Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to create new fibre powered ISP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

padraig.od wrote: »
    Has fibre strung up on poles been deployed anywhere else? What did BT do in the North? I assume there is very similar settlement patterns up there?

It has been done here already too on trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Davy wrote: »
    It has been done here already too on trial.

Has it?

I know there was trial in Tuam a few years ago of internet over power cables (ie using the same cable for both) but didn't know about an ESB FTTH trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Has it?

I know there was trial in Tuam a few years ago of internet over power cables (ie using the same cable for both) but didn't know about an ESB FTTH trial.

A number of fibre runs especially out West are clipped to poles

bealtine wrote: »
    A number of fibre runs especially out West are clipped to poles

Aye but FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Aye but FTTH?

Why not? There's not a lot of difference between a run and a drop really, once clipping is shown to work it's only a small thing to do the drop somewhere:)

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    Why not? There's not a lot of difference between a run and a drop really, once clipping is shown to work it's only a small thing to do the drop somewhere:)

Oh yeah, I know the mechanics of it all right. Just wondering about the trial Davy mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

I can't believe a tornado as an example of storms in Ireland. :rolleyes:

When the power goes out, it usually because of trees falling down on powerlines. Round objects have a certain amount of wind resistance, the curvature of a pole guides the wind around it, unlike a billboard sign, which catches a lot of wind and need to be heavily supported.

The employees of ESB know more about physics than the Average Joe on Boards.ie, so this is a non-issue.

I know the West is stormier than Meath, but it's worth mentioning that we haven't had a blackout due to a storm since the mid-nineties or early-nineties.

Good man.
    Mesut Ozil wrote: »
    I can't believe a tornado as an example of storms in Ireland. :rolleyes:

When the power goes out, it usually because of trees falling down on powerlines. Round objects have a certain amount of wind resistance, the curvature of a pole guides the wind around it, unlike a billboard sign, which catches a lot of wind and need to be heavily supported.

The employees of ESB know more about physics than the Average Joe on Boards.ie, so this is a non-issue.

I know the West is stormier than Meath, but it's worth mentioning that we haven't had a blackout due to a storm since the mid-nineties or early-nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ESB poles are buried 7 feet in the ground and don't simply fall over due to wind.Trust me,I put up enough of the bloody things.I'd have more faith in ESB clipping fibre to a pole than Eircom.

I personally saw some of the quality work done by Eircom in rural areas with cables simply laying in ditches or poles tied to tree limbs with rope.

I'm benefitting from the fibre rollout due being in an urban area while my friends & relatives are stuck with virtually nothing due to living in the country.If the ESB get this right,the whole country will benefit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Has it?

Their has been an active trial ye to homes. Plenty of fibre up on poles but I only think their was one actually connected to homes afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

What happens when we get a bit of a storm with poles and lines down all over the place?

We can be thankful it won't be Eircom fixing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

You would if your lappy had a 12 cell battery ;)

You would be able to access the internet if you had a 12 cell battery!? Jaysus that is one amazing battery to power the modem too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

red_bairn wrote: »
    You would be able to access the internet if you had a 12 cell battery!? Jaysus that is one amazing battery to power the modem too. :D

Incorrect I have an ALDI Gen :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Incorrect I have an ALDI Gen :D

That's nice to know! But what about the downed fibre cables (if you were on the ESB network). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

red_bairn wrote: »
    That's nice to know! But what about the downed fibre cables (if you were on the ESB network). :D

Won't be on ESB network so not an issue.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

Can anyone comment on time frames here? Could we expect a commercial offering by end of 2014 say?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

according to this

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/news/2013/07/22/esb-pursue-partnerships-for-new-super-fast-fibre-broadband-network/

"work is expected to start in the first quarter of 2014."

Even if it was available first half of 2014 I would be very happy to have the choice. It seems it is the best we can hope for in areas without UPC.

I imagine if Vodafone have partnered up with the ESB it would be in their interest to go as as fast as possible in a land grab before Eircom finally gets the efibre everywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I imagine if Vodafone have partnered up with the ESB it would be in their interest to go as as fast as possible in a land grab before Eircom finally gets the efibre everywhere.

Eircom will have eFibre everywhere before this even starts to rollout and even when it does rollout, it will take much longer to rollout then VDSL as doing FTTH is tricky and labour intensive.

Hopefully that doesn't stop the ESB, as they can compete with Eircoms eFibre by offering much faster speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I just saw KN Networks and Secto laying fibre on power cables over the Clareabbey roundabout in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

That would fit in with their announcement in june. 3 year project

http://secto.ie/index.php/79-secto-news/89-esbt-june-2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 1Unknown

Trials tests will be in Cavan area.
    Will sart in December 2013 up to the 1st Qter of 2014
    Fibre will run thru LV/MV poles and underground network.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

1Unknown wrote: »

Nice trio see it happen so soon. Hopefully they are quick and aggressive with the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Fibre to the home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Will this be in rural areas as well? First ISP to get broadband to the countryside will clean up!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Fibre to the home?

Yes FTTH

Fibre to the home?

Yes it will be fibre to home, but because there isn't yet a final partner (ex Vdf/Meteor what ever), the final layout connections are not defined yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Yes it will be fibre to home, but because there isn't yet a final partner (ex Vdf/Meteor what ever), the final layout connections are not defined yet.

What do you mean by final layout connections?

MrO wrote: »
    What do you mean by final layout connections?

mainly type of fibre connections/equipment to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Apologies if asked already but will a phone line be needed

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Apologies if asked already but will a phone line be needed

No.

Advertisement