefield is meant to be played.

No I'm not much of a camper (how do the guys even get on top of the flats in floodzone?) generally I rush to an objective that they are trying to capture, dump a spawn becon and try to hold down the fort till the squad spawns and we clear it out, then onto the next. Only time I "camp" is when I'm defending in rush

I've tried being an assault guy but I've no composure at all in close quarters firefights, I end up just spraying bullets everywhere. It might be the ps3 controller, I used to be pretty good at fps on PC

Nope. A lot of the guns in the progression are just worse than those you start out with. Sometimes it'll be balanced out - the later gun will be worse in one respect (say, rate of fire) but better in another (say, higher damage per shot) and then you have an actual choice, where the later gun might suit one playstyle or map more than another. In those cases it's grand. In other cases - like the scout elite, or the CBJ-MS for examples - there just doesn't seem to be any redeeming features and they're just not worth the unlock and are probably in there for padding more than anything else.
    (Which makes it doubly aggravating that other, more interesting weapons aren't in there, like the classic AK47, G3 and MP5 or something like the more modern Vector).

You can get thermal sights, you don't need them. Your brain just hasn't learnt to sort out target from background yet. Keep at it, it'll learn, it just takes time and happens more or less automatically. Try watching youtube videos (in HD) if you find it too demoralising to get shot by people you never see, it won't do it on its own, but it can help a little.

Try watching some of the youtube channels that talk about gameplay. Levelcap and Matimio's come to mind (particularly Levelcap's older stuff which still works in BF4, and Matimio's Mind Games bit). They sound a bit... up themselves to Irish ears, but I guess for Americans, they're just normal :pac: )

Thanks for those links, I reckon you're right, plus I won't really learn until I dump the thermal spotter. Its easier to spot people on some maps than others

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Spear wrote: »
    That's odd, but it if it's consistent it could indicate something. The overall traffic used by any game is usually fairly tiny. But 15 players means more traffic nevertheless, so I wonder if 15 is enough to put it over a certain threshold and trigger something like an anti-DDoS mechanism in your firewall or router. Have you tried disabling them?

Changed the way the main router and the wireless one are linked up and problem solved !
    Had my first full 64 player conquest games today - pure madness at times, but so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Did the hamsters in EA servers died again? Looks like a complete cluster**** again, cant connect to most servers and I see some servers have 20 people queue...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

how do you play as a clan or platoon on ps3 bf4....... not sure whats goin on lol.......
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Thanks for those links, I reckon you're right, plus I won't really learn until I dump the thermal spotter. Its easier to spot people on some maps than others

I would also recommend Xfactorgaming, he has some great tutorials online and even just watching him play inspires and...also depresses me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rivaLxfactor/videos

True, but if I gave him my full BF4 playlist, it'd be a few people long and mine's not even complete :D

Whatever you do, mind, make sure you take a peek at ChaBoy's youtube channel. You won't learn much (well, maybe a sneaky trick or two with C4) but you may wet yourself laughing at some parts...

• Advertisement

Whatever you do, mind, make sure you take a peek at ChaBoy's youtube channel. You won't learn much (well, maybe a sneaky trick or two with C4) but you may wet yourself laughing at some parts...
    Yeah, but he's annoying as fcuk to listen to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

You have to love Azzy though, he's gas.

BTW for those interested, Xfactor just started a new series, How to be a better noob for BF4...

Ah,, most of them are. You get used to it (and with Chaboy's videos, they're as funny muted as they are with sound half the time). I actually find the Scottish lads to be a nice change from the US lads, a few of whom really come across as gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Finally had a good round on 64player, instead of the usually death fest. I employed a new tactic known as 'stay alive'. Not the most original military concept I'll grant you, but it was amazing how much I improved just be playing a little more conservatively.

Question on the mouse setup - I'm finding 800dpi and 15% sensitivity feels pretty comfortable, but does it make any difference using a higher dpi setting on the mouse and lowering the in game setting, say 3200dpi @ ~4% ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

tbh I don't know what are people complaining about. I don't experience the problems everyone seem to be moaning about. no random crashes, no "bad netcode" or whatever they call it. I genuinely enjoy the game :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    tbh I don't know what are people complaining about. I don't experience the problems everyone seem to be moaning about. no random crashes, no "bad netcode" or whatever they call it. I genuinely enjoy the game :):)

No bad netcode, I think youre probably just not very good at the game and therefore dont see it. This is the biggest piece of dog turd Ive ever played, and I loved BF3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

"not very good" - well, I don't think I'm the best, 14% players are better than me, see attachment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

No bad netcode, I think youre probably just not very good at the game and therefore dont see it. This is the biggest piece of dog turd Ive ever played, and I loved BF3!

That or he's better than the average and it doesn't hinder him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

So your saying if fl4pj4ck has no problems playing the game he must be bad at it? :rolleyes:
    What qualifies you to judge his gameplay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

game4it70 wrote: »
    So your saying if fl4pj4ck has no problems playing the game he must be bad at it? :rolleyes:
    What qualifies you to judge his gameplay?

I didnt realise I had to qualify to comment, sorry Boss, can you send me the test and I will see what I can do.

Advertisement