Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Poppy came to bed in our room last night, she slept in a basket but came in under the duvet in the early hours. It probaby had something to do with all the drama yesterday. Our chimney went on fire so there were firemen in the house and attic and people staring at the house. I'd no idea it was on fire until someone knocked at the door to tell me. No Depeche Mode concert for us this weekend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Poppy came to bed in our room last night, she slept in a basket but came in under the duvet in the early hours. It probaby had something to do with all the drama yesterday. Our chimney went on fire so there were firemen in the house and attic and people staring at the house. I'd no idea it was on fire until someone knocked at the door to tell me. No Depeche Mode concert for us this weekend:(

Ah no. Would you not even drive up on Saturday just to go to the concert rather than taking a long weekend?

tk123 wrote: »
    Advice PLS!!
    My mum usually minds Bailey while I'm at work but has to go out tomorrow morning for a few hours...
    - Do I chance him in daycare - he went in for the first time in months the week before last delighted and had a great day..but last friday was too stressed when I was leaving him and after a few trys of taking him in I ended up dropping him home to my mum:(
    - Or do we leave him home alone for the few hours - which we've never done for fear of him barking the place down and hurting himself (we had a few years of him needing operations, recovering etc etc etc so never chanced it)? On one hand he mightn't be too bad because I'll already be gone... but on the other what if he gets too stressed out and does damage to himself/the house? Crating isn't an option because he used to try and break out of the crate in daycare with his nose and I think it'd stress him out more!
    GAH!

Would you try bringing him to daycare and see what happens and then if all else fails could you leave him in your Mums on his own for the few hours? Or take a day off work? Have you tried leaving him at home for an hour and seeing if you can see him on a webcam or something to see if he gets stressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just had the kitties over at the vets, Cream only has a small cut on his paw from his escapades with the window so just a little antibiotic injection for him, thank God! I had visions of xrays, surgery, crate rest.. I shudder at the thought! But got them both microchipped and Peach's vaccines so Cream has to go back again the day before the pet expo for his!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Would you try bringing him to daycare and see what happens and then if all else fails could you leave him in your Mums on his own for the few hours? Or take a day off work? Have you tried leaving him at home for an hour and seeing if you can see him on a webcam or something to see if he gets stressed?

I have no cover in work - otherwise I would have taken time off or worked from home but there needs to be somebody on site at all times.

I'm trying to think of what I could bring that would make him want to go in to daycare lol - maybe not give him his breakfast and bring it with us.. But at the same time I don't want him there all day stressed out and me worrying about him - he's gotten that bad before he's poo'd himself :( I could maybe leave him in and when my mum is back call and see how he's getting on and then take it from there - i work 5 mins from it so could take him home at lunch if I needed to.

I'm leaning towards taking him out early for a long walk/run then setting up cameras to watch him - at least that way I can record him and I'll have something to show the behaviourist I'm planning on calling about it. After last week I've decided I was putting it off too long and need to sort it. I'm just a bit worried he'll bark non stop and drive our neighbors mad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Advice PLS!!
    My mum usually minds Bailey while I'm at work but has to go out tomorrow morning for a few hours...
    - Do I chance him in daycare - he went in for the first time in months the week before last delighted and had a great day..but last friday was too stressed when I was leaving him and after a few trys of taking him in I ended up dropping him home to my mum:(
    - Or do we leave him home alone for the few hours - which we've never done for fear of him barking the place down and hurting himself (we had a few years of him needing operations, recovering etc etc etc so never chanced it)? On one hand he mightn't be too bad because I'll already be gone... but on the other what if he gets too stressed out and does damage to himself/the house? Crating isn't an option because he used to try and break out of the crate in daycare with his nose and I think it'd stress him out more!
    GAH!
    If you live near Dublin 6 I could mind Bailey for a few hours in the morning.
    I have a very friendly JRT.

Dodd wrote: »
    If you live near Dublin 6 I could mind Bailey for a few hours in the morning.
    I have a very friendly JRT.

Thanks but I'm on the northside.

I have no cover in work - otherwise I would have taken time off or worked from home but there needs to be somebody on site at all times.

I'm trying to think of what I could bring that would make him want to go in to daycare lol - maybe not give him his breakfast and bring it with us.. But at the same time I don't want him there all day stressed out and me worrying about him - he's gotten that bad before he's poo'd himself :( I could maybe leave him in and when my mum is back call and see how he's getting on and then take it from there - i work 5 mins from it so could take him home at lunch if I needed to.

I'm leaning towards taking him out early for a long walk/run then setting up cameras to watch him - at least that way I can record him and I'll have something to show the behaviourist I'm planning on calling about it. After last week I've decided I was putting it off too long and need to sort it. I'm just a bit worried he'll bark non stop and drive our neighbors mad!

If you tire him out and then leave him with a kong you might be able to sneak out and he won't even know you're gone. Try leaving your coat/bag out in the car and take your front key off the ring so there's no key jingling noise. If he sees/hears all the 'going' signals he may get worked up.

Yeah I think I'll try tiring him out and watching him from work! At least that way we'll know where we stand. I'll already be gone so it'll be my mum and dad leaving him but one can go first etc With Lucy we just leave her and she goes asleep...and when we come back she looks up then goes back asleep lol!

I leave the TV on to distract my dog from outside noise because she barks if she hears other dogs barking.
    And leave her with the kong.
    That works for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Ah no. Would you not even drive up on Saturday just to go to the concert rather than taking a long weekend?
    We don't drive so we were going to get the train. We'd been using the fire and putting off getting heating oil but I'd to put oil in the tank today since we can't use the fire, that was the money for the hotel gone on that and it'll be 150 euro call out charge for the fire brigade on top of that so most of the spending money was written off in 1 day. We wouldn't be able to get back home on Saturday night after the concert so we've no choice.

I just feel bad as it was my husbands birthday last weekend and the concert tickets were his present from me, the weekend in Dublin was our holiday for the year:( But hey, there are a lot of people out there struggling to keep their heads above water so I have to woman up now and get over it:)

We don't drive so we were going to get the train. We'd been using the fire and putting off getting heating oil but I'd to put oil in the tank today since we can't use the fire, that was the money for the hotel gone on that and it'll be 150 euro call out charge for the fire brigade on top of that so most of the spending money was written off in 1 day. We wouldn't be able to get back home on Saturday night after the concert so we've no choice.

I just feel bad as it was my husbands birthday last weekend and the concert tickets were his present from me, the weekend in Dublin was our holiday for the year:( But hey, there are a lot of people out there struggling to keep their heads above water so I have to woman up now and get over it:)

Ah no:(. That's so disappointing. If I lived in Dublin I'd offer you my spare room.

That's so disappointing, but at least ye are all safe, a chimney fire could have turned out a lot worse!

1 funny thing about the whole fire incident was that I recognised the head fireman as being a very good friend of 2 of my uncles when they were in their teens, many years ago. I recognised him and he recognised me even though we hadn't seen each other for about 20 years, so I can't be aging that badly:D

I love when things like that happen, nice to get a blast from the past :)

I had so much stuff from the secret santa on my laptop that it was a complete mess, now I've a nice neat little folder, feels so much more organised now :P

An even weirder thing is that when we were at the vet with Felix last Wednesday there was a lady in with her dog, I went to school with her and she is a firewoman at the same firestation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Foster dog won't stop barking. Want to strangle her :(

I caved to peer pressure and left him into daycare. He cried a little bit but didn't get stressed out...because I'd taken him for a walk at 6:30 and brough his breakfast with him which included his favourite - an egg! :rolleyes: He could have been on his own for hours which would have been too much to start with - going to leave him over the weekend for a shorter amount of time and record him.. Hopefully he'll be ok and not stressing out all day!

I am so tempted to buy this but my guys will never leave on a collar :(

http://www.firebox.com/product/6327/G-Paws-Pet-GPS-Tracker?via=whatsnew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

^^The GPS tracker is a good idea but I wouldnt buy it because it's not a quick release collar. But then again, if it was quick release I'd probably be broke shelling out €59 each time it snapped off. :pac:

I was looking at an anti bird catching collar for Eddie in PetStop the other day but it's not quick release either so didn't go for it.

• Advertisement

Those collars look great but I wouldn't want to use one in an urban area, even if they had a quick release collar, I'd be afraid someone would grab my cat just to steal the collar

Also it's not a live tracking device either and battery life is only 8hrs so it's definitely not what I'd want it for. I'd only want this to track my cat if he got lost and hopefully have it last longer than 8hrs.

I'd love to use it to see where Cream goes, he always comes home smelling like chicken :pac: as in live chickens not the cooked stuff!! But with the rate they lose break away collars it just wouldn't be practical in case they did damage to themselves!

I was looking online for a kingsize throw for our bed, now that the weathers very damp, the cats run up and jump on the bed with us when they've done a perimeter check and they want to warm up. Anyway, I came across the old Candlewick bedspreads, those of you over 40 will probably remember them. Not what I'm looking for though. Haven't seen those since I was a child, I'd a lemon one on my bed and my brother had a blue one:)

Throws are half price in homestore and more!! ;)

:-( Anyways feeling heartbroken and guilty over Bailey - when I was collecting him and the girl went to get him I knew something was wrong. He got that stressed out that he scraped the walls of his pen/kennel (I don't know what to call it) and wore a patch off one of his pads - his whole paw was bright red with blood. :( They cleaned and bandaged it to cover it for walking thru the car park . I don't know if I need to take him to the vet or if they'll just tell me to let the air at it but put a boot on for walks etc :confused: He's very precious of his front paws so don't want to stress him at the vets if I don't need to. I don't know now if I can take him to hydro now tomorrow either. :(:(:(

:-( Anyways feeling heartbroken and guilty over Bailey - when I was collecting him and the girl went to get him I knew something was wrong. He got that stressed out that he scraped the walls of his pen/kennel (I don't know what to call it) and wore a patch off one of his pads - his whole paw was bright red with blood. :( They cleaned and bandaged it to cover it for walking thru the car park . I don't know if I need to take him to the vet or if they'll just tell me to let the air at it but put a boot on for walks etc :confused: He's very precious of his front paws so don't want to stress him at the vets if I don't need to. I don't know now if I can take him to hydro now tomorrow either. :(:(:(

Why did they keep him penned if he was getting so obviously stressed? There has to be an option to keep him out?

Why did they keep him penned if he was getting so obviously stressed? There has to be an option to keep him out?

No not in this one. :( They said he'd been fine all day - playing and this evening went into the bed himself without having to be coaxed. I didn't want to send him but was guilt tripped ( LONG story) into it.

Hi.Have tried those plugin things that let off a vaper to destress the dog or the dog jacket that is for the same.?

I was thinking about ways to sort this out if you have PC at work and home.
    Now it might sound mad(yes I am a bit)but Skype and remote access to your home PC.
    If you make a soundboard with your dogs commands and have this on home PC so as not to have it on work PC.
    Now you will have your recording of you giving the commands once you click on that button on the soundboard.
    So if Bailey is barking you can click button "Bailey" then button "sush" than "get what ever toy" .
    The reason for the soundboard is so you don't need to say(shout)the commands in work.:)

I was was watching love/hate and Frans dogs were barking.
    My dog jumps up to see what it is while growling.
    Fran tells his dogs to STFU and they did but my dog also understands the command so she just dropped back to lying down.:) even though it was the TV that told her to.

TK, you're going to absolutely hate me for saying this, but when you post about Bailey sometimes, especially the last few days I actually get a knot in my stomach as I know you're stressed about him. :o

I've followed Bailey's story since day dot and I know (genuinely know) how much time and effort you've put into him, but sometimes I feel (and I swear this is just me saying this) that maybe, just maybe you need to take a step back from worrying about him a little bit.

I too went through the crate rest/rehabiliation issue....accompanied by the unreal worrying the comes after that aswell (Beanie's luxated patella).

When you posted yesterday about your anxiety about leaving him for a few hours and the effort you've gone to to prevent his separation anxiety, it seems both of you have gotten worked up in the process. Most dogs, should be able to be left for a few hours with no hassle. I genuinely and honestly couldn't understand why he can't be left on his own for a few hours.

Maybe I'm completely missing the point or something,but there's an awful lot of worry attached to him that I'm not understanding at all, now that's he's doing physically fantastic.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Anniehoo, I think Bailey has real, genuine separation anxiety.
    Tk, have you exhausted the possibility of a small, really small daycare facility? How would Bailey feel about being dropped off at someone's home, rather than a big daycare?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement