Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

the 100,000s of others
    Who all would know the actual source code in a network stack from a hole in the ground, have years of experience actually writing such code and have seen the source code in battlefield 4 and the underlying libraries in frostbite and windows?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Is there a problem? Yes, there is at least one - but not necessaily only one. Do you know for sure that the bug that got you shot behind cover last night is the same bug that got you shot behind cover last friday? Do you know that it's the same bug that results in trading kills with bullets? The same one that lets you trade kills when using different weapons? The same one that lets you counterknife so readily?

Is the problem the netcode? (BTW, ugh, that word, it's like saying "toothiology" when you mean "dentistry") Could be. Might not be. No way to tell from the anecdotes we have (no, the plural of anecdotes is not data, and no, we don't have data, we have youtube videos taken from servers on networks with unknown configurations and unknown client configurations running in unknown environments triggering events in poorly known timing arrangements). That's it, that's all I'm saying. TL;DR; Problems? Yes. "Netcode" causing them? Don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. Needs proper testing and debugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

It's funny how people like to have the last say in an argument isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's funny how people like to have the last say in an argument isn't it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

BOTTOM LINE IS EA/DICE ARE DOING THIS LONG ENOUGH NOW TO RELEASE A GAME THAT IS AT LEAST 90% RIGHT FFS.

RANT OVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Jesus Christ. One more time, say Netcode one more ****ing time.

• Advertisement

Fine, fine, let's talk about the elephant in the room then Dave.

Megalodon

There. I've said it. Happy now?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Personally, I don't give a ****e which parts of the code are causing the crashes and the glitches. I just want them to fix it please

I'm playing on the xbox 360 and in 2 hours of playing, the game crashed 5 times last night. (and always just as I was about to do something awesome, though generally i'm usually just about to do something awesome that quickly results in a humiliating death)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Yes please can we just move onto something else. What do you all make of this Megladon craic? I think it's class, hopefully it turns out good.

For those that don't know:

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Yes please can we just move onto something else. What do you all make of this Megladon craic? I think it's class, hopefully it turns out good.

For those that don't know:

All that tomfoolery and they cant fix the MTAR21 bug ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think it is over near E you see a sinking aircraft carrier that looks like it had a huge bite taken out of it.

This sounds different as they say you have to trigger it and it's something everyone notices. All the others ate just hidden items or hidden codes for up coming games.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but noone knows how to trigger that sound yet. There's been... extensive "investigation" of a goat in a pen just off to the south of point D on Rogue Transmission that looks like the pen the goat's kept in to attract the T.Rex in Jurassic Park, the poor thing's had every weapon in the game shoved up it at this point, but no result so far. The thread on this on the BF4 forums is now closing in on 4000 posts in three days, the jackfrags video sailed past a quarter million views 48 hours in, and there are a few dozen servers devoted to searching for this thing (and the latest douchebag move is to join one and start shooting people while screaming on the chat channel about how this is all a decoy by Dice or EA for us gullible sheeple while they don't fix the bugs in the game...).

Honestly though, with the number of people looking for this thing in the game and trawling through the game files and so on, it's hard to imagine that a giant easter egg that would make everyone on the server have a WTF moment could stay hidden for so long.

Unless, of course, it's a bug ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the megalodon is real, it may be a long time before it ever appears. Don't forget the Goldfarb easter egg in BF3 only appeared a few months back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU0G62Osgyk

Yeah, but that was a single radio call; what they're looking for is a large tangible object within the game. That's a bit harder to hide...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

So that recon expert assignment... **** all of that, I do not want to have to try get 50 marksman ribbons again..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I love easter eggs dare I mention cod but the easter eggs on the zombie modes kept me playing it just to see them the best most elaborate one I've done was the Shangri-La id love if it was as fun to do as that one

New stuff found on locker including a battlefield 3 top on the ground and 5 switches identical to the Dino switches on mp_dish

http://imgur.com/a/MJODz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is there a page with everything foubnd so far? that battlelog thread hurts my brain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

r/battlefield_4 is probably the best place for all the info

ktulu123 wrote: »
    r/battlefield_4 is probably the best place for all the info

Where ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone having an issue playing online this evening? I can't seem to join any servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Question:

What do PC players think of BF4 versus BF3 now that ye have had time with the former?

(i am asking PC players as they would have both games with 64 players which isn't the case with console obviously)

I'd say BF4 must surely be better now moving away from Close Quarters (COD) and back to big maps?

TBH, I don't think it's moved from CQB to big maps just yet. The CR maps are a push in that direction, but if you're playing as infantry, even on those big maps there's a lot of CQB (the caves in Peaks, the central camp in Silk Road, and so on).

That said, I'm having more fun in some areas of BF4 than I did in those areas of BF3 (flying helos is better than BF3, but could still be improved; the support and recon classes are now far more fun than they used to be; carbines and shotguns being all-kit weapons is an excellent choice; the pistols are a major improvement, especially the shorty; the grenades are pretty solid; and the larger squads make a difference when people work together, especially for infiltration and backraging).

That all said, there are huge issues with the game still, both in terms of the actual game engine's coding and the design of the game itself. A lot of debugging needs to be done, and a lot of work in balancing the game. Some things are in dire need of a nerf (the ACE23, the mobile AA, the scout helo and the attack jet against air targets); others in dire need of a buff (the flashbang grenades, the DMRs, some of the PDWs, the assault helo, the stealth jets against air targets, etc); and others are a bit mad but need to be watched for now to see are they a valid tool against campers (the SUAV & UCAV) or if they're just horribly abused and unbalance the game. So far I've just seen the SUAV be a good thing (rooftop campers? Good as dead these days, minced by a paper plane. Serves them right) but that might just be early days.

And I miss some of the maps from BF3, like Metro and Siene Crossing. They had a nice balance (shut up about Metro, haters :D ). The Second Assault DLC should be an interesting changeup to the current mix.

Suav patched :( still kills one person though I think

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mozattack wrote: »
    Question:

What do PC players think of BF4 versus BF3 now that ye have had time with the former?

(i am asking PC players as they would have both games with 64 players which isn't the case with console obviously)

I'd say BF4 must surely be better now moving away from Close Quarters (COD) and back to big maps?

Overall, I'm not impressed with the maps. The urban ones, such as Dawnbreaker and Shanghai, are a little simplistic, giving little cover. Many of the larger maps are too open and too sparse. Caspian Border was a good example of a large map that was still well balanced. Each of the capture points was still reasonly close to the rest, along with covered roots along the way. Paracel Storm seems fairly close to it's level of balance in that regard. There's a distinct lack of any decent close quarters map. Strike at Karkand, hit a good balance in that regard, and has remained popular as a result. Meatgrinder tunnels like Metro and Locker aren't a substitute.

The vehicles don't help, as I think their surivability level is a bit off. The boats for example need numerous hits, despite not having anywhere near the level of protection of an armoured vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

mozattack wrote: »

Bf3 was better. Even if you remove the glitches in BF4. Too many poor design decisions in BF4 for it to get classic status imho. People knocked the Close Quarters DLC in BF3, but the maps were custom designed for what they wanted. Flow on them was excellent , with just the right bottlenecks.

Domination mode in BF4 is a ****ing joke due to needing to be crammed into already existing maps designed for other modes. Rush is dead now due to terrible ****ing map design and the worst spawn and deployments systems i have ever seen in a game. Obliteration has the same issues...just to be an utter dick the other day on Paracel Storm, and to prove a point to one of the DICE devs and a few guys from EA I drove my attack boat INTO their carrier and just smashed the **** out of everyone and everything the second it spawned.

The critical hit system on vehicles ads a level of "what the **** were they thinking" that i have never experienced. A game that prides itself on vehicle gameplay adds a system that makes the decision to take damage (tank to the front of me, RPG behind me...what do I let hit me?) a total gamble, instead of letting me work the numbers and make decisions based on facts.

It's got too many flaws right now to be considered on a par with BF3, just because the maps are bigger and a few ****ing tards in the community think that is what makes the game in the first place.

Said to myself last night for the 1st time after so many terrible buggy situations WTF AM I PLAYING THIS FOR!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Ques seem to be working again, first time since Battlefield 3. (Xbox)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Lads is proxy scan on the tanks and lavs broken or wtf is going is on??

Advertisement