Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to create new fibre powered ISP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you read it properly you might notice that I was talking about the esb fibre network that passes straight over my head every day and I've got horribale speeds and the spedds that are on them fibres are at least 300 mb

The high voltage on the line is along side the fibre, but your still only getting 230v, why should the broadband be any different? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

So the reason for the slowness is the wireless technology that they use. ESB are rolling out a completely different technology to what you have so your speeds are in no way indicative of what ESB will be offering.

True but if rural schools have 100mb off of airspeed it doesnt seem quite right because the wireless antena thats up on the roof is the same at the school . Now he schools service is 1:1 ratio and I think were 1:12 but its got to do with how much you ask for like they could give me 100mb if I payed for it but it wuld cost an arm and a leg and also it would pull down the network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

True but if rural schools have 100mb off of airspeed it doesnt seem quite right because the wireless antena thats up on the roof is the same at the school . Now he schools service is 1:1 ratio and I think were 1:12 but its got to do with how much you ask for like they could give me 100mb if I payed for it but it wuld cost an arm and a leg and also it would pull down the network

Dude, you need to start your own thread. Your ramblings have nothing to do with this thread :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

degsie wrote: »
    Dude, you need to start your own thread. Your ramblings have nothing to do with this thread :mad:

Give out if you want but my cousin lives in this house and he has 1Mb bb and correct me if im wrong but isnt that 1 of the esb's 16 PoPs ( points of presence ) and isnt there crazy speeds going through there and could eircom or even esb themselfs use this as an exchange or anything because as I stated earlier he has 1Mb but you can besure that these PoPs can handle 1Gbps
    http://www.esbtelecoms.ie/bandwidth_services/points_presence.htm

Hmmm... kinda like asking Iarnród Éireann to build a spur from a main line rail to your house because it's 'too far' to drive to a rail station. You need to understand how telecoms infrastructure works to answer your questions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: I_HAVE_NO_NAME your posts are off topic for this thread. Please create a separate thread if you want to discuss your issues further. Cheers.

bk wrote: »
    MOD: I_HAVE_NO_CLUE your posts are off topic for this thread. Please create a separate thread if you want to discuss your issues further. Cheers.

Fixed that for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Any idea how this is progressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any idea how this is progressing?

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0722/463908-today-in-the-press/

According to this bids are to be made by the end of this month August and a decision will be made by the end of September, after which it is expected there will be several months of negotiations about the operation of the new company.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/energy-and-resources/esb-seeks-partner-to-set-up-fibre-network-1.1470736

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

An ESB chap said to me Vodafone have been chosen as an FTTB partner. He also said they would not be doing the main urban centres in Dublin and Cork etc. and would start with smaller towns. This might mean places like Clonakilty would no longer have to wait years for Eircom to install FTTC. Would br great to see this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ClonNGB wrote: »
    An ESB chap said to me Vodafone have been chosen as an FTTB partner. He also said they would not be doing the main urban centres in Dublin and Cork etc. and would start with smaller towns. This might mean places like Clonakilty would no longer have to wait years for Eircom to install FTTC. Would br great to see this happen.

That isn't surprising, I believe the ESB plan to target urban areas where UPC aren't present.

So Ireland has about 1.1 million homes in urban areas. UPC pass 700,000 of these homes. I expect the ESB to target the other 400,000 homes.

Doesn't make much sense for the ESB to initially go head to head with UPC, who can match almost any speed the ESB delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

back before the days of DSL when ISDN was classed as "superfast broadband", I heard tell in the UK that there was a new fancy way of sending data along electricity lines and that it would revolutionise the way we all got internet access as the electricity companies could provide broadband over their existing powerline infrastructure.

unfortunately nothing ever came of it, but i do believe that was the core birth of the homeplug networking market and i do sometimes wonder what happened to the technology to basically turn all of the existing power line infrastructure into a giant nationwide homeplug network.

i wonder why it never came to fruition in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I seem to remember the transformer things screwed up the signal. Anyway I think the fibre runnig alongside the electric cables is the way to go. Must be as future proof as you can make it. Also has the added benefit of stopping the copper theives!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I seem to remember the transformer things screwed up the signal. Anyway I think the fibre runnig alongside the electric cables is the way to go. Must be as future proof as you can make it. Also has the added benefit of stopping the copper theives!
    i'm sure there's a good sideline to be had in 2nd hand fibre as well as copper. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm sure there's a good sideline to be had in 2nd hand fibre as well as copper. :D

Best thing to do there is to make the fiber and electrical lines indistinguishable so they risk the chance of electrocuting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

All sounds great....but wouldn't the fibre be very exposed?

As a transmission network wrapped on heavy hi tension cables, up on sturdy steel pylons it's fine, but what about when it drops down to local level strung along between poles?

What happens when we get a bit of a storm with poles and lines down all over the place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kaizersoze wrote: »

What happens when we get a bit of a storm with poles and lines down all over the place?

The odds of taking down the certain amount of poles the fibre will be on would be slim, we don't have storms that often that would take poles down

Davy wrote: »
    The odds of taking down the certain amount of poles the fibre will be on would be slim, we don't have storms that often that would take poles down

You don't live in the sticks then....:P
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tornado-clonfert-1111719-Oct2013/

That's an extreme one but during winter all it takes is a bit of wind to take a tree down and the neighbouring lines and poles. Happens all the time.
    Even some tool going home from the pub with a skinfull and takes out a couple of poles.

You don't live in the sticks then....:P
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tornado-clonfert-1111719-Oct2013/

That's an extreme one but during winter all it takes is a bit of wind to take a tree down and the neighbouring lines and poles. Happens all the time.
    Even some tool going home from the pub with a skinfull and takes out a couple of poles.

If you can find out how many poles had to be replaced for that 'twister' you can prove me wrong, not till then :P

Davy wrote: »
    If you can find out how many poles had to be replaced for that 'twister' you can prove me wrong, not till then :P

56.....:pac:

Ah not a clue really but even downed wires, particularly fibre, would be a headache.

• Advertisement

56.....:pac:

Ah not a clue really but even downed wires, particularly fibre, would be a headache.

Ye fibre would be slower to repair than the conductor alright but I'm sure they have thought of that already.

And I would be surprised if it was more than 5 poles!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I guess it's too early to ask but would the fibre just go to various exchanges and then copper to the house? Or can they connect straight to each building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

siblers wrote: »
    I guess it's too early to ask but would the fibre just go to various exchanges and then copper to the house? Or can they connect straight to each building?

Straight to each building; a.k.a.: fiber to the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Has fibre strung up on poles been deployed anywhere else? What did BT do in the North? I assume there is very similar settlement patterns up there?

padraig.od wrote: »
    Has fibre strung up on poles been deployed anywhere else? What did BT do in the North? I assume there is very similar settlement patterns up there?

Yes, Verizon in the US do it very successfully, with millions of homes already connected this way and they have much more extreme weather then us.

A storm might take down some poles, which might knock out the fibre for a few days to a particular area, but it could be relatively easily repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if poles are knocked down in a storm, then the electricity would also be knocked out and you won't be able to access the Internet anyway. When they fix the electricity, they also fix the Internet and you get them both back at the same time. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if poles are knocked down in a storm, then the electricity would also be knocked out and you won't be able to access the Internet anyway. When they fix the electricity, they also fix the Internet and you get them both back at the same time. No?

How dare you bring logic into the equation!

:P
    Well that's a given. My point is the repair and restoration time.
    It's a lot handier repair downed powerlines on their own but dealing with fibre as well would take longer. The ESB can often restore power in a couple of hours but it could possibly take a couple of days to restore fibre, especially in rural remote poorly accessible areas where this technology would be targeted.

bk wrote:
    A storm might take down some poles, which might knock out the fibre for a few days to a particular area, but it could be relatively easily repaired.

Doesn't sound too bad but we have people on here crying if their internet is down for a couple of hours.:D

Again, in the US, Verizon do it in about 24 hours.

Yes repairing Fibre takes longer then repairing copper, but a few things balance that out.

Copper can suffer from water damage and corrosion, which can be very hard to find and identify. Fibre isn't effected by water damage, fibre is usually only damaged by a physical break, which is usually very easy to find, just look for the backhoe or the downed cables.

Also less risk fro copper thieves.

When fibre does break, it takes longer to repair, but typically fibre breaks much less often then copper and the maintenance costs for fibre are overall cheaper then copper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if poles are knocked down in a storm, then the electricity would also be knocked out and you won't be able to access the Internet anyway.

You would if your lappy had a 12 cell battery ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement