Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There's a difference between thinking it's inferior to great comedies and people flat out saying they're superior because they don't watch it. It's all television, shows are better than others, people are not. Sorry, don't mean to be too over enthused (it is just a TV show after all); the snobbery around not liking this show just grates me. Merry Christmas :)

I think the same snobbery applies to those that think it is excellent. Tbh.

You are right it is only a tv show.

Have a good Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

watching christmas special, this isn't too bad.must have got new writers. hated it when i first saw it a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's watched by people who don't appreciate decent comedians, hence why they can't figure out that the baldy little bastard is stealing all their jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this is how i reacted after watching that xmas special tripe....

i can't take it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sixth Form Poet ‏@sixthformpoet 4h
    In the new Dr Who, the doctor travels back in time and shows the Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas special to John Logie Baird, who kills himself.

lols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,152 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Take a guess which programme was the ratings winner yesterday with over 9.4 million viewers, beating Downton, Eastenders, Doctor Who and Coronation Street?

*jumps out of window*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The acid test for a comedy is "Does it make you laugh?". I watched a couple of episodes and I didn't utter as much as one titter. I'm afraid I grew out of that kind of "comedy" somewhere in my early teens. It is gob-smackingly awful.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Sixth Form Poet ‏@sixthformpoet 4h
    In the new Dr Who, the doctor travels back in time and shows the Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas special to John Logie Baird, who kills himself.

It is easy to understand why some comedians have a prime time show on the BBC and others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

brian_t wrote: »
    It is easy to understand why some comedians have a prime time show on the BBC and others don't.

I honestly don't think it is easy to understand. I'm fooked if I know why Brendan O'Carroll gets a primetime show on the BBC. It's one of the great unsolved mysteries of our time.

I laughed a couple of times at the Christmas special so I was happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I LOL several times, the part with mammy on the tree was a riot!....even BOC got a pretty decent swipe in at the banks, and its ratings speak for itself.....this show is as close the BBC can get to the glory days of the great British comedy.....and its Irish! :D

It beat everything, it'll beat Sherlock ffs!.....haters need to rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I endured 40 minutes of this on Christmas Day. Majority rules in the house. Absolute garbage. Why does O'Carroll think that dropping the f-bomb every second sentence is acceptable or funny? Like a lot of so called humor these days, they are so intent on vulgarity and swearing. It's pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

jenjenten wrote: »
    I LOL several times, the part with mammy on the tree was a riot!....even BOC got a pretty decent swipe in at the banks, and its ratings speak for itself.....this show is as close the BBC can get to the glory days of the great British comedy.....and its Irish! :D

It beat everything, it'll beat Sherlock ffs!.....haters need to rethink.

But see for me personally it's not about being a "hater"- I don't begrudge BOC his success- Jesus there's enough misery in the world as it is, if he's making people laugh and making money for himself in the process then best of luck to him.

My issue is that I have no idea HOW he's so successful or how the hell anyone finds Mrs. Brown funny. Like I find it utterly baffling. I know humour is very subjective but you're not talking a handful of people here, you're talking into the millions probably when you add Ireland and the UK. And yet I would rather watch paint dry- I mean that literally- than endure Mrs. Brown. I can't for the life of me see what's funny about it- the jokes are lame, predictable and cringey, he is often very crude, and the whole man dressed as a woman thing just smacks of parish panto Dame. And yet people lap this $hit up?! Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭trashcan

!.....haters need to rethink.

We really don't. I don't care how many millions watched it on Christmas night, it's still pathetic shi-ite. And no Brendan, it's not an anti working class thing. It's more of a "you're not funny" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

trashcan wrote: »
    We really don't. I don't care how many millions watched it on Christmas night, it's still pathetic shi-ite. And no Brendan, it's not an anti working class thing. It's more of a "you're not funny" thing.

Yet millions disagree with you? Why can't people just accept different people find different things entertaining?

Yet millions disagree with you? Why can't people just accept different people find different things entertaining?

I think we have been saying that. Yet millions disagree with us, that does change that many others don't like Mrs. Brown's Boys.
    LOL several times, the part with mammy on the tree was a riot!....even BOC got a pretty decent swipe in at the banks, and its ratings speak for itself.....this show is as close the BBC can get to the glory days of the great British comedy.....and its Irish!

Lets just be clear about classic British comedy, what ones do you think off when you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how the hell did that blonde nordie get the part?? she's more wooden than a wardrobe

fryup wrote: »
    how the hell did that blonde nordie get the part?? she's more wooden than a wardrobe

She's Brendan O'Carroll's daughter-in-law, I think. She wouldn't get the job otherwise. She's a shockingly bad actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think I've worked what the attraction is with the British for Mrs Brown. It's just the British having a laugh at the dysfunctional Irish. They're laughing at us; not with us.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭trashcan

I've got no problem accepting that. Doesn't change my view though. The fact that millions like something doesn't automatically make it good. That's the Louis Walsh school of thought.

trashcan wrote: »
    I've got no problem accepting that. Doesn't change my view though. The fact that millions like something doesn't automatically make it good. That's the Louis Walsh school of thought.

Louisthink !

What 70s and 80s comedy does mrs Browne remind you of?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's shockingly awful.

I have no clue as to why millions of people like it. According to reports a lot seem to be British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Elmo wrote: »
    Louisthink !

What 70s and 80s comedy does mrs Browne remind you of?

See post 294?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Seriously.... There's far more important things in the world to moan about than Mrs Browns boys

She's Brendan O'Carroll's daughter-in-law, I think. She wouldn't get the job otherwise. She's a shockingly bad actor.

She seems very bitchy as well....dunno, its like she hates being there, she looks like a girl who would smile to your face and be right bitchy behind your back!

She does have nice hair though........

fryup wrote: »

Her accent is VERY strong....comes accoss as harsh :(

did anyone watch tonight episode , I could not stop laughing my brother & I were in stiches

did anyone watch tonight episode , I could not stop laughing my brother & I were in stiches

Toilet humour. Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

I miss the days when the BBC had a mandate to 'inform, educate and entertain', this tripe would fail on all three counts.

Advertisement