Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to create new fibre powered ISP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

km79 wrote: »
    So I might eventually have an alternative to 3 s appalling NBS MOBILE broadband ???

If you live within 20 miles of Dublin or 10 miles of another large city ....or in an Athenry or a Tullamore or a Roscrea......then perhaps.

Banada Ballydehob and Borrisleigh are not being covered. Too rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    km79 wrote: »
    So I might eventually have an alternative to 3 s appalling NBS MOBILE broadband ???

If you live within 20 miles of Dublin or 10 miles of another large city ....or in an Athenry or a Tullamore or a Roscrea......then perhaps.

Banada Ballydehob and Borrisleigh are not being covered. Too rural.
    8 miles from athenry in the middle of nowhere :(
    Destined to live my life looking at the loading mouse :D

8 miles out of Athenry means ....unlikely.

Unless you are 8 miles out of it west near the Cashla 220kv switching station of course. What you could always do is find out whether they are prepared to supply Fibre to the Pylon ( bottom of ) if you live near one of their 110kv or 220kv lines and then run your own fibre across the field to the house. :)

One thing to remember is that 8 miles is trivial for fibre and that if a fibre were run from your parish to Athenry you might be able to pick up a few 100 megabits with low pings there quite soon.....say within 2 years. Your average East galway exchange, even one with DSL, usually has nothing like that available in terms of backhaul.

Wireless ( mobile or fixed) will always have difficulty offering anything of the sort at a reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

What you could always do is find out whether they are prepared to supply Fibre to the Pylon ( bottom of ) if you live near one of their 110kv or 220kv lines and then run your own fibre across the field to the house..

I was thinking about that there a while ago as there is an ESB fiber passing on a line not too far away from me but I put it out of my head thinking that that it would be too costly what with the cost of splicing fiber, and then they would need power at the end of the pole which I know sounds foolish but thats a 110KV line overhead and it would take a bit of effort to drop down a domestic supply, then a small cabinet or structure. So I dunno about the feasibility of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

just a suggestion but best way to supply power would be to run a power cable alongside the fiber from your house which would give the 230v ?

probably a wild shot at them allowing something like that but its possible in theory I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

You are entirely mistaken if you think they will duct most of this network. It will be strung overhead in the main.

http://www.prysmianusa.com/export/sites/prysmian-enNA/attach/pdf/Telecom/Technical_Literature_Methods_and_Procedures/MP_1012_Issue_3.pdf

on the same overhead power lines that tend to go down in storms?
    The ESB's continuing its efforts to reconnect customers electricity supply in Donegal today.

250 households or businesses are without power as a result of the high winds that have battered the country for several days now.

The remaining faults are centred on Counties Donegal, Cavan, Galway, Cork, Wexford and Dublin, but the company's confident the problems will be resolved shortly.
    http://www.oceanfm.ie/sp/article_manager/detail
    /homes_in_donegal_remain_without_power_this_morning

so if you had your telephone through UPC, you could be without phone and electricity (no point is stating you'd be without tv and broadband, its obvious if you've no electricity)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You are entirely mistaken if you think they will duct most of this network. It will be strung overhead in the main.

http://www.prysmianusa.com/export/sites/prysmian-enNA/attach/pdf/Telecom/Technical_Literature_Methods_and_Procedures/MP_1012_Issue_3.pdf

on the same overhead power lines that tend to go down in storms?
    The ESB's continuing its efforts to reconnect customers electricity supply in Donegal today.

250 households or businesses are without power as a result of the high winds that have battered the country for several days now.

The remaining faults are centred on Counties Donegal, Cavan, Galway, Cork, Wexford and Dublin, but the company's confident the problems will be resolved shortly.
    http://www.oceanfm.ie/sp/article_manager/detail
    /homes_in_donegal_remain_without_power_this_morning

so if you had your telephone through UPC, you could be without phone and electricity (no point is stating you'd be without tv and broadband, its obvious if you've no electricity)
    With UPC your phone works through your router so if you lose power you lose your phone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Villages and towns with about a distance of about 15 miles traveling time to get to our biggest cities ( Limerick, Galway, Dublin, Cork) Should be upgraded immediately. This were bosses and workers will live if choose not to live in city area locations.

Exactly . A lot of the key knowledge to run the knowledge economy is stranded in those specific areas and beyond the reach of VDSL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

So how long until the average consumer would be able to avail of the services?

• Advertisement

So how long until the average consumer would be able to avail of the services?

12 - 18 months for urban areas I'd imagine and as for the rural areas: shortly after the second coming of Jesus could be a good guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

ESB already have a fibre network which they share with E-NET, i would like to see ESB / E-NET / Eircom / UPC get serious and start cutting fibre in to estates in big urban areas for a start and then start to roll it out countrywide, if they can put electricity in to all homes then there is no reason why fibre cannot be installed. I know the cost is prohibitive initially in country areas but surely over the years the pay back would be be good between urban / rural.

daver123 wrote: »
    I know the cost is prohibitive initially in country areas but surely over the years the pay back would be be good between urban / rural.

To give you some idea of the scale of it.

1. The most urbanised 50% of the population occupies around 5-6% of the land areas of state.
    2. The semi urbanised ( villages small towns and doughnutted around Galway Cork etc ) next most dense 20% of the population occupies around 7% of the land area of the state. These are the ones who must be covered by 4G networks.
    3. The remaining 30% of the population occupies 87% of the land area of the state and there is no 4G coverage requirement in 87% of the land area of the state. This is important as the ESB initiative is closely related to 4G Network rollouts.

However as the ESB gets better at rolling out fibre by practising in the urban fringe they will find themselves driving costs down and redefining economic as they go along.

However the 10% of the population that occupies around 50% of the land area of the state is unlikely to benefit...I can see them or ESB + UPC elsewhere getting to somewhere between 80 and 90% of the population before the economics get seriously tricky.

There is a niche for the likes of Big Lar and his community network to 'fibre back' to where the ESB would leave off and pick up something there while picking up intermediate communities as they go. If they start to integrate 'in' then maybe the ESB will come further 'out'. :)

HTH

There is a niche for the likes of Big Lar and his community network to 'fibre back' to where the ESB would leave off and pick up something there while picking up intermediate communities as they go. If they start to integrate 'in' then maybe the ESB will come further 'out'. :)

HTH

While us in the stix will not benefit directly we will no doubt benefit indirectly, the ESB rolling out fiber to the urban areas will make back-haul more accessible for community and commercial WISP's to get access to, which is one of the major stumbling blocks out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pretty sure I past by some fibre on overheads today, so may take off quickly once it wasn't just on trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Condi wrote: »

Yes sorry I should have been move clear. It was on 10kv poles, and running on its own and not wrapped around conductor like the pylons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Anyone think towns like Longford / Mullingar etc. would be in line for this iwhen it happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1025/1224325678975.html

Looks like it's gathering a bit of steam with a connection to the UK

• Advertisement

That court case is part of an ongoing squabble and is not really relevant to the plan the ESB have within the state save that the owners of ( or significant shareholders in) Sea Fibre ( also knows as Celtix Connect) are also the owners of a small dark fibre network in Leinster , map shown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Any latest developments with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Any developments? I heard somewhere that Vodafone had selected to be commercial partners but I can't find any info

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Guys I live in a pace about 5km out from Nenagh Co Tipperary and the esb pylons are about a km away from my house . Can you make a guess at what speed I've got ....

Well I'll just tell ya take a look at the sh*t speeds , oh and im payin for 6 Meg http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2861633249

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Guys I live in a pace about 5km out from Nenagh Co Tipperary and the esb pylons are about a km away from my house . Can you make a guess at what speed I've got ....

Well I'll just tell ya take a look at the sh*t speeds , oh and im payin for 6 Meg http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2861633249

What's that got to do with ESB?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What does this have to do with the thread?

What does this have to do with the thread?

If you read it properly you might notice that I was talking about the esb fibre network that passes straight over my head every day and I've got horribale speeds and the spedds that are on them fibres are at least 300 mb

If you read it properly you might notice that I was talking about the esb fibre network that passes straight over my head every day and I've got horribale speeds and the spedds that are on them fibres are at least 300 mb

ESB haven't rolled out there network so you aren't on it. You are probably on the Eircom network. The ESB fibre network will offer much better speeds when it gets rolled out.

ESB haven't rolled out there network so you aren't on it. You are probably on the Eircom network. The ESB fibre network will offer much better speeds when it gets rolled out.

No my ISP is ARRA communications there a wireless ISP and there base in limerick is connected back up to the back bone of internet which passes over my head

• Advertisement

No my ISP is ARRA communications there a wireless ISP and there base in limerick is connected back up to the back bone of internet which passes over my head

So the reason for the slowness is the wireless technology that they use. ESB are rolling out a completely different technology to what you have so your speeds are in no way indicative of what ESB will be offering.

Advertisement