Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yeah...good luck with the weather in Canada if it's to be held at the same time as the US GP! :pac:

I know yeah but you can pull them all forward a bit and it would be grand. I think a snow race is what we need though to liven up the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

To add to the discussions in the "Hulkenberg 2014" thread. The below is just crazy, and as I was saying before, NO team is bigger than the sport...

Ferrari have power to veto Ecclestone successor

“We must obtain the written consent of Ferrari prior to the appointment of any person as our chief executive officer if, within the past five years, he or she has held a senior executive office or an ownership interest of 5% or more in any Team or automobile manufacturer which either owns more than a 5% interest in a team or is a supplier of engines to a team.”

All of this seems crazy to me.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/06/f1-fanatic-round-up-0612/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Killinator

Seb Buemi and Felix daCosta have been confirmed as reserve drivers for RB next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah...good luck with the weather in Canada if it's to be held at the same time as the US GP! :pac:

The entire racing schedule could be changed, to try as best as possible to find neutral/safe weather dates for each continent. Meaning it could start & end at totally different races than it does today. Also, some freezing cold/more wet races would certainly lend to the spectacle

Myrddin wrote: »
    The entire racing schedule could be changed, to try as best as possible to find neutral/safe weather dates for each continent. Meaning it could start & end at totally different races than it does today. Also, some freezing cold/more wet races would certainly lend to the spectacle

I worked it out before and based on the 2012 calendar the best way to do it would be to start in Silverstone and finish in Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

logik wrote: »
    You can clearly see when Merc moved more and more resources onto the 2014 car.

I want Mercedes to give Lewis a championship winning car next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Let's not forget Nico. Would be great to watch the 2 of them battle it out in a competitive car.

Me too mate, there is a good chance this might happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

GarIT wrote: »
    I worked it out before and based on the 2012 calendar the best way to do it would be to start in Silverstone and finish in Brazil.

I can already see a major problem with how you have worked out your season and you have only posted the position of two races. The British GP has always been in late June/July and there is a reason behind it, outside of the warmer summer months it turns into a total bog all around it. They moved it outside of it's usual place in the year 2000 and even with people warning it was going to be a disaster long before the race they still made a complete balls of it.

That year they only moved it to the 23nd of April, if as you say you want to move it to the very beginning of the season and using next year as an example you would be racing at Silverstone on the 16th of March. Even forgetting about the inevitable muck involved you are still early enough in the year for frosty mornings and even the outside chance of a snow shower.

My point is there is a lot more to organising F1 race dates than travelling distance to the next race.
    Myrddin wrote: »

Lend to the spectacle maybe but potentially risk 100s of millions in the inevitable case of a races having to be cancelled because of weather.

Anyone see this tweet? If this is true and Perez shows what got him the Mclaren job in the first place it could end up being the strongest lineup outside the big teams.

• Advertisement

Anyone see this tweet? If this is true and Perez shows what got him the Mclaren job in the first place it could end up being the strongest lineup outside the big teams.

A Hulkenberg/Perez pairing would be very very good at Force India.

I can already see a major problem with how you have worked out your season and you have only posted the position of two races. The British GP has always been in late June/July and there is a reason behind it, outside of the warmer summer months it turns into a total bog all around it. They moved it outside of it's usual place in the year 2000 and even with people warning it was going to be a disaster long before the race they still made a complete balls of it.

That year they only moved it to the 23nd of April, if as you say you want to move it to the very beginning of the season and using next year as an example you would be racing at Silverstone on the 16th of March. Even forgetting about the inevitable muck involved you are still early enough in the year for frosty mornings and even the outside chance of a snow shower.

My point is there is a lot more to organising F1 race dates than travelling distance to the next race.

Lend to the spectacle maybe but potentially risk 100s of millions in the inevitable case of a races having to be cancelled because of weather.

Keep Europe in the summer but get rid of the fly-away in the middle of the summer. There's a few stupid bits they could get rid of like Malaysia-Bahrain-China-Spain. Move Bahrain to alongside Abu Dhabi or swap with China. Swapping Canada with Spain and squeezing in USA could work as well. Having the US race in May would save the Japan-Russia-USA-Brazil-Abu Dhabi mess at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Eddie Jordan 'announced' this a few weeks ago - looks like it is true

Nick Heidfeld driving on a frozen lake at St. Moritz in Switzerland in 2007:

nickheidfeld_bmw_stmoritz_switzerland_2007_7.jpg

What are your thoughts on Jean Todt getting a second term? You think he has done a good job so far?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/06/todt-formally-elected-to-second-term-as-fia-president/

Also, he has said F1 is still far too expensive. We could see more radical changes in coming years. But Todt does say that the FIA do not have the support to bring costs down.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/08/f1-fanatic-round-up-0812/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Permanent drivers numbers are coming in. Also, double points in the last race? What?

http://www.fia.com/formula-one-regulation-changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Also, double points in the last race? What?

I think they are trying their best to make F1 as gimmicky as possible. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Too much champagne!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Double points for the last race? why didn't the FIA introduce points for pole instead!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Budget cap by January 2015, about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Well that makes my decision for next year very, very easy. Cancel Sky Sports F1 and watch WEC.
    About the only thing more stupid they could have done was bring in success ballast.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Oh great another gimmick. How long until we see artificial rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sitec wrote: »
    Double points for the last race? why didn't the FIA introduce points for pole instead!?

Rubbish decision that. Would have made no difference this year. They might aswell go back to that system where it was the best 11 out of 16 results. (Obviously change it for the increase in number of races now.)

Budget cap by January 2015, about time.

That will never work.

That will never work.

A budget cap is a bad move, only the rich teams can afford to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Budget cap is lunacy. Too many ways around it. The big manufacturers will move money around as they wish.
    Even teams like Williams have development divisions outside of f1so impossible to police.

Anyone else think it's a little suspicious that they would change the last race to Abu Dhabi and then not long after decide that the last race is going to have double points? Silly change if it goes ahead.

The budget cap will never ever ever happen, the big teams will kick up a fuss, maybe threaten to make their own series and then it will quietly disappear at some stage during next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Permanent drivers numbers are coming in. Also, double points in the last race? What?

Is it April 1st ??? Has Vince McMahon replaced Bernie ??

Why not throw in a lottery for grid position - this makes a mockery of F1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Double points is utter nonsense.

Should be a point for pole and one for finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

double points in 4 random races during the year FTW

Advertisement