Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

double points in 4 random races during the year FTW

I don't agree with that. There should be no double points awarded at any race.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jordan 191 wrote: »

I think it's very much a gimmick. Once you go down that road, You are on the slippery slope imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Not sure how I feel about this double points thing.

On one hand, it detracts from the whole idea of each race being equal, which is fundamental to the fairness of Motorsport. There's less of a chance of one - possibly undeserving - driver coming in and scooping up twice as many points.

On the other hand, it's good for the spectacle. If you're a few points away from your nearest rival in the championship you'll be trying your hardest to get those double points to pass him. There's more of an incentive to just go for it.

NASCAR is all about the spectacle, and I hope f1 doesn't go down the chase route. But it can certainly learn a few things about putting on a show and creating incentives for drivers.

Edit: and as for the numbers, I'm all for it. Easier to keep track of who's who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

This double points gimmick is just that, a gimmick. It's just another means of artificially spicing up the racing. There was no need to bring this one in for the 2014 season with the new regulations. Between KERS, the F-duct/DRS, pirelli tyres that turn to marbles after 2 laps, the FIA are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one. Why put so much importance on one race? I think it really takes away from the other races, especially where a driver has previously put in a stupendous effort to get a good result, and then sees it all taken away if they perform badly in this race or something out of their control happens.

There should be mystery envelopes hung from clotheslines across the circuit and if the driver can grab one as he goes past he gets whatever prize is inside. Double points, extra kers boost, or a top of the range washer/dryer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That double points is a load of crap.

Why not give extra points for pole position and fastest lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭overshoot

There should be mystery envelopes hung from clotheslines across the circuit and if the driver can grab one as he goes past he gets whatever prize is inside. Double points, extra kers boost, or a top of the range washer/dryer.
    Crash team racing/Mario Cart style
    the introduction of banana skins should be fun
    scrctr-50.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Indeed the way they currently use the drive through penalty is almost similar. Giving race control the ability to play around with race positions on a sometimes random basis.
    All this track limits stuff had gotten out of hand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Agree with this 100%. Double points is completely pointless (see what i did there? :rolleyes:).

Some of the ideas/decisions coming out of F1 recently are crazy and in my eyes don't belong in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Also, drivers are to pick their own numbers next year. Kinda like this idea to be honest.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/09/drivers-to-pick-career-numbers-next-year/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Abu Dhabi has been dropped as the season finale and been replaced by Rainbow Road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

don't agree with double points for last race or any races tbh, i wouldn't mind seeing a system where there for points for qualifying head to head; where there are say 4 or 6 pts awarded for qualifying above a guy you are drawn against (i.e. a draw is made before qualifying for every round where drivers are pitted against one another in a random draw)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I don't think that would work. One driver could get drawn against the backmarkers a lot more often than his rivals, and could gain a few extra points in that way. The only way that could work is if you bring in some sort of complicated "weighing" system, where outqualifying a Red Bull would be worth much more than outqualifying a Marussia/Caterham.

Even then, it just rewards 1-lap pace over race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I don't think that would work. One driver could get drawn against the backmarkers a lot more often than his rivals, and could gain a few extra points in that way. The only way that could work is if you bring in some sort of complicated "weighing" system, where outqualifying a Red Bull would be worth much more than outqualifying a Marussia/Caterham.

Even then, it just rewards 1-lap pace over race pace.

I think a point for pole is the only reasonable means of awarding any points on a Saturday. Pairing drivers up will always be unfair to most. Only 4 drivers managed to get a pole this seaon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I hate points for pole almost as much as I hate this double points nonsense - the only thing that should matter is the final result on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'd like to see a sprint race introduced. Say 10-15 laps with no pits. Run it on Sat evening or Sun Morning and the results of this determine grid for feature race. Reduce feature race to 25-35 laps. Races are currently way too long (thus often very boring).

I'm surprised drivers didn't ask for numbers long before now as it allows for much easier branding/marketing though can have problems. Marc Marquez wants to keep No. 93 for next year but Repsol and Honda want him to race with No1.

This double points malarkey is a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Scotty # wrote: »
    I'd like to see a sprint race introduced. Say 10-15 laps with no pits. Run it on Sat evening or Sun Morning and the results of this determine grid for feature race. Reduce feature race to 25-35 laps. Races are currently way too long (thus often very boring).

You're not serious are you? I think the races would be much better if they were twice as long, obviously the drivers couldn't manage that though. Factoring everything in they are just right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Races twice as long means even wider gaps, not closer. Would make racing even less exciting.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Races twice as long means even wider gaps, not closer. Would make racing even less exciting.

But less physically challenging, and over time cars get slower and faster, there were so many races this year where 5 more laps would have made a big change to the final standings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/198869/1/vettel-questions-absurd-points-change.html
    "Imagine at the last Bundesliga [German football league] match there would suddenly be double points," he was quoted as telling the German 'paper Sport Bild. "This is absurd and punishes those who have worked hard for a whole season. I treasure the old traditions in Formula 1 and don't understand these new rules."

Vettel's viewpoint has been share by a number of fans and pundits like, with Sky F1 commentator Martin Brundle amongst those to question if a change was needed.

“Double points for the last F1 GP of the season looks like an answer to a question nobody was asking,” he said. “Devalues the other races too.”

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Dont agree with the double points change. I have a feeling they might change their mind.

As others have said, I would like to see a points bonus for qualification position and also for finishing races.

Bring back refuelling and open back up the tyre competition too and we would have a show for sure.

Still looking forward to 2014 though. Some good changes this year to keep me tuned in anyway.

I agree with some posters and think points should be awarded for quali and finishing. Maybe 3, 2, and 1 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And then a point each for completing full race distance (not being lapped).

Strituck wrote: »
    Bring back refuelling and open back up the tyre competition too and we would have a show for sure.

If they ever want F1 to be good again they should remove as many rules as possible. Remove rev limit, kers limit, Drs limit, allow fueling, exhausts wherever you want, and bring your own tyres. the rules should define essential safety, engine size and that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

GarIT wrote: »
    If they ever want F1 to be good again they should remove as many rules as possible. Remove rev limit, kers limit, Drs limit, allow fueling, exhausts wherever you want, and bring your own tyres. the rules should define essential safety, engine size and that's all.

If Carlsberg did Formula 1..... :D Unfortunately, there seems to be a bunch of baboons running the show so the above will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would love it if the engine rules were relaxed. Going back 11 or 12 years ago, Renault ran with a 111 degree V10. An engine with a 111 degree vee wouldn't even be allowed these days.

If you're on pole it means you have a fast car and you're already in the best position to win the race. The last thing you need is to give the pole sitter more of an advantage by giving him more points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can't see re-fueling ever coming back, not when the cars are packed with KERS/ERS systems...& they're not going anywhere

Myrddin wrote: »
    Can't see re-fueling ever coming back, not when the cars are packed with KERS/ERS systems...& they're not going anywhere

Why not, fire issue or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Myrddin wrote: »

Indeed - one Jos Verstappen incident is more than enough.

Can't believe that was almost 20 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why not, fire issue or something?

Yeah safety grounds really. I know the cars get grounded in the pits but with so much stored electrical energy in the batteries, it could be disastrous in the event of a fuel spillage. More so than ever now with what ERS will be expected to do

Advertisement