Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

That's the thing,there are many on this forum that live in the area that could look after Bailey for a few hours and get the dog used to being away from home.
    Even start with 20 minute play with a dog at someone's home where you are not there,then work from there.
    My dog gets SA and so do I.
    What I advised above is some thing I still can't do.
    The most I have left her for with someone was 7/8 minutes and that was a friend.
    These things need to be sorted or it will only get worse in the event where you have to leave Bailey for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Can a ask what room you leave the dog in when you are not home.
    If my dog has no access to the front door then she will bark.
    If she has access she will wait there for me to come home while knowing no one else has come into the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    Anniehoo, I think Bailey has real, genuine separation anxiety.
    Tk, have you exhausted the possibility of a small, really small daycare facility? How would Bailey feel about being dropped off at someone's home, rather than a big daycare?

I'm going to get help - I'd been putting it off with work schedules and other crap but making the call tomorrow...well actually later today because it's 3:40am(!) - he topped it all off by having a nice poo explosion there! He went out the back and lay down for about 10 mins but then came over to just outside the door and let go! Cleaned up as much as I could at and have put a 'danger poo' sign on the back door :p. Of course I'm wide awake now and the other two are fast asleep with the pup snoring!

It's separation anxiety and it's genuine/bad and most definitely his and not mine. I can't take a step back from him smashing his face and ripping his paws open or risk him lashing out at somebody. It's also defintely something you have to experience to understand otherwise its the usual over protective attitude from people or suggestions for things we tried 4 years ago - no offence to anyone but seriously unless you've seen it and gone thru it you just won't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm not having a good week lump wise. I found one on Coco earlier :(. Straight into the vets, she's not 100% what it is, it doesn't feel just as pliable as a lipoma, but it's not as hard as a tumour. It's right in under her armpit and the vet thinks it may be attached to her rib and it may have grown to protect it if she got a bang on it, like a ganglion cyst. So it's back tomorrow for xrays and biopsy as of course madam had demanded her breakfast at 8am and I only found it when she was getting post breakfast belly rubs.

Oh poor Coco! My friend had a bit of a nightmare with cyst/fatty lumps on her retriever. The wounds just wouldn't heal - turned out she was allergic to the material the drain was made of!

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh poor Coco! My friend had a bit of a nightmare with cyst/fatty lumps on her retriever. The wounds just wouldn't heal - turned out she was allergic to the material the drain was made of!

Ugh, I just felt sick all morning before I went in. I'm only having breakfast now, I couldn't stomach it after I found it. I was TERRIFIED because of where it was, I'd never seen lipomas there and they're the only non bad lumps I could think of. Not a great start to my birthday.:o

Hows Baileys paw today TK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Happy birthday borderlinemeath! There are so many lumps and bumps that dogs can get without it being anything sinister, so even though I know just how hard it is, try not to let yourself get too worried about it - I'm sure it will turn out to be just fine like with benson :)

Happy birthday borderlinemeath! There are so many lumps and bumps that dogs can get without it being anything sinister, so even though I know just how hard it is, try not to let yourself get too worried about it - I'm sure it will turn out to be just fine like with benson :)

Thanks, it's so hard not to worry. At least with Benson I was slightly comforted (if that's the right expression) that if the worst possible scenario came true that at least it was on a part of his body that he could live without.

Hows Baileys paw today TK?

The wound has settled down and doesn't look as bad but he's limping on it so must be a bit sore. I can't tell if the nail beside it is worn/chipped or just blood stained.

Happy birthday btw! :)

Thanks, it's so hard not to worry. At least with Benson I was slightly comforted (if that's the right expression) that if the worst possible scenario came true that at least it was on a part of his body that he could live without.

I know how you feel, when I was younger my old dog had a tennis ball sized lump on her neck. No matter how much my parents tried to reassure me it was just a fatty lump I couldn't help but worry so when I saw the vets car at the farm across the road I snuck over with the dog and got him to have a look, I was a lot more convinced after the vet reassuring me, even though I was a hysterical 10 year old!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Ugh, I just felt sick all morning before I went in. I'm only having breakfast now, I couldn't stomach it after I found it. I was TERRIFIED because of where it was, I'd never seen lipomas there and they're the only non bad lumps I could think of. Not a great start to my birthday.:o

God, poor you. :( Hopefully this will be good news too, my fingers are crossed for you all.

Happy birthday! :)

Rather than start a thread... I'm thinking of getting a walking belt (the Trailbaby ones that have been mentioned before look great)..but I'm wondering if the dogs will criss-cross and trip me up! Do they take much getting used to? Sometimes they want to walk side by side, sometimes one will go on each side and sometimes they'll switch! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I've been thinking of getting one too and wondered the same. Holding 2 leads, a torch and a poo bag is a bit tricky! My two tend to criss-cross a bit too. At least with the lead I can put on the brakes, but with a belt I'd be worried that I'd have no control.

I've been thinking of getting one too and wondered the same. Holding 2 leads, a torch and a poo bag is a bit tricky! My two tend to criss-cross a bit too. At least with the lead I can put on the brakes, but with a belt I'd be worried that I'd have no control.

Get a head torch, I got one on sports direct ages ago and it was only about €6. This one looks identical to mine but is more expensive, but I would imagine they would have them in Heatons or Lifestyle or a camping/hiking shop.

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear-Reviews/Search-Results/Accessories/Search-Results/Wynnster-12-LED-Head-Torch/

I find that the dogs do end up crossing on the walking belt but I tend to hold the leads anyway which gives a lot less opportunity. It's a great back up in case you fall flat on your face, just like I did last weekend!

A belt would be handy even just to clip them to for a few mins if you need to free up one of your hands? I have a Doog belt that claims you can clip an dog either side but I don't think it'd be strong enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

Rather than start a thread... I'm thinking of getting a walking belt (the Trailbaby ones that have been mentioned before look great)..but I'm wondering if the dogs will criss-cross and trip me up! Do they take much getting used to? Sometimes they want to walk side by side, sometimes one will go on each side and sometimes they'll switch! :p

I may be wrong, but I think these systems are designed for dogs that are trained to work in a team so there may be some time involved before your lads get in synch.

I'm dogless at the moment, but when I used to walk a pair I clipped both leads to separate D-rings on my jacket using carabiners. Worked great until they decided to run in separate directions or start rolling around in the grass together.

I don't know how the trailbaby system works, but I got good results by connecting Woody to me via his extension lead and then connecting Luna to his harness via a shorter lead. Only had issues when they both stopped to roll in something or chase a bit of paper :rolleyes:
    May only work if one dog is happy to follow the other, but Luna would often drop back to trot alongside Woody.

I only used this system when in safe areas as I preferred to have them both on separate static leads when around traffic etc as I felt I had better control over them.

A belt would be handy even just to clip them to for a few mins if you need to free up one of your hands? I have a Doog belt that claims you can clip an dog either side but I don't think it'd be strong enough!

I find it so handy for picking up poo, rather than having your wrist pulled when you're trying to get it into the bag and tie it as quickly as possible. Or sometimes if we're in the fields Benson gets a load of ditch debris stuck in his coat that I need to pull out. (honestly, his coat is like velcro for brambles and other hedgerow bits!) I never go out without the belt now, it's just an extra safety measure for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What a day. I heard hissing and growling in the kitchen this morning and found Toby cowering while Felix stood over him. Couple of bits of fur in the hall but nothing major, or so I thought. They went their seperate ways and Toby came back to bed with me while Felix did some bird watching. When I came down later on there was blood spatter on the back door and drops of blood on the kitchen floor:eek:

All I could see is a slash on Toby's ear, poor chap can't seem to defend his ears or face and ends up with scabs everywhere:( I don't know if it was Felix that he was fighting with as he was soaking wet after coming in from the rain a few minutes before hand, I'm hoping he just shook his head when he came in. Any more of this and I'll have to look at talking to a pet behaviourist.

Had to go to the hospital with my mum this morning so I was worried leaving them unsupervised, then her appointment was delayed by almost 3 hours:rolleyes: When I got home there was no sign of Toby but Tabby puss was waiting for dinner on the shed. Toby home safe and sound now, and all are accounted for.

Between today and Monday's chimney fire I need a very large drink:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

What a day. I heard hissing and growling in the kitchen this morning and found Toby cowering while Felix stood over him. Couple of bits of fur in the hall but nothing major, or so I thought. They went their seperate ways and Toby came back to bed with me while Felix did some bird watching. When I came down later on there was blood spatter on the back door and drops of blood on the kitchen floor:eek:

All I could see is a slash on Toby's ear, poor chap can't seem to defend his ears or face and ends up with scabs everywhere:( I don't know if it was Felix that he was fighting with as he was soaking wet after coming in from the rain a few minutes before hand, I'm hoping he just shook his head when he came in. Any more of this and I'll have to look at talking to a pet behaviourist.

Had to go to the hospital with my mum this morning so I was worried leaving them unsupervised, then her appointment was delayed by almost 3 hours:rolleyes: When I got home there was no sign of Toby but Tabby puss was waiting for dinner on the shed. Toby home safe and sound now, and all are accounted for.

Between today and Monday's chimney fire I need a very large drink:)

A large drink? You deserve a medal......

I'm off out now for my very large drink. I'll raise a glass for you pumpkinseeds!

• Advertisement

I haven't had a drunken post on here in a while! I love you guys :D have to say thanks, because I have really appreciated having this forum to talk to fellow animal people on , my friends are sick of my crazy cat lady antics!!

Bailey was crying on and off during the night...he didn't want to get up and decided to lie on a cushion beside Lucy's crate for a couple of hours with the odd whine to wake me up...an hour ago he wanted to go out...open the door and lies on the ground for a few mins and farts then comes back in 30 mins later and goes back to bed! Wide awake (again)....All of that for a FART....!? I'm relieved and suspicious at the same time :p

News flash - there was a small explosion in a bedroom on the east coast this morning, one pair of retried jeans (in the bin pile) were killed but no other causalties.. A Yankee candle has been deployed. :p:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Last night I kind of noticed that Tara wasn't in her bed near me like she usually is, but just assumed that she'd taken herself to bed early.. the dogs sleep in our bedroom.
    Anyway walked into the ensuite an hour or so later to find the entire contents of the bin pulled out and shredded all over the floor! She didn't even have the decency to have a guilty look on her face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Poppy is loving our bed now. We have a feather duvet that she doesn't really trust to walk on, but she's getting in under it on my side and sleeping on the sheets with the duvet partially covering her and using my arm as a pillow. All very cute except that she expects me to budge over so she can have a warm bit of the mattress:D

I got a huge throw in Pennys yesterday, we needed a nice big fleecy one for Toby to stop the duvet getting destroyed when he jumps on the bed soaking wet from his adventures in the rain. It's one of the Christmassy/Nordic ones with lots of colours in it to hide the cat fur:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just popped into the pet shop and I've fallen in love. I have a feeling I might have found our next hammie. Now I just have to convince my other half...

Just popped into the pet shop and I've fallen in love. I have a feeling I might have found our next hammie. Now I just have to convince my other half...

Aww that's brilliant news, any hammie would be lucky to have ye :)

Just back from the vets with Coco and she's in the clear. Yay!!!

The xray showed the lump was on the rib from where she must have walloped herself or slipped off something (and she's a divil for climbing in ditches and on the rocks at the beach) when they took a biopsy it was bloody fluid rather than a tumour mass. Also on the xray it wasn't as 'angry' looking as a tumour would be. So observation and see if there's any changes at all in the coming weeks but going on what came out they're happy that it's not a tumour.

Yaaay glad Coco is ok!

I can't believe how lucky I am. Two lumps in two weeks and both benign. So so relieved.

• Advertisement

Lucky dogs for you to spot it and have them at the vets so quick.
    Poor Bailey is limping on the paw - I got him new booties yesterday to cushion it a bit and took him 2 mins around the corner to the green but he's a bit miserable. Only dawned on me there that have a stock of Previcox from last time he was at the vet and she prescribed extra for me to have on hand if needed! DUH! Hopefully he won't need an xray because he's due more bloods in a couple of weeks = €€€€'s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement