Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

the funniest part i found was when the gay lad's phone went off in his pocket. I thought that was hilarious and well improvised, its my first time watching it and i wont be going out of my way to watch it again but if its on and i see it ill throw it on for a bit of a laugh, it isn't something id watch repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Nermal wrote: »
    I miss the days when the BBC had a mandate to 'inform, educate and entertain', this tripe would fail on all three counts.

Lord Reith is spinning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

A truly awful programme... I'm amazed that this rubbish racks up numerous awards & huge audiences. Inexplicable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

trashcan wrote: »
    I've got no problem accepting that. Doesn't change my view though. The fact that millions like something doesn't automatically make it good. That's the Louis Walsh school of thought.

If ten million people are watching it and laughing at it then it must be funny by definition. Nobody's forcing them to watch it. If others think it is unfunny, that's fine, but they can't go telling the ten million what they should be laughing at or find funny.

Strazdas wrote: »
    If ten million people are watching it and laughing at it then it must be funny by definition. Nobody's forcing them to watch it. If others think it is unfunny, that's fine, but they can't go telling the ten million what they should be laughing at or find funny.

Ten million would easily tune into a live televised public execution. Doesn't mean it's entertaining though.

• Advertisement

Ten million would easily tune into a live televised public execution. Doesn't mean it's entertaining though.

If MBB was the most watched programme on British TV on Christmas Day, then it clearly IS entertaining. If others can't stand the show, that's their own business but it's a bit odd for them to be telling the many millions of people that are laughing along with the programme that they're laughing at something "unfunny".

If MBB was the most watched programme on British TV on Christmas Day, then it clearly IS entertaining. If others can't stand the show, that's their own business but it's a bit odd for them to be telling the many millions of people that are laughing along with the programme that they're laughing at something "unfunny".

If MBB was the most watched programme on British TV on Christmas Day, then it's a very sad indictment about the very poor state of British TV these days.

If MBB was the most watched programme on British TV on Christmas Day, then it's a very sad indictment about the very poor state of British TV these days.

MBB is what it is. It's not even claiming to be a ground breaking sitcom or to be brilliant or original or clever. It's a simple, old fashioned comedy which draws heavily on the sitcoms of the 1970s.....none of that makes it unfunny though.

MBB is what it is. It's not even claiming to be a ground breaking sitcom or to be brilliant or original or clever. It's a simple, old fashioned comedy which draws heavily on the sitcoms of the 1970s.....none of that makes it unfunny though.

MBB is what it is. It's not even claiming to be a ground breaking sitcom or to be brilliant or original or clever. It's a simple, old fashioned comedy which draws steals heavily on the rubbish sitcoms of the 1970s.....none of that makes it funny though.

(That's better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

To be honest, its not really. It aired at what time? 9pm? In a lot of households, everyone was plonked in front of the television anyway and everyone was either asleep, or too drunk to change to anything else. Plus its not like there was great choice on.

I actually watched a surprisingly small amount of TV this year because I felt so little of interest was on.

• Advertisement

MBB is what it is. It's not even claiming to be a ground breaking sitcom or to be brilliant or original or clever. It's a simple, old fashioned comedy which draws steals heavily on the rubbish sitcoms of the 1970s.....none of that makes it funny though.

(That's better)

Brendan O'Carroll has even freely admitted that he has stolen ideas from many other shows and that he is strongly influenced by the comedy stars of the 70s. At no point has he claimed to be original or to be doing anything that hasn't been seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

well there is a new episode tonight....cant wait...bring on the laughs! (and record ratings)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's just not funny, in any way.

Can't understand how people watch this.

The acting and so called jokes are abysmal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_March_1933

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MBB is what it is. It's not even claiming to be a ground breaking sitcom or to be brilliant or original or clever. It's a simple, old fashioned comedy which draws heavily on re-uses the tired old jokes from the sitcoms of the 1970s.....none of that makes it unfunny though.

There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

It need have no worries about being accused of being brilliant/groundbreaking or comedic and O caroll seemto think cursing makes his unfunny rubbish funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

But like I said in an earlier post- it's not that I expect people to only find what I laugh at to be funny too, or that they shouldn't find MBB funny. If people get a laugh out of it then best of luck to them. I just still will never ever understand how anyone, never mind ten million, could find it funny. I watched a few clips actually yesterday on YouTube from the Christmas special just to see maybe I was being a bit harsh. I didn't even raise so much as a smile. It was just as awful (IMO) as it always is. Ten flipping million people sat through that?! It's just baffling is all. I just don't get it.

Meangadh wrote: »
    But like I said in an earlier post- it's not that I expect people to only find what I laugh at to be funny too, or that they shouldn't find MBB funny. If people get a laugh out of it then best of luck to them. I just still will never ever understand how anyone, never mind ten million, could find it funny. I watched a few clips actually yesterday on YouTube from the Christmas special just to see maybe I was being a bit harsh. I didn't even raise so much as a smile. It was just as awful (IMO) as it always is. Ten flipping million people sat through that?! It's just baffling is all. I just don't get it.

The problem people seem to have with it is that it is too simple and lowbrow as well as being dated and old fashioned. But it has never claimed to be anything else....Brendan says his sole aim is to produce a comedy that makes people laugh.

I'm not sure why every comedy has to be highbrow, thought provoking and "clever" anyway.....there surely is room for this type of pantomime / slapstick show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The problem people seem to have with it is that it is too simple and lowbrow as well as being dated and old fashioned. But it has never claimed to be anything else....Brendan says his sole aim is to produce a comedy that makes people laugh.

I'm not sure why every comedy has to be highbrow, thought provoking and "clever" anyway.....there surely is room for this type of pantomime / slapstick show too.

Problem is there is better pantomine and slapstick out there.

Elmo wrote: »
    Problem is there is better pantomine and slapstick out there.

Father Ted was a briiliant comedy, very well written and quite subversive and surreal at times.

MBB is more old school, relying heavily on slapstick and pantomime and obvious one liners and old jokes. (It does have some interesting aspects though such as Mrs Brown frequently breaking the fourth wall and ad libbing). As old fashioned slapstick sitcoms go, it works very well. The huge audience speaks for itself....if it was a naff and lame old fashioned comedy, nobody would be watching.

• Advertisement

Father Ted was a briiliant comedy, very well written and quite subversive and surreal at times.

MBB is more old school, relying heavily on slapstick and pantomime and obvious one liners and old jokes. (It does have some interesting aspects though such as Mrs Brown frequently breaking the fourth wall and ad libbing). As old fashioned slapstick sitcoms go, it works very well. The huge audience speaks for itself....if it was a naff and lame old fashioned comedy, nobody would be watching.

Don't be fooled by the supposed ad-libbing. The ad-libbing is well scripted in advance.

Don't be fooled by the supposed ad-libbing. The ad-libbing is well scripted in advance.

In that case, O'Carroll is cleverer than anyone is giving him credit for, as he is able to make people laugh with his ad libs, whether genuine or fake.

In that case, O'Carroll is cleverer than anyone is giving him credit for, as he is able to make people laugh with his ad libs, whether genuine or fake.

Nah, it just means that his jokes are about as transparent as a pane of glass.

Nah, it just means that his jokes are about as transparent as a pane of glass.

But he's not claiming to be a brilliant scriptwriter or comedy genius. He even made a gag in last episode about one of his one liners being lame and obvious. To say the jokes are not as good as Fawlty Towers or Only Fools And Horses or Father Ted is missing the point......it's not even trying to be a great sitcom, just one that makes people laugh.

But he's not claiming to be a brilliant scriptwriter or comedy genius. He even made a gag in last episode about one of his one liners being lame and obvious. To say the jokes are not as good as Fawlty Towers or Only Fools And Horses or Father Ted is missing the point......it's not even trying to be a great sitcom, just one that makes people laugh.

It doesn't make me laugh. Last night's episode was just plain embarrassing. "Mrs Brown mistakenly uses super glue instead of air freshener, and hilarious consequences ensue, especially when she goes to the toilet" :rolleyes:

It doesn't make me laugh. Last night's episode was just plain embarrassing. "Mrs Brown mistakenly uses super glue instead of air freshener, and hilarious consequences ensue, especially when she goes to the toilet" :rolleyes:

Well there's clearly an audience for this old style bawdy and slapstick comedy, perhaps even a very big audience that has been neglected by TV executives for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Well there's clearly an audience for this old style bawdy and slapstick comedy, perhaps even a very big audience that has been neglected by TV executives for too long.

There's always a big audience for crap, that's why the ratings argument that MBB's proponents is invalid. Dreadful rubbish like Bless This House, Mind Your Language, Terry and June, Never the Twain and Bread amongst others also had big ratings but they were all terrible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'd agree with you here. I think that sit-com in general has been over looked for the pass 10 years instead TV exes have opted for Mockumentaries.

Both UK and US SitComs are not as good as the past this might change as the genre regains its popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Just because it doesn't make you laugh doesn't mean it doesn't make other people laugh. Why should TV only exist if you find it enjoyable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just watched a bit there while skimming channels. Christ Im glad Im in me own home and not with my parents for that scene with Winnie and Agnes. If I was at home Id want the ground to swallow me.

Edit: I got home tonight having spent christmas with the folks. If I'd said "Sure, i'll go early tomorrow instead", I could easily been in the front room with Winnie appearing to go down on Agnes, with my parents sat next to me.

Maybe the reason the viewings are so high for it is that it is the lowest common denominator. If I was at home tonight, the choice for what to watch would have been

Raiders of the Lost Ark Me: yes Parents:No
    Terminator Salvation Me: yes Parents:No
    Star Wars Episode VI Me: yes Parents:No
    Falling for a dancer Me: No thanks Parents: Yeah maybe
    Love Actually: Me: Again? Parents: Again?!?
    Mrs Brown My Ma: Shure theres nothing else on. Might give us a giggle. Me: Please god no elderly girl on girl action.

Advertisement