Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options
  • 24-11-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Since the 2012 season is about to come to an exciting finish, we might as well start talking about the 2013 line up. The New Jersey GP has been postponed until 2014, there may only be 22 cars on the grid next year and as of now there are still 3 vacated F1 seats at the mid-back of the grid with 4 drivers still to be confirmed for next year.

Seats available:
    Force India - Probably Sutil, Bianchi or Alguersuari. Robin Frijns has been signed by Sauber as a test/reserve driver so he is out of the question.
    Williams - Senna or Bottas, almost certainly Bottas
    Caterham - General concensus is that Caterham are dropping both drivers. Pic is confirmed for 2013. Possibly a place for Senna?
    Marussia - Max Chilton teamed with Timo Glock is an almost certainty.
    HRT - Unlikely to be here next year.

Think there's a place for d'Ambrosio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

During the F1 Forum, EJ was convinced that Senna will be with Caterham next year but Bruno wouldn't admit anything with a smile on his face.

Just looked at the calendar, the location of the German GP is TBA, while else where I read that it has a contract until 2018, whats happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Nuremburg ring is bankrupt. They dont know if they can afford it. Hockenheim will be the other venue if they can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

During the F1 Forum, EJ was convinced that Senna will be with Caterham next year but Bruno wouldn't admit anything with a smile on his face.
    He's always like that though! :D

I suppose one way of looking at it is to just compare him to Heikki. It's pretty much accepted that Heikki is gone and was very very downbeat, but Bruno seemed very happy. I really hope he gets a seat in Caterham (as I do want to see Bottas rip the entire midfield to bits! :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

Next dream scenario is Schumacher to return in 2013 having bought HRT, with Ferrari engines, chief tech officer Adrian Newy, head of operation Ross Brawn and to have Rory Byrne in there somewhere with Vettle as number one driver and number two maybe Bottas, or even Rosberg oh well one can dream

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Wasn't there talk of a French GP replacing New Jersey?

111 days til Australia according to Button's twitter! :D

• Advertisement

Kevski wrote: »

111 days til Australia according to Button's twitter! :D

Wouldn't mind that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Kevski wrote: »

There was back in October. Magny Cours or Paul Ricard could hold the race.

I would like to see it at Paul Ricard.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Can't for the life of me see Sutil go back to Force India,they really missed up there letting Hulkenberg so easy,he was fantastic second half of the yr and really outshown Di Resta all ends up. Have a feeling Kobayashi will end up with williams or force india. WOuld love to see a veteran like Barrichello,Trulli or Ralf Schumacher get a seat somewhere but can't for the life of me imagine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ralf :eek: I can only imagine how bad he would be behind a F1 car now.

He drives in the DTM series, he is actually an alright driver but he was never as good as Michael :)

I see Kamui Kobayashi raises nearly £500,000 so far towards getting a race seat next year.

• Advertisement

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I see Kamui Kobayashi raises nearly £500,000 so far towards getting a race seat next year.

I'd love if he somehow got into the Force India!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I wonder who'll get the second Caterham seat. With them getting the extra 10m in prize money they may reconsider letting heikki go. Someone (Kravitz?) said that rubens was talking to them but it was only a slim chance. Sutil and kobayashi possible too? GvdG too inexperienced with Pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Rascasse wrote: »
    I wonder who'll get the second Caterham seat. With them getting the extra 10m in prize money they may reconsider letting heikki go. Someone (Kravitz?) said that rubens was talking to them but it was only a slim chance. Sutil and kobayashi possible too? GvdG too inexperienced with Pic?

When I was chatting to the Caterham guys in Singapore I made a point of asking about Heikki's future and no-one was willing to say anything of note about keeping him. Just a few platitudes and the like. They spent a lot of money this year (moving to a new factory and increasing the work force) so a pay driver is the most likely solution. Heikki has done really well for them over the last three years and deserves to be in a better car but it's probably the toughest time I can remember to get a drive if you dont bring a budget

Kamui cant raise enough cash. There's no chance of Rubens isnt coming back. Sutil would be a very good driver who could bring in a pretty good budget. Same for Senna. Giedo...take some cash off him and give him a run in every Friday session to raise some money with Pic and Senna/Sutil alternating each race for FP1.

The interesting question is really what Marussia do for their number two driver. I'd hate to see Chilton get it. I don't rate him too highly but he can bring loads of cash to the table which will obviously be crucial for the team

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ralf :eek: I can only imagine how bad he would be behind a F1 car now.
    I was a ralf schumacher fan back in the day so I'd be inclined to defend him to the hills though!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

There was back in October. Magny Cours or Paul Ricard could hold the race.

I would like to see it at Paul Ricard.

Bernie owns Paul Ricard .

frostie500 wrote: »
    When I was chatting to the Caterham guys in Singapore I made a point of asking about Heikki's future and no-one was willing to say anything of note about keeping him. Just a few platitudes and the like. They spent a lot of money this year (moving to a new factory and increasing the work force) so a pay driver is the most likely solution. Heikki has done really well for them over the last three years and deserves to be in a better car but it's probably the toughest time I can remember to get a drive if you dont bring a budget

Kamui cant raise enough cash. There's no chance of Rubens isnt coming back. Sutil would be a very good driver who could bring in a pretty good budget. Same for Senna. Giedo...take some cash off him and give him a run in every Friday session to raise some money with Pic and Senna/Sutil alternating each race for FP1.

The interesting question is really what Marussia do for their number two driver. I'd hate to see Chilton get it. I don't rate him too highly but he can bring loads of cash to the table which will obviously be crucial for the team

What's the craic with Heikki? He's barely outperformed teammates in a **** car for the last 3 years, actually been beaten the last 2, and was completely embarrassed at McLaren. Let's be honest here, to enjoy him at McLaren would require one to have a proper sadistic kink. Has there been two teammates so far apart in recent times? Hell as pathetic as Webber and Massa have been at times in the last 2 years they didn't spend a year a second a lap slower than a teammate.

BOTTAS confirmed alongside Maldonado at Williams.

Senna's pissed I'd say but hopefully he'll get the Caterham seat.

EDIT: Turns out he's not at all and he has known for some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Delighted Bottas got the drive, clearly has the talent and speed, like most Finns. Can see him doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

Most pressing issue on my mind for 2013 is: who's going to be wearing the yellow helmet at Mercedes? Will Rosberg be forced to give it up to Hamilton, or will they both be sporting the same colour, making things very tricky for commentators next year.

• Advertisement

Most pressing issue on my mind for 2013 is: who's going to be wearing the yellow helmet at Mercedes? Will Rosberg be forced to give it up to Hamilton, or will they both be sporting the same colour, making things very tricky for commentators next year.

Nah, Lewis will be the one in front. :pac:

Hamilton helmet:

mcla_hami_helmet_2012-2-886x691.jpg

Rosberg helmet:

merc_rosb_helmet_2012_5-5-886x583.jpg

Hamilton's helmet has a darker shade of yellow and is more colourful. I'd say they will stick with the designs they have.

They can also just look at the camera on top of the air intake. One is orange and the other yellow, I assume to help the commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hamilton helmet:

Hamilton's helmet has a darker shade of yellow and is more colourful. I'd say they will stick with the designs they have.

I presume Vodafone was a McLaren sponsor rather than a Hamilton sponsor so his helmet design will have to change at least some bit.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Kobayashi to Lotus?

I really hope this happens. Kobayashi didn't deserve to be dropped by Sauber - it would be nice to see him beating them next year. And I don't think too many people would miss Grosjean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

RayM wrote: »
    And I don't think too many people would miss Grosjean.

The sad thing is, Grosjean is actually fast, very fast. He's down on his luck big time, I can't help but think he'd mature into a serious racer with time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

They should send Grosjean to IndyCar - with his talent for beating and banging, he should do rather well until he gets dumped with 2 laps to go.

h3000 wrote: »
    I presume Vodafone was a McLaren sponsor rather than a Hamilton sponsor so his helmet design will have to change at least some bit.

Yes. Lewis will have the Mercedes sponsors logos on his helmet, apart from that I'd say the colour scheme and design on Lewis' helmet will remain the same.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    They should send Grosjean to IndyCar - with his talent for beating and banging, he should do rather well until he gets dumped with 2 laps to go.

Nah stick him in NASCAR and put him next to Gordon at the start of each race.

• Advertisement

2013 French GP ruled out.

A shame. Would have loved to see a race at Paul Ricard.

Advertisement