Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Myrddin wrote: »
    To try harder in Quali? I doubt there is ever a driver out there on Saturdays not giving 110%. The Quali trophy for me personally, isn't one the drivers will be motivated by at all.

What about the drivers that don't set a time in Q3? That's not 110%. Although I agree that this still won't motivate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

christy c wrote: »
    What about the drivers that don't set a time in Q3? That's not 110%. Although I agree that this still won't motivate them

If those drivers were actually in with a hope of getting pole don't you think they'd try by setting times? When a driver doesn't set a time it's because they team know they're gonna be 9th/10th at best & the best option is to conserve tyres.

If those drivers were actually in with a hope of getting pole don't you think they'd try by setting times? When a driver doesn't set a time it's because they team know they're gonna be 9th/10th at best & the best option is to conserve tyres.

Sometimes, yes. Other times it's about a different strategy, maybe starting on hards when everyone else is on softs, not 110%. Anyway I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, this trophy won't make any difference.

christy c wrote: »
    Sometimes, yes. Other times it's about a different strategy, maybe starting on hards when everyone else is on softs, not 110%. Anyway I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, this trophy won't make any difference.

In all honesty, if the entire top ten was in with a chance of pole, there wouldn't be a single driver in Q3 not setting a time. When a driver doesn't set a time, that driver & team know pole is not a reality...& a gimmicky pole trophy won't change that in the slightest. Yes it's not 110% when you don't set a time, but a trophy that you're never going to win anyway won't change that approach at all.

In all honesty, if the entire top ten was in with a chance of pole, there wouldn't be a single driver in Q3 not setting a time. When a driver doesn't set a time, that driver & team know pole is not a reality...& a gimmicky pole trophy won't change that in the slightest. Yes it's not 110% when you don't set a time, but a trophy that you're never going to win anyway won't change that approach at all.

We're close to agreement, that'll do me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

logik wrote: »
    Yes, in the last four years Vettel would have taken the trophy for sure but here is hoping that next year changes. I am holding out for other teams being closer to Red Bull in 2014, the sport needs a shake up. Is this trophy another attempt to motivate the drivers/teams to try harder in qualifying and bringing more of a spectacle to the fans...

Hamilton had more poles then Vettle in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Hamilton had more poles then Vettle in 2012

You are right, sorry about that. Ham 7 - 5 Vet.

I think the stat is Vettel would have won the last four out of five years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Caterham posted a video fo their 2014 chassis being crash tested, as seen here:

It's very interesting indeed. BUT, what's even more interesting is the indent the nose structure left on the crash wall.
    BbXl8qFCQAA1dpB.png

The shape of the impact, and the colouration thanks to the carbon gives away the design for their nose. Craig Scarborough, or Scarbs F1 on twitter has a keen eye for this sort of thing. (He drew the ugly nose render in ).

He did a quick drawing of what the Caterham nose during the test looked like. And to be honest, I don't think it's all that terrible.BbX5i2ECQAAOeYr.jpg

The vanity panel will make all the difference.
    BbX2gHECYAAmzeQ.jpg

Great video. Very tight nose alright and looking like the old Brawn nose, albeit narrower. I wonder how many teams will cover the whole nose and thus widen it for airflow purposes. In defence of the narrower nose, you can direct more airflow onto the floor section and under the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

dissapointed to see di resta missing out for this season, any hope for him or is it case of waiting until 2015 , imo a good driver who has done a good job at FI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

sutil now gone to sauber for 14. good move for sauber after losing hulk.

perez at FI, glad that perez is getting another chances, he was harshly shown the door at mclaren, he has a chance to find some form like he had a sauber in 12. F1 will had a pretty good lineup for 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I can see Di Resta moving stateside to IndyCar or something, I don't think he'd hang around waiting for a drive for 2015.

I'm happy for Sutil going to Sauber and I hope he does well there.

I can see Di Resta moving stateside to IndyCar or something, I don't think he'd hang around waiting for a drive for 2015.

I'm happy for Sutil going to Sauber and I hope he does well there.

Do you guys really rate Sutil? I think he is average to poor. Paul was a better driver over the course of their shared time at FI.

Sauber will most likely stick with Esteban now. Sutil will lose his seat in 2015 to make way for the Russian young blood.

Do you guys really rate Sutil? I think he is average to poor. Paul was a better driver over the course of their shared time at FI.

Sauber will most likely stick with Esteban now. Sutil will lose his seat in 2015 to make way for the Russian young blood.

I'm with you on that one. Sutil has never done anything that made me pay attention to him (okay, maybe to him but not his driving ;))

Paul has been a much better driver than him this year. It is sad that he's out of F1, but I think he has a better future in Indycar tbh. Many think he's a good heir to Dario's throne, but that remains to be seen.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one. Sutil has never done anything that made me pay attention to him (okay, maybe to him but not his driving ;))

Paul has been a much better driver than him this year. It is sad that he's out of F1, but I think he has a better future in Indycar tbh. Many think he's a good heir to Dario's throne, but that remains to be seen.

Yeah, I do think if Paul goes to Indycar, he will do a good job there. Sutil has a little bit of money behind him so he essentially bought his seat in Sauber for 2014. I think Sauber would have been better off with Paul or to be honest, a driver like Kobyashi etc.

Yeah, I do think if Paul goes to Indycar, he will do a good job there. Sutil has a little bit of money behind him so he essentially bought his seat in Sauber for 2014. I think Sauber would have been better off with Paul or to be honest, a driver like Kobyashi etc.

Kamui would have absolutely killed it this year. Him and Nico would have been a great team for Sauber. It's an absolute shame that he isn't driving in F1.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Kamui would have absolutely killed it this year. Him and Nico would have been a great team for Sauber. It's an absolute shame that he isn't driving in F1.

He was great alright and very exciting to watch. F1 needs more exciting drivers. Remember his podium at Suzuka? Fantastic drive from another talent kicked out of F1 because of lack of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

He was great alright and very exciting to watch. F1 needs more exciting drivers. Remember his podium at Suzuka? Fantastic drive from another talent kicked out of F1 because of lack of money...

Autosport did an analysis last year of Perez Vs Koby and their conclusion was Koby would have a better choice for Mclaren.

EJ was right about Sutil going to Sauber - he has very good sources ! - would have liked another driver get an opportunity , Sutil did ot do much at Force India this year.

I dunno, a Pole Position trophy just seems gimmicky to me...the drivers want the drivers championship & the team want the constructors...anything else is pretty meaningless really. More so when you consider Vettel would have one the Pole Position trophy for four of the last five years I think...it's won already if you ask me.
    Very gimmicky. The position should be its own reward. And funny enough it generally is, even in the few races when they have to stop after a handful of laps it's still the guys who started and the front who work back up there.

• Advertisement

Very gimmicky. The position should be its own reward. And funny enough it generally is, even in the few races when they have to stop after a handful of laps it's still the guys who started and the front who work back up there.

Not to mention the reward of avoiding turn 1 collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Would the likes of massa own a private collection of Ferrari chassis from his years there?

mickdw wrote: »
    Would the likes of massa own a private collection of Ferrari chassis from his years there?

No, drivers don't get to keep the chassis they use. Can you imagine if drivers were allowed to keep their last years chassis. They jump ship to another team, that team sends in their engineers to strip the car down and learn EVERYTHING about how the car works to help improve their own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Coll present but at the same time so utterly useless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Not completely useless ... :D

Mustang-engine-coffee-table-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Stick it into a van or something. You'll then have the fastest and loudest van in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

No, drivers don't get to keep the chassis they use. Can you imagine if drivers were allowed to keep their last years chassis. They jump ship to another team, that team sends in their engineers to strip the car down and learn EVERYTHING about how the car works to help improve their own car.

Jenson Button got his Brawn chassis and there are other examples over the years.

Reality is there is so much personel movement between teams and so much 'spying' going on at the tracks, airports ! etc that there are very few 'secrets' between teams.

I think that race holds a very special place in Massa's heart, & I thought it was a fitting departing gift to him by Ferrari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Not sure if this should be in an F1 2014 thread, but drivers are starting to choose their numbers, as Motorsport.com says:

After the FIA kicked off the selection process, telling drivers they should name their top three picks between 2-99, it has already emerged that Force India's Sergio Perez has plumped for number 11.

It is believed Fernando Alonso considers 14 to be his lucky number, Jean-Eric Vergne wants the iconic 27, and Nico Rosberg has asked to carry number 6, which was raced to the 1982 title by his father Keke.

Now, adding the hashtag 'Bo77as', Williams driver Valtteri Bottas has told his 49,000 followers on Twitter that he has put down 77 as his first choice.

Felipe Massa has nominated the number 19, but others - like new Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo - aren't saying.

Advertisement