Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I'm totally hooked on this since I got my PS4, have barely played any of the other games I got. It's just ridiculously fun to play. Have only been touching the main story every now and then, have been spending most of my time wreaking havoc on the seas.

I love the soundtrack too, bought it and all. The piratey version of the main Assassin's Creed theme is great, and sets the tone for the whole game really. More bombastic than the usual slightly introspective sounding theme.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

danthefan wrote: »
    Started into sequence 5 and I have full access now. The game doesn't explain things very well.

Don't mind me :o

Actually turns out to be a decent way to make money, set my ships off on some missions, went to bed, and woke up with about 10k reals.

Just need some Man O'Wars now!

Glad it's sorted!

The best place to get the best Men O'War is down in the south western corner. If you look at them through the scope, they'll be level 49 I think.

You can also get the "best" Man O'War by killing the hunter version of the Man O'War, but to be honest, I didn't need to, the level 49 ones are good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

CatInABox wrote: »
    Glad it's sorted!

The best place to get the best Men O'War is down in the south western corner. If you look at them through the scope, they'll be level 49 I think.

You can also get the "best" Man O'War by killing the hunter version of the Man O'War, but to be honest, I didn't need to, the level 49 ones are good enough.

Cheers, have two of them now. I normally keep my wanted level down, the hunters are a total nuisance most of the time!
    NotorietyH wrote: »
    I'm totally hooked on this since I got my PS4, have barely played any of the other games I got. It's just ridiculously fun to play. Have only been touching the main story every now and then, have been spending most of my time wreaking havoc on the seas.

I love the soundtrack too, bought it and all. The piratey version of the main Assassin's Creed theme is great, and sets the tone for the whole game really. More bombastic than the usual slightly introspective sounding theme.

Exact same, it's taken up about 80% of my gametime on the PS4 so far. It's such a fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

really considering picking this up on next gen after owning it on the 360.I miss my crew singing while i plunder little schooners.Never beat those legendary ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I took a break from this, due to work and Battlefield 4 being released.

The only way I can do the main missions in this is by fast travelling to the location. Otherwise I spend my time attacking ships and forts, harpooning and exploring. It's crazy! I must have had about 20-25 hours out in and a similar percentage complete.

I think it's a great game, but at the same time I don't think it's the best in the series. AC II for me was the best. What Black Flag suffers from I think is the absolute size and scale of the game. As a result the story doesn't seem as important or driven and the characters are harder to relate too, compared to AC II.

Even still, if anyone is on the fence regarding whether or not you should buy this, do. It's excellent. The improvement over AC 3 is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is this still €45 in Supervalu does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just done with the main story on the PS4 loved every min of it ok the story wasn't the best but the gameplay and the graphics where epic on it just such a easy game to enjoy.

The plan now it to trophy hunt on to i am sick of the game LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I have just completed sequence 4 (xbox 360 version).

Like many of you, I have spent hours cleaning places out, getting all the chests and animus pieces in every island and entire area I have been to.

Now I can swim underwater so I assume I can now explore the underwater wrecks. Just killed my first killer whale, which was easy enough as I have my harpoons and its boat upgraded to the last. I have found it difficult until now to get a lot of metal needed for jackdaw upgrades, so my ships fighting power isnt that great. I have yet to beat a Man O' War ship.

Good game, loads to do but I plan on getting most of it done between now and the end of this year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You need the diving bell before you can explore the wrecks. Think it's sequence 6.

Backfire wrote: »
    I have just completed sequence 4 (xbox 360 version).

Like many of you, I have spent hours cleaning places out, getting all the chests and animus pieces in every island and entire area I have been to.

Now I can swim underwater so I assume I can now explore the underwater wrecks. Just killed my first killer whale, which was easy enough as I have my harpoons and its boat upgraded to the last. I have found it difficult until now to get a lot of metal needed for jackdaw upgrades, so my ships fighting power isnt that great. I have yet to beat a Man O' War ship.

Good game, loads to do but I plan on getting most of it done between now and the end of this year.

If you go into one of the medium difficulty areas it should be very easy to find frigates with loads of metal, I had the same problem as you but I think I've more metal than anything else now.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    If you go into one of the medium difficulty areas it should be very easy to find frigates with loads of metal, I had the same problem as you but I think I've more metal than anything else now.

Thats good to know. :)
    I have only just entered my first medium area. Plenty of assassin contracts to do and i plan on doing them all before moving onto sequence 5 missions. That will take some time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Swore off all AC's after loving ACII and Brotherhood. Despised ACIII. But this is fantastic.. its my favourite AC game and i'm only on Sequence 6! Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

I can't stress enough how important this game was for Ubisoft. Its their AC2 to AC3....if that makes any sense...:p

If this one had bombed, they were in serious danger of becoming another COD type franchise. I don't mind a game per year if they keep the quality this high.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,634 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just got my copy for PS4, can't wait to lash into it reading all the positive comments on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I just got my copy for PS4, can't wait to lash into it reading all the positive comments on this thread!

It's not without flaws though. I mean, I loved it and put tons of hours in but it has issues.

Graphically it's good but not brilliant. It's a bit grainy and while the water looks fantastic, GTA V is a slightly better looking open world game.

The combat isn't fantastic either, both melee and naval. Melee combat is still a counter fest meaning all the weapons are basically the same. As fun as the naval fights are, more depth is needed. It's a bit arcadey. Boarding other ships is brilliant for an hour or two but it gets very samey the 100th time you've done it. More variation is needed.

The tail/follow/eavesdrop missions are kind of irritating as well as some are very well designed and others have a terrible layout. There also still isn't enough mission variety even after six games which is both hilarious and upsetting. You do a lot of the same stuff over and over again. You frequently free run up objects you don't want to which is a pain.

Having said all that, it's a great game and I'd recommend it. I'm not bashing it. It's really very good. It's just not perfect so don't go in with huge expectations and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Go in expecting AC3, and you'll love it. :pac:

Kirby wrote: »
    The tail/follow/eavesdrop missions are kind of irritating as well as some are very well designed and others have a terrible layout. There also still isn't enough mission variety even after six games which is both hilarious and upsetting. You do a lot of the same stuff over and over again. You frequently free run up objects you don't want to which is a pain.

This is definitely my main problem with the game, the eavesdropping missing are not fun.

I'm still enjoying the naval combat and the actual combat is generally so brief that it doesn't bother me too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kirby wrote: »
    The tail/follow/eavesdrop missions are kind of irritating as well as some are very well designed and others have a terrible layout.

That's the thing with these missions, they all seem to have one "Level Designer Preferred" route through them, and when you are following that intended route, the missions are a breeze, and are actually fun.

The problem occurs when I can't tell which way the level designer wants me to go.

When I went back through the sequences to 100% the game, I found a lot more of the optimal routes through those missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CatInABox wrote: »
    That's the thing with these missions, they all seem to have one "Level Designer Preferred" route through them, and when you are following that intended route, the missions are a breeze, and are actually fun.

The problem occurs when I can't tell which way the level designer wants me to go.

When I went back through the sequences to 100% the game, I found a lot more of the optimal routes through those missions.

My issue with all the tailing missions are the completely random restricted areas which suddenly form. It adds annoyance rather than variety or a challenge.

Just got to Nassau, game is just a joy to explore. Haven't just gone free running around a town for the pure joy of it since Brotherhood. Trail missions are still a pain in the hole tho. I was nver into the whole naval sections of 3 but it's just class having a crew of pirates, discovering little islands, crashing into rogue waves and best of all the full speed is really fast and doesn't feel like a chore going one place to another.

Do the real world sequences start automatically or do I have to exit the animus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Just got to Nassau, game is just a joy to explore. Haven't just gone free running around a town for the pure joy of it since Brotherhood. Trail missions are still a pain in the hole tho. I was nver into the whole naval sections of 3 but it's just class having a crew of pirates, discovering little islands, crashing into rogue waves and best of all the full speed is really fast and doesn't feel like a chore going one place to another.

Do the real world sequences start automatically or do I have to exit the animus?

ive had 2 real world sequences so far and they both started automatically for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can leave any time you want after the first RW sequence and hack and computers you may have missed and scan QR codes with your PDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My mam asked me what PS3 game I wanted for Christmas. You can guess what one I picked! :D

I must finish Revelations, start III so I can then really appreciate Black Flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They start automatically after certain sequences, and once you've done the first one you can exit and enter as you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

the cry freedom dlc is due tuesday....i ave the season pass, good value to 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I hope some DLC will bring further upgrades to the Jackdaw, then i shall have you El Impoluto!!!

jenjenten wrote: »
    the cry freedom dlc is due tuesday....i ave the season pass, good value to 20 euro.

Is that an addition to the singleplayer or multiplayer?

I have started into sequence 6 and i now have the diving bell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Backfire wrote: »
    Is that an addition to the singleplayer or multiplayer?

I have started into sequence 6 and i now have the diving bell :)

cry freedom and aveline are single player dlc.... 3-5 hours worth i belive.

I hope some DLC will bring further upgrades to the Jackdaw, then i shall have you El Impoluto!!!

My guess is that it's going to be almost totally seperate, like the Avaline stuff, but with a much higher quality, based upon the function of the main game

• Advertisement

Just sailing around yesterday and saw my 1st Man O War just sail up beside me, was class! Loving sailing around, jump onto a little island, plunder it for all it's worth and then head back onto the open waves singing shanties with the boys even though I don't know the words!

Anyone else never able to log into U Play at the main menu?

Advertisement