Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to create new fibre powered ISP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

red_bairn wrote: »
    No.

Oh excellent. Hopefully be able to finally say goodbye to mobile broadband so. Doing my head in lately !
    Gonna have a read back through the thread now so thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

1Unknown wrote: »
    Yes it will be fibre to home, but because there isn't yet a final partner (ex Vdf/Meteor what ever), the final layout connections are not defined yet.

Wow excited!

Cavan though. Why Cavan? It is reasonably well served by the eircom fibre rollout with upgrades to Cavan town, Bailieborough, Kingscourt, Virginia, Ballyjamesduff.

Hope it is a MASSIVE success.

btw what are LV/MV poles? Low/Medium voltage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Trials tests will be in Cavan area.
    Will sart in December 2013 up to the 1st Qter of 2014
    Fibre will run thru LV/MV poles and underground network.

Any idea what area of Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1Unknown

padraig.od wrote: »
    Wow excited!

Cavan though. Why Cavan? It is reasonably well served by the eircom fibre rollout with upgrades to Cavan town, Bailieborough, Kingscourt, Virginia, Ballyjamesduff.

Why Cavan....no idea to be honest, and yes Low/Medium voltage poles.

Now this is just a trial...so between a trial/to go on full scale...might be at the end of 2014 that things start to roll out (if everything goes well)...and dont forget...money to invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1Unknown

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Any idea what area of Cavan?

I do...but cannot tell you sorry.

It's not city centre ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It's not city centre ;)

It must be Gowna. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

It's not city centre ;)

Can you tell us when we'll find out so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wow excited!

Lots of smallish towns with sometimes dense levels of housing in areas between the towns and villages in eastern Cavan, considering they're rural areas. Like between Virginia and BallyJ. Some of those small towns will be waiting another year or so for Eircom also.

I'll be interested in the underground network part, I always thought most ESB connections until 20 years ago were with thick insulated cables directly buried underground. No ducting used at the time so to speak.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bk wrote: »
    Eircom will have eFibre everywhere before this even starts to rollout and even when it does rollout, it will take much longer to rollout then VDSL as doing FTTH is tricky and labour intensive.

Hopefully that doesn't stop the ESB, as they can compete with Eircoms eFibre by offering much faster speeds.
    Eircom could be easily be undercut on line rental side.

Cheapest phone only eircom package is €25
    the cheapest UPC phone + BB package is near enough to make it a no brainer

Also fibre means the ESB/Vodafone could offer TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Eircom could be easily be undercut on line rental side.

Cheapest phone only eircom package is €25
    the cheapest UPC phone + BB package is near enough to make it a no brainer

Also fibre means the ESB/Vodafone could offer TV too.

This could very well turn out to be the biggest thing ever for broadband in Ireland, especially the forgotten towns. Fingers and toes crossed that the Cavan trial will go well and we will all have the option sometime in 2014. Amazing to finally be able to abandon the old copper telephone cable and be as competitive as any where else in Europe. Well done to the ESB.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well fingers crossed

I'm in Donabate village where Eircom say the E-fibre rollout is done, so a small sector of Donabate is never being upgraded. UPC say they have no plans to come here. I'm with Magnet on a 24mbps ADSL line, that as of right now is operating at 700kbps on a speedtest, meaning my saturday planed for gaming is in tatters.

Coming from UPC 150mb, and working in the networking arena, I'm absolutely disgusted that in 2013, an area can still have this rubbish an internet service.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

I wouldn't go holding my breath.
    ESB has been talking about this for years and they're still just talking. Even if right now they were installing it would still take them an awfully long time to do any sort of a rollout.

Also Eircom has ducting into houses/estates etc. as is
    Esb just has buried power lines, other than digging up every road and driveway they'd have to rent or buy from the likes of Eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

This is exciting, I really hope it goes well for ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Not sure if this has been posted already. Some information about the fibre broadband rollout on the ESB website.

http://www.esb.ie/main/innovation/telecoms.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

lockup35 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted already. Some information about the fibre broadband rollout on the ESB website.

http://www.esb.ie/main/innovation/telecoms.jsp

1/2 million customers.... How many are eircom targetting again? Would they be planning to compete with eircom, upc or are they targetting unfibred areas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fingers and toes crossed that this will be available to homes and business throughout the country that currently cant get UPC or adsl/fibre speeds beyond 8meg.

I heard from a chap in ESB they are not targeting the large urban areas like Cork and Dublin so .5 million homes is very significant. He also said they are experimenting with ways of pushing the fibre through the conduits going to the stand alone houses (typically the red tube pipes buried in the ground and coming out at the ESB meter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ClonNGB wrote: »
    He also said they are experimenting with ways of pushing the fibre through the conduits going to the stand alone houses (typically the red tube pipes buried in the ground and coming out at the ESB meter.

reminded me of this http://www.google.ie/tisp/install.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

1/2 million customers.... How many are eircom targetting again? Would they be planning to compete with eircom, upc or are they targetting unfibred areas?

I believe the plan is to target urban and semi-urban areas not currently serviced by UPC.

These areas likely are already or will soon be covered by Eircoms eFibre.

This makes a lot of sense, no point in the ESB going head to head against UPC when they both would be offering about the same speeds.

Better for the ESB to focus on non UPC areas and become the second, much faster competitor to Eircom eFibre in these areas, much in the same way UPC is in the other areas.

This is fantastic news, it will mean we have two strong independent broadband networks to all urban homes (either UPC+Eirom or ESB+Eircom) offering speeds of between 50mb to 200mb/s

It will mean the broadband problem will be finally completely fixed in urban areas. More then that, it will mean urban areas in Ireland will have some of the fastest speeds in Europe, much better then even the UK and much of France/Germany and up there with the best of the Scandanivian countries!!

Unfortunately this won't help the 500,000 or so rural homes.

However I'm also feeling more confident about broadband in rural Ireland too. I'm hopeful that in the medium term, once the ESB has completed their initial rollout in urban areas, having gained experience in the technology and installs, that they will then turn their attention to bringing fibre to rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Why would they not go straight to rural and hold the 0.5m homes to exclusion of the rest ?

Once that's underway target the bigger population areas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Am I reading this right?
    Alongside our JV partner, we will roll out 100% fibre network that will connect directly into half a million homes, offering speeds in excess of 150Mb/s. These upload and download speeds are guaranteed because it is an end-to-end fibre network. This service will be available in 2014 through local broadband providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I wouldn't go holding my breath.
    ESB has been talking about this for years and they're still just talking. Even if right now they were installing it would still take them an awfully long time to do any sort of a rollout.

Also Eircom has ducting into houses/estates etc. as is
    Esb just has buried power lines, other than digging up every road and driveway they'd have to rent or buy from the likes of Eircom.
    Using broadband over power lines there would be no need for separate cables

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fibre to the home?

Cannot wait! 2015 is too far away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

But surely this is a 150 symmetric connection if FTTB. So wouldn't that put them at the top?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why would they not go straight to rural and hold the 0.5m homes to exclusion of the rest ?

Once that's underway target the bigger population areas

Nope, it just doesn't make any financial or commercial sense.

It costs much less to roll out fibre to densely populated urban and semi-urban areas then it is to rural areas.

Just think of all the one off rural houses and it is clear why.

It will likely require some government subsidies and maybe people in rural areas paying extra in order to get fibre to the home.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Am I reading this right?

Yes
    ted1 wrote: »
    Using broadband over power lines there would be no need for separate cables

Broadband over powerlines is a failed technology (outside of homeplugs). It turned out to create a great deal of radio interference and hasn't been deployed anywhere in the world.

Instead the ESB can and will wrap fibre cables around the powerlines and use ducts to get into homes.
    red_bairn wrote: »
    But surely this is a 150 symmetric connection if FTTB. So wouldn't that put them at the top?

Not necessarily, FTTH comes in many different types, the type that is most likely to be used is GPON, if GPON is used then it is 2.488 Gb/s down, 1.244 Gbp/s up, shared amongst 32 homes.

UPC's HFC network has similar bandwidth.

Obviously it would be better then Eircoms VDSL2+ speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

bk wrote: »
    Not necessarily, FTTH comes in many different types, the type that is most likely to be used is GPON, if GPON is used then it is 2.488 Gb/s down, 1.244 Gbp/s up, shared amongst 32 homes.

UPC's HFC network has similar bandwidth.

Obviously it would be better then Eircoms VDSL2+ speeds

If I am reading this right

If GPON is used then it will give a max of ~80Mb/s down and ~40Mb/s up, per house if shared between 32 houses not much room for upgrade?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Can't wait for this. Currently have Sky waiting for their fibre.

Heard Vodafone won the contract to be ESBs partner on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

funnyname wrote: »
    If I am reading this right

If GPON is used then it will give a max of ~80Mb/s down and ~40Mb/s up, per house if shared between 32 houses not much room for upgrade?

All residential broadband is contended.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contention_ratio

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

smee again wrote: »
    All residential broadband is contended.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contention_ratio

That is not true. Most DSL providers do, but not all is contended. For example, eircom offer NGB that is uncontended.

Advertisement