Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

My mam was devastated when I moved out and took my two kittens and had decided to either foster or adopt another one or two to fill the void. Was on Facebook earlier and a picture popped up from one of the animal rescues I follow. It was a kitten looking for a home. It looks identical to one of my kittens so I showed my mam and she emailed the rescue saying she would adopt her and was convinced to adopt her brother too :D quite a turnaround for someone who hated cats before I got mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My mam was devastated when I moved out and took my two kittens and had decided to either foster or adopt another one or two to fill the void. Was on Facebook earlier and a picture popped up from one of the animal rescues I follow. It was a kitten looking for a home. It looks identical to one of my kittens so I showed my mam and she emailed the rescue saying she would adopt her and was convinced to adopt her brother too :D quite a turnaround for someone who hated cats before I got mine!
    Cats are like crisps, you can't just stop after 1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cats are like crisps, you can't just stop after 1:D

Never have a seen a more true statement :D

Tell me about it haha I constantly have to talk myself out of getting a third!

We were determined not to have any more. Then Felix showed up, so we took him in, then a year later Jasper arrived. In the space of the past 6 months we have Toby and Poppy. There's also the visiting tabby thats been coming for breakfast and dinner every day for ages now:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

tk123 I don't think you answered my Q about the plugin thing/jacket that help with dog anxiety.
    I have not tried them myself but my dog is fine for an hour or two.
    She was bad but I worked time away from her up at stages and good doggie when not barking when I got home:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dodd wrote: »
    tk123 I don't think you answered my Q about the plugin thing/jacket that help with dog anxiety.
    I have not tried them myself but my dog is fine for an hour or two.
    She was bad but I worked time away from her up at stages and good doggie when not barking when I got home:

I've tried it all with little success. Behaviourist coming in 2 weeks to help us!

Btw is that our one of our mad cat ladies being quoted on Pet Expo's FB?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

tk123 wrote: »

Aw look it's Peach!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just popped into the pet shop and I've fallen in love. I have a feeling I might have found our next hammie. Now I just have to convince my other half...

Convinced!! We just bought our new little fluffster. :D Were picking her up Monday, have to do a little preparing of the cage first. Now the name debate begins... SO EXCITED!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congratulations Babyandcrumble. Photographs of course at the earliest opportunity.......

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    I've tried it all with little success. Behaviourist coming in 2 weeks to help us!

I was asked to send them a paragraph yesterday to advertise myself :pac: :pac:

Layinghen wrote: »
    Congratulations Babyandcrumble. Photographs of course at the earliest opportunity.......

Ask and you shall receive... Took these in the shop, they're looking after her until we pick her up.

Anyone have any great name suggestions???? My immediate thought is Edwina, no clue why!!!

Ask and you shall receive... Took these in the shop, they're looking after her until we pick her up.

Anyone have any great name suggestions???? My immediate thought is Edwina, no clue why!!!

Ahh, she's gorgeous, I love the name, it reminds me of Edina from Absolutely Fabulous:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

She is magnificent. Edwina seems like a very fitting name for such cuteness. Sadie might be nice as well.

She's beautiful! Very excited for more pics of her next week :-D

Lucy did a messy poo right outside somebody's gate around the corner on the way home...went back down with yard brush and watering can of disinfectant...that smells like baby powder lol! Somebody is going to be very confused when they come home! :p

So we've been giving Ollie that seaweed stuff from DogsFirst, Canident I think, for a couple of weeks now and last night he had a chunk of an oxtail bone. Cleaned (some of) his teeth up nicely :D

ec8147ad-1b13-4149-bb89-b87503f700ac.jpg

In the 3 years I've had him he's had to go under anesthetic twice for teeth cleaning. He was fed exclusively on dry nuts (so much for that myth!) up until about April this year when I switched to gRÁW. Still trying to get the hang of the raw meaty bones thing, the few butchers I've been to are very reluctant to give me anything bar a sawn leg bone :rolleyes: but we'll get there.

Do any of you guys think his tartar might be too severe though and require another trip to the vet? Don't want him to develop any kind of gum disease or anything.

94035fce-1261-4996-b537-7883a0e47c55.jpg

I try him with some more bones first - you can give stuff like chicken legs, pork ribs, lamb breast, oxtail and stuff like that in place of the gRaw so it's a meal and bone in one if that makes sense. Lamb shoulder bones are good from the butcher - not too big and not too many shards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Wow cocolola, that's amazing, must get some for my girl.
    Two dogs same diet, one has perfect teeth, the younger has bad tartar.
    I use plaque off from time to time, and give nice meaty bones, but she's still got bad teeth.
    Lamb ribs are nice and soft, mine love chicken, thighs and legs too.

Forgot to say - if he won't let you brush his teeth rubbing in some of the toothpaste will make a difference. I was always having to brush Bailey's teeth when he was on dry food.

• Advertisement

Preparations are under high alert for in incoming new hammie tomorrow! So exciting. Still can't come up with a good name though... We're leaning towards slightly "old fashioned" lady names... Emilia is a possibility. And we could put lots of airplane themed toys in! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Aww Congrats, babyandcrumble, she's beautiful!!

Our house has turned in to a bit of a madhouse, we've taken in another dog. He belonged to an elderly lady who passed away and he and another dog have been living in the yard of that house with a relative going around daily to feed, hug, play etc with them. With winter coming I wanted to get them out of where they were living because it's no life for them and we're in a position financially and accommodation-ly to be able to help out. So my OHs sister took one of the dogs and we now have Oscar, who is a lovely wee Glen of Imaal terrier (Wicklow Terrier) who is nearing on 20 (!!!!) years of age. Exact age is unknown, my OH remembers him being around when he was 16/17 and had been there for a number of years prior and that was 15 years ago. He's mostly deaf and needs to be carried up and down the stairs but I don't think I've ever met a happier dog. I'll have to post up a photo of him in his prime on the photo thread, his current state isn't great but it's nothing a little TLC and inside living won't help.

:D Lucy went into the sea today - she's been afraid of the waves the last few times but followed her big brothers as my friend calls them (Bailey and my friend's dog) in and had a great time!
    ...This evening she was half asleep having her supper and then I opened the door for her to go out to have a wee..she jumped up onto the lounger and went to go asleep, said something like 'no busy busy Lucy!!' ..she got up and wee'd on the lounger (it's mesh so it just spilled thru) does that count as an accident lol?! :p

I know I said two cats is my limit but I wanted to take this little guy home so bad :D

1004685_10202384501999377_261857562_n.jpg

I am MAJORLY jealous!!! I'd love to cuddle a baby cheetah!!

It felt the same as holding my bigger kitten, except his fur is more wirey! I even made him purr giving him chin rubs. he was mad running around trying to play :D

Cream just ran down to my room, jumped up on my bed, kissed me, meowed loudly into my face and then ran away. I don't really know what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Saturday was Max's (our stray cats) one month anniversary of living inside. On saturday night he decided that yes, he does actually want to be patted.. and constantly :pac:. Spent about an hour patting him on the floor until my arms got tired and when I stopped he started hitting me! He even jumped up on the couch beside me for a snuggle last night :)
    Still doesn't want to be patted if I'm standing, I have to be sitting and he comes to me but hurrah for progress (finally)!

And because it's getting so cold at night times Cinnamon had started joining us under the covers every night. I love winter for this reason alone, because Cinnamon is a very contrary little being and isn't the biggest hugger unless it's winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I run my own photography business page on facebook and last night I received a message from a woman asking about my dog Moone as she was identical to her dog Pippin. I had a look at her pictures and they are the absolute image of each other! Pippin looks to be a bit taller than Moone. After chatting for a while we found out we got our dogs from the same family in Moone county Kildare (I was so original in choosing my dogs name!). Pippin was from the same parents but had been born a year previous to Moone. We were amazed and would love for our dogs to meet each other some day :) Feels like those Jeremy Kyle "find my family" moments XD

• Advertisement

Poppy decided to help me make the bed last night, someone definitely taught her the sheet surfing game at some stage in her past, she's like lightening. The sheet surfing game seems to have strengthened her bond with me as she came to bed with us and used me as a pillow for hours while I tried to read a book:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement