Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Infoanon wrote: »
    Jenson Button got his Brawn chassis and there are other examples over the years.

Reality is there is so much personel movement between teams and so much 'spying' going on at the tracks, airports ! etc that there are very few 'secrets' between teams.

I would imagine that giving a chassis to a driver would very much depend on the regulations for the following year. If the regulations were staying the same and a driver that won the championship was moving team, i would very much doubt that he would be given the chassis.

If the regulations were changing so that the chassis was useless for the following year, then I can't see a reason why the team would not give the driver the chassis, like in Button's instance.

Button actually had to sue to get an actual car that he'd raced, they wanted to manufacture a replica and you can be sure it would have had some IP removed if they'd done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

logik wrote: »
    I would imagine that giving a chassis to a driver would very much depend on the regulations for the following year. If the regulations were staying the same and a driver that won the championship was moving team, i would very much doubt that he would be given the chassis.

If the regulations were changing so that the chassis was useless for the following year, then I can't see a reason why the team would not give the driver the chassis, like in Button's instance.

I think it also depends on the team's approach to this. I know that McLaren keep all the trophies earned by the drivers and that if you get a trophy racing for McLaren you'll have to pay for a replica one that you can keep.

I imagine a lot of the teams keep one chassis for their own collection, and another as a show car that comes out for filming or promo events. There's two there, and if the driver wants to keep one, there aren't exactly many to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Alonso raced with 14 during his kart years, so I could see him going with that.

Zcott wrote: »

I imagine a lot of the teams keep one chassis for their own collection, and another as a show car that comes out for filming or promo events. There's two there, and if the driver wants to keep one, there aren't exactly many to choose from.

Something that Ferrari do is F1 Clienti where they sell F1 cars to rich people for track days. I think they keep them in the factory and ship them out when the client wants to drive them, with a full support team etc.

The starting price is in the millions, plus fees for maintenance and support, shipping etc for each event. Its quite a money spinner so another reason they wouldn't just gift one to Massa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Eddie Irvine weighs in on the points debacle. Nail on the head. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9078823/eddie-irvine-has-branded-the-idea-of-double-points-at-the-season-finale-as-insanity
    It's ridiculous, I've never heard such a joke in all my life. Talk about tinsel town bulls***! I think Formula 1 has lost its way. This latest rule of double points for the last race is insanity. That actually made me realise I am not going to watch another race until that rule gets kicked out. That is just embarrassing. It really is. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I just think the people involved in these decisions have lost the plot. They have no understanding of reality and the people who are in there have been in too long. They have blown up the history of the sport by changing the points, changing the qualifying and now double points for the final race!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ferrari to unveil their engine tomorrow.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Ferrari to unveil their engine tomorrow.

Will it be down on power? Looking forward to seeing where they are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Will it be down on power? Looking forward to seeing where they are at.

I don't buy all the this engine is better than theirs stuff. I doubt there is anyone that has seen and tested all three engines. All I think can be said is we will see where they are all at next season.

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't buy all the this engine is better than theirs stuff. I doubt there is anyone that has seen and tested all three engines. All I think can be said is we will see where they are all at next season.

How so? I mean, it is no secret for example, the Mercedes engine has been the more powerful of the engines in the V8 era. Word was that Mercedes have a good engine for next year as does Renault and that Ferrari early leaks suggested that it would be the weaker of the 3 engines. Thats not to say it wont be more reliable than the others.

Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

How so? I mean, it is no secret for example, the Mercedes engine has been the more powerful of the engines in the V8 era. Word was that Mercedes have a good engine for next year as does Renault and that Ferrari early leaks suggested that it would be the weaker of the 3 engines. Thats not to say it wont be more reliable than the others.

Time will tell.

Without solid performance data its all just rumors. Just because the Merc V8 was more powerful then the Renault doesn't mean they wont make a crappy V6. The odds are unlikely as Merc/AMG make some of the best engines available but still... until datais available or the cars hit the track we wont know anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Bb1-0OWIEAALiTF.png:large

So Mercedes take two of Red Bulls staff. Interesting development. According to Sky News, Mark Ellis and Giles Wood are gone to Mercedes and they will start their new roll there in June 2014. This comes at a time when McLaren have agreed to take Neweys second in command Peter Prodromou. Big changes at Red Bull.

See here for more info:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/19/two-red-bull-staff-switch-to-mercedes/

Also, more updates from Mercedes:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/19/2013-f1-season-review-mercedes/

Dreamt last night that next year's McLaren was in testing and it looked really good and really low-slung. It also flipped while going around a corner though so they might need to work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/12/20/kobayashi-set-for-f1-return-with-caterham/

Would be great to have him back, Kobayashi would make passing a Marrusia for 22nd exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Dreamt last night that next year's McLaren was in testing and it looked really good and really low-slung. It also flipped while going around a corner though so they might need to work on that.

On the sauce again last night? :D
    http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/12/20/kobayashi-set-for-f1-return-with-caterham/

Would be great to have him back, Kobayashi would make passing a Marrusia for 22nd exciting.

Yeah, it would be great to have Kobayashi back. Love watching him on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Bb733JuCUAAKgAZ.jpg:large

Bb7s7ERCcAAzxAa.jpg:large

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    On the sauce again last night? :D
    Nah was just sleeping after being up for 30 hours straight :P

That Ferrari engine could a bit... sketchy.

That Ferrari engine could be a bit... sketchy.

This Guy!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That Ferrari engine could a bit... sketchy.

You win the internet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Still dont know what to make of him. Very hit and miss, did improve towards the end of the season but not sure if he is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Still dont know what to make of him. Very hit and miss, did improve towards the end of the season but not sure if he is good enough.

Had no hope being team mate to Hulkenberg in his debut season but acquitted himself well enough to retain his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Hi guys, I'm trying to find a Sky Sports f1 "behind the scenes" on how they broadcast a race. Think it was one of Ted Kravitz notebook pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Hi guys, I'm trying to find a Sky Sports f1 "behind the scenes" on how they broadcast a race. Think it was one of Ted Kravitz notebook pieces.

It was at the Korean GP iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Daniel S wrote: »
    It was at the Korean GP iirc?
    Thanks, found it

It's so lovely to come home and find a question, an answer and an acknowledgment. The internet is so great. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Zcott wrote: »
    Not sure if this should be in an F1 2014 thread, but drivers are starting to choose their numbers, as Motorsport.com says:

After the FIA kicked off the selection process, telling drivers they should name their top three picks between 2-99, it has already emerged that Force India's Sergio Perez has plumped for number 11.

It is believed Fernando Alonso considers 14 to be his lucky number, Jean-Eric Vergne wants the iconic 27, and Nico Rosberg has asked to carry number 6, which was raced to the 1982 title by his father Keke.

Now, adding the hashtag 'Bo77as', Williams driver Valtteri Bottas has told his 49,000 followers on Twitter that he has put down 77 as his first choice.

Felipe Massa has nominated the number 19, but others - like new Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo - aren't saying.

Kimi has chosen #7 with Fernando Alonso has confirmed #14 as his choice.

#7 was carried by James Hunt, Kimis hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Will Vettel have the balls to take the number we all know he wants, but might further he reputation of coming across as an ass? I'm going to say yes.

• Advertisement

I took the leap and started the 2014 thread.

Advertisement